Duel Mot Split...

HelenBack

For those of you who were not aware of the discussion in Beta, here's the link:
http://forum.beta.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=2387

Well, they have gone ahead and split the duel mot... You can no longer duel NPCs to lower your duel mot. You have to go and duel others to lower your duel mot. While some are dueling for XP and this won't make any difference for them...

Those who were keeping their duel mot low to keep their dueling level low... This will affect your main gameplay a lot. If you are trying to keep your dueling level low so you can have more targets available to you... Well, you're going to have to fight to keep it low.

It will mess up my game... To the point where I'm not sure if it's worth playing anymore.

Thoughts? Anyone?

DeletedUser

i will try it out a while before i make up my mind.
but my first tought is to delet the char on the servers i am a 0 mot on.

HelenBack

I can tell you from being in the two Beta servers... It's too much like work for me. I'm here to have fun... I guess that is no longer an option.
:(

DeletedUser

Soldiers win again, with the 40% raise as a dueling toon making it an impossibility to stay low, I might as well quit as well.

DeletedUser35003

and what new player is going to want to be a dueler? they will be on an extremely uneven playing field compared to veterans who have been 0mot for so long

welcome to "the-west" aka "fort fighting game"

p.s. - thanks for the notice

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34781

sad times. if you are a dueler in the pure sense ,dueling each day its not really an issue once moto is lowered its easy stay lowered.. prem duelers will not be so happy with moto rising faster.

the devs really are getting it all wrong with dueling. the west is just a farm-ville type game now. they have completely lost sight of their core game model and target gamers

Deleted User - 1693871

I hate to mention this, but before they introduced the NPC bandits all zero mot duellers had to duel real targets to lower their motivation. Helen, you've been around in this game since that time I think, so this should not be a gamekiller for you.

It makes things tougher for the less skilled zero mots, at least until they learn that they need to ride around finding targets at the very bottom of their duelling ranges before they start their proper duelling each day. Which means more of the weaker, non-duelling builds will be getting beaten up, great way of dealing with that issue.

DeletedUser23437

I hate to mention this, but before they introduced the NPC bandits all zero mot duellers had to duel real targets to lower their motivation. Helen, you've been around in this game since that time I think, so this should not be a gamekiller for you.

It makes things tougher for the less skilled zero mots, at least until they learn that they need to ride around finding targets at the very bottom of their duelling ranges before they start their proper duelling each day. Which means more of the weaker, non-duelling builds will be getting beaten up, great way of dealing with that issue.

the difference FC is that back then we didn't have duel levels to deal with...

DeletedUser

We had duel levels back in the day as you put it, but what we didn't have to do was run all over the map looking for targets! we just turned up at a town. the npc's duelling was a fix to this so o thought but alas it seems it was only a patch that has fallen off with time.
The west as a Duelling game is now done imo, those that will continue to duel will raise their duel level faster but as with time spent on-line for most being varied, i can only see less and less targets be available for duelling over time. RIP The West as i knew it

DeletedUser8627

For those of you who were not aware of the discussion in Beta, here's the link:
http://forum.beta.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=2387

Well, they have gone ahead and split the duel mot... You can no longer duel NPCs to lower your duel mot. You have to go and duel others to lower your duel mot. While some are dueling for XP and this won't make any difference for them...

Those who were keeping their duel mot low to keep their dueling level low... This will affect your main gameplay a lot. If you are trying to keep your dueling level low so you can have more targets available to you... Well, you're going to have to fight to keep it low.

It will mess up my game... To the point where I'm not sure if it's worth playing anymore.

Thoughts? Anyone?

It's certainly not that difficult is it? If there were no 0% duellers in this game, everyone's duel XP will rise together keeping you in range to duel other duellers. Unless you prefer hitting players that prefer not to duel in this game? These are the only targets you would potentially lose.

But it's certainly not much of a change from when there were no NPCs to duel in the game - before this feature was introduced. Once you have 0% mot, I'm sure it wouldn't be too hard to keep it there.

Deleted User - 1693871

the difference FC is that back then we didn't have duel levels to deal with...

Yes we did have duelling levels.

We had duel levels back in the day as you put it, but what we didn't have to do was run all over the map looking for targets! we just turned up at a town. the npc's duelling was a fix to this so o thought but alas it seems it was only a patch that has fallen off with time.

From what I recall, bandits were not introduced as a fix of that sort, but as a new feature. They had the side effect of reducing duelling of actual players, as zero mots just used the bandits to reduce their duel motivation instead. As for just turning up at a town, many players work near their towns. And these days you turn up near a main quest site or a fort battle and duel players there instead of having to run all over to the various towns to challenge them. That gives more targets if anything.

DeletedUser

It's certainly not that difficult is it? If there were no 0% duellers in this game, everyone's duel XP will rise together keeping you in range to duel other duellers.

DaTwista, that would imply that there are many duellers in the game... it is harder than that to find someone with a duel build to hit these days, and they don't carry money!

DeletedUser32844

So if there is no NPC dueling anymore, how does one finish the current quests where you have to duel them?

DeletedUser

From what I recall, bandits were not introduced as a fix of that sort, but as a new feature. They had the side effect of reducing duelling of actual players, as zero mots just used the bandits to reduce their duel motivation instead. As for just turning up at a town, many players work near their towns. And these days you turn up near a main quest site or a fort battle and duel players there instead of having to run all over to the various towns to challenge them. That gives more targets if anything.

sorry but i disagree with that, at forts most if not all are under the protction of the fort "signed in" option as for the quest spots, most are 48hr protected after doing 15 second dagerous jobs when they ran out of energy the day before. so no there's not more targets

DeletedUser

jupp 0 mot ppl will go after the weakest to get mot down for aslitle xp as posibel then go around and play like normal so weak and small ppl (in the eyes of a dueler) will get beaten like never before :(

was these ment to remove 0 mot duelers?
think they just made it worse..

DeletedUser

So if there is no NPC dueling anymore, how does one finish the current quests where you have to duel them?

valid point.. if they gone how we meant to get $$ reqs.

NPC duelling is not removed from the game. It is very much still there. Now the motivation for NPC duelling and Player duelling is separate and duelling a NPC does not effect the player duelling motivation.

To the developers:

Congratulations, you have destroyed your own game.

You started with the most unwieldy dueling set up possible, but we who dueled as a class persevered. You decided that you'd make Fort battles the big thing, and lost 90% of your players, then decided to listen to the whining crybabies who destroyed the rest of the game, to make it ever more difficult for the duelers.

We duelers have persevered, despite the stupidest dueling set up ever seen in any game, so now you have arranged things so duelers can do NOTHING ELSE but duel, because we need to constantly duel to keep our motivation down, instead of doing other things as well, to have a well-rounded game.

If you yahoos had the brains God gave a gopher, all you'd need to do is drop the idiot duel motivation garbage, limit duels to a certain number of levels below the player, and maybe double that number above the player (possibly with a sliding scale as levels get higher) and have, perhaps, an exception for if a low level player hits a higher level player so they can get revenge, if wanted, for, say, a week.

However, as you've set it up, you can either only be a dueler, or everything else.

You can do what you want to. After all, it's your game, and if you don't want people to play it, that's your choice. I'm going to finish this quest, go on vacation for a month, look in and see if you've gotten your heads out of your attitudes, and delete if you haven't.

Sincerely,

Diminished Fifth