Duelling changes - The West Beta!

• Thread starter DeletedUser8627
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I said this before. If you opt out of duling completely you wont be able to do quests which require dueling aspect of the game so complete opt out isnt possible.

im not skilled to duel period even armed i cant hit as i have 0 points in anything remotly related to dueling as im a full trader so can not do those quest anyway as for getting attacked more often yes 1 time is more often than i was befor and its been way more than once since the update now to the point i feel duelers are harassing me every one that dry gulches me is harassment.so a opt out option would be taken by me gladly

DeletedUser

There will never be an opt pout for dueling, in the past i suggested being able to opt out of dueling for so many days per month - there`s plenty of duelers out there to carry on dueling while those who dont can use an opt out - i think it could work but they to scred to even try it. What the duelers want - the duelers get

DeletedUser33353

Never say never Micky, this game is fluid. Things change all of the time here.

asdf124

Well im also an "old" player and just to clerify things: old west was an different game than present game:
- much longer traveling times --> less duels
- no items whatsoever for nuggets/bonds
- no skill buying and so on
so i dont get this kinda rude reply from you...

Improve dueling? No problem but then first get rid of the ZMD - as Pty pointed out - combine duel motivation to money gained from duel.

Duel motivation should effect effeciency odmf duels, it would kinda make sense. If your duel motivation is low, your gonna hit less likely and get hit more likely. That and your hit could be made less effective (damage lowered.)

I bet that should make sense and will probably make zmd throw the towel.

DeletedUser

There will never be an opt pout for dueling, in the past i suggested being able to opt out of dueling for so many days per month - there`s plenty of duelers out there to carry on dueling while those who dont can use an opt out - i think it could work but they to scred to even try it. What the duelers want - the duelers get

The thing is Mickey, in some of the older worlds, there aren't enough duellers to carry on duelling. On Arizona, at level 450, I now have around 24 people I could duel at any given time. That includes some duellers, but mostly fort fighters, traders and questers. There is an opt out for 72 hours at a time, but you have to now spend 12 energy getting it instead of 1.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser36979

The thing is Mickey, in some of the older worlds, there aren't enough duellers to carry on duelling. On Arizona, at level 450, I now have around 24 people I could duel at any given time. That includes some duellers, but mostly fort fighters, traders and questers. There is an opt out for 72 hours at a time, but you have to now spend 12 energy getting it instead of 1.

24 at 450... nice, that is more than total active players on some national servers, but nothing is done about that... because noone is doing much duelling there, and like Mickey said, "what the duelers want, the duelers get", the rest of us they don't care much about.

DeletedUser36559

If there was an opt out option, number of duelers will decrease and it would be the final nail in the coffin for duelers. Also the advantage of being Townless would also be removed. If an option was there they should to opted out of Fort battles aswell.

DeletedUser

If there was an opt out option, number of duelers will decrease and it would be the final nail in the coffin for duelers. Also the advantage of being Townless would also be removed. If an option was there they should to opted out of Fort battles aswell.

There is an opt out for everything in the game Mickey:

If you don't want to quest, you don't have to
If you don't want to fort fight, you don't join one
If you don't want to job, don't set work
If you don't want to initiate a duel, don't hit the duel button
If you don't want to be duelled, either go townless or KO yourself on a dueller with 72 hours respite.

You have options and choices to make to opt out of every aspect of the game so I really don't know what your point is.

DeletedUser35120

There is an opt out for everything in the game Mickey:

If you don't want to quest, you don't have to
If you don't want to fort fight, you don't join one
If you don't want to job, don't set work
If you don't want to initiate a duel, don't hit the duel button
If you don't want to be duelled, either go townless or KO yourself on a dueller with 72 hours respite.

You have options and choices to make to opt out of every aspect of the game so I really don't know what your point is.

Apparently, those who don't want to get dueled doesn't wanna lose the town privileges as well. But honestly, that's asking for too much. Just in my opinion though.

DeletedUser36979

Apparently, those who don't want to get dueled doesn't wanna lose the town privileges as well. But honestly, that's asking for too much. Just in my opinion though.

Just be glad for those that only leave town because of these changes, others leave the game instead, permanently decreasing the duelers numbers of targets.

This way to try and "hurt" ZMD's is just ridiculous, those few experience doesn't make much difference.
They should just reset motivation to 100% everyday like it is for jobs, and rework the dueler perk to suit it.
And let the go to 0% motivation like it was, that way the bullies can still keep their ZMD-bully playstyle, they just have to get motivation down from 100% everyday... and the experience duelers would benefit from it as well, since they would have to use a little fewer motivation increase buffs.

DeletedUser35120

I'll agree with you on this. Those that are still ZMD now clearly shows what kind of cowards they are. (I know this might send me a lot of red reps my way.. oh well. I guess). But since the duel level is capped now, there should not be any reason why ZMD's will continue to be ZMDs.

What could be done though to address this problem is:

1) Reset PvP duel motivation overnight.

2) Or, less effective, but still effective in the long-term. Make the cash stolen reward proportionate with the duel motivation.

One might say the dueling skills should be proportionate as well, even I suggested it once. But on a second thought, I guess we can see how it will be a game of having most Christmas crackers and filtered cigarettes. We do not want that.

But then again, like all changes, this will also make some people quit. This time, a few of those ZMD's. But it's something that's needed to be done. No not to make them quit, it's to make them quit being ZMD's and balance the playing field of the game. I guess the exp duelers would love to have a bit more targets too. With this last update with the 3% motivation thing, nothing has changed. It will take years for the exp duelers to have more people in their range.

Also, something which imbalances the dueling game is the skill buying. Nope, Inno will never address this problem, I know it. I mean, you can always limit the amount of skills bought to something like 40 or 50. And the number of AP's to 10. But when someone buys more skills than that, it's out of your abilities to win with your brain skills. Yep, dueling takes a lot of calculation, not just a matter of hitting the button always. But when you have bought an insane amount of skills it doesn't affect who's sitting behind the screen, even someone as dumb as an :donkey: will win in most cases. Yea one bought the skills with real money, he/she deserves to win. But just because that person bought the skills and can afford to spend a whole lot of money in this game, it doesn't mean he/she can ruin other's game. I hope the people who read this gets to understand how awful it is.

Diggo11

I'll agree with you on this. Those that are still ZMD now clearly shows what kind of cowards they are. (I know this might send me a lot of red reps my way.. oh well. I guess). But since the duel level is capped now, there should not be any reason why ZMD's will continue to be ZMDs.
There's still a few but they are far more limited. The primary concern would obviously be the infamous poverty of experience duellers compared to their zero motivation counterparts. If I recall correctly too, duel wins contribute to town points rather than duel experience, another big reason. And before we get to the outright bullying minority, there's also those who have a grudge against a specific player or town and need to keep their motivation down somehow to keep KOing them.

But then again, like all changes, this will also make some people quit. This time, a few of those ZMD's. But it's something that's needed to be done. No not to make them quit, it's to make them quit being ZMD's and balance the playing field of the game. I guess the exp duelers would love to have a bit more targets too. With this last update with the 3% motivation thing, nothing has changed. It will take years for the exp duelers to have more people in their range.
I have no hard figures at the moment, but from the anecdotes I've heard all signs are good. Someone actually tried to report a bug in duel protection to me on the grounds that they went over 24h without being KOed... in the worst case scenario, we all have 72h protection \o/

DeletedUser35120

There's still a few but they are far more limited. The primary concern would obviously be the infamous poverty of experience duellers compared to their zero motivation counterparts. If I recall correctly too, duel wins contribute to town points rather than duel experience, another big reason. And before we get to the outright bullying minority, there's also those who have a grudge against a specific player or town and need to keep their motivation down somehow to keep KOing them.

I have no hard figures at the moment, but from the anecdotes I've heard all signs are good. Someone actually tried to report a bug in duel protection to me on the grounds that they went over 24h without being KOed... in the worst case scenario, we all have 72h protection \o/

You're right there Diggo. But there will be those bully ZMD's forever who will make potential players quit in the level 30-60's range. That's what the problem is, that is where those new people need to learn the gameplay from others and hence need a town to make some friends to get help with advises and stuffs. It's not totally fair to those people who leave their towns to opt out of getting dueled. That's not me speaking for myself personally, (I play in Dakota with my level 150 toon, etc etc, you can see it in the sign, and I never worry about my stats to get Ko'ed on purpose). Just speaking for the community, the people I've been hearing from..

I agree we can't make changes straightaway, the last update was one-step towards making this game better for the long-term, but one needs to complete what was started. We will waiting for the next few steps.

I hope you read the skill buying thing too Diggo, I edited my post a bit late, couldn't double post - you know.

DeletedUser

what has it changed well not high level dueler ko themself to lower there stats to attack lower level non duelers.
non duelers ARE FORCED to duel for ko RUINING there stats for later if they wish to duel
if everyone should be forced to duel then everyone should be forced to do every other aspect of the game also no exceptions and then see who the heck is whining

DeletedUser35120

what has it changed well not high level dueler ko themself to lower there stats to attack lower level non duelers.

To lower the dueling level if it's already very high it will take a lot of time, lot of losses to get back to dueling in lower ranges. And as a matter of fact, specially cause you're talking about stats, these losses on purpose will ruin their stats too.

As for myself personally, I ko myself to stay in peace, specially now - with the event running and I can get more hearts jobbing. Don't wanna keep my toon open to dueling overnight working while I sleep. But while I ko myself on purpose, I don't care about the stats.

non duelers ARE FORCED to duel for ko RUINING there stats for later if they wish to duel

I'll be honest, that's asking for too much. You want your stats in your favor as you work on the field. You won't skill as a dueler, you will enjoy town privileges, and then when you turn a dueler, you'll duel those fellow people who worked with you at the field. Now how is that fair?

if everyone should be forced to duel then everyone should be forced to do every other aspect of the game also no exceptions and then see who the heck is whining

There are a lot of people who dueled their way through and still completed all the quests and special achievements, etc..

DeletedUser36559

No-one is "forced" to duel as you speak, you can sit there and not initiate any duel. No one is forcing you to do anything, if you want 72 hrs peace do a KO otherwise if you feel you are forced to don't do one.

DeletedUser36979

If people wants to be in a town, then they are forced to participate in a duel, either willing or unwilling.
So the only real way to avoid duelling is to be without town.

This could be used to fill adventures as well I think, forcing players in towns to participate, willingly or unwillingly, in the newest part of the game.
Players should also be forced to do quests everyday to keep the priviliges of being in a town, and off course also be forced to take part in fortfighting....

Or is duelling the only part that players in the towns should be forced to take part in? :blink:

See, the logic that duelling is a integral part of the game so everyone should take part, is flawed, since the other parts also are integral parts, but you can avoid those completely, even when being in a town.

This is not about duelling vs. job-ko.... this is about options, or the lack thereof. I think people would like to have an option (besides leaving town) to avoid taking part in a part of the game that they might not want to take part in. Everyone have the options to freely choose if they want to do quests, and which quests they want to do, and if they don't want to do fortfights/adventures, they just don't sign up.

The leave town option to avoid duelling is being used widely on several of the servers where I play, around 30-35% of the top 500 players being townless.... was around 10-15% when the plan for this update was announced... coincidence?