Do Ghosts Exist?

DeletedUser

This was a good debate on the grepolis forums before the DnD section was closed :(

so i wanted to restart this debate.

do ghosts exist?

DeletedUser

Ghosts :
In traditional belief, a ghost is the soul or spirit of a deceased person or animal that can appear, in visible form or other manifestation, to the living. Descriptions of the apparition of ghosts vary widely: The mode of manifestation can range from an invisible presence to translucent or wispy shapes, to realistic, life-like visions. The deliberate attempt to contact the spirit of a deceased person is known as necromancy, or in spiritism as a séance.

The belief in manifestations of the spirits of the dead is widespread, dating back to animism or ancestor worship in pre-literate cultures. Certain religious practices—funeral rites, exorcisms, and some practices of spiritualism and ritual magic—are specifically designed to appease the spirits of the dead. Ghosts are generally described as solitary essences that haunt particular locations, objects, or people they were associated with in life, though stories of the phantom armies, ghost trains, phantom ships, and even ghost animals have also been recounted

Exist : something that is proven to be alive or was once alive (in a way)

Thank You Wikipedia :D

DeletedUser9470

for me, ghosts = stories.

The human body senses more than we know.

for example we can sense if someone else is in the room.

how?
sensing heat/room temperature variation/air movement/noise?...

so if your brain comes to a certain conclusion by assimilating certain senses, recreating those same senses by other means would still lead your brain to th same conclusion.
for example
someone enters a room > heat + air movement + noise = someone else is in the room
someone turns on a radiator in a room > heat + air movement + noise! your brain concludes wrongly that there is someone else in the room.

Im being pretty basic in my explanation, but i am no biology teacher :p

as much as our brain is extremely apt at putting information together, it can also be fooled.
and this is exactly what has happened to people who firmly believe they have seen a ghost.
the conditions were right to lead their brain to the only conclusion that a ghost was the cause of what they were sensing.

DeletedUser

good job explaining, i have been watching waaaay to many horror movies lately.

i think that it may be possible for a part of the humans sprit to be left behind in a certain place and repeat daily activities over and over again like a broken record. and if angered perhaps like a normal human it could take aggressive action???

DeletedUser

Short answer; No, ghosts do not exist.
If you want to argue the opposite, provide hard evidence.

DeletedUser

Ghosts :

Exist : something that is proven to be alive or was once alive (in a way)
There's your answer : "proven"

When we are small we are very credulous and find it easy to believe in Santa Claus, the bogeyman, magic etc. but as we mature we become more adept at separating shared reality from imagination.
When adults express a belief in ghosts, angels, the soul or whatever I see it as a vestige of this juvenile propensity to believe uncritically.

DeletedUser9470

i think the ghost thing is exactly the same thing as religion.
hence why they talk of the holy ghost.
its a romantic and completely flawed explanation to something a lot of people cannot comprehend.

DeletedUser28032

Often as not the paranormal phenomem that occurs around suppossedly haunted places such as Edinburgh dungeons are brought on by the expectations of the people present. In short the place is haunted therefore that strange noise, draft etc must be a ghost whereas if the same noise, draft etc was to occur in your front room you would merely file it away as having left a window open (unless you lived in a haunted house of course) the same goes for the Loch Ness monster float a stick in the water and people instantly assume its Nessie.
Needless to say until proven otherwise I have to say that ghosts don't exist...well at least until it gets dark anyway.

DeletedUser

Ghosts do not exist, as far as I'm concerned.

Also, haven't we already had this conversation, a long time in the past? This thread sure is familiar :rolleyes:

DeletedUser28032

You see ghosts do exist, this is the ghost of threads gone past :)