Duel Ranking System

• Thread starter DeletedUser22575
  • Start date

DeletedUser

Interesting suggestions Max...
A few suggestions tho:
4) Award points ONLY for dueling equal or higher levels... but not for dueling someone of lower level. Simply put, you're higher level and therefore should be expected to win under normal circumstances so why should you get reward for that? If higher level player got attacked than it might give only a fraction of points that a lower level player would get if he won.

Stupid idea, sorry. It would have a negative impact on the game play of those players that don't sleep forever.

DeletedUser

I've briefly mention this recommendation in my article http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=41134&highlight=scalp

In serious amateur and professional chess, they have a ranking/rating system. Here are the most used systems
USA http://main.uschess.org/component/o...371?op=list&month=1010&f=TopOverall&h=Overall
Britain http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/engtopplayers.php
FIDE (International) http://ratings.fide.com/top.phtml?list=men

However they are so similar it's basically the same. When I first started playing local county league chess, I soon became familiar with the rating system although it's not quiet as good as the ELO system which is named after Professor Elo. For those who are not familiar with this formula I will explain the least complicated one it's very easy to understand. I will talk in this game terms rather than chess.

Calculation of rating

Every duel results in an upgraded performance rating for each player in there profile and updated regularly in the duel rank page.

Win = Opponent's rating + 50
Loss = Opponent's rating - 50

Each players duel points are added to a grand total and divided by the number of duels played giving the average which the programing will update after ever duel.

For example
Player A who is rated 160 beats Player B graded 140.
Player A's performance grade is 140 + 50 = 190
Player B's is 160 - 50 = 110. One player will lose as many points relative to their own grade as the other gains.

There is one proviso in the calculation: ratings more than 40 points different from one's own rating are considered to be exactly 40 points different when calculating performance grades. Had Player B's grade been 100 they would have scored
Player A 120(not140) + 50 = 170
Player B 140(not 160) - 50 = 90.
This prevents players increasing their grade by losing to much higher-graded players. Every win will gain at least +10 points and up to +90 points and every loss will loss at least -10 points and up to -90 points (of course divided by your number of duels after a grand total is calculated).

This is how it works in practice :-
Player A wins against Player B 140 + 50 = 190
Player A wins against Player C 150 + 50 = 200
Player A losses against Player D 150 - 50 = 140
Player A losses against Player E 190 - 50 = 140
Player A wins against Player F 160 + 50 = 210
Player A losses against Player G 130 - 50 = 90
Player A losses against Player G 175 - 50 = 125
Player A wins against Player F 155 + 50 = 215

190 + 200 + 140 + 140 +210 + 90 + 125 + 215 = 1310
1310/8 = 163
Player A has increased his rating from 160 to 163

In chess the weakest adult club players come in at about 40. A three-figure grade is a source of prestige among casual players, while those who seriously study the game may try to break 150. A player graded over 200 is usually well known outside his or her area and might consider aiming for a master title. Grades far in excess of 200 lose their significance as very strong players tend to play mostly in internationally rated tournaments and are rated by FIDE (using the ELO system). In published chess ratings an " * " is added beside the rating to signify less than 30 games have been played, this is needed for accuracy.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because, unlike chess, this game potentially adds dueling strength with each lvl up. I suggest that your character level x4 is added to your Rating.

Example
Player A has a character Lv30 so 120 ranking point are added to his rating.
Player B has a character Lv26 so 104 ranking point are added to his rating. This will also help the figures be more accurate when skill changes makes a player a pure fighter, after 30 duels it will be accurate.

If you cannot gain xp from a duel, when or had you been at 100% motivation, then that duel is not possible, it's easy 90 point higher or lower you can duel.

Duel rank page (all columns should have a click option to list top page in that category)
It should show columns for
1) Name and town
2) Duel rating (with character level duel bonus) = mightiest dueler
3) Duel rating (without character level duel bonus) = best pound for pound dueler
4) Wins/losses
5) Highest single hit damage
6) Highest duel damage
7) Most consecutive wins without taking any damage
8) Duel experience under the current system (because it provides a goal for players to stive for)
9) KO total

The current duel ranking should be totally abolished and replaced for the following reasons :-
1) No one who losses 50% of there duels should be in the top 1000 let alone top page.
2) Many great dueler never get recognition for there duels.
3) The current system makes inexperienced players think the wrong players are the best duelers.
4) Consideration of opponents playing strength has zero to do with the current system.
5) By getting rid of the way duel levels currently increase and replacing it with this system, top page duelers will find it much easier to find targets. Many of you don't know how hard it is for top page duelers and more so if they are also high xp ranked as well. Some days, due to bad luck, it's possible to ride around all day and not get a single duel.

I think this thread should result in a suggestion in Ideas & Brainfarts and everyone who posts here should ask there towns best duelers to vote

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser9470

I've briefly mention this recommendation in my article http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=41134&highlight=scalp

In serious amateur and professional chess, they have a ranking/rating system. Here are the most used systems
USA http://main.uschess.org/component/o...371?op=list&month=1010&f=TopOverall&h=Overall

However they are so similar it's basically the same. When I first started playing local county league chess, I soon became familiar with the rating system although it's not quiet as good as the ELO system which is named after Professor Elo. For those who are not familiar with this formula I will explain the least complicated one it's very easy to understand. I will talk in this game terms rather than chess.

Calculation of rating

Every duel results in an upgraded performance rating for each player in there profile and updated regularly in the duel rank page.

Each players duel points are added to a grand total and divided by the number of duels played giving the average which the programing will update after ever duel.

For example
Player B's is 160 - 50 = 110. One player will lose as many points relative to their own grade as the other gains.

There is one proviso in the calculation: ratings more than 40 points different from one's own rating are considered to be exactly 40 points different when calculating performance grades. Had Player B's grade been 100 they would have scored
This prevents players increasing their grade by losing to much higher-graded players. Every win will gain at least +10 points and up to +90 points and every loss will loss at least -10 points and up to -90 points (of course divided by your number of duels after a grand total is calculated).

1310/8 = 163

In chess the weakest adult club players come in at about 40. A three-figure grade is a source of prestige among casual players, while those who seriously study the game may try to break 150. A player graded over 200 is usually well known outside his or her area and might consider aiming for a master title. Grades far in excess of 200 lose their significance as very strong players tend to play mostly in internationally rated tournaments and are rated by FIDE (using the ELO system). In published chess ratings an " * " is added beside the rating to signify less than 30 games have been played, this is needed for accuracy.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Because, unlike chess, this game potentially adds dueling strength with each lvl up. I suggest that your character level x4 is added to your Rating.

Example
Player B has a character Lv26 so 104 ranking point are added to his rating. This will also help the figures be more accurate when skill changes makes a player a pure fighter, after 30 duels it will be accurate.

If you cannot gain xp from a duel, when or had you been at 100% motivation, then that duel is not possible, it's easy 90 point higher or lower you can duel.

Duel rank page (all columns should have a click option to list top page in that category)
1) Name and town
3) Duel rating (without character level duel bonus) = best pound for pound dueler
4) Wins/losses
6) Highest duel damage
8) Duel experience under the current system (because it provides a goal for players to stive for)

The current duel ranking should be totally abolished and replaced for the following reasons :-
1) No one who losses 50% of there duels should be in the top 1000 let alone top page.
3) The current system makes inexperienced players think the wrong players are the best duelers.
4) Consideration of opponents playing strength has zero to do with the current system.
5) By getting rid of the way duel levels currently increase and replacing it with this system, top page duelers will find it much easier to find targets. Many of you don't know how hard it is for top page duelers and more so if they are also high xp ranked as well. Some days, due to bad luck, it's possible to ride around all day and not get a single duel.

I think this thread should result in a suggestion in Ideas & Brainfarts and everyone who posts here should ask there towns best duelers to vote

man why so complicated?

well having read through all posts, i have ascertained myself that a duelling rank should reflect wins and losses.
gaining xp doesnt say anything as per how good you are at a duel, only beating others does.

if you have 300 wins and 800 losses and you are ranked number one dueller!!!!!!!!
THERE IS ONE HUGE PROBLEM WITH THE SYSTEM!!!
ive never seen any ranking anywhere where loosing more than winning gets you first place!
ridiculous.

i reckon the easiest way to set up a proper duelling rank would be like many other rankings:

the old 3 points for a win, 2 points for a draw, 1 point for a loss could be used here:

+1 point for a win
-1 point for a loss

again, as simple as.

DeletedUser22575

Calculation of rating

For example

1310/8 = 163

Example

1) Name and town
4) Wins/losses
6) Highest duel damage

Could someone translate this to Dueling for Dummies for me. I tried to read it and my eyes crossed.

DeletedUser

man why so complicated?

It isn't complicated at all, you are just ignorant of the facts. If you had played league and county chess for twenty years like me you would totally understand where I am coming from and totally agree with me.

Your half baked idea is totally flawed. You idea does not address 2 - 5

WINNING AGAINST NOOBS means nothing and your ridicules suggestion gives the same points for a win against every opponent. -Neo- please don't ask me again about my post when if your question shows you didn't read it all.

DeletedUser

Could someone translate this to Dueling for Dummies for me. I tried to read it and my eyes crossed.

All you need to know is it's a system that is used all over the world in every country to calculate who is best at chess. It's about a million times smarter than the Inno team of programmers. Basically you can duel anyone 90 point higher or 90 points lower and the rankings will show this

1) Players name and town
2) Duel rating mightiest dueler
3) Duel rating best pound for pound dueler
4) Wins/losses
6) Highest duel damage
8) Duel experience under the current system (because it provides a goal for players to strive for)

(All the info Inno need to do the programming is in my original post)

I hope that answers "Dueling for Dummies" as you call it.

DeletedUser22575

All you need to know is it's a system that is used all over the world in every country to calculate who is best at chess. It's about a million times smarter than the Inno team of programmers. Basically you can duel anyone 90 point higher or 90 points lower and the rankings will show this

1) Players name and town
2) Duel rating mightiest dueler
3) Duel rating best pound for pound dueler
4) Wins/losses
6) Highest duel damage
8) Duel experience under the current system (because it provides a goal for players to strive for)

(All the info Inno need to do the programming is in my original post)

I hope that answers "Dueling for Dummies" as you call it.

Yes it did thank you. And 1-8 looks to be good to me.

DeletedUser16008

Scalp em

Like it a lot and yes there should be the varied click option for all to see, also like to see a KO total there sometime.

Best cohesive and balanced system suggested yet.

Whats the chance of Inno picking up on it ? unfortunately id say not a lot. However it gets my vote, we already have a simple yet ineffective duel ranking system, the last thing we need is another simplified system that is based on points just for a win vs anyone.

Any player will see that the 8 point table is a far better indication of a duelers ability than a simple system current or otherwise.

Gets my vote 100% :up:

DeletedUser

Scalp em

Like it a lot and yes there should be the varied click option for all to see, also like to see a KO total there sometime.

Best cohesive and balanced system suggested yet.

Whats the chance of Inno picking up on it ? unfortunately id say not a lot. However it gets my vote, we already have a simple yet ineffective duel ranking system, the last thing we need is another simplified system that is based on points just for a win vs anyone.

Any player will see that the 8 point table is a far better indication of a duelers ability than a simple system current or otherwise.

Gets my vote 100% :up:
Thanks Vic how refreshing to have a great player post, most good player can't be bother after almost 3 years of being ignored. All the noobs love it here Hmmm, they just want to be like the Mods Hmmm Hmmm??

I totally agree about KO's
I will amend my list above

9) KO total

Fantastic, thanks pal

DeletedUser

I like it ,i have played competitive rated chess games (USCF)and the ranking system is extremely accurate (after the initial 20-30 games or so).
Even though this alternative system could still manipulated in our game it should present a better overall view on the duel ranking.The comparative duel points of attacker versus defender is not enough though because there are many more variables in theWest,the formula should take into consideration:

Clothes: less points if you are attacking a soldiers wearing job/quest clothes for example.

Frequency: less points if you always duel the same players over and over(ie doctoring the duels/pillow fights/mild or hard version of push dueling)

Weapons: Less points earned if the difference in quality of the weapons is too great(less incentive to camp level 57 after getting hernando for example)

Class:Much less earned points if you are attacking workers/adventurers with low dueling ranks.(no reason for someone to be top ranked if all they do is camp workers)

These 4 are the chief characteristics of "fake" best duelers imo.

The server would simply have to track more variables and keep a history of duels as well as assign dueling value to gear .

DeletedUser9470

yo scalp, sorry for being obtus, i just thought your system was a bit complicated in the sense that i was too tired to read it.
it does make sense and for sure would be good to implement.
my experience with running ideas and getting them voted through is that the simpler it is the more likely it will pass.
the main problem you will get is that so many people hate change and hate progress, for various reasons, and thus say no to ideas just because they say no to everything.
you will find people will come up with things that are very selfish and non-constructive just to make point out that they think it will hinder their gaming.
then you get the people lie me who just cant be assed to read and understand the question fully. and then you get the people who just dont understand even though they read the idea and think they do understand.

as for ranking, idont see ay problems with it being on wins and losses.proper duellerswould be in top rankings rather than people who xp duel easy targets.

so i then go back to my previous idea that ranking should be along thelines of, take someone elses rank and everyone beneeth drops a rank.

if you are ranked 10th, and you beat rank 8, then you then become ranked 8th, 8th becomes 9th and 9th becomes 10th that way you are sure that the ranking is true to the duel.

that said i like your ranking system although i find it a bit complicated to work out.

DeletedUser

I like it ,i have played competitive rated chess games (USCF)and the ranking system is extremely accurate (after the initial 20-30 games or so).
Even though this alternative system could still manipulated in our game it should present a better overall view on the duel ranking.The comparative duel points of attacker versus defender is not enough though because there are many more variables in theWest,the formula should take into consideration:

Clothes: less points if you are attacking a soldiers wearing job/quest clothes for example.

Frequency: less points if you always duel the same players over and over(ie doctoring the duels/pillow fights/mild or hard version of push dueling)

Weapons: Less points earned if the difference in quality of the weapons is too great(less incentive to camp level 57 after getting hernando for example)

Class:Much less earned points if you are attacking workers/adventurers with low dueling ranks.(no reason for someone to be top ranked if all they do is camp workers)

These 4 are the chief characteristics of "fake" best duelers imo.

The server would simply have to track more variables and keep a history of duels as well as assign dueling value to gear .

Thanks Saltin it's nice of you to validate the accuracy of the ranking system I am very grateful for that!

Regarding what you wear or weapon you use is of no significance whatsoever. Chess does not provide increased ratings for blind players or for those with a headache or had only 4 hours sleep. The rating system is accurate because it used sufficient number of games with a tried and tested formula which was invented by a professor or mathematics. If duelers wear work clothes and get dueled it will affect their rank as it does now. Serious dueler know when they take risks with work clothes and I say KO them every time otherwise those who don't take that risk are at a huge disadvantage in gaining character levels, which is a fundamental part of a pure duelers success.

As you well know in chess, a ranking provides your average success ratio, not you at your best, for that you enter weekend tournaments and are rewarded with trophies and cash. What you seem to want to do is create a system which evaluates everyone at their best.

This below covers that very adequately in the duel ranking page :-
Duel rating mightiest dueler
Duel rating best pound for pound dueler
Wins/losses
Highest single hit damage
Highest duel damage
Most consecutive wins without taking any damage
Duel experience under the current system
KO total

If you want to create dueling tournaments that's a different subject to this thread. Thanks again for your input :)

DeletedUser

yo scalp, sorry for being obtus, i just thought your system was a bit complicated in the sense that i was too tired to read it.
it does make sense and for sure would be good to implement.
my experience with running ideas and getting them voted through is that the simpler it is the more likely it will pass.
the main problem you will get is that so many people hate change and hate progress, for various reasons, and thus say no to ideas just because they say no to everything.
you will find people will come up with things that are very selfish and non-constructive just to make point out that they think it will hinder their gaming.
then you get the people lie me who just cant be assed to read and understand the question fully. and then you get the people who just dont understand even though they read the idea and think they do understand.

as for ranking, idont see ay problems with it being on wins and losses.proper duellerswould be in top rankings rather than people who xp duel easy targets.

so i then go back to my previous idea that ranking should be along thelines of, take someone elses rank and everyone beneeth drops a rank.

if you are ranked 10th, and you beat rank 8, then you then become ranked 8th, 8th becomes 9th and 9th becomes 10th that way you are sure that the ranking is true to the duel.

that said i like your ranking system although i find it a bit complicated to work out.

All you will see -Neo- is a ranking list like this in the English online grading database just look at the column titled standard. http://grading.bcfservices.org.uk/engtopplayers.php
Btw I once achieved a draw against Luke McShane

DeletedUser

The thing is about the duel ranking system, currently, if several players are involved in a camp fest and they duel each other constantly, they will escalate each others duel level.

May I suggest Russian Bears v Constantinople on W10 as a prime example. The bears had two duelers ranked at the top who were pretty useless, if i was ever able to duel them (Bce something & M**x somtheing, the second got banned). Constantinople had one worth while dueler (phonebook) and one tactics player (kb something russian, worker char) and a bunch of useless duelers, but since those players were dueling each other none stop there was very little opportunity to duel any of them.

Plus they never attacked anyone else. Just camped each other none stop all day. Thier duel rankings went through the roof compared with the rest of the server.

On w11 currently, Dinosix is #1 ranked dueler, but he never gets out of bed. Impossible to duel.

Worse still TheSlowPistol (ranked second) attacks only Melee players (he is high toughness), and uses premium to teleport around the map at Dr Who speeds. If a fellow ranged dueler, and I know this from experience, lurks anywhere near him he doesn't budge an inch, just sleeps constantly. Plus he didn't duel (much, wasn;t on my radar anyway) 'til he was lvl 80 and had a Golden Colt.

The duel ranking system is totally flawed.

Players should gain less XP per duel if they sleep for more than 12 hours a day, at an escalating rate per 12 hours asleep in 24, unless they are involved in a fort battle during that 24 hour period. Players that have purchased skill points through premium, should get less XP per duel, at a escalating skill point purchased.

And don't even get me onto the subject of MashDK the only pure offensive resistance player ever, who decided to join W1 once everyone got bored of dueling and was focussed on Fort Battles.

DeletedUser22575

The thing is about the duel ranking system, currently, if several players are involved in a camp fest and they duel each other constantly, they will escalate each others duel level.

May I suggest Russian Bears v Constantinople on W10 as a prime example. The bears had two duelers ranked at the top who were pretty useless, if i was ever able to duel them (Bce something & M**x somtheing, the second got banned). Constantinople had one worth while dueler (phonebook) and one tactics player (kb something russian, worker char) and a bunch of useless duelers, but since those players were dueling each other none stop there was very little opportunity to duel any of them.

Plus they never attacked anyone else. Just camped each other none stop all day. Thier duel rankings went through the roof compared with the rest of the server.

On w11 currently, Dinosix is #1 ranked dueler, but he never gets out of bed. Impossible to duel.

Worse still TheSlowPistol (ranked second) attacks only Melee players (he is high toughness), and uses premium to teleport around the map at Dr Who speeds. If a fellow ranged dueler, and I know this from experience, lurks anywhere near him he doesn't budge an inch, just sleeps constantly. Plus he didn't duel (much, wasn;t on my radar anyway) 'til he was lvl 80 and had a Golden Colt.

The duel ranking system is totally flawed.

Players should gain less XP per duel if they sleep for more than 12 hours a day, at an escalating rate per 12 hours asleep in 24, unless they are involved in a fort battle during that 24 hour period. Players that have purchased skill points through premium, should get less XP per duel, at a escalating skill point purchased.

And don't even get me onto the subject of MashDK the only pure offensive resistance player ever, who decided to join W1 once everyone got bored of dueling and was focussed on Fort Battles.

I am going to have to disagree on two points here.

Duelers have to sleep 8 hours per day to get 150 ep just like every other class. That would leave 4 hours of sleep without being penalized to heal from dueling.

Depending on your build ( and i often have to sleep at least an hour between duels to regain hp) duelers who were not hiding would end up getting penalized.

Second, it is a little unrealistic to expect a company to sell skill points then expect players to be penalized for using them.

A better option would be for skill points not to be available for purchase,

DeletedUser

Come on, please stop hating me! Why am i´m the only one there´s is a pure A.. H...? If you want a duel, then please write to me???

DeletedUser

OK I can kinda agree on the first point, however, sleeping in a foriegn hotel should have a negative affect on gameplay if not ADV class. I still believe each town should be able to blacklist a certain number of players from their hotel (10ish perhaps). Despite the fact camping active players is now almost impossible, campers still exist.

A better option would be for skill points not to be available for purchase

I totally agree.

What I will never agree to is the fact dueling the same player constantly, should be negative. You need to find a cow and milk that cow for all they are worth, if they are not adaptable (hello shaman reset) they are *ahem* flawed in their game play strategy. It also becomes your responsibility to look after your cows. Mexone, left town the other day on w11 becuase I started after him, becuase he started stealing my milk!

How about deminish soldier bonus by soldiers get half XP from a defensive duel win.

DeletedUser

Come on, please stop hating me! Why am i´m the only one there´s is a pure A.. H...? If you want a duel, then please write to to me???

I got bored to hell with W1... If they remove the level cap get out of bed when I'm near you and I'll end the hate. But after several unsuccessful camping attempts, when you did win, you milked my lvl 99 boredness for a few hours. When I stuck a few more points on shooting you wouldn't get out of bed. Not that you would know I had, since you just slept the whole time.

DeletedUser16008

I dont think a dueling rank system should have anything to do whatsoever with xp. I dont duel for xp anymore due to restricting my options once the duel lvl goes too high. I spent the last 10 lvls to 99 on w9 with all of a 20 or so on the entire world in my range... the most horrible and boring scenario... never again will I subject myself to that while the current system exists and i now stay mid table happy as larry 0 motive or close to it on all my worlds bar a couple..

Meh sleepers are an occupational hazard too especially with a lot of top #15 duelers.. Ive lost count of the days and weeks spent waiting for some to get up, again i dont waste my time with them anymore, let them sleep if they wish. Most of the good active duelers know who are worthy and have a pretty sound knowledge of most quality duelers on respective worlds and those that only hide and yet attain top rank... funny enough I can think of a goodly number that I honestly believe if you removed the duel lvl all together would probably end up being pawned by a good half of the top 100 if not the top 1000...

The new worlds are totally different tho Ive no idea what you do about that maybe as Miss S says a reduced points per duel or something... not that a few arnt excellent duelers anyway without those points I can think of a couple who would be almost as effective without the points but it does scew any kind of table etc.

DeletedUser

Vic..I havent dueled on anything after w10 & w11. I know not who the decent duelers are on w12, Briscoe & Arizona. I'll find out when I'm uber bored.

I tried to be the stand out dueler on 10 & 11, and in a way I was, but you can't be top ranked unless you get dueled and I very rarely got dueled on 10. I never do on w11. I'm not gonna duel on later worlds, til I've completed every quest and hit lvl 90. BRING ON THE 700 XP duels.