Duel Level? Does this break the game?

DeletedUser37698

Good evening,

Ever since I started playing The-West, Ive allways thought the duel level was pretty annoying.
I mean what does it do? It doesnt really help telling us who is the best I mean we allready have a leaderboard and we all no how leaderboards work. :hmf: Its only a matter of time before someone finds an exploit.
Anyhow, What does a duel level do? If you get your duel level too high youll end up being able to duel people above your level. Now is that really fair? Plus with this new update, you can now loose duel level by loosing duels on purpose.
Right now Im level 108 and my duel level is 140, I can get dueled by players at level 130+
Lets not forget sets scale with our level so not only am I 30 ap (atribute points) and 90 sp (skill points) below this person but his version of his clothes makes it basicly imposible for me to win. Let alone if I actually want to KO him.
I ask, why isnt duel level simply erased?

If I was camping somebody 2 or 3 levels below me, it still seems pretty fair to me because he actually has a chance to beat me. He can grind his way a level or 2 and/or with a simple reskill hes good to go. But what if Im 30 levels above him?

DeletedUser

Just 30? On beta I am level 59 with a DL of 103. and Get dueled by guys who are level 130+ :D

DeletedUser

The duel level is a support for the duels. It has there own rules to sparse the ones that get 50% of there experience from duels from the others.
That´s why it´s very easy to find a level 70 with a level 150 on duelling and can be duelled by a level 130... but, that will only happen for the ones that are level 130 on experience but never got a super raise from duels. Grinding experience from duels will get you onto level 80 and can be duelled by level 150 on experience, pretty easy, if you only do duels against higher level opponents.... you will get over 1000 times more experience than any other way (exception to building) but, you can hit a wall if you fight someone that changed it´s attributes and skills to revenge some duel you made on him...

Ps- you probally will get more people duelling you from experience level 60 to 80 than from the ones above you...

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34664

When I duel a lower level player and win I receive maybe 6 experience points to my duel level but when a player 30 levels above me beats me I lose 20 points and cannot improve my level.I think it is unfair in this system and it would be better if you could duel players only 10 levels above or below would make a happier experience.Comments would be appreciated.

DeletedUser38133

I agree with Ross. I was dueled and lost while I slept in RL and when I tried to duel back, could not because he was too high a level for me to duel - that is unfair :( Although I only duel bandits and still trying to figure the whole dueling thing out, I agree, 10 levels up/down seems fair. I'm level 57 with duel level 57, the opponent was level 77 with duel level 79. If he can duel me, I should be allowed to try to duel back! Win or lose, I should have the option, if not, he should not have been allowed to duel me!

DeletedUser22685

I agree with Ross. I was dueled and lost while I slept in RL and when I tried to duel back, could not because he was too high a level for me to duel - that is unfair :( Although I only duel bandits and still trying to figure the whole dueling thing out, I agree, 10 levels up/down seems fair. I'm level 57 with duel level 57, the opponent was level 77 with duel level 79. If he can duel me, I should be allowed to try to duel back! Win or lose, I should have the option, if not, he should not have been allowed to duel me!

It's impossible to duel anybody who can't duel you back. The player in question must have levelled up since he duelled you. If you want to be sure, check his duel level now compared to in the report.

DeletedUser36979

It's impossible to duel anybody who can't duel you back. The player in question must have levelled up since he duelled you. If you want to be sure, check his duel level now compared to in the report.

Actually it is not, since you lose experice if you lose, and that can downgrade your duelinglevel, which could make it impossible to retaliate... another "great" thing with this new duel to lose aspect. Nice to see people with 5k+ wins with a duelinglevel equal to their base level :blink:

DeletedUser22685

Actually it is not, since you lose experice if you lose, and that can downgrade your duelinglevel, which could make it impossible to retaliate... another "great" thing with this new duel to lose aspect. Nice to see people with 5k+ wins with a duelinglevel equal to their base level :blink:

I failed to mention that since it's not something I immediately think of, having not duelled actively since those changes were implemented. But it's irrelevant, because what I said was that it's impossible to duel someone who can't duel you back, which is still true. Whether it's because you lost exp or the opponent gained exp, you're still moving out of range of one another after the completion of the duel. At the time the duel was initiated, either player could have attacked the other.

It's a technicality anyway, but my point was that it was always possible to move out of the opponent's range after beating them in a duel and it can't be blamed on the ability to lose exp.

DeletedUser38133

Something is terribly wrong with the dueling system - I get what everyone is saying, but how is it fair that someone with dueling level 80 can duel someone 21 levels below them (during the duel). Guess that's why they made bounties LOL

DeletedUser23695

I have a problem with the dueling level and the honorable/dishonorable tag that labels each duel. I have been trying to figure out what the threshold is for labeling a duel dishonorable. I thought it had to do with dueling level so I only dueled players that had an equal dueling level. Example I'm a level 40 with a 52 dueling level. Any player with a level of 52 should be OK to duel. Not so. I fine that I am having to duel players 20 levels higher than I am for it to be considered honorable. These players have much better clothing and weapons not to mention 20 attribute and 60 skill points advantage. The current system needs an overhaul badly. Something simple that keeps high level players from dueling down too far would make all the difference. Everything else that has been done will make for true outlaws/Bullies in the game. Or we can just drop the honorable/dishonorable idea all together.

Pankreas PorFavor

Release notes, v2.28:
Morticians will show an 'honor value' reflecting the skill of opponents you challenge.
When a town member completes a duel against another player, the stats of both players are compared. If the challenger has significantly stronger skills than the defender, their town loses an honor point, otherwise one is gained.

In other words - dueling level has nothing to do with honor, it's about your build. If you are skilled as a dueler, and your opponent is not - it's a dishonorable duel. It does not matter if you have the same DL, or if their DL is 30 below or above yours.

DeletedUser23737

Duel level is one of the silliest parts of this game. It only hinders the enjoyment.

Inno has a very set and unrealistic view of dueling imo. Why? Inno believes that every dueler duels the same number each day, will all rise up to a high level and then will have dueller nirvana, where they get to duel great duellers all day long.

Reality: I had 3-6 targets in the entire world of Dakota. Where was the fun of hitting the same same every day? Answer: no enjoyment.

Inno doesn't take into account that each individual 'dueller' duels a different amount of duels in a day. I tend to be a prolific dueller, hence my duel level can rise quickly. To bring it down, I have found that resistance is the best build (and so have many other prolific duellers). I lose thousands of duels on Dakota, and now I am the giant pain that the lower level/high duel level players complain about.

So, why do I duel? For honour? Respect of my peers? Hard to do with skill buying.

Skill buying would be better served if it was changed to a player being able to buy a player 'level'. (E.g.: A lev 138 player could pay the 600 nuggets, and now they are a level 139 player.)

Why allow players to 'hide' their true level and ability through skill buying??? This makes 'honourable' dueling impossible. How can you win a duel these days without being accused of buying skills and having an unfair advantage? Answer: You can't.

Once (before skill buying) when you bet a higher level player, you received telegrams congratulating you on a nice win. No longer. Everyone is a skill buyer it seems.

Even I have met many players who I can't match in skill/attribute numbers (when wearing the same gear) yet I am close to or even bigger than they are. Is nuts.

So, why do I write here? Answer: Because I really enjoy many aspects of this game, and I have some sugar coated notion that one day, someone might just listen and make some changes to improve the duel aspect in the right direction.

DeletedUser37698

So basicly with the new update on be able to loose duel exp by loosing duels, this game pushes you to loose on purpose and still has the guts to have a "honor system"? Thats hipocrisy
What kind of pvp game gives you benefits twards loosing?

DeletedUser16628

Dueling level or no duel level something stinks in the west when people are losing on purpose to lower their level AKA pushing. To be honest, it's freaking stupid, it's Over many years now we have all tried to think of a way to make this work, well losing 3k duels to lower my level is stupid. Besides, I barely have time to duel let alone all the extra time to lose on purpose AKA pushing. I thought pushing was illegal in the West, but it's legal in this instance.