Drowning Sorrow

DeletedUser

CLASSIFIED
[BEGIN TRANSMISSION]

May 15th, 2012- Without warning or explanation, outside contact with the islands of Malta has gone silent. There has been no word from the small country's inhabitants. Ships and planes traveling to the islands have not returned. Satellite scans of the islands show no signs of human activity. After repeated attempts at investigating have only resulted in more disappearences, NATO officials have concocted a plan to send in a team of the free world's best special forces operatives to investigate.

The Plan- At 0600 hours on May 18th, 2012, a small team of crack commandos armed with the latest weapons and technology will be inserted by air about 5 kilometers from the capital city of Valletta. Their objective will be to determine and if possible resolve the cause of the blackout.

The Squad- The team will consist of several player-controlled characters, as well as one or more non-PCs if necessary. Each will be equipped with a hazmat suit and body armor, as well as various gadgets such as devices for testing the air, water and soil. The presence of generic items such at rations and combat knives will be implied. Each will have its own class of specilization. We don't necessarily need all of them, but to keep things interesting, we'll keep it to one player per class. The classes and their respective equipment are as follows:
EDIT: Each class is now occupied. For anyone who wants to join late, feel free to double up, or PM me and I'll create a new class for you.

Leader- assault rifle*, pistol*, bayonet, frag and/or flashbang grenades
Engineer- assault rifle*, pistol*, bayonet, toolbox
Medic- SMG*, pistol*, field medicine kit
Demolitions- rifle grenade or rocket launcher*, pistol*, plastic explosives, timed charges, incendiary grenades
Heavy- machine gun*, pistol*, frag and/or flashbang grenades
Scout- SMG*, pistol*, flashbang and/or smoke grenades
Sniper- sniper rifle*, SMG*, flashbang and/or smoke grenades

*of choice

The character template is like so:
Name:
Country: Must be a NATO-aligned country. Nations that are not members but are likely to be willing to contribute, such as Australia, Israel and South Korea, are also acceptable.
Class:
Chosen equipment:
Bio:

All the usual rules apply. Feel free to respond with any questions or suggestions. Now good luck, soldier. The fate of humanity may rest on your shoulders.

[END TRANSMISSION]

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser31931

Name: Ben Andrews
Race: British
Class: Heavy
Chosen equipment: HK121, Desert Eagle, frag and flashbang grenades
Bio: Raised as an Orphan with little education Ben grew physically and became extremely fit and strong. Often bunking school he failed his GCSE's and left college without a degree to his name. He joined the army and re-did school to get the necessary qualifications to join the military. He joined the SAS after a tough five years in 2 Para. Having done 5 tours of Afghanistan, Ben loves the opportunity to go "Weapons free" he signed up to this mission as he said that they would need a man who could take down a tank single handedly with only a knife (This was no boast he had done it once when hunting down a Drugs Baron). Ben hopes to retire after this mission with a wealthy pension.

DeletedUser24989

Name: Mohamed Ali

Race: middle eastern.

Class: Demolition.

Chosen equipment:
1- Law 66
2- C4
3- .45 cal
4- TMC flash bangs

Bio: Mohamed was born In Iraq Baghdad and his job was an electrician, but then changed into a soldier. He grew up in and with the Iraq vs Iran war, Iraq vs Kuwait war, and the unending Iraq war. . He then moved to the U.S for safety. His favorite quotes are:
" yo mama!" and "you can insult me but can't hurt me"

DeletedUser26409

(Why create a new special forces guy when you already have one?)

Name: Joseph Philippe 'Jo-Jo' Duval
Race: Caucasian
Class: Sniper
Chosen equipment: FR F2, H&K UMP45, smoke grenades
Bio: Jo-Jo was born and raised in Paris. Since age twelve he caused nothing but trouble to others and his family. As soon as he turned eighteen he ran away from home joined the Foreign Legion where he attained the rank of Caporal Chef. He was found to be a talented sniper and at one point he was even a member of Groupement des Commandos Parachutistes. He has also been captured by enemies. He survived thanks to the timely intervention of his brothers-in-arms but his left eye was almost cut out (and was permanently ruined).
(A description is not required but I shall add one nonetheless)
Description: 6'3, 170 lbs. Jo-Jo is bald and has no facial hair. His eyes are of a cold light blue colour (the eyes of a sniper). He has a tatto depicting a skull with a green beret and several lines under it (Legio Patria Nostria; Pericula Ludus; More Majorum) on his left biceps. There's an ugly scar going from his forehead over the left eyebrow, left eye and ending on his left cheek. There are several others on his body. He's blind from his left eye (which is obvious if someone looks upon him). Also most of the pinky of his left hand is missing. He has a rather skinny build. Smokes.

DeletedUser

Name: Andrzej Wysocki (pronounced AWN-jay vy-SO-tskee for anyone who's wondering)
Class: Leader
Chosen equipment: Kbs. wz. 2004, WIST-94L, frag and flashbang grenades
Bio: Andrzej is a Górale (think Polish redneck) born and raised in the Tatra mountains of southern Poland. His childhood had two facets; his education in the city and his upbringing in the mountains. At the age of 18 he enlisted in the army, and in 1990 became one of the first members of GROM. He went on to serve in Kosovo, Afghanistan and Iraq. With his experience and tenacious spirit, he was chosen as the perfect candidate to lead this mission.

DeletedUser25825

Name: Hillel Blomstein

Class: Scout

Chosen equipment: MTAR-21 w/Suppressor, PSS Silent Pistol, Combat Knife, Flashbangs, and Smoke Grenades of Variant Colors.

Description: 5'4, 135 Lbs., olive toned complexion, mid-length black hair, brown eyes, and a toned wiry build.

Bio: Hillel was born in Tel Aviv to a wealthy family. She joined the Israel Defense Forces, as part of the T'zanhanim (paratrooper infantry) when she became 18 to fulfill her mandatory military service requirements. Like many other Jewish women serving, she worked much harder to prove her "worth" amongst her male counterparts, and impressed her superiors with her tenacity and physical prowess to the degree that she was recruited into the IDF Special Forces Sayeret Maglan Unit as her regular service was ending. She completed her two years of training for her duties, and was tapped to be part of the Long Range Reconnaissance Patrol of the unit. Hillel took part in several successful missions during the Second Lebanon War, striking advanced targets deep within enemy territory. Like the other members of her unit, she specializes in airborne infiltration, stealth, small arms, small unit tactics, and advanced weapon system platforms.

DeletedUser

Name: Alan Parker
Class: Medic
Chosen equipment: Steyr AUG, .44 Magnum & field medicine kit
Bio: Alan joined the Cadets at the age of 17 and went to University for Medicine and got a Honor Degrees in Medicine when he finished education at the age of 24, and joined the army as a medic and rose to the rank of Corporal and was selected for his position because of his experience in the field.

DeletedUser22493

Name: Andrê Hammerson
Class: Engineer
Chosen equipment:
Assault Rifle:
HK146 D14.5RS
w\scope
Pistol: Beretta 92FS TYPE M9A1 9mm
w\laser sight
Other: Bayonet, Toolbox

Bio:

Born in Norway in 1980 and is half American on his fathers side and half Norwegian on his mothers side.
At the age of 21, he moved to USA to study at Massachusetts Institute of Technology, specializing in weapon technology.
At the age of 28, he served in Iraq with the US special forces. Objective and mission is classified.
Was recommended for the team for unknown reasons.

Andrê is described by friends as dedicated, clam, controlled and serious, but still friendly, funloving and social.

DeletedUser

Alright, we have all the players we need. Just a few things to be cleared up before we start:

momo^4: We discussed how you can improve your character, but it's acceptable the way it is.

Alawa: I like your character, but I don't think Russia would be so eager to help a NATO mission. Well, this is fiction anyway, so if you don't want to change it, don't. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but "Жопек (zhopyek)" means "little [expletive]" in Russian. "Жорек (zhoryek)", however, doesn't, so if that's what you're saying, then it's my fault for having my mind in the gutter :blink:.

MoW: Again, great character, but we already have a sniper. I won't force you to change anything, but if you or yuggernaut wouldn't mind being medic, that would be great.

In general, everything's looking awesome. This is turning out better than I expected :cool:.

DeletedUser31931

When will we actually start and were will we meet before setting off for the mission?

DeletedUser25825

Alawa: I like your character, but I don't think Russia would be so eager to help a NATO mission. Well, this is fiction anyway, so if you don't want to change it, don't. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but "Жопек (zhopyek)" means "little [expletive]" in Russian. "Жорек (zhoryek)", however, doesn't, so if that's what you're saying, then it's my fault for having my mind in the gutter :blink:.

My thoughts on this were: Russia is a member of NATO. While there are definite tensions between it and other countries, Malta has been too often a strategic staging point in times of conflict due to its location. To not partake in this mission, and ensure Russia's interests are thereby reflected in whatever may be discovered, would be folly on Russia's part.

The name is, and always was Жорек... however to avoid confusion I have changed it to the pronunciation rather than the spelling. It's my understanding it means polecat.

DeletedUser

My thoughts on this were: Russia is a member of NATO. While there are definite tensions between it and other countries, Malta has been too often a strategic staging point in times of conflict due to its location. To not partake in this mission, and ensure Russia's interests are thereby reflected in whatever may be discovered, would be folly on Russia's part.
True, but there's one fatal flaw in your thesis: Russia is not and never was a NATO member. In fact, they've been trying to block countries like Georgia and Ukraine from joining NATO, since they believe the alliance is trying to surround them.

In other news, it's come to my attention that we're all eager to start, so I'll not waste any more time.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Andrzej looked across the interior of the UH-1N Huey that housed his six comrades as well as himself. A short time ago, they had departed from an airbase in Sicily. Each of them was covered head to toe in a hazmat suit, with large backpacks strapped on their backs. Andrzej arose and produced a map of Malta. "Ladies, gentlemen and everything in between", he began, "I know we've been over this a thousand times, but let's cover the the plan again so it's fresh in our minds when we land." He pointed to a dot drawn on the map and continued, "we will disembark at 0600 hours at this point. The itinerary is that we will continue on foot to Valletta and see if there's anyone still alive. After that, we will develop a plan based on our discoveries and the tactical scenario. In other words, we're winging it." He looked up at his squad. "Any questions?"

DeletedUser

(OOC: I changed to Medic, because I don't really mind)

"Yes sir" said Alan with the hazmat suit muffling his voice slightly. "I wish to know why we're wearing these suits? Do we even have confirmation on poisonous substances within the area?".
Alan waited for a reply while his mind turned over and over on poisons that could cover such a large area, and if it was a disease, what disease? This confused him and nearly made him afraid to enter the deserted area.

DeletedUser24989

" booo yahh!" Mohamed yelled. " ohhh! I hope there are enemies out there! I can't go to a mission without letting my rockets fly around!" Mohamed yelled again in enjoyment." But why are going to continue walking to Valletta?!?!?! Let's just use a nice vehicle and go there" Then he went to get a cup of coffee.

DeletedUser

Andrzej turned to Alan and responded, "the reason is quite simple. We have absolutely no idea what's causing the blackout, and there's a fairly high chance that it's a chemical or biological threat. We won't be much help in solving anything if we just drop dead as soon as we land." In response to Mohamed, he stated, "that's a good idea, but like I said, we have no idea what's going on. We can't make any guarantees about anything." With that, he turned to the squad again. "Anything else?"

DeletedUser25825

Hillel lifted her eyes to peer at the other assembled soldiers, which were sat around her. The priority of this mission left very little time to actually have been truly briefed on what was available skill set wise, or even countries represented. They were all in the same, non-descript suits, staring through face plates that were just as likely to fog up as not. She awkwardly rested back against the fuselage, and waited.

She listened to the commander tell them all the same thing she'd been told when receiving her orders. Unknown crisis in Malta, landing zones, timing, and objectives. It didn't really provide much to work with, which might be why she was tapped for the mission. She specialized in quick assembly, and debarkation to unknown destinations for some obscure mission objective that might be explained on the way.

She looked toward Alan as he asked about environmental hazards, noting the Irish lilt in his speech. She then looked toward Mohamed as he hooted and hollered about killing and mayhem. She sighed, and idly wondered why there always seemed to be at least one cowboy in the group. She had nothing to really add to the conversation, so she continued to sit quietly with her own thoughts.

DeletedUser26409

Jo-Jo listened to the briefing. There was nothing new. He had heard all of this from his superiors. Once the others started talking he examined them in order to find out more abut them. He instantly liked their commander because of his no-nonsense manner. The medic and the scout also seemed businesslike, but he didn't really like the demo guy. He had always thought that soldiers had to be professional, they had to fight without passion or hate as the code of the Legion said. But he reckoned the guy had to be good if he was accepted into such a mission. But he still couldn't understand why people loved war.

He himself had decided that this mission would be his last. He only had three weeks left to serve and he would not renew his contract. He had done enough killing for several lifetimes. The faces of his victims haunted him. They came to him in his sleep. There were too many of them.

As the others had had answers to their questions Jo-Jo asked his: "Is there any information about where the blackout originates from or are we just randomly going to Valletta?"

DeletedUser22493

"..Andrê was sitting to the right of the three seats in the back of the Huey, next to Alan who was sitting in middle.
When Andrzej finished his brifing, Andrê turned his head to the left, looking over a mounted GAU-17/A, and out the open door, into open waters. Staring mindlessly out in the horizon paying no attention to Mohamed's enthusiasm, his thought started rolling..

He had a feeling command knew more then they were sharing, sending them in with this kind of firepower. This was not another in and out mission.."

DeletedUser31931

Ben was sat next to the Russian scout who sat there quietly. Ben pulled out a cloth and his weapons and laid them out. He cleaned his weapons yet again making sure the HK121 was in good condition. He had been through a lifetime of violence and had killed enough for one lifetime. He had always wanted to be a soldier and it had turned him into a cold-blooded killer in the heat of battle. The others asked questions as Ben sat there quietly assessing all possible threats. A lifetime of SAS duty had left it's mark on him. He was worried about the fact they knew nothing. When the American shouted he sighed. Why were they demolitions guys always the idiots? All they cared about was blowing up stuff. As soon as a fight started Ben would switch onto autopilot. Running, ducking, jumping, shooting.... he could do it all. He had to; it was his profession. He hoped there wasn't going to be to much fighting. He pulled down the Hazmat visor for the last time and as Malta pulled into sight he loaded his weapon, holstered his Desert Eagle, and flicked the safety button to off. Then he spoke "I recommend we leave in pairs. We have no idea what we could find when we walk off. For all we know we could be walking into the middle of a fire-fight. I say me and Hillel come off first and as soon as we think it's safe I'll radio back to tell the rest of you to come off. Then you" He said pointing to the medic "Should check the ground and air for biochemical dangers. Also do we have any air support at all?"

DeletedUser

Alan noticed that everyone had top of the range weaponry for a mission that was supposed to be a go in, check it out and then get out and let the jocks take over. Hopefully we don't have to use these weapons, thought Alan. He glanced at the Heavy while he spoke. When he finished Alan replied, "If there is a threat to us by biochemical or radiation I suggest we get out here as fast as possible, because if we have to fight then if our suits get ripped even slightly we won't just bleed to death, we'll be doomed". Alan glanced out the window when he finished. "Sir, is there any theories as to why the blackout happened?" Alan questioned.