Dueling Skills

DeletedUser14006

Can anyone give me a brief understanding or what skills are relevant for duelling today please.

Q1) Is it all about aim and dodge when choosing ranged or is appearance as important or more so?

Q2) Is melee resistance still a viable build, if so how does reflex/toughness work against shooting/vigor?

Thank you.

DeletedUser15368

The first and most important thing to modern duelling is getting the latest tombola set. Without it, you're probably gonna have a bad time since they are stronger with every iteration.

Aim and dodge are the most important skills for a dodger, however appearance and tactics have fairly recently been buffed - the current formula is closer to the Classic West duelling formula than it is to the old Tombola Simulator formula. So, you do want some charisma skills in my opinion, tactics is especially useful to deny an attacker their aim bonus.

Resistance is very viable, and probably the only way to play if you don't want to get KO'd by someone with a better upgraded tombola set than you every couple of days. It's also decent for fort battles, with the HP from STR. Resistance for the primary skill, Toughness vs Melee or Reflex vs shooter, hasn't been weakened since the good old days i believe, but the bonus you get from the secondary skill, reflex vs melee etc, has been weakened substantially.

DeletedUser14006

the bonus you get from the secondary skill, reflex vs melee etc, has been weakened substantially.

As I remember it, reflex vs vigor and toughness vs shooting was calculated at 1/3 of the value as reflex vs shooting and toughness vs vigor.

Is this still about right or less now?

DeletedUser15368

I thought it was closer to 1/4 now, but i honestly don't know, the actual formula is a secret :D

DeletedUser14006

I don't like secrets and I don't like outdated wiki pages, a product without instructions is as useful as a red light in GTA.

Who do I complain to about this ;)

DeletedUser22685

Bit late to reply here but I do have to disagree with anybody who says tactics are more important than appearance. Even back in the day when duelling was balanced both in terms of the formula and available gear, I never recommended that anybody put SP in tactics. Even when the game was at its most active, the typical dueller would attack at least 10x as often as they'd defend, making those SP they'd placed in tactics a complete waste in like 90% of their total duels.

You were much better off ignoring tactics and focusing your SP entirely in four skills (shooting, aim, dodging and appearance) instead of five. It makes a hell of a lot of difference when attacking, which is most important. It's very easy to avoid being duelled if you're active and alert, and even if you're not actively trying to avoid duels you'll still never be attacked as often as you attack other players. Gear was always more than adequate to provide that decent tactics boost to give you a fighting chance in defence. You'd have a set of attacking gear, and a set of defensive gear that you'd switch to whenever you didn't have duels queued.

I haven't duelled in a long time on real worlds, but I imagine this would apply even more so in today's West, where there are hardly any active players - let alone duellers - left around to harass you. Personally I can count on two hands the amount of times I've been duelled on my two worlds this year, so I can't imagine you'll be attacked very often either. If so I'm sure the ridiculously overpowered clothing available in today's game will provide all the tactics one could possibly need.

DeletedUser15368

Bit late to reply here but I do have to disagree with anybody who says tactics are more important than appearance. Even back in the day when duelling was balanced both in terms of the formula and available gear, I never recommended that anybody put SP in tactics. Even when the game was at its most active, the typical dueller would attack at least 10x as often as they'd defend, making those SP they'd placed in tactics a complete waste in like 90% of their total duels.
You are probably right. My experience, on the one server that I still duel on, is that at level 450, there's somewhere between 10 and 25 players that I can duel at any given time, so I do find myself getting headhunted a lot. So yeah, I would agree with you, depending on the duel level, and the number of targets you have, and number of times you actually get duelled, you can totally ignore tactics.

I haven't duelled in a long time on real worlds, but I imagine this would apply even more so in today's West, where there are hardly any active players - let alone duellers - left around to harass you. Personally I can count on two hands the amount of times I've been duelled on my two worlds this year, so I can't imagine you'll be attacked very often either. If so I'm sure the ridiculously overpowered clothing available in today's game will provide all the tactics one could possibly need.
This is the real issue with duelling, only having a couple of targets in walking distance. I'd fully recommend low motivation duelling, it's not much fun when you're max duel level.