Dueling option

With pretty much everything else in this game being "optional" (Fort fights, Adventures, quests, etc...) can you please make an "opt out" option for dueling, so the leeches have to duel their own kind, and stop trying to ruin the game for those that hate the leeches? Leeches are like the government... they take, take, take, but have no useful value to those of us who actually work in the game for our money and things... and please stop making quests and events that rely on being able to duel (and win) in order to be able to complete and complete... especially on things like the speed server, where there are 3 or 4 that constantly camp the lower level people and duel them to death over and over...

i don't like chars that constantly KO the same ppl, however, there are options to not getting dueled.

also, i find it slightly ironic that you are complaining about <the same char> KOing <the same chars> over and over and over, yet you are in straight shooters in el dorado and it was founded by the type of char you are complaining about!!! that char is the reason i KO myself every 3 days in el dorado.

Last edited:
Roland... as far as ElDorado goes, I don't think there's been anyone in town or alliance chat for at least months... and this is the first i've heard about it... but for instance on the speed server right now, everyone claims to be out for #1 dueler, and i'm getting hit at least daily, or more by the same 3-4 people that are 35-50 levels higher than me.. and especially on speed server, since once you've joined a town, you are stuck, there's no way out for me... and the 72 hour peace period doesn't apply, so i'm KO at least twice daily... I've asked them to please stop, as i'm trying to do quests and jobs (Pure trader setup), but they continue to be A$$es about it... So if they would (and I'm asking again, to PLEASE) implement an opt out feature for those that don't want to duel or be dueled, then the blood-sucking leeches would have to duel their own kind, and everyone else could enjoy their own style of play...

ghafour

Here's a "Bloodsucking leech"'s two cents.
Not my fault you went pure trader, rusty. From what I see above, you seem to be in a dueling place in El Dorado. You are also in the town "Chaos" in Arizona, so it seems rather weird that you are complaining about duels while allying yourself with the very same people. Also, on the speed server, as in any other server, an opt out option existed in the form of KOing yourself every 8 hours (72 hours in normal servers). Seems like a rather neat option, why don't you try using it? You can even go townless (Not possible in speed server, but you didn't exactly need a town there either).
By the way, sending hate mail after receiving a duel just strengthens the resolve of us terrorists, and sending hate mail in speed server where you lose at most 3 minutes of progress if you're online at that time is fairly ridiculous. Man up a bit, and accept the consequences of your actions.

Poker Alice

Dueling is viable part of the game. If the game allows for a new person being labeled as a noob then why not label duelers too. Outlaws some duelers are but I've seen bio's that define a dueling character as a bounty hunter. The sheriff's office allows for reasons to duel when collecting bounties. These are law abiding duelers. Hate mail is crossing the line but putting up a wanted poster up for an enthusiastic killer is not. Any player can be wanted for something but it would be nice to see outlaw duelers who shoot without a wanted poster in hand for no other reason than to steal receive a more severe penalty when a wanted poster in turn goes up for their capture.

Always thought it would be cool to be able to accept or decline a duel as with fighting at the forts but face being labeled a (coward, deserter) but the game is what it is so yes it can be a rough world in the west sometimes just as it can be in the real world.

szycopath

With pretty much everything else in this game being "optional" (Fort fights, Adventures, quests, etc...) can you please make an "opt out" option for dueling, so the leeches have to duel their own kind, and stop trying to ruin the game for those that hate the leeches? Leeches are like the government... they take, take, take, but have no useful value to those of us who actually work in the game for our money and things... and please stop making quests and events that rely on being able to duel (and win) in order to be able to complete and complete... especially on things like the speed server, where there are 3 or 4 that constantly camp the lower level people and duel them to death over and over...

>leeches
The game offers you options to avoid being dueled

If you'd rather just plant stuff and watch them grow, stardew valley is a really great game. You really think a game called The -and I can't stress this enough- WEST is supposed to be duel free?
Just keep your self on ko...

If you'd rather just plant stuff and watch them grow, stardew valley is a really great game. You really think a game called The -and I can't stress this enough- WEST is supposed to be duel free?

Was it the duelers that pioneered the West? Or was it the pioneers and adventurers? Men and women seeking new homes to get away from tyranny and persecution? What percentage of the people that went "West" were Duelers and outlaws, or got into duels? .00001%? Less? The West needed pioneers and builders and farmers... not duelers...

So, again... people should be given a choice... outlaws in the old west had to choose to become outlaws... those who don't like dueling should also be given the choice... Dueling is currently the ONLY aspect of this game where there is no freedom of choice (for the defendant) and whether he wants to participate...

The West is a great game, and I like the other aspects of the game, because i can choose what i want to participate in, and when i want to... Dueling should be the same....

Dueling is currently the ONLY aspect of this game where there is no freedom of choice (for the defendant) and whether he wants to participate...

1. go townless
2. self-ko (72hrs of freedom!)

The options are there, pick one.

Those who didn't stand up in duels were termed cowards and generally had to leave the county/town. Your choice...

Prljavi Hari

Was it the duelers that pioneered the West? Or was it the pioneers and adventurers? Men and women seeking new homes to get away from tyranny and persecution? What percentage of the people that went "West" were Duelers and outlaws, or got into duels? .00001%? Less? The West needed pioneers and builders and farmers... not duelers...

I'm sure a bunch of people would storm the cinemas & theatres to watch John Wayne or Jack Elam live a peaceful life on a farm in the Wild West planting & growing tomatoes instead of shooting up outlaws & sheriffs alike. Hell, maybe we could even remake High Plains Drifter - just show Clint Eastwood helping the townsfolk by painting all those buildings pink, let the bandits join in on the fun after they politely ask Clint for a duel & he refuses. That's it, that's the movie. ;)

Like Roland mentioned, the options do exist - leave a town or go on a healthy regimen of a self-induced KO so you could get 72h of peace & quiet, it's really not that hard.

Going "townless" would eliminate like 1/2 of the content of the game from being available.. There'd be no construction opportunities, about 1/10th of the quests, etc...

If they can't viably make dueling optional, maybe they could make " Sanctuary" Towns, where members cannot duel, or be dueled.. so the aspects of the game they enjoy are still available...

You can call it what you want, but IMO the people instigating the duels are the cowards... case in point: I was dueled this morning by someone 40 levels higher than me (47 dueling levels) while i was in my fishing clothes and he was full set upgraded Vaquero gear... I claim he's the coward, having to duel someone max levels lower in working gear, that's obviously not a dueler...

If duelers want to prove themselves, they should fight other duelers in their skill sets...

If i kick the dog because he's laying on the floor, what does that prove? Other than the fact that I'm 5 feet taller than him and outweigh him by 200 pounds, all it proves is that I'm a bully and a coward, picking on those smaller and weaker than myself... If i give the dog the option of moving out of the way, or being kicked, and the dog moves, does that make the dog a coward?

As i've said before, dueling is only 1 aspect of this game, and INNO should cater to everybody's style of play, and make everything optional, dueling included... Maybe more people would stay, and potentially spend real $$, if their game $$, energy, and time wasn't being constantly taken by cowards...

Prljavi Hari

Well, I've never been particularly fond of dueling people in work gear, but let's put that aside for now - all I (and everyone else) see from your post(s) is ranting & random name calling, which is uncalled for and unbecoming - this is just a game. How about you come up with a solid, well-thought out proposition/plan instead of just whining & insulting players who enjoy a certain aspect of the game?

If they can't viably make dueling optional, maybe they could make " Sanctuary" Towns, where members cannot duel, or be dueled.. so the aspects of the game they enjoy are still available...

How would this be regulated? Who would be able to join these towns? When and how? What would prevent people from dueling other people then just joining these duel-free zones? How would you prevent misuse & loopholes?

If duelers want to prove themselves, they should fight other duelers in their skill sets...

Honestly, I completely agree with this - BUT, you can't really tell people how THEY should play the game, can you? What you can do, is control your own outcome by 1) leaving a town, which you mentioned is not an option due to various game aspects or 2) self-KOing every 72h, which seems like the best option for you. :)

Thanatoss

I proposed a more fair duelling system in the beta forums that would solve some problems

Where duelling levels are based on total duelling skill points but nobody cared.

I'm sure a bunch of people would storm the cinemas & theatres to watch John Wayne or Jack Elam live a peaceful life on a farm in the Wild West planting & growing tomatoes instead of shooting up outlaws & sheriffs alike. Hell, maybe we could even remake High Plains Drifter - just show Clint Eastwood helping the townsfolk by painting all those buildings pink, let the bandits join in on the fun after they politely ask Clint for a duel & he refuses. That's it, that's the movie. ;)

Like Roland mentioned, the options do exist - leave a town or go on a healthy regimen of a self-induced KO so you could get 72h of peace & quiet, it's really not that hard.

Yeah... cause we know how realistic 1950's western movies were....

Prljavi Hari

Yeah... cause we know how realistic 1950's western movies were....

It's a movie - it's not always, or in most cases, supposed to be realistic. Guess you could say the same for a MMORPG. Neither of those two are meant to, should or will always mimic real life.

How about you come up with a solid, well-thought out proposition/plan instead of just whining & insulting players who enjoy a certain aspect of the game?

So I shouldn't be able to enjoy a certain aspect of the game because duelers want to enjoy theirs?

I was being called a whiner, crybaby, and coward before i used those words... All I've heard is negativity from everyone else on this thread, and all because of the 1 aspect of this game that isn't completely voluntary...

And as far as a valid proposition, why wouldn't sanctuary cities work? they could have restrictions on them... like they did on the speed server.. once you join you can't leave, for instance... Then if the duelers wanted to hide in them they'd be scrooged from being able to duel again... or they could put a time restriction... have to stay for at least a month before the "Leave town" button is no longer grayed out... then the people that don't like or want dueling can do their building and questing and tradeskilling without having to worry about dueler types ruining the aspects of the game that they want to enjoy...

How about you come up with a solid, well-thought out proposition/plan instead of just whining & insulting players who enjoy a certain aspect of the game?
I came up with a plan in a world I was a skinny duel char - I stayed in self-KO for over a year so I wouldn't get KOd at a random time and ruin my jobs.
It took 1 energy point and I had 48 hours to choose whenever I self-KO.

Another plan - in a different world, I didn't duel a char for 45 days (I think 45) and dropping out of the duel window, it makes it a little bit more difficult for duellers to find me, unless the char dueling is camping your town. Also, the duel level starts dropping too.

Another plan - skill for resistance dueling. You'll have 8k-ish HP, usually take about 2-3 duels to KO you.

Harriet Oleson

Duels are part of the game, it'd be sad to cut it in half for some players in a side, and others in another. But for me, duels have a lot of problems : they are totally at attacker advantage (they are ambushes, not duels), with often too big gaps in skills to allow any winning chance when attacked or even any chance of revenge by ourselves; the duel level system cause a problem of lack of opponents at some points too, and the ways to protect ourselves 1- participate in this lack of opponents, and 2- are unfair/illogical for the attacked ones (it's illogical to be safer alone in the wild than surrounded by town members for example).
I proposed a more fair duelling system in the beta forums that would solve some problems

Where duelling levels are based on total duelling skill points but nobody cared.
From what I understanf of it, I think that's a pretty good idea : a lot much fairer than right now, without the problem of lack of opponents at high level (when our duel level is too high, we could lower it by wearing a low skills outfit) and with much more possibilities to try to get revenge when we lose (with too big gaps, it's impossible) ... I think if we have more possibilities of revenge, the duel system would be less frustrating even if we lose. Plus, with a much higher number of opponents possible, there should be less harassment on the same players from the people who lacked of opponents ... So once again, less reasons to want to leave our town/put ourselves KO. We'd get from a vicious circle to a virtuous one.
I personally see only good consequences to your idea, I don't understand why nobody answered to this (in the beta forum or here). Even the strategy aspect of the duel system may have more interest with this.