Duel Ranking System

• Thread starter DeletedUser22575
  • Start date

DeletedUser

I got bored to hell with W1... If they remove the level cap get out of bed when I'm near you and I'll end the hate. But after several unsuccessful camping attempts, when you did win, you milked my lvl 99 boredness for a few hours. When I stuck a few more points on shooting you wouldn't get out of bed. Not that you would know I had, since you just slept the whole time.

So you are accusing, me off camping you?

And how am i to suppose to know when you are a round?

DeletedUser16008

lol you were off and running up the lvls table so fast on w10 and 11 when I was there id be surprised if anyone was stupid enough to go near you more than once. Im correct in thinking you were melee on both?

DeletedUser

Of course the chess ranking system works great for chess, but how would it be applied to the football league?
Seriously, this game isn't chess. The current system is fine. So what if the top player gets there by sheer stickability and loses as many they win on the way? Apart from a dozen players who have a grievance who gives a damn?

A duel may be lost because a player had low health, was in the wrong clothes, was not specced for duelling, did not have premium, was attacked when not specced for defending but would have won against the same player if THEY had attacked or just on random luck.
No system can or will account fairly for all those factors, so just enjoy the one we have.

DeletedUser

Of course the chess ranking system works great for chess, but how would it be applied to the football league?

Quote from wikipedia:The Elo rating system is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in two-player games such as chess. It is named after its creator Arpad Elo, a Hungarian-born American physics professor.
The Elo system was invented as an improved chess rating system, but today it is also used in many other games. It is also used as a rating system for multiplayer competition in a number of computer games,[1] and has been adapted to team sports including association football, American college football and basketball, and Major League Baseball.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Seriously, this game isn't chess. The current system is fine. So what if the top player gets there by sheer stickability and loses as many they win on the way? Apart from a dozen players who have a grievance who gives a damn?

Sounds like you don't care about dueling and since you say who gives a damn, why post?

DeletedUser

So you are accusing, me off camping you?

And how am i to suppose to know when you are a round?

What the hell does that have to do with you being constantly in bed everytime I go near your town?

DeletedUser

lol you were off and running up the lvls table so fast on w10 and 11 when I was there id be surprised if anyone was stupid enough to go near you more than once. Im correct in thinking you were melee on both?

I was melee on 10, I was melee on 11 for about a week with Hernando's until the Golden Colt appeared. And I was never levelling like a mad man on either, I just didn't sleep for an eternity like most players and specc'd sensibly. My highest XP rank on 10 was about 35th. But Constructing a Ranch House and dueling the builder in Constaninople because no one else would get out of bed was stupidly boring.

I hit level 99 on W11, 13th on the server, I started two weeks late, had several vacations during the servers life and my skill distribution for most of it was reflex/appearence with all AP's in Dex.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

@Eli:
No system can or will account fairly for all those factors, so just enjoy the one we have.
Tons of games (including flash games) do just that,i would give you links but it's against the forum rules to link foreign games.
+We are enjoying what we have or else we wouldn't be playing TheWest.What people are doing here is trying to find ways to make something good even better.

@Miss Sarajevo: In game sleeping is not an indication of style of play or any other player character,you realize many grown ups play this game right?
(Hint: grown up= usually are busy at real life work and can only play a very small amount of time,therefore must in game sleep like 20 hours a day)
And the second point: it's irrelevant when a dueler starts his career,only the end result matters.Starting dueling at lvl 10 or at 99 has no bearing on who is the best dueler.

@Scalp em:I understand what you are saying and appreciate your points,what me,Miss Sarajevo and others have tried to point out is there is no point in switching to a different system if the new system can just as easily be manipulated.
You cannot play secret chess game that no one knows about in chess tournaments.In the west you can have secret duels,you can duel your couple of buds with pillows all day and rack massive experience and no one will be the wiser..We don't know who you have been dueling and how you got there.

IMO there is no point in putting the effort into a new system unless the points raised are addressed.I think it's also difficult to achieve a true and accurate ranking picture of who the best duelers are for the simple fact that we don't agree of what the word "best" means.

It would be a lot easier if we 1st agreed on what makes a dueler be best then we might be able to find ways to measure that.IE: the horse 1st then the cart! lol

DeletedUser28464

A solution for dueler rank system

Here is a possible rank system, fair and simple :

Players would have a button on their profile where a player would declare himself as wanting to join the dueling rank system.
Only duels fought by these participants would count for rank.

In order to qualify to be a participant, at least half of a players skills should be dueling skills.

The dueling activities of the 10 best ranked duelers should be posted. Beating any of the 10 best duelers would count as 3 wins. If the duel is between 2 duelers in the top 10, it counts only as 1 win.

Only wins count in the ranking system. The best dueler would be the one with the most wins.

If the number one dueler loses 3 times in a row, his total wins fall to zero, he must restart from scratch.

When a player has twice a many losses as wins (minimum 10 losses), he is kicked out of the list for a month and he must restart from scratch. This is to prevent cheaters from having a big impact on the system.

To be in the top 10, you must have at least 60 wins.

Pedro Vasco #11 hall of fame, world 9:mad:

DeletedUser

Pedro i really like some of your ideas but not all :)

1st the button concept: is outstanding,you can still duel anyone and anybody you want but if you want rank and be recognize by your peers as a contender for the best dueler then you must fight "real" fights.
Also good is half your points must be allocated to dueling points in order to register yourself as a contender.

Finally have a record for all to see on the top 10 duelers is great, it lets everyone knows that this is most likely legit, as a bonus it adds value to the game as competitive players might want to watch just for the entertainment of it+ this create a buzz on who beats who IE: "omg did you see the wooping so and so did on so and so?" blah blah blah ect...

These are great ideas imo but you are too harsh on the penalties,i think a combination of what you have suggested +Scalp em ELO like ranking system + a Frequency check (Less points for dueling the same players) would work great.

Finally i would like to add 1 more:to be the best you generally must specialize either as an offensive or as a defensive dueler.This is a problem for the ranking as an offensive dueler must sleep when not active and is therefor not accessible to duel/challenge.It's a problem inherent to the game itself not the players.

DeletedUser

well having read through all posts, i have ascertained myself that a duelling rank should reflect wins and losses.
gaining xp doesnt say anything as per how good you are at a duel, only beating others does.

if you have 300 wins and 800 losses and you are ranked number one dueller!!!!!!!!
THERE IS ONE HUGE PROBLEM WITH THE SYSTEM!!!
ive never seen any ranking anywhere where loosing more than winning gets you first place!
ridiculous.

i reckon the easiest way to set up a proper duelling rank would be like many other rankings:

the old 3 points for a win, 2 points for a draw, 1 point for a loss could be used here:

+1 point for a win
-1 point for a loss

again, as simple as.

I totally agree. It seems stupid that you don't loose points for losing a duel!! Has anyone played the original warhammer on pc? Pretty much the same ranking system (lol i used to be a fiend at automatching) would work here.

You can only duel someone within X dueling points (ranking)

this "ranking" would be based on you lvl + duel points pretty much the same as now.

If you win (and they are a lot higher ranked than you) you get a large gain to your duel ranking and XP, if you loose (and they are wayy below you) you drop a large amount of duel points and no XP and vice versa.

This would still work for 0 mot duelers as the win/loss would only apply to duel ranking not XP.

DeletedUser

Quote from wikipedia:The Elo rating system is a method for calculating the relative skill levels of players in two-player games such as chess..... and has been adapted to team sports including association football, American college football and basketball, and Major League Baseball.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elo_rating_system

Sounds like you don't care about dueling and since you say who gives a damn, why post?
I'll take that as a genuine question and not a snippy aside.
As an example - I genuinely don't care which side of the road cars drive in my country (it happens to be on the left in my case) but if someone wanted to put the case for a switch I would definitely want to see their arguments and would care very much if they didn't hold water. I hope that clarifies.

I have still not seen any good argument as to why any new (arbitrary) ranking system would be objectively better and improve gameplay than the current (arbitrary) one. Until I do I would say just leave it alone.

As for using a rating system for football - to the best of my knowledge it is only used for seeding in international tournaments where many teams will not play each other for years as a poor second best for direct competition, and is not considered a reliable guide to current form.

DeletedUser

hello
i want to say i totaly think the idea of swiching ranks is very bad

this is because lets say i am pure tactics lvl 99 and i haven't even won a duel....then i find the first one who is like 130-140 dueling level i tell my m8s to weak him and i go and pass him out!then i am first forever...

because u can't win somebody that u can't shoot.....especially if tactic is 99*3 296 and if u add soldiers 100% bonus then it goes nearly 600 tacticks which is an unbeatable record

oh and i like exp system as it is

sorry for my bad english

DeletedUser

no need to SCREAM

dude, no need to scream at us.

no change will be made which allows you to be first forever.

you donT fully understand how a high tactics value works.

DeletedUser

was a good discussion, or?

oops, didnT mean to bump an old thread. I had followed this "recently" and found it today when searching for something else.
however, ... IMHO, this discussion should continue until a better ranking system is implemented.

I like the above-mentioned ideas of implenting a ranking system like those already used in sports.

A "relatively" easy change,
would be to add sort buttons to the columns of the current ranking system.

Then, whoever wants to see the most wins could sort on that column.

Losers could sort on the column for losses to see if they have right to whine. Not that they need one.

DeletedUser9470

oops, didnT mean to bump an old thread. I had followed this "recently" and found it today when searching for something else.
however, ... IMHO, this discussion should continue until a better ranking system is implemented.

I like the above-mentioned ideas of implenting a ranking system like those already used in sports.

A "relatively" easy change,
would be to add sort buttons to the columns of the current ranking system.

Then, whoever wants to see the most wins could sort on that column.

Losers could sort on the column for losses to see if they have right to whine. Not that they need one.

i think thats a great idea!
just have rankings for xp AND wins
nice post

DeletedUser16008

what about class wins ie soldier dueler etc ? so we can see whos dueling what ?

Could also have a system where nothing is logged at all as a benefit if you beat someone lower lvl than you.

Take a way dueling lvl completely and just allow a range above and below you can duel say 10 or 15 lvls.

There are so many ways to improve this ranking system im surprised nothing has come up .