Duels promote griefing

Harsha..

I'd definitely vote as well.

It would be a stretch to make the developers implement it though as they spend all their time designing new clothes and OP sets... :(

Pankreas PorFavor

I'd definitely vote as well.

It would be a stretch to make the developers implement it though as they spend all their time designing new clothes and OP sets... :(

it won't get implemented, that's 100% sure. can you remember the last idea player's had that was implemented? :(

DeletedUser38915

Click on Cinema it might say, "choose your role"
It's OK to choose slimy outlaw! :D
But ask yourself should an outlaw get bragging rights?

foscock

Banned
coward status -> negative penalty, e.g. 20% lower labor points, decreased chance to hit/dodge in FFs and adventures etc.
I'd vote for this :)
Why should dueling, or showing no interest in dueling, have any affect on fort fights or adventures? Would you vote if it was reversed, and those who don't play adventures get penalized in forts and duels and get lower drop rates on jobs?

Pankreas PorFavor

Why should dueling, or showing no interest in dueling, have any affect on fort fights or adventures? Would you vote if it was reversed, and those who don't play adventures get penalized in forts and duels and get lower drop rates on jobs?

why? simply because that's the game design that I like. take risk to make an extra buck, or settle for less without taking risks.
if you decide that you don't want to take any risks (turn off duels), you'd be penalized in other parts of the game. kind of like giving a part of your income to pay for insurance or paying for protection ;)
if you decide not to participate in adventures, you're not avoiding risks (you don't lose HP or energy or cash if you lose an adventure), you're just not trying to get the rewards connected with adventures and that's a penalty in itself IMHO.
FFs are similar to duels (because you can lose energy, hp, cash), but also different. I would vote for something like this - if you don't participate in FFs (e.g. you need to join a certain percent of FFs in the last 3 months), you cannot sleep in them, your town loses points etc. or some other penalties I can't think of right now :)

I've chosen not to participate in adventure - I don't get the items, achievements, xp, no extra event currency (flowers/hearts/rockets/etc.) = I am penalized in a way.
I don't do FFs - I get no experience, bonds, event currency (but I use alliance forts that others fought for, which I don't really like) = I am penalized in a way
I don't do duels (situation today) - I need to put in an extra effort to get KOed and earn 72h of peace or I go townless = I am penalized for not participating.
I don't do duels (if it was enabled to turn them off) - I walk around without worries, using max clothes bonus for cash/experience/luck/product drop, I don't need to worry about losing HP before a FF etc. = I am actually rewarded for not participating.
if turning duels off was implemented, it would be the only category in this game where you would actually get rewarded for not participating. the only downside I can think of right now - you wouldn't get the achievements (or you would do that, you'd duel people, and then turn the dueling option off).

Junkz

You already get a bad mortician on your town if you duel lower players, thats enough of a coward status. You guys love to complicate
This is a game, you're supposed to have fun. Not take the fun out of it.

Why get penalties for not participating in anything? If you don't wanna do FF, don't. If you don't wanna do quests, don't. If you don't wanna do duels, don't.
If you wanna be protected from duels, KO yourself.

Would love to see you all survive on the real west :)
"oh please wait, don't duel me, i'll complain about it"

This topic is not taking no one anywhere.
It's just people whinning.

Last edited:

DeletedUser38915

This topic is not taking no one anywhere.
It's just people whinning.

If you don't like a topic, don't?

Since following this topic found it answered some questions I had from reading previous post and what people mention in the game sometimes. I can see both sides to the dueling question and thought the exchange of views was interesting.

In one world, I am a dueler and ran across something on a profile that said, "I don't want to duel or be dueled" and so I actually messaged out of good will, "no problem as long as you have that on your profile will not duel you".

In that case, it isn't a rule but just out of common curiosity observing an another players wishes.I did that also because I was role playing a bounty hunter dueler and not a criminal that duels for fun and steals horses.

"Tat somethin' never gone and done in the west, did shine boots at one time but never stole nothin' - but not sayin' everyone need follow thit same code of conduct nor tat it should be again the rules unless the marshel say otherwise."

Last edited by a moderator:

Pankreas PorFavor

This is a game, you're supposed to have fun. Not take the fun out of it.

exactly. if you have chosen to play a game where you need to equip a rifle, pistol or a knife - wth do you think how are they going to be used? other players also use them and they'll try to shoot or stab you. if you don't like it, choose a game where you use something fluffy. this is a game with weapons. use them, or play something else.

DeletedUser38915

Play something else? Right. I agree with both sides to this discussion as both sides makes sense to me. If the game is the west then clearly the theme comes from the historical events around the ...

"Definition and Summary: The Wild West was so named for the lawlessness of the untamed territories west of the Mississippi River - the western United States during its frontier period. The period of the Wild West was from 1865 - 1895, a period of thirty years." - http://www.american-historama.org/1881-1913-maturation-era/wild-west.htm

Yes, this was a place where outlaws roamed the land but then there was something else, so were there settlers, farmers, natives and lawmakers.
Old western members would carry a gun for protection, hunting, peacemaking and justice.

Junkz

Old western members would carry a gun for protection, hunting, peacemaking and justice.

They carry it for protection yet the protection they seek is by protesting on the forums? Makes a bit to none sense to me...

(i'm a worker in most of the worlds I play, so 0 skills towards duelling, but this still makes no sense to me)

Pankreas PorFavor

Play something else? Right.

you said it yourself below:

this was a place where outlaws roamed the land but then there was something else, so were there settlers, farmers, natives and lawmakers.

outlaws roam the land. protect yourself. don't want to? play something else where you don't have to, or stop complaining. that's all I'm saying. stop trying to change this western themed game with outlaws and bandits. be a settler, be a farmer, be a trapper - but then do what they did and protect yourself. if you don't like it - play a game that you do like and let us play this one as it is.
if I was playing a pirate themed game and complain how all I want to do is sail around, enjoy the scenery, pick coconuts and catch fish, but they're firing their cannons at me and keep robbing and sinking my ship, would that make sense?

DeletedUser38915

They carry it for protection yet the protection they seek is by protesting on the forums? Makes a bit to none sense to me...

(i'm a worker in most of the worlds I play, so 0 skills towards duelling, but this still makes no sense to me)

What is they referring to in your post? If someone is a worker, dueler, soldier or adventurer I'm going to assume it means it is for role playing purposes in a western themed game. I didn't think in order to play the game you need to belong to the military in real life or be a registered gun owner. The OP gave a viewpoint, I didn't read it as protesting but do read protesting on what others post.

outlaws roam the land. protect yourself. don't want to? play something else where you don't have to, or stop complaining. that's all I'm saying. stop trying to change this western themed game with outlaws and bandits. be a settler, be a farmer, be a trapper - but then do what they did and protect yourself. if you don't like it - play a game that you do like and let us play this one as it is.
if I was playing a pirate themed game and complain how all I want to do is sail around, enjoy the scenery, pick coconuts and catch fish, but they're firing their cannons at me and keep robbing and sinking my ship, would that make sense?

I understand what you are saying but I am not complaining, protesting or unhappy with the game. I like the western game and how it functions. I do however detect some discontent, even hostility among members playing it.

If it was a pirate themed game and all about firing cannons like a zombie game I once played. Kill the zombie. Then another zombie comes. Kill the zombie. Go to a higher level. Two more badder zombies come. Get a bigger gun. Kill the zombies. Go to a higher level. Three more....boring.

But thank goodness The West is not a zombie game but is versatile enough to include all kinds of different roles.

I think that if members want to discuss game activity it is a plus for the game because it shows interest in the game unless of course another member having a different viewpoint on how the game functions doesn't like a members opinion and so tells other members to go play something else.

:rolleyes:

Pankreas PorFavor

I understand what you are saying but I am not complaining, protesting or unhappy with the game. I like the western game and how it functions. I do however detect some discontent, even hostility among members playing it.

I see now that I wrote it in an awkward way. when I wrote "if you don't like it...." I meant "if someone doesn't like it...", it wasn't directed specifically at you. it was a general statement

But thank goodness The West is not a zombie game but is versatile enough to include all kinds of different roles.

and if you said - remove those zombies (in a game that's about killing zombies), what would that mean? no, you left the game because you don't like it. or, are you still playing it and complaining about zombies in the game forum? I hope not ;)

I think that if members want to discuss game activity it is a plus for the game because it shows interest in the game unless of course another member having a different viewpoint on how the game functions doesn't like a members opinion and so tells other members to go play something else.

:rolleyes:

you see, that's a spin on what I said. I didn't tell someone to leave the game because I disagree with their opinion. that's a false accusation. I told them to leave the game if they don't like it and stop trying to change the game that other players play and like. I'll use a metaphor - asking someone to drain the pool because they can't swim is the reason to ask them to leave the pool or tell them (and help them) to learn to swim. other people came there to swim and that is the purpose of the pool. asking to get rid of water is selfish and unfair. discussing if the water should be a bit colder or warmer is not the reason to ask them to leave, and that's not what I did.

there is a way to play The West duel-free. but people who are lazy and selfish and don't want to accept the downside of duel-free game want to remove the dueling option from the game and kill the bandit/outlaw role in a western themed game. that's not acceptable to me and I will always argue against it.

DeletedUser38915

I told them to leave the game if they don't like it and stop trying to change the game that other players play and like... .............remove the dueling option from the game and kill the bandit/outlaw role in a western themed game. that's not acceptable to me and I will always argue against it.
Sorry partner, wasn't sure what you meant. I'm not suggesting changing the game theme but it is kind of cool to read or discuss what would happen if this was implemented or that implemented and what would happen.
We are having a general discussion and I agree with you if someone really wants something changed the way to go about it is to do it under development discussions. I like how it is done in that section as the idea is either approved or rejected and that settles that. Of course before an idea actually gets there people I assume want to hash ideas over and that sometimes means for or against.

It is my opinion from in-game experience players complain as a social function and not about how the game functions. I also think dueling is part of the game and don't reject it however I see the other side of the coin from a social point of view. Members that are keen on dueling express in written form that they expect others to play the game the way they play it. I've seen bold statements like "The West is a dueling game" which I personally don't think is true. It can be individually role played. I see profile pages instructing others that they need to fight back by dueling with them to be good players. Not true.

There are ways to fight back by not dueling if someone wants to play the game another way. But yes they can do it without telling others how they should play or wanting the game to function differently.

Interestingly enough perhaps social disagreements between players will always exist exactly like it did in real western society.