deletion of ghost towns

• Thread starter DeletedUser36098
  • Start date

DeletedUser36098

Proposal
Delete all or at least most of the ghost towns in each world.

Current Workaround
players search for ever decreasing places to build new towns for town build achievements

Details
Inno places an automatic delete countdown on all towns that is triggered when the town is abandoned. If there is any item or cash situated in the towns market ready for player collection, the item or cash is delivered to the specific player. The timer can be of any length but suggested time is 2 month minimum. any ghost town taken over will have the timer cancelled and reset if or when abandoned again.

Abuse Prevention
with the delivery of items or cash to recipient players there is none

Summary
At present players wanting to gain achievements in building a town have the option of trying to build the church in their own town, or try to reclaim old ghost towns with the pot luck of levels already built and thus making their task almost as hard. with more new players joining older and thus more established worlds there is a reducing number of places to build new towns and thus a reducing possibility of gaining the achievements for building town buildings. It is therefore logical that as with the old west, ghost towns deteriorate with time. A count down to deletion for all abandoned towns is a good solution as it allows new towns to be built by newer players or those looking to gain their town building achievements.

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? No

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser36979

Great idea. All those ghost town are cluttering up the map, makes perfect sense that they disappear after a while.

DeletedUser36559

Yup, good idea and allows players to gain the achievements faster.

DeletedUser

They are deleted after a time. New plots are always opening up. You just have to search.
I don't agree with this proposal for 2 reasons.
1) As I say, they are already deleted after a certain amount of time has passed. (Without someone taking them over.)
2) At least 1 of my friends 'town-hops' by taking over ghost-towns that sell items that I or another friend need to complete their sets. (The items that ghost-towns sell can be checked on TW-DB).
So if all ghost-towns were deleted, if we needed an item that our towns don't already sell, we would be forced to build a brand-new town in the hope that that town would sell the items, or hope that someone sells them on the Market. (Otherwise we'd be faced with extortionate prices buying in foreign-towns.
So to recap, a very big no from me.

DeletedUser36559

2) At least 1 of my friends 'town-hops' by taking over ghost-towns that sell items that I or another friend need to complete their sets. (The items that ghost-towns sell can be checked on TW-DB).
So if all ghost-towns were deleted, if we needed an item that our towns don't already sell, we would be forced to build a brand-new town in the hope that that town would sell the items, or hope that someone sells them on the Market. (Otherwise we'd be faced with extortionate prices buying in foreign-towns.
So to recap, a very big no from me.

Rather than town-hopping and hoping that particular town sells x item why not 'town-hop' into other towns, buy the item then leave. Otherwise ask others to buy it from their town stores and put it up on market.

DeletedUser

Joining, buying and then leaving is rather bad form. Besides, as I said, thanks to TW-DB, there is no guesswork. It tells you which ghost-towns sell the items we need. One of them just takes it over and buys what we need, then sells it to us.
We could ask someone to buy the stuff for us and sell them at cost, but over time, we've bought so many items from towns that were ghost-towns that people would become annoyed at our constant requests for them to buy items for us.
It's actually much easier for one of us to take over a ghost-town that sells what we need, buy the items, then ditch the town again.
If anyone is looking for vacant plots, they really are popping up all the time.
I made a list of ghost-towns that had a number of items that I myself needed to complete some sets. Only one of my friends was free to take over a town at that time and when it came to the 3rd town, it had already disappeared and was just a building-plot, so I missed out on that town's items.
I did end up buying most of them at the Market though. Sometimes people sell excess items below cost, so I actually saved money in the long-run. :)

DeletedUser35277

I use them to travel quickly from town or a job site, to close to the next job site using speed clothes, then the new job is right there and I simply set my work clothes and travel a short distance rather than a long one, since depending on job requirements, you may have a slow horse! I like them for leap frogging to where I want to go. Also, newbies can take over them just as well as an empty plot and still get their building pts while having at least a few items in the town's stores to start off with. I would vote NO to removing most of the ghost towns.

DeletedUser

An easier way, (if you can access the job with the speed set on), is to put on your best speed set, select 1 x 15s job at the location where you want to work.
Once you've done that, put on your best clothing (including mount) for the job that you actually want to do.
Then you set up your job as you normally would and cancel the 15s job. Once your location is locked, your arrival-time will not change and you do the job with the best gear on, but arrive quickly. That way there is no need to go from ghost-town to ghost-town.
The only time this will not work is if you are trying to do a job that is higher than your level but the clothing allows you to do it anyway. In these cases, when you have on your speed set, you may not be able to access the job.

Post-edit: I know that sounded a little complicated, so here's an example. You want to do a 'silver' Hunt Buffalo job for 1 hour - which is on the other side of the map to you.
Put on your speed set, click on the job-icon where you want to go. Select something like Hunt Turkeys for 15s. Put on your best gear for Hunting Buffalo and select the 1Hr job that you want to do. Then you cancel the 15s Hunt Turkeys.
You will speed to the job and when you arrive, you will do the Hunt Buffalo job with the best gear on.

DeletedUser36098

I managed to leave out an important bit of the proposal.. hehehe

the idea is that ghost towns disappear but if it is taken over again and becomes a town the timer is reset and becomes active again from the start if or when that town becomes a ghost town again

I have yet to find a ghost town disappearing from a place I have noticed one before now. if they do disappear they are not disappearing very fast and need to speed up a little bit so more spaces are available.

DeletedUser

Heh heh. You've described exactly what happens. :)
If a ghost-town is taken over and then that person leaves, the timer does indeed reset. I'm not sure of the time-frame, but it is not as short as I'm sure you'd like it to be. I have seen ghost-towns vacant for what seemed like a long time, then suddenly one day they were gone. (To me, a long time could be anywhere from 3 days to a couple of weeks. :))
Just have a good look around the map and you will eventually find a plot. I built my town on a vacant plot because I believed at the time that ghost-towns did not disappear. I built it up to a large size and now - if I had known about the ghost-towns disappearing - I would have waited and built in a place much more suitable. (Next to the quest Ghost Town for instance.)
Rest assured that there will be plots. If after a thorough search you still can't find one, maybe you could post on the in-game forums that people start and ask people to keep an eye out for you for vacant plots.
What world are you in? I am only in World 1, so if you are in there, I myself will keep an eye out for you. :)