Duel not possible

DanteNightroad

I got KOed when dueling and now I want to duel again(8 wins for the quest) but Im getting
"duel not possible for 24 hours" back in the day dueling protection was voluntary, meaning that at any time you could duel in exchange for losing protection.Is it now mandatory or is this a bug?

Pnevma

It used to be mandatory for 48 hours...

Now it's mandatory for 24 hours, and then voluntary for the next 48 hours.

deiben

Or call it a protection from being hassled :)

I thought it to be a good compromise when it was changed.

Recall that we used to be able to self ko on jobs or get ko'ed and have dueler protection and not be able to duel for 48 hours.
That was changed to a sort of compromise: now can't self ko on jobs (well, you can, but not for dueler protection), but if ko'ed in a duel, can go back to dueling quicker, after 24 hours instead of the old 48, but if you want the additional dueler protection, you've now got an additional 48 hours of it.

A good compromise....
You can duel again in 24 hours after your ko if you desire.
That's 1/2 the time it used to be.
And if not, enjoy the additional 48 hours of not being hassled by others.

futurama1001

I got KOed when dueling and now I want to duel again(8 wins for the quest) but Im getting
"duel not possible for 24 hours" back in the day dueling protection was voluntary, meaning that at any time you could duel in exchange for losing protection.Is it now mandatory or is this a bug?
Umm... what are you talking about? Duel protection is far closer to voluntary now than it was "back in the day", since now you have 24 hours of no duelling followed by 48 hours of protection that ends if you initiate a duel. Historically there was a 48 hour period in which you couldn't duel or be duelled and there was nothing you could do about it. It was intended just as much as a punishment to duellers who got themselves KOed as it was a protection from harassment for non-duellers. I don't know where you got this notion that you could at one point simply ignore the protection period if you wanted to keep duelling.

DanteNightroad

well ok if its not a bug, its not a bug.
Umm... what are you talking about? Duel protection is far closer to voluntary now than it was "back in the day", since now you have 24 hours of no duelling followed by 48 hours of protection that ends if you initiate a duel. Historically there was a 48 hour period in which you couldn't duel or be duelled and there was nothing you could do about it. It was intended just as much as a punishment to duellers who got themselves KOed as it was a protection from harassment for non-duellers. I don't know where you got this notion that you could at one point simply ignore the protection period if you wanted to keep duelling.
Maybe I remember it wrong, the way I remember it you could start a duel at any point in exchange for losing protection meaning once koed you could get back into fighting in 5 minutes as long as you did not mind being a target.mandatory protection seems silly, especially now that self inflected job ko protection is gone.

Or call it a protection from being hassled :)
you can't really be hassled into giving up your protection so why make it mandatory?

futurama1001

mandatory protection seems silly, especially now that self inflected job ko protection is gone.
Once again, it was intended just as much as a punishment for duellers who got themselves KOed. People seem to forget that these days after years of that feature being abused massively by non-duellers.

DanteNightroad

Once again, it was intended just as much as a punishment for duellers who got themselves KOed. People seem to forget that these days after years of that feature being abused massively by non-duellers.
yeah but self Koers are not known for their passion for dueling.Self KO was a way to avoid fighting so I don't really see how inability to duel would punish people who don't want to duel in the first place. only time it could serve as a punishment would be on a time sensitive dueling quest and it would not only punish them but also people who are not good at dueling(which would encourage arranged dueling for quests)Its a good thing the devs don't work in the government

Pnevma

Please try to think a little bit, it's not too dificult...

It is still a punishment for professional duelers who fail and ko themselves... And also protection for the professional dueler's targets, since most duelers in TW target FFers and jobbers, but then dueler friends of the targets might go and ko this attacker, which gives 24 hours of peace for the targets...

futurama1001

yeah but self Koers are not known for their passion for dueling.Self KO was a way to avoid fighting so I don't really see how inability to duel would punish people who don't want to duel in the first place. only time it could serve as a punishment would be on a time sensitive dueling quest and it would not only punish them but also people who are not good at dueling(which would encourage arranged dueling for quests)Its a good thing the devs don't work in the government
Like Pnevma said, there are actually some people who choose to duel as their main activity in this game. It's quite easy to see how being unable to initiate duels would be a punishment for those people.