Do you think teen violence can be blamed on T.V, video games, or music?

DeletedUser

Ok... What?

And Denisero and John, Make due with what you got; Improvise, if I lived in a hell hole like east Ohio, I would deal with it, I sure as hell wouldn't like it, but I would do my best to fair with it.

When life gives you crap, rub lifes nose in it.

I've lived -crappy- for years, but that doesn't bring me down.
I know whom I am, and what I'm made of.

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Anyways, we are way off-topic here guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The Columbine Massacre was done by kids who watched the Matrix, that doesn't mean the Matrix made them violent does it? It doesn't mean that they wouldn't have killed 15 people if they didn't watch the Matrix (they could've committed their crime based on The Terminator or Rambo, or maybe used a sword if they watched LOTR, or a space ship if they were Star Wars fanatics). When violence is presented as the solution to a problem then violence tends to be a more acceptable way of dealing with problems. It is an interesting conundrum where we are in a society that frowns on spanking children, but thinks nothing of showing them how to kill with almost total disregard for the consequences.
I was actually hoping someone would bring up this type of argument. Did you also know that the kids who did that school shooting (and every other publicized school shooting) were on behavioral modification drugs (Ritalin, Adderall, etc.)? These are drugs with the top three side effects of sudden cardiac arrest, psychotic episodes, and and cardiac arrhythmia. Considering that, don't you think it's entirely more likely that the drugs played a much, much larger part in their chosen actions than movies?

As someone else pointed out, people have always wanted to blame something else. No one wants to be accountable, especially in this day and age.

Of course, my question has yet to be answered by anyone who claims that video games, movies, or music is to be blamed for behavior.

DeletedUser

Games may not make you a homicidal maniac but I do know if I try to drive anywhere after playing burnout, I want to sideswipe and shunt every slowpoke in front of me. But I control the urge and thats what it all comes down to. Its called self control for a reason. If you can't trust yourself not to punch someone out after playing fight night then don't play. Its the same thing with alcohol. I know I can't control how much I drink so I control where I drink and who I drink with. And I don't drink if I work in the morning. I can't call my boss and say sorry I'm not coming into work because I woke up in an ally and can't find my pants.

So if your going to play violent games, don't leave the house with a rifle or chainsaw. And don't burnout and drive. This has been a public service announcement. And now you know. And knowing is half the battle.

DeletedUser

In a perfect world scwanobi, but games, fanship, television viewing, the internet, can be tools to addiction. All addictions provide the high of sensory stimulation and the lows of sensory depravation and/or pain. Addictions override common sense, rational thought, conscientious behavior.

DeletedUser

Penn and Teller did a wonderful episode of Bull (word not to be mentioned) about this topic.

The name of the show is apparently inappropriate even when in acronym form. But let us just say that the acronym the same as would be the acronym for Bachelor of Science but has a different meaning.

DeletedUser

Yes and no. It mostly depends on how much of the Negative Influences the person is exposed to, and some other factors. For example: I enjoy fighting games but I'm a smart kid (I'm twelve) and have good parents, and don't constantly play/watch/listen to that stuff so it doesn't affect me much. Somebody who plays Grand Theft Auto constantly or watches violence would probably be a future serial killer, though.

DeletedUser

Yes and no. It mostly depends on how much of the Negative Influences the person is exposed to, and some other factors. For example: I enjoy fighting games but I'm a smart kid (I'm twelve) and have good parents, and don't constantly play/watch/listen to that stuff so it doesn't affect me much. Somebody who plays Grand Theft Auto constantly or watches violence would probably be a future serial killer, though.

False.

People are not empty canisters that get filled up by whatever media they enjoy. We are far more complex then that.

DeletedUser

Violent games can actually be therapeutic. You get to take out frustration without actually hurting anyone, all while being entertained.

DeletedUser

Also, teen violence has actually gone down since the advent of video games. Like I have previously posted, violence has not increased, just the coverage of it. The common factors between teen shootings are 1)all males, and 2) depression. Just because someone has a kneejerk reaction and decides after a violent act to search the childs room and find a video game does not prove a correlation or causation.

Also, just to add a little something more, video games often serve as a social experience.

DeletedUser

teen violence cannot be blamed on video games

i am the living case

1-i am teen :sad:
2-i play many violet games :laugh:
3-i am not violent :nowink:

DeletedUser

look up the phrase, "empirical evidence," then kindly refrain from presenting the above as evidence.

DeletedUser

teen violence cannot be blamed on video games

i am the living case

1-i am teen :sad:
2-i play many violet games :laugh:
3-i am not violent :nowink:
Obviously this is the secret formula to create a habitual spammer :p (although supposedly a reformed one)

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Lots of video games help focus, reactions, hearing, maths, efficacy, relaxation, problem solving, team work and social skills (convinced, language, speaking, functioning as a community etc).

These aren't always transferred into the real world either.

People don't copy exactly which the character is doing (at least not often) but they do utilize the skills that help them and reject those that don't.

Playing The West helps me time my day, it doesn't encourage me to duel with pistols in the street.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

oh pfah, a video game is a video game and provides virtually nothing in the form of life skills.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
games helped me in these things :D
ever played GTA ??

Not every game I was talking about MMRPGs and some built up tactic games.

A know a lot of gamers use teamspeak and I've seen players go from very little English to fluent in less than a year just using text (fluent in text anyway, I don't know about vocally)

Last edited: