Discussion Development changes

• Thread starter DeletedUser30224
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser30224

New year 2014 brings some changes to how we handle development of proposed ideas. It has been discussed and agreed that a lower passing rate of 75% is better suited to the current development of the game, which represents a decrease of 5% from the old 80% pass grade. We do not have as many active members as we used to have in the forum (unfortunately) and we have started to see a trend where even a slightly controversial idea has little to no chance of passing if the pass mark is so high.

This in turn forced us to revise another change where we will keep the votes public. We are hoping that each player, reads the proposal and understands the content before casting a vote on the matter and a public vote might just be needed to give players a tiny bit of incentive to substantiate their votes. The other reason is that it would be slightly easier to spot any malicious manipulation of the poll.

Harassment of players regarding their vote will not be accepted, we are each entitled to our opinions.

I have tried to get the developers attention to provide us with some feedback and this is what I have learned: The West has many servers and each has a similar development process available for forum users. To get feedback for .net would mean all other language servers will have to have the same privilege, and InnoGames just cannot spare their staff to do that. Instead, our passed ideas are reviewed periodically and if they coincide with the planned development of the game, some of those might be incorporated in the grand plan. You should understand that the developers of The West have their own workload according to some planned organisation goals (road map) and are not strictly at our disposal. One improvement that has been made in my opinion is with the community reports where we are informed on the current development. This still doesn't help us with feedback to passed ideas, but at least we know what is being planned at the moment.

So the conclusion is that at the moment we have unrealistic chances of getting feedback on passed ideas and can only hope than in the future this will change.

DeletedUser23437

so, if I understand correctly, the developers don't even look at proposals that pass from here??

if that is so, whats the point of us, as users, trying to help make this game better? (free of charge mind you) that means ideas posted, discussed, and voted on are just words typed on a screen, that end up in the dark hole of the net.

DeletedUser30224

so, if I understand correctly, the developers don't even look at proposals that pass from here??

if that is so, whats the point of us, as users, trying to help make this game better? (free of charge mind you) that means ideas posted, discussed, and voted on are just words typed on a screen, that end up in the dark hole of the net.

The poster above this has your answer. I never said they do not process them, I said they do not have the time to give us feedback. Feedback meaning: "Proposal X will not be introduced but Y has a high chance of being inserted in the development".

DeletedUser35533

I think passing rate was fine at 80 but whatever.
even the simplest suggestions made more then a half a year ago have not been implemented , so the whole thing does feel pointless

DeletedUser23437

you know, now that I thought about this a bit more, really, why can't they give a quick response when an idea reaches them. I mean here we maybe lucky to send 1 idea a month up to inno, because of getting it passed by us on the forum is so hard... so how many ideas can they really get from all the servers in 1 month?? 10-20?? that would take someone 10-20 mins to read and give a quick response of: 'we will explore this more' or 'this will never happen'

I think what we are looking for, from Inno, is just to know that they may care even just a little bit of how the players feel about the game and that they appreciate any effort some of us give to try and make the game the best on the web

DeletedUser

Think about this for a second. There are a lot of players who play this game in all different countries. If Inno-games, responded to all of them, then nothing would get done. Our game is not the only sever out there, there are a lot more. Inno-games does listen to some of our request in order to make the game fun. However, this comes down to time management. It would at least take ten people to read all of the forums that are out there. We have an awesome forum committee on .net, who respond to our noobish request at times.

DeletedUser23437

Think about this for a second. There are a lot of players who play this game in all different countries. If Inno-games, responded to all of them, then nothing would get done. Our game is not the only sever out there, there are a lot more. Inno-games does listen to some of our request in order to make the game fun. However, this comes down to time management. It would at least take ten people to read all of the forums that are out there. We have an awesome forum committee on .net, who respond to our noobish request at times.

I never said all of them, I was just talking about the maybe 10-20 ideas we may send them in a year, after they pass a vote. really that wouldn't take long for a 'we like it' or 'it sucks' response...

so how many forums does the-west have?? 10, 20, 50, 1000??

Deleted User - 1802579

I never said all of them, I was just talking about the maybe 10-20 ideas we may send them in a year, after they pass a vote. really that wouldn't take long for a 'we like it' or 'it sucks' response...

As far as I know, every language server has their own forum, so that comes down to about 20.

I'm not sure that changing voting from anonymous to public is going to change anything about how people will vote, but time will tell.

DeletedUser

I am sorry I guess I don't understand what the big deal is. Inno-Game developers are people. Besides the dot net, which we are playing on, there are 19 other The West forums. If we send them 10 - 20 request that are in English, then that means that the developers have to translate it from ours to theirs and then to German. If you take the 19 other TW that Inno-Games. So the question becomes then, is it worth the developers time and energy, because they are humans also and get stressed out, to look and translate all 20 different forums that are on The West. I don't think it is worth the time or energy to respond to everyone's post.

DeletedUser31931

I think that that is besides the point, they still see our ideas to improve the game and I am totally for the suggestion to lower the pass mark as I agree that this means that the more controversial suggestions can get through and they can take a look, I mean, 75% is still a clear majority so this would show that the players still want this. Totally reasonable.

Deleted User - 1693871

And then the next time something misses the 75% mark by a margin, there will be calls to lower it to 70%. Then lower still?

The current 80% at least ensures that only those proposals that a large majority consider to have merit are put through to developers.

DeletedUser31931

No, but consider what Zd3no said. Anything controversial (as we have seen) that gets any small amount of no votes will not get through. 75% is still a high threshold and ensures that the community wants it.

DeletedUser

I like the current 80%. Want more Yes votes? Spread the word in the game. Push the voters here to vote.

DeletedUser

Considering that most governments are elected with far less than 75%, I don't see too much of an issue. Even new laws in most countries require less than 75% in a vote.

DeletedUser23437

really, this should be a lot less to pass... like a simple majority

Why? because things we pass here will never make it to the game as proposed, in fact, our best hope for anything we pass is to give Inno an idea. Something they can either morf into the game, or most likely, something that will get them to see things from another perspective. so when they plan to make changes in the future they can take different ideas to build on one big piece of the game and just maybe our ideas will let them see things from a player point of view on how to fix an issue.

DeletedUser

How about a simple 2/3 majority. INNO reminds me of the United States Government. Ineffective president, and a Congress that has no clue what they are doing. Congress needs 2/3 majority to get past a Veto :p.

DeletedUser

An old west lynch mob only needed about 25%, so what? 80% was perfectly fine for years. Now we've lowered the standards to appease the masses? Let's just focus on the presentation of good ideas instead of making it easier for less popular ideas to slip through.

Status
Not open for further replies.