Duelling changes - The West Beta!

• Thread starter DeletedUser8627
  • Start date

DeletedUser36011

telcom, not sure if you understand the idea fully.It's to actually make you low level bullies come to the party and play with people who actually have half an idea. Quit being so negative and at least try to understand what the whole idea is instead of looking at the idea in the mirror.

DeletedUser36559

says the level 189 dueler. :p

3% is small I understand but it's better than 0% and it's a step in the right direction and these low level duelers WILL eventually reach higher levels whether they like it or not.

DeletedUser

3% is small I understand but it's better than 0% and it's a step in the right direction and these low level duelers WILL eventually reach higher levels whether they like it or not.

And then they lose a duel or two against players with high dueling level and will be back at zero dueling xp again.

DeletedUser36559

And then they lose a duel or two against players with high dueling level and will be back at zero dueling xp again.

Well if they want to keep winning and losing they are simply going to mess up their duel win/loss ratios and if that's how they want to play be my guest. At the end of the day if you are in a town you are going to get attacked sometimes or you purposefully attack for 72 hours protection so everyone will get dueled or will duel...

DeletedUser

telcom, not sure if you understand the idea fully.It's to actually make you low level bullies come to the party and play with people who actually have half an idea. Quit being so negative and at least try to understand what the whole idea is instead of looking at the idea in the mirror.

Half an idea? Not worried about that, it is the extra 40 AP and 120 SP, besides the ones bought that are the issue.

DeletedUser36011

Half an idea? Not worried about that, it is the extra 40 AP and 120 SP, besides the ones bought that are the issue.

Those differences arent an issue though when you're beating up on lower leveled players, or those not even skilled for dueling though are they :p

DeletedUser

Those differences arent an issue though when you're beating up on lower leveled players, or those not even skilled for dueling though are they :p

No, not when I am lowering, but yes for the rest of my duels. Until the change comes, then, when I get experience on every duel, I will stick mainly to what you hate. IN one world. I only duel in 1. I have not complained once about my other three toons.

DeletedUser22685

No, not when I am lowering, but yes for the rest of my duels. Until the change comes, then, when I get experience on every duel, I will stick mainly to what you hate. IN one world. I only duel in 1. I have not complained once about my other three toons.

You completely missed his point and simultaneously admitted to what he was accusing you of. He was trying to point out that it's highly hypocritical of you to complain about having to duel opponents that are stronger than you whilst having no qualms about bullying the weak yourself.

Considering that those types of players are the ones who have caused the vast majority of problems that we're being forced to deal with now, I'm sure you'll excuse us for not putting too much stock in your complaints.

DeletedUser

And you missed my point, I dont mind dueling people in my duel range, at my level,including everyone higher than me, which is a disadvantage to me. Pure math says that a rising duel level against 40-50 real levels is a waste of time.

I may not explain well, but you anti duelers don't try to understand either. IMHO.

DeletedUser22685

And you missed my point, I dont mind dueling people in my duel range, at my level,including everyone higher than me, which is a disadvantage to me. Pure math says that a rising duel level against 40-50 real levels is a waste of time.

I may not explain well, but you anti duelers don't try to understand either. IMHO.

Anti-duellers? I've completed over 15k duels, never intentionally KOed myself using a job or otherwise and have been staunchly in favour of the duellers' point of view in many threads in this forum, including this one. There's a difference between being anti-dueller and anti-njub. The fact that you've even made that comment demonstrates that you haven't actually read any of the discussion that took place here.

The idea behind this update is that all duellers will gain exp when they duel. So you're right, you will end up inside the duel ranges of some higher level duellers, but those higher level duellers will also be gaining exp and moving away from your range. Ideally, you'll be moving along at the same speed as other duellers of a similar level to you, which means you should be on a fairly level playing field. Of course, it's not realistic to expect that to happen straight away. There will always be njubs who share your point of view and will continue to keep their motivation low and beat up on non-duelling workers and fort fighters. A byproduct of this is that they can also beat up on low level duellers who are trying to play the game properly.

Regardless, by the time your duel level is high enough to restrict your targets to high-range duellers only, you will have gained enough regular exp to put yourself at a reasonable level to compete with them. Duel exp at a low level has only really been a problem if a player tries to power-level using that method, ie. chewing through motivation buffs and only duelling those who will give them maximum exp. I've done that on one world, and I've duelled regularly from a low level on several others. You don't have to be a 0 mot to avoid running out of viable targets at low levels, the real problem has always been exp duelling at high levels, and that is taken care of by this update.

DeletedUser

fairly level playing field... that is where I disagree. Your other points are fair.
But If my level rises, then I will never be on a level playing field against a higher level player without a high duel level. And we know that is what is going to happen, especially with duel towns. Any town will reskill a FF'er and clobber all duelers 40 levels below them.

That is my concern. Fine, if dueling is supposed to stop being a career, and a hobby, then it works.

And edit to add, I am trying to not be a pecker, just trying to get my point of view, and others across. :)

DeletedUser36011

fairly level playing field... that is where I disagree. Your other points are fair.
But If my level rises, then I will never be on a level playing field against a higher level player without a high duel level. And we know that is what is going to happen, especially with duel towns. Any town will reskill a FF'er and clobber all duelers 40 levels below them.

That is my concern. Fine, if dueling is supposed to stop being a career, and a hobby, then it works.

And edit to add, I am trying to not be a pecker, just trying to get my point of view, and others across. :)

It was fine hitting that said forter over and over though for the easy wins, if they come back and hit you because you have chosen to not worry about your own level how is that an issue not of your own doing.

The simplest fact remains, you are complaining that others are going to be able to duel you that have more skill points than you, but you have been doing the same thing with lower levels and non skilled duelers for ages. You sit there and say you have no qualms about dueling people above your range or in your normal range too but what exactly is stopping the higher levelled person than yourself doing that same thing? I sense quit a bit of whats good for the goose isnt good for the gander here(aka hyposcrisy/double standards).

Just to state it too since I'm supposedly anti dueler, currently I am a dueler(I've also been a jobber, a forter and everything else you can think of). I was ZMD, and racked up almost the same amount of wins as you have as a ZMD on W15 as well. Only reason I went xp dueling is because of this change. You're only seeing it how it affects you, not how it affects everyone else. You're not trying to be a pecker, but you're certainly being an ostrich with your head in the sand.

DeletedUser36559

You can't have it both ways, you can't hit low level players all day and then expect high level duelers to not hit you either...

DeletedUser3543

The dueling option has always been a big part of the game and people who exploited the bug "Job KO" now need to find another solution if they don't want to be dueled.

And I say bug because that is what it has always been. There is no relation between doing a job and a duel. Then there is no logical explanation why a job KO should prevent you from dueling (or getting dueled).

Will sleeping in an hotel be changed to not give protection from duelling?

After all, using your logic then sleeping in the hotel is a bug as there is no relation between sleeping and duelling?

What about living the homeless life, surely that shouldn't offer protection from duelling either - I've never seen a Western movie where the homeless bum was protected from the gunslingers just because he didn't live in a town!

Snr Sarg

After all, using your logic then sleeping in the hotel is a bug as there is no relation between sleeping and duelling?

What about living the homeless life, surely that shouldn't offer protection from duelling either - I've never seen a Western movie where the homeless bum was protected from the gunslingers just because he didn't live in a town!

I quite agree and been saying this for a while. If we're going to apply 'logic' and make everything like 'real life', then the game needs re-writing over from the beginning

DeletedUser33353

I quite agree and been saying this for a while. If we're going to apply 'logic' and make everything like 'real life', then the game needs re-writing over from the beginning

I don't often agree with Snr Sarg, but on this comment.........yep :D

DeletedUser36559

If you can get hit while sleeping what's the point of bounties, might aswell remove the whole bounty system.

DeletedUser1121

Surely you know better then this. I never said this game needed to be completely logical. You just pulled that out of the context.

I merely stated that there should be relation between both subjects in this case. The examples you provided do have those. If i put my character in a hotel, it is there to regenerate energy and HP, exactly the things you can loose while being duelled.

I fail to see what a western movie has to do with my post. You are just pulling up arguments out of your backside to make your point look any better. I did not state that this game represents the real life in any way.

Be my guest and give it a go. The same thing I said to Gadilf goes for you.

DeletedUser34295

I fail to see what a western movie has to do with my post. You are just pulling up arguments out of your backside to make your point look any better. I did not state that this game represents the real life in any way.

You did however say that there was no logical reason as to why job KO would give protection from being duelled or duelling. And well, there are plenty. Have you ever been injured at work? So much to the point you've passed out and been taken to a hospital (or moved back home/to a hotel if that's where you live)? I'd guess no, but I'm almost certain you would agree that after such a happening you're not grabbing your gun and running out to shoot people. Nor would anyone think it's legit to have someone come to you and shoot you whilst you're already down and hurt.

Suffering from a job KO has the same negative effects as being duel KO, you lose money, energy and get moved back to a hotel. This means you should also get the same protection: some time where you can start rebuilding your character and money stash again. It's ridiculous to have job KO make you lose all energy/HP and move you back to hotel, just so that you can be duelled as soon as you get out of bed and it happens again. Being knocked out for whatever reason should offer protection to rebuild what you lost, it's not that odd.