Death Sentence.

DeletedUser

Mexico has just recently banned the death sentence, claiming it was to cruel, in my opinion what it so cruel about it, is it not cruel for the murders that were commited in most of thease crimes? i belive the sentence isnt used enough and mexico should have never banned the law, i can't find the case but 19 years ago a woman was convicted of i belive 17 murders and was only given the life sentence, but then a year later another man murderd one man and was given the death sentence. i belive it's atleast used wrong, in my opinion, You murder, you'r given the death sentence, you attempt to murder, a life sentence, this does not apply to rapes though, because the united states does not belive in toture and seing as that is what rape is, it would simply be a life sentence,

Could you all give me you'r opinion on this issue?

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Murdering someone because they murdered somebody else doesn't make anything better.

Edit: Aren't you supposed to be a Christian?

Last edited:

DeletedUser

I don't believe in the death sentence. Aside from the obvious harm and injustice in the case of innocent people being convicted (it is hard to lodge an appeal from the grave), I think having the death sentence cheapens the value placed on human life within society. No-one, in my opinion, should have the right, or the responsibilty to pronounce death on someone else, or to execute them. Sometimes I forget how barbaric and uncivilised the United States is.

DeletedUser

yes i am a christhan but im sick of the complaints from goverments about how a realeased suspect takes another persons life the more we kill the less they (( the killers )) kill just last month i saw on the news a woman killed her husband, then she was giveing four years with bail out, and now shes bailed and expected to be out in 75 days

DeletedUser

The death penalty costs more in the long run than a life sentence would (just in appeals alone). Also, it amounts to Government sanctioned murder. It's revenge for revenge's sake. It doesn't solve anything and it isn't an effective deterrent.
To quote Steve Earl:
"I have a problem with my government killing people. Since my government is supposed to be me. And I don't want to kill anyone."

and from my favorite bumper sticker

"Of course I'm against the death penalty; look what happened to Jesus"

DeletedUser

It doesn't solve anything and it isn't an effective deterrent.

now I have to ask what if that mass murder (criminal) escaped because A. the prisions were not doing there Job or B. they were not given the death penalty. would you fear for you life if he was in your area? even if he was innocent would you still fear for your life if you did not know.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
Murdering somebody doesn't make the person crazy or psychopathic. Even in extreme cases like Josef Fritzl there is compassion inside.

DeletedUser

and just something to add to my last post here

what would be the odds that said criminal would commit the crime again if they were put in prision or if they were sentanced to the death penalty.

Last edited by a moderator:

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
what would be the odds that said criminal would commit the crime again if they were put in prision and if they were sentanced to the death penalty.

The odds of someone else dying if the death penalty is used are certain, if not then they are low.

DeletedUser

now I have to ask what if that mass murder (criminal) escaped because A. the prisions were not doing there Job or B. they were not given the death penalty. would you fear for you life if he was in your area? even if he was innocent would you still fear for your life if you did not know.

look, if you trust the security of death row or solitary confinement then you trust the security of the prison. Killing inmates does not ensure the safety of the community any more than a life sentence with no possibility of parole would. nobody has ever escaped just because they weren't given the death penalty. You sir really need to go take some lessons in reading comprehension and how to construct a cogent argument.

DeletedUser

look, if you trust the security of death row or solitary confinement then you trust the security of the prison. Killing inmates does not ensure the safety of the community any more than a life sentence with no possibility of parole would. nobody has ever escaped just because they weren't given the death penalty. You sir really need to go take some lessons in reading comprehension and how to construct a cogent argument.

so then I have to ask you what cost more keeping the prisoner in prision for life (20-30 years). or the death penalty.

DeletedUser

the death sentence is rubbish, people can get wrongly convicted and then put to death, it's bad enough when they are locked up wrongly for 20 years but if they are killed it's all messed up isn't it?
and plus, if someone murdered one of my family i'd rather the culprit rot in a cell than be given the release and freedom of death

DeletedUser

so then I have to ask you what cost more keeping the prisoner in prision for life (20-30 years). or the death penalty.

the cost of the appeals process (and in most states at least the first round of appeals in death penalty cases is automatic) is considerably more (Both prosecutors and public defenders etc.. Plus you have to pay for extra staff for executions (medical personnel etc.)
http://www.religioustolerance.org/execut3.htmhttp://www.religioustolerance.org/execut3.htm
from the above link
A new concern: budgetary restrictions:

In a speech before the Maryland Senate in mid-2009-FEB, Governor Martin O'Malley argued that the death penalty in the state be eliminated to cut costs. He noted that capital homicide cases cost three times as much as homicide cases in which the death penalty is not sought. He said: "... we can't afford that when there are better and cheaper ways to reduce crime."

Lawmakers in Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska and New Hampshire have made similar arguments in bills launched to repeal the death penalty. The New York Times noted that experts say such bills have a good chance of passing in Maryland, Montana and New Mexico.

and further info
http://www.deathpenaltyinfo.org/costs-death-penalty

DeletedUser

the death sentence is rubbish, people can get wrongly convicted and then put to death, it's bad enough when they are locked up wrongly for 20 years but if they are killed it's all messed up isn't it?
and plus, if someone murdered one of my family i'd rather the culprit rot in a cell than be given the release and freedom of death
yes i am aware of this and a case like that occured not to long ago, it's sad it happans but i do wish we could find a way to stop the murder which means the death sentence would erge pepole not to kill makeing things some what more safe on this earth

i hate war i hate death and i wish we could fix it and it's obviously going to start witth more murders

DeletedUser

I always find it ironic many of the same people that find the death penalty abhorrent, go right around and condone torture (enhanced interrogation, for you deniers). And where is it written you are malevolent for putting someone to death, yet saintly for imprisoning them for the remainder of their life?

The argument that the system is flawed (the legal process for determining guilt or innocence), so you shouldn't have the death penalty seems to completely dismiss the fallacy of locking someone in prison for the rest of their life, despite their innocence. I'm also struggling with this notion that we should trust the correction system to keep people imprisoned, yet turning right around and claiming that determination of guilt or innocence is faulty.

The argument that the U.S. legal system is so convoluted it costs more to put someone to death than it takes to keep them in prison is true. But, even if it were not true, does the cost dismiss the justification? If it were cheaper to kill them than it would be to keep them in prison, would that somehow justify the act of putting them to death? What i'm trying to say here is: don't present an argument that is not justification, but accounting.

All this stated, i think it is far more important to realize these moral arguments fall flat if you focus on the present function of the correction system in the U.S.. It is, in fact, geared to be a system of punishment, not correction. But, the punishment provided is an education in criminal practice, sexual depravity, racism, gang-oriented survival, and a breakdown in civil restraint.

Considering this, you should also consider that the U.S. prison systems are horrendously overcrowded and the means to resolve this is to shorten sentences and release criminals back into society after they learned all these great things while in prison. Consider, as well, the vast majority of escalation in violent crimes and gang activity in Mexico, Guatamala, El Salvador, Honduras, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Panama are attributed to ex-cons, people who served prison sentences in the U.S..

For many, the threat of prison is not a strong deterrence, but the threat of death is. As a whole, people fear death more than anything else. Death is the great unknown and that which is most unknown is most feared. A scheduled death, one determined by the courts, is far more scary due to loss of control in one's own destiny. This is not to say that the notion of imprisonment is not a deterrence, for it is, but in a country where prison is not all that scary, additional deterents are needed.

DeletedUser

My main argument is not about the monetary cost, but the moral cost to society. I agree that having prisons geared for punishment rather than rehabilitation of convicts is self defeating, turning minor criminals into serious offenders. I am worried more about the cost to society of giving judges the power of life and death over others and requiring people to act as executioners. Do you think these people are unaffected in their lives and attitudes by the work they do? What about the general populace? I have seen crowds on tv literally baying for the blood of convicted killers on the news, I found the spectacle as sickening as the crimes they were convicted of.

I believe in rehabilitation and reintegration of most criminals, those who can never become safe and useful members of our society perhaps should be killed, but I think that we lose something important within our society if we do so, and cheapening the value of human life cannot be good.

DeletedUser8950

I don't believe in the death sentence. Aside from the obvious harm and injustice in the case of innocent people being convicted (it is hard to lodge an appeal from the grave), I think having the death sentence cheapens the value placed on human life within society. No-one, in my opinion, should have the right, or the responsibilty to pronounce death on someone else, or to execute them. Sometimes I forget how barbaric and uncivilised the United States is.
QFT
Who has the moral upperground if you stoop as low as them? Yes, are taxes shouldn't go towards mainting prisons and such, but the goverment isn't made of money.
If killing someone is morally wrong, killing someone because they're a killer should be morally wrong.

DeletedUser

I suppose i'm a little more invested in the idea civilization is a facade'. We maintain an army, a police force, a barbaric caste to impose an artificial barrier, so we can live sheltered in a society, believing atrocities only exist outside and, in this fashion, the vast majority keep their hands clean.

Does that make any more sense? Is it the illusion of moral right that matters more?