Feedback Duel Event

delldell56

Well,
This thread is a good summary of TW in my opinion and includes both fun and sadness :-D
Cringe too of course, at times.
Now that you mention it...Cringe, the first player to have reached Level 99 on .net, has been happily (or maybe sadly) picking berries on Arizona for years and completely out of sight in the ranking. The very second player, The Iceman (who has been playing The West since day 1 on Beta), has been selling his inventory there for a while too, townless and rather inactive. They are remembered for their joyful, savage dueling feats. I believe both and Kidd Kalypso, once very happy, frisky & feared duelers, all skipped the duel event. I would call that a summary of the current TW.

Goober Pyle

The West Team
Fort Balancing Strategist
If Inno charged a fee per month to play V1.0 I'd say "Here take my money" without a second thought.
Serious question:
Say we were able to take over the global event server for a year, and people could join any time, but on the first tuesday each month we would deduct 100 nuggets from your event server account (separate from your en account). If you didn't have enough nuggets your toon would be deleted (no second chances; if you want to come back you start over from scratch), would you be interested?

daily logins would cover ~10 months worth, but you would have to make a purchase in the first month to get going.

All the other details can be worked out (like what people start with, how long it runs, are there periodic restarts; we'd try to find a popular set of choices) but fundamentally it would be a "classic" (pre leveled-gear) event

I'll agree with Kalypso's post - if it was ver1.x pre-tombola and Inno could send a marketing email saying "we're back" to all current and former players, I'd be in. The tombola version is no challenge at all, just a challenge of how much money players do/don't want to spend.

The ver1x players complain about the tombolas
The ver2x players complain that the 2022 tombolas aren't better than the 2019 tombolas

Inflation hit Inno :D

delldell56

The ver1x players complain about the tombolas
The ver2x players complain that the 2022 tombolas aren't better than the 2019 tombolas

Inflation hit Inno :D
The 1.0 actually enjoyed the tombolas. They complained about the excessive use of tombolas. That's the reason for massive exodus on 2013, 2014, 2015, 2018 and I've seen plenty of old friends quitting this 2022 again.

Joe Kidd

Serious question:
Say we were able to take over the global event server for a year, and people could join any time, but on the first tuesday each month we would deduct 100 nuggets from your event server account (separate from your en account). If you didn't have enough nuggets your toon would be deleted (no second chances; if you want to come back you start over from scratch), would you be interested?
@Goober Pyle this sounds great. I'd be interested. Truly though a similar set up with v1.0 would be ideal. I realize that Inno refuses to consider v1.0 as being solvent. I personally disagree based on the numbers from the last temporary v1.0 server event. I think a lot of new players that never tried v1.0 would love to see it just to get context for the current game. If there is any way you could convince the upper-ups to allow a pay-to-play v1.0 server, that would be incredible.

Goober Pyle

The West Team
I would go with that, but only a year? Would hate to invest the time to have it wiped, but that seems better than the current silliness in all the world's are seemingly experiencing. I am with Joe on this..... *Take my money*. We have only been asking for this for oh......since v.2.0 was released.
What I was envisioning is 3 month reset cycles. the payoff being you get to pick 10 items in your inventory to start the next round with and everyon gets wisom potions enough to bring them to the average level people were at in the previous round. then at some point at least 1 year out, possibly more depending on how popular it is, whether it is covering its costs, and if/when the server is needed for the next IFBC or whathaveyou, "last call" will go out and the next round will be for all the marbles -- winners get valuable prices to take to their home worlds.

Goober Pyle

The West Team
What I was envisioning is 3 month reset cycles. the payoff being you get to pick 10 items in your inventory to start the next round with and everyon gets wisom potions enough to bring them to the average level people were at in the previous round. then at some point at least 1 year out, possibly more depending on how popular it is, whether it is covering its costs, and if/when the server is needed for the next IFBC or whathaveyou, "last call" will go out and the next round will be for all the marbles -- winners get valuable prices to take to their home worlds.
Now, if instead of being an event this is more of a respin, then the pitch to inno HQ would be a much harder sell.
A more reliable monetization plan would be needed; e.g. the monthly nugget cost would need to keep going up, and a "restore for nuggets" option would need to be offered.
But, if it works profitably as an event, perhaps that could justify it...

Goober Pyle

The West Team
That's excatly what kills the idea.

The intention was "let's have a V1.0 world again", and yes, we might pay for it.
Just for the record: literal "1.0" had fundamental elements in Flash so would not be possible, "but fundamentally it would be a 'classic' (pre leveled-gear) event" (i.e. ~"2.0.0" -- while that had fort fights in flash, that change can be worked in)

As usual, I'm seeking what is possible for The West International Team to implement with little or no need for dev resources (which are unlikely to be made available) and is within the realm of what inno might agree to allow if its not a decision within the powers of the CM.

If what ends up being offered as an event provides evidence of being a sustainable long-term server then we may be able to keep it open indefinitely.

Joe Kidd

Just for the record: literal "1.0" had fundamental elements in Flash so would not be possible, "but fundamentally it would be a 'classic' (pre leveled-gear) event" (i.e. ~"2.0.0" -- while that had fort fights in flash, that change can be worked in)

I did not know that. Is it the duel mechanic? I can't think of what else required Flash. I assume a HTML5 port would require dev supprt that's just not available. Has Inno ever considered selling the v1.0 code? I guess there's probably too many proprietary technologies that could be tied to v2.0 and other Inno games to make that not possible.

Goober Pyle

The West Team
I did not know that. Is it the duel mechanic? I can't think of what else required Flash. I assume a HTML5 port would require dev supprt that's just not available. Has Inno ever considered selling the v1.0 code? I guess there's probably too many proprietary technologies that could be tied to v2.0 and other Inno games to make that not possible.
I don't know what pieces; it could be as simple as the little hammering toon element... I remember playing c.2010 from a blackberry without flash and it definitely had some things that didn't quite work (it was still _mostly_ playable but was "obviously broken" in ways inno would likely never agree to put back into the wild). More to the point though, the simple fact that at some point you would get a ~"flash not found" error is a show-stopper and however simple porting/modding it to eliminate that error might be, committing dev resources to that is ... highly unlikely

L00nat33k

I don't know what pieces; it could be as simple as the little hammering toon element... I remember playing c.2010 from a blackberry without flash and it definitely had some things that didn't quite work (it was still _mostly_ playable but was "obviously broken" in ways inno would likely never agree to put back into the wild).
Well i'm almost sure there was v1 event when flash was dead already ... so i'm not sure if your info is correct.

Goober Pyle

The West Team
Well i'm almost sure there was v1 event when flash was dead already ... so i'm not sure if your info is correct.
yes, events, especially short speed events, have a lot of flexibility, but we are talking about something we'd hope to be able to tie up the event server for many many months, and hopefully maintain on an ongoing basis as a full-service off-shoot, which would require HQ approval, so we need to avoid things that are a complete non-starter for that.

My preliminary research suggests v2.104 is the best candidate for something that mostly meets the spirit of the "classic" game while being modern enough to get approval and not need any dev support to be able to run as a standalone long-term server.

Goober Pyle

The West Team
yes, events, especially short speed events, have a lot of flexibility, but we are talking about something we'd hope to be able to tie up the event server for many many months, and hopefully maintain on an ongoing basis as a full-service off-shoot, which would require HQ approval, so we need to avoid things that are a complete non-starter for that.

My preliminary research suggests v2.104 is the best candidate for something that mostly meets the spirit of the "classic" game while being modern enough to get approval and not need any dev support to be able to run as a standalone long-term server.
specifically, If I understand correctly, that has the full html5 overhaul but predates the leveled shop gear. Run that on a subscription basis and disable all tombola events (and disallow speed event winner gear there) and you have a world where P2W is limited to buying APs/SPs and other buffs that don't really differentiate you from a committed (mostly*) free to play player, they just let you get to the top level faster and stay a bit ahead of getting the best gear as a result.
* I think to be sustainable the monthly nugget cost would need to be something that requires roughly annual US$5-10 purchases or at least a one-time purchase enough for a full-price nugget bag

Goober Pyle

The West Team
specifically, If I understand correctly, that has the full html5 overhaul but predates the leveled shop gear. Run that on a subscription basis and disable all tombola events (and disallow speed event winner gear there) and you have a world where P2W is limited to buying APs/SPs and other buffs that don't really differentiate you from a committed (mostly*) free to play player, they just let you get to the top level faster and stay a bit ahead of getting the best gear as a result.
* I think to be sustainable the monthly nugget cost would need to be something that requires roughly annual US$5-10 purchases or at least a one-time purchase enough for a full-price nugget bag
best guess:
250 nuggets/mo., with maybe a lower price of 100/mo the first 3 months, would fit that target

Joe Kidd

best guess:
250 nuggets/mo., with maybe a lower price of 100/mo the first 3 months, would fit that target

Honestly, that's not at all unreasonable and if that's what it takes to reinstitute a version of the game that is essentially "whale-proof" I'd invest in it. Edit: Let me rephrase - I'd rather spend nuggets to be part of a world like this one you're proposing versus spending nuggets to catch up to whales.