Do you think teen violence can be blamed on T.V, video games, or music?

DeletedUser

It's also important to differentiate the benefits of the internet with that of games.

DeletedUser

Also, teen violence has actually gone down since the advent of video games. Like I have previously posted, violence has not increased, just the coverage of it. The common factors between teen shootings are 1)all males, and 2) depression. Just because someone has a kneejerk reaction and decides after a violent act to search the childs room and find a video game does not prove a correlation or causation.

Also, just to add a little something more, video games often serve as a social experience.

Correct. Our society's problems aren't increasing, we are just becoming more sensitive.

DeletedUser

If you opened a newspaper back in the American Revolutionary War, it almost never would have been "Little Kid in Charleston Gets Kidnapped", or "Nut Shoots up Marketplace With Blunderbuss."

DeletedUser

If you opened a newspaper back in the American Revolutionary War, it almost never would have been "Little Kid in Charleston Gets Kidnapped", or "Nut Shoots up Marketplace With Blunderbuss."

Oh come'on, are you even trying to compare? I mean... oh jesus. This is ridiculous. The only satisfaction I can get is by doing this:

WRONG.

DeletedUser

nope, it has to do with how many pups or kittens a momma cat or dog has.

DeletedUser

watchoo talkin bout bo-ay?? i aint dun did sed nuttin bout no jew tipes

(Actually, I think the way it worked was that the people who could read were usually very highly educated and the others, well, let's just say that there was really no "in between" except for those who were self taught (the types that wouldn't be working for newspapers, I mean.)

DeletedUser

You learned to read if your family could spare the time to send you to the local school often enough.

DeletedUser

If you didn't even know how to read, it was fine back then. Now, if you can't read or write, your treated like an alien. Anybodys opinion on the difference between then and now?

DeletedUser

There's still a bunch of people who can't read, though now its considered bad. They just end up, if their teachers are lazy, being processed right through each grade in till they drop out.

DeletedUser

If people perform violent acts performed on TV or video games you cant blame the game you have to blame the stupidity of the person who performed or reinacted it. -_-

DeletedUser

well since this is a board for the west and thus being a video game, who would say yes

DeletedUser12669

its a stupid debate violence has being happening since the dawn of humanity.film, video and comp games give the brainless new ideas how to kill.

DeletedUser

The sharing of ideas is, indeed, part of the gain/loss to mass media. There are shows on television showing people how to "succeed" in prison. How stupid is that? The power of the prisons is the fear factor associated with gross ignorance.

But yes, it is not the weapon, or the means of obtaining that weapon (in this case, information), that is as much to blame as it is the wielder of that weapon. Still, if the means to obtain is easy, so too are we making it easy for a potential wielder to act on their intent. There are not full-scale gun wars in prisons because such weapons are not accessible in prison, not because the type of people in prison wouldn't wield them if they had a chance.

But the argument isn't as much about the availability, as it is the exposure at such early ages, thereby potentially warping the mindset of still-developing young minds. So, deadleg, if you can address that end of the discussion, maybe we'll get something more substantive out of your input.

DeletedUser

I agree with you on the availability at such a young age thing. Yeah they have the esrb but that doesn't do any good when parents don't follow it. I saw a mother buying GTA 3 for her 8 year old son. How messed up is that. If parents weren't so lazy and actually started caring about what their kids did rather than just giving the kid a game to keep them out of their hair there wouldn't be as much of a problem.

DeletedUser

This is a really interesting topic... I admit that I am a peaceful person sometimes and a rageful person at others... I can't say I think my tendency to rage comes from playing video games, or watching tv shows or movies... and I've had my fair share of all of them. I need outlets for my energy so I get a lot of exercise - that's me... I'm sure most people have their violent streaks and their methods of dealing with big emotions. I think that's part of being human though some people may have more violence/passion in them than others...

But I think it takes another ingredient to be violent against other people. I think people have to dehumanize each other first. That's why the name calling always comes first. That's why they tell you that one way to defend yourself is to get your attacker to see you as a person.... That's why the first thing you do is give the enemy a new name... something unpleasant. Then you aren't hurting someone ( a father, a mother, a child, or friend ) you are hurting the unpleasant name and destroying the negative, or evil that you have associated with that name.

Our society teaches us how to do that and it uses all available means of communication to reach everyone. So whether we get that from our games and shows, or our newspapers, or families, or travelers and word of mouth, doesn't really matter.

The most important question is always going to be - Did anyone ever teach you to think for yourself?

DeletedUser

The most important question is always going to be - Did anyone ever teach you to think for yourself?

Some parents dont, some do. Mine did. I can handle knowing the F bomb and listening to bands like Rage Against the Machine. I think of my own opinion and not what others think of me. However, I know swareing and going around with my political opinion will make people think less of me, and therefore, think less of my parents. So I be as responsible as I can to a point. I think for myself and let the consequencas hit me.