Daily Insights

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Wow Seamus, you really do need to get a formal education, because all these quotes are taken out of context and were plucked by you from various creationist websites.

Before I bother to defend the predominant theory referred to as Big Bang, let me point out that Creationism IS NOT a theory, has no supporting evidence whatsoever, and any attempt to argue otherwise, by presentation of things you don't even begin to comprehend (for lack of an education) is lay "boomstick" tactics.

Basically, what you and the creationism movement are trying to do is insert yourself into the scientific debate, but it's just not going to happen. Reason being, just because there are differing scientific theories does not mean a non-scientific postulation will be accepted into the scientific debate. Differing theories does not mean they're, "unsure of themselves, and thus have a weakened belief system." No, it means that it's science (analysis), not religion (belief) and until you, and the rest of your creationist bedfellows get that through your head, you're just going to be looking rather comical and desperate.

so you therefore know nothing of the recession of the moon, the magnetic field of planets, spiral galaxies, comets (and the lack of evidence for "Oort clouds", right up there with "dark matter") and the evidence these provide for a younger universe than is commonly believed. Ever heard of "extrasolar" planets? More evidence that is consistent with a biblical view of solar system formation, and at odds with the evolutionary models.
See, this is what i'm talking about. First off, unfortunately for you, I do know about the above-mattered celestial bodies and their associated (and non-associated) measurable effects. Granted, not everything, but a helluva lot more than you. So when you try and pose these "boomsticks" to impress the other ignorant folks, you don't impress me because I know you're grasping for justification on an otherwise non-evidential stance.

Let's cut to the chase --- the Big Bang theory is the predominant theory, but it is not the only theory. Nonetheless, it is a theory, like all scientific theories, based on analysis of existing data and evidence. It is, by reasonable interpretation, a "good guess." It is not, however, an assumption. It is not, as well, a belief. It is argued and questioned, updated and reviewed by those within the scientific community, always working, through analysis, examination of evidence, and interpretation of data, to find a series of sub-theories that best fits the available evidence.

This mistake you, and so many other ignorant folk make (I'm assuming ignorance, because otherwise it's merely dishonesty), is that you think because scientists debate on theories that somehow their BELIEF system is flawed. The mistake here is thinking in your limited terms, as theories are not even remotely beliefs.

And just to reiterate: If you argue that it is not ignorance, then I will have to surmise you are intentionally trying to mislead people into thinking that creationism is a theory. That, dear sir, is opportunistic redress and specifically geared to take advantage of the notion that, "OMG, scientists are unsure, so creationism could be just a good a guess as anything else they throw out," which is just crap, as is creationism. In fact, let's call it what it is, HOGWASH.

Creationism has no foundation whatsoever. It has no evidence, no supporting data, and is a conclusion posed before examining any evidence. It is a process of reverse determinacy, whereby you grab your belief and then attempt to grab whatever you think might fit into the framework of your belief (or at least might confuse naysayers enough so they don't question your line of crap). Truthfully, I'm disgusted that you attempt to grab scientific discoveries and follow along blindly misquoting (and quoting out of context) physicists and philosophers in an attempt to discredit the very fields of study they spent their entire lives researching.

Seriously, what do you have? A high school education? The persons studying this material, and the relevant data, have been doing so for 40+ years, and learned from the shoulders of giants, who themselves learned from giants, and so on. The wealth of information and knowledge in the sciences are not some cheap dime-store novels you can pick up and understand overnight, but you try and argue this very notion with your ridiculous presentation.

As to Dawkins, you really need to stop taking his comments out of context. You and others repeatedly try and present him as some sort of believer, when in fact he's merely being British in his presentation of argument. Stated, his stance on these issues is firm, in that he contends Creationism is unsubstantiated tripe and anyone trying to argue otherwise is being dishonest. Finally, your claim of my intolerance denotes a complete ignorance about who I am and what is my background.

"The fundamentalists deny that evolution has taken place; they deny that the earth and the universe as a whole are more than a few thousand years old, and so on. There is ample scientific evidence that the fundamentalists are wrong in these matters, and that their notions of cosmogony have about as much basis in fact as the Tooth Fairy has."
~ Isaac Asimov [quoted in 2000 Years of Disbelief, Famous People with the Courage to Doubt, by James A. Haught, Prometheus Books, 1996]

DeletedUser

With all due respect, brother Hellstromm.. I used the term childlike, simply to point out that I have a simple thinking, for such belittling words to no longer be used such as "lack of comprehension". Childlike enough as well to just use simple questions. I wouldn't want to use your term "lack of comprehension: for you pose to be the one with scholarly knowledge and understanding in the field of science, and evidences. However, no offense meant, scholarly as you may be, I think you are being thrown offtrack from my previous point. Let's say all your Big Bang evidences are verifiable (?).. As childlike as I may reason out, I would utilize but simple questions as a child would...
You say evidences and verifiable...now, something most likely have caused this Big Bang.. and so based on your evidences - How? If you can give me that answer - When? If you could give me the answer - Why? Endless questioning which may later leave even the scholarly at a blank. This Big Bang naturally has components, and so - where did all this components all started, or come from? I am childlike also in the sense that I would simply admit - I do not know. And I would also accept that no living mortal can provide solution to the most intricate mysteries in the universe, be it real or Divine in nature.
And I would again reiterate probably for the last time - I am not seeking; nor do I see a need for prolonged discussion. In one of an earlier post of yours, brother, there was a short "line" already - "do not have all the answers". I on the other hand only have my opinions when I reply, but I won't say that IS the answer. And for the acceptance that a lot of things that I do not know, I keep my Faith. Now that IS one thing I do know. :nowink:

26th OF MAY, 2010

Gospel for today:
Mark 10:32-45 Ambition of James and John
Food for thought:
If we know the truth, we can discern what’s false.
:indian:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Wow Seamus, you really do need to get a formal education, because all these quotes are taken out of context and were plucked by you from various creationist websites.

Yet, you fail to refute or explain them. How are they out of context? You have no idea. The first thing I did when you blurted out a bunch of FF quotes was put them into context. This is a weak attempt at dismissal, something you've tried to accuse me of in the past.
Before I bother to defend the predominant theory referred to as Big Bang, let me point out that Creationism IS NOT a theory, has no supporting evidence whatsoever, and any attempt to argue otherwise, by presentation of things you don't even begin to comprehend (for lack of an education) is lay "boomstick" tactics.

First, you didn't even bother to attempt to defend the BB, perhaps you are planning further posts? Second, I've not referred to Creationism as a scientific theory ever, I have said rather that it is a world view, and one that is contrary to the evolutionary world view which pervades much of non-science related culture. Can we be clear? There are facts. The facts are the facts. They are objective. The Bible is not a Scientific book, and it's account of creation is not a scientific treatise. Yet, science can confirm the Bible's declarations. The evidence can be consistent with a biblical world view, and I maintain it is. There is no such thing as "creation science", so stop reading whatever is giving you this idea. Science is science.
Basically, what you and the creationism movement are trying to do is insert yourself into the scientific debate, but it's just not going to happen. Reason being, just because there are differing scientific theories does not mean a non-scientific postulation will be accepted into the scientific debate. Differing theories does not mean they're, "unsure of themselves, and thus have a weakened belief system." No, it means that it's science (analysis), not religion (belief) and until you, and the rest of your creationist bedfellows get that through your head, you're just going to be looking rather comical and desperate.

You don't seem to understand. I could be a Satanist, a Wiccan, a Hedonistic Atheist, it doesn't matter. Either the facts support the theory under evaluation, or they don't. I'm not sticking religion into it, you are. Here's the thing, when evolution is held onto with ardor and faith and used as an attempt to explain reality in total, it is a religion. I'm sure you'll love that. The fact is, there has never been a truly scientific study by definition of the origin of life on earth—nor can there ever be any operational scientific study of the first life on the earth given present technology.
See, this is what i'm talking about. First off, unfortunately for you, I do know about the above-mattered celestial bodies and their associated (and non-associated) measurable effects. Granted, not everything, but a helluva lot more than you. So when you try and pose these "boomsticks" to impress the other ignorant folks, you don't impress me because I know you're grasping for justification on an otherwise non-evidential stance.

Huh? Grasping for justification? Observable facts....scientific FACTS...that are inconsistent with the idea of the Big Bang. It is what it is Holmes. Whether the facts are consistent or inconsistent with the BB has nothing to do with me or you or Freudian psychology. Your calling something a "boomstick" won't make the facts change or go away. Can you deal with them, or not?

Let's cut to the chase --- the Big Bang theory is the predominant theory, but it is not the only theory. Nonetheless, it is a theory, like all scientific theories, based on analysis of existing data and evidence. It is, by reasonable interpretation, a "good guess." It is not, however, an assumption. It is not, as well, a belief. It is argued and questioned, updated and reviewed by those within the scientific community, always working, through analysis, examination of evidence, and interpretation of data, to find a series of sub-theories that best fits the available evidence.

You maintain the data in support of this theory is "astronomical". I guess that means it's pretty close to fact then, in your mind. So now, all of a sudden, you do recognize that there are other theories, but they are sub-par to the "predominant" big bang theory. And yet, there is mounting evidence to the contrary. Your religious fervor knows no bounds.

This mistake you, and so many other ignorant folk make (I'm assuming ignorance, because otherwise it's merely dishonesty), is that you think because scientists debate on theories that somehow their BELIEF system is flawed. The mistake here is thinking in your limited terms, as theories are not even remotely beliefs.

And just to reiterate: If you argue that it is not ignorance, then I will have to surmise you are intentionally trying to mislead people into thinking that creationism is a theory. That, dear sir, is opportunistic redress and specifically geared to take advantage of the notion that, "OMG, scientists are unsure, so creationism could be just a good a guess as anything else they throw out," which is just crap, as is creationism. In fact, let's call it what it is, HOGWASH.

I've already explained my position on this. You are not really responding to what I, Seamus, have written, as you are to what the anti-creationist sites are telling you I am saying, which of course, they have no idea of. I have no issue with scientists being unsure, or debating different theories. What I do have issue with is hypocrisy. Hypocrisy which slams a belief or religious viewpoint as having no evidence, while making up a bunch of crap to fill in holes because the alternative view point "could not possibly be true". Look up Dark Matter, wiki it if you will. It's existence is INFERRED. An Oort cloud has "NO CONFIRMED DIRECT OBSERVATIONS" (Wiki). In other words, it's unscientific conjecture. So scientists make this mularkey up, because THEY MUST FILL IN THE HOLES TO EXPLAIN WHY THE OBSERVABLE FACTS DON'T FIT IN TO THEIR BELIEFS! It is far better to say "we don't know, science can't tell us right now" than to make up this HOGWASH, to use your term.
Creationism has no foundation whatsoever. It has no evidence, no supporting data, and is a conclusion posed before examining any evidence. It is a process of reverse determinacy, whereby you grab your belief and then attempt to grab whatever you think might fit into the framework of your belief (or at least might confuse naysayers enough so they don't question your line of crap). Truthfully, I'm disgusted that you attempt to grab scientific discoveries and follow along blindly misquoting (and quoting out of context) physicists and philosophers in an attempt to discredit the very fields of study they spent their entire lives researching.

I've checked, nothing is out of context. I like the "I'm disgusted" line, that really elevated you high above me and my scoundrel tactics. Note to self: When unable to respond with facts, just discredit your opponent. Works well in politics, too.
Seriously, what do you have? A high school education? The persons studying this material, and the relevant data, have been doing so for 40+ years, and learned from the shoulders of giants, who themselves learned from giants, and so on. The wealth of information and knowledge in the sciences are not some cheap dime-store novels you can pick up and understand overnight, but you try and argue this very notion with your ridiculous presentation.

And your ridiculous attempt to avoid dealing with the issues by once again shouting as loud as you can "YOU ARE STUPID AND I'M SMARTER THAN YOU" only exposes your inability to man up and square off on the facts. You can't do it. Do you know how many times you yell "Ignorance!", "No education!"? We've established your feelings on this, why don't you move on? Here's a simple, scientific, observation. Physical laws indicate that equal amounts of matter and antimatter would have been created in the supposed "Big Bang". Therefore, missing antimatter in the universe challenges the BB theory. Respond to that, please.
As to Dawkins, you really need to stop taking his comments out of context. You and others repeatedly try and present him as some sort of believer, when in fact he's merely being British in his presentation of argument. Stated, his stance on these issues is firm, in that he contends Creationism is unsubstantiated tripe and anyone trying to argue otherwise is being dishonest. Finally, your claim of my intolerance denotes a complete ignorance about who I am and what is my background.

I didn't even quote Dawkins here, what in tarnation are you talking about? I've never presented him "as some sort of believer", are you mixing up your forums? I've pointed out that he has admitted to the problem of initial cause, which you refuse to do. He has said he allows for the possibility of some kind of alien designer. He's honestly looking (at some) of the facts. Thus, he is more intellectually honest than you. New ideas must be advanced and evaluated on the evidence, and not thrown out because they challenge the established science.

I don't claim you are intolerant, your intolerance is self-evident. There is a lot of intolerance in modern cosmology, you are not alone, and I'm not surprised. Galileo experienced this, and things have not changed.

The truth is that we don't understand star formation at a fundamental level.’ -Abraham Loeb of Harvard’s Center for Astrophysics

That's a nice way of saying: "We don't know anything. Ahh, some scientific honesty, how refreshing.

DeletedUser

I thought I made it abundantly clear, but I guess I need to be a bit more blunt. Seamus, you have no idea what you're talking about. You're as ignorant as all get out when it comes to cosmology, with no demonstrated education on this issue whatsoever and are running to Creationist sites to grab 18 year old quotes pulled out of context and without a comprehension as to what is being scoped in their statements. Again, as blunt as a hatter on this, you are demonstrating yourself to be ignorant or willfully deceptive, which is really annoying, but I'll try to ignore that and simply address the points that matter. And do understand, this is not character assassination, this is blunt honesty. You don't know what you're talking about.

What you are wanting is for me to educate you, in a matter of a few posts, on something that takes years to study and learn. That's blatant arrogance and a dismissal of the volume of information and knowledge required to have a reasonable basis for understanding what is later presented in such theories as the Big Bang. Worse, you are doing it in a challenging tone and standing on a platform of gross ignorance. You want to learn this stuff, there's the university. Put the time and energy to get your education instead of posturing and thinking yourself all bright on this issue. Yeah, that's me being as blunt as is required under the circumstances because your ignorant arrogance annoys me:

• Translating, "we don't know everything" into, "we don't know anything" is a major stretch and is exactly the argument you are posing here. It's, in fact, a lie. The last sentences in your post demonstrates this lie, and frankly I can't respect that.
  • The Big Bang theory is not a singular, rigid theory, which you don't seem to understand. Just like every scientific theory, it undergoes changes as more evidence becomes available. If there is a facet of discontinuity, it is examined and re-examined to determine just what is needed to make sense of the data. That's scientific research and analysis.
  • The Big Bang theory is STILL the predominant theory, posed alongside other theories (expanding universe, etc), which have evolved as more data has become available. You can try and point out a few persons who state there is growing evidence in contra to it, but you are failing to read what is stated IN CONTEXT, which is they are referring to a "standing" position. It is, in this manner, that scientists repeatedly challenge existing theories, and thus make adjustments or changes to said theories. It is opportunistic of you to try and claim they are saying the theory as a whole is falling out of favor. In truth it is the standing theory (in 1992 and 1993, respectively) that underwent (and continues to undergo) a reexamination to fit within the framework of new evidence.
  • How can you possibly grab (out of context) quotes from 1992/1993 (18 years ago!!) and then state the Big Bang theory is falling out favor, when all legitimate sources indicate it is clearly the present dominant physical cosmological paradigm? The answer is, you can't do it honestly, which is why I'm calling your actions and posts here deceptive.
Still, let's give it a shot and start by explaining what the Big Bang theory is, because it's obvious you don't know crap about it. The BB theory does not encapsulate a single event, but a development of the universe over a period of time. It is, in effect, describing not merely some of the cosmological past, but the present and also the cosmological future.

"That the universe is expanding and cooling is the essence of the big bang theory. You will notice I have said nothing about an 'explosion' - the big bang theory describes how our universe is evolving, not how it began." ~ P. J. E. Peebles (p. 44).

There are various models presented, none of which dismiss the Big Bang theory, merely pose alternatives to specific points within the framework of the BB. For example, the ekpyrotic model of the universe states that the initial developmental stages were the result of a collision of 3 worlds (branes) within a space containing four dimensions, which is an interesting notion (essentially postulating the known universe started mostly empty, as opposed to teeming with matter/energy), but requiring far more research and scientific scrutiny to be taken as anything other than a mere model. Nonetheless, it demonstrates that, contrary to your ridiculous allegations, the scientific community (and me in particular) are not becoming entrenched into a belief system, but instead are researching every possible variance, posing it in conflict and in concert with existing theories, which is then scrutinized by the scientific community for relevance or flaws (peer review).

Now, part of any reasonable scientific theory is a presentation of predictions. Not predictions in the "future" sense, but predictions of what sort of evidence we would obtain through research. This serves as a means of affirmation (or refutation, if said predictions do not pan). An example of a prediction in the hot big bang model is that of historically hotter cosmic microwave background radiation. I.e., things were hotter in the past. In 2000 (8 years after your quotes out of context), this prediction was confirmed (click here), thereby giving the hot Big Bang model additional relevance. To quote, "it is shown for the first time that the cosmic radiation was warmer in the past."

Now, I'm going to touch on intuition and counter-intuitive aspects required for understanding quantum mechanics and general relativism. The knee jerk response to things is to take them as you intuitively understand them. But this would be a mistake, and is indeed one of the mistakes you're repeatedly presenting.

"Who has not looked up at the stars and marveled at how the universe works? In the world of physics, so often strewn with abstract equations, much effort goes into relating those abstract equations to the world we see. This quest is impeded by two major stumbling blocks. One is simply the imprecision of language. Words are rarely as precise as the equations they're explaining, so sometimes debate arises over apparent contradictions in the literature which are actually no more than sloppy wording. The more significant stumbling block is the difficulty in explaining the unintuitive concepts of quantum physics and relativity in terms of everyday analogues. Some concepts in modern physics simply don't have a direct correspondence to our everyday experience. Thus the imprecision of language compounds the impossibility of describing things we don't naturally have words for."
~ Tamara Davis, astrophysicist

For example, one of the earlier misnomers presented here is that nothing can be created out of nothing, but this is simply --- wrong. It has been 'observed' that something can, and does indeed, come out of nothing. For greater insight into this, I suggest you research quantum foam, but I also recommend you take a long time to really understand what it is you are trying to read, because it takes years of dedicated study just to understand the basics, and the hard part is, you have preconceptions that will interfere with your comprehension, especially when attempting to understand counter-intuitive elements.

"In modern physics, there is no such thing as "nothing." Even in a perfect vacuum, pairs of virtual particles are constantly being created and destroyed. The existence of these particles is no mathematical fiction."
~ Morris, 1990

For additional information on the supporting evidence for the Big Bang, I recommend UCLA's astrophysics department FAQ -- (click here)

Regarding misconceptions on the expanding universe, I recommend you read this (click here).

For insight into 'some' of the data supporting Big Bang, click here.

Finally, your repeated efforts to try to poke holes in scientific research, by pointing out what they "don't yet know" merely hurts your argument, because you are intentionally avoiding discussing what they "do now know" and, in so doing, you demonstrate your not-so-hidden agenda, which is the continued conflagration of all things contra to your belief. And after writing all of this, I am reminded:

"It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument."
~ William G. McAdoo

DeletedUser

At first I wanted to quote your post Hellstromm, but since it takes so much screen space for others I won't, and I'll just say it like this:

Go write books instead of forum posts and make a living of it, because you're pretty good at it! :laugh:

What did you study by the way? :p

DeletedUser

If the truth is what we get from children and drunks, why are they so damn hard to understand?
:blink:

DeletedUser

I thought I made it abundantly clear, but I guess I need to be a bit more blunt. Seamus, you have no idea what you're talking about. You're as ignorant as all get out when it comes to cosmology, with no demonstrated education on this issue whatsoever and are running to Creationist sites to grab 18 year old quotes pulled out of context and without a comprehension as to what is being scoped in their statements. Again, as blunt as a hatter on this, you are demonstrating yourself to be ignorant or willfully deceptive, which is really annoying, but I'll try to ignore that and simply address the points that matter. And do understand, this is not character assassination, this is blunt honesty. You don't know what you're talking about.

Perhaps if you keep repeating the above mantra, I might some day get it. Your self-perceived superiority and insistence on positioning yourself is revealing, and not in a flattering way. If you can't discuss the ideas and principles I've brought up, it's no reflection on me. You are neither a bio nor an astro professional, and you know it. Some degree of humility on your part here and there would befit you greatly. If you tried, you could learn to calmly refute an idea you disagree with , by using knowledge, grace, and tact. There is really no need to do what you continually do over and over again, which is to belittle people of faith by employing the same methods and being guilty of the same things you accuse others of. Look at your words: "disgusted", "no education", "willfully deceptive", "ignorant arrogance", "hogwash", "crap", etc. etc. Why do you bother? Clearly, there is a personal reason. I am sorry for that, for you. I bet I could write the beginning of your next response for you. I'm sure it will start a lot like this one did.
What you are wanting is for me to educate you, in a matter of a few posts, on something that takes years to study and learn.

Oh please. You are so full or yourself, are you not? No one asked for any such thing. In my last post, I stated a simple premise and asked you to respond to it. You didn't. Instead, you are saying (I surmise) that in order to respond properly it would take years and years of study, all of which is far over my head, etc. ad nauseum. Nice way out.

[*] How can you possibly grab (out of context) quotes from 1992/1993 (18 years ago!!) and then state the Big Bang theory is falling out favor, when all legitimate sources indicate it is clearly the present dominant physical cosmological paradigm? The answer is, you can't do it honestly, which is why I'm calling your actions and posts here deceptive.

Wrong. "All legitimate sources?" Is 2004 too old for you? Maybe these guys are all idiots too.....You are certainly at complete odds with them. Fact is, the community is full of alternative theories to the BB. Note I said alternative, not complementary.

An Open Letter to the Scientific Community (Emphasis mine)

Cosmology Statement.org (Published in New Scientist, May 22-28 issue, 2004, p. 20)

The big bang today relies on a growing number of hypothetical entities, things that we have never observed-- inflation, dark matter and dark energy are the most prominent examples. Without them, there would be a fatal contradiction between the observations made by astronomers and the predictions of the big bang theory.

In no other field of physics would this continual recourse to new hypothetical objects be accepted as a way of bridging the gap between theory and observation. It would, at the least, RAISE SERIOUS QUESTIONS ABOUT THE VALIDITY OF THE UNDERLYING THEORY.

But the big bang theory can't survive without these fudge factors. Without the hypothetical inflation field, the big bang does not predict the smooth, isotropic cosmic background radiation that is observed, because there would be no way for parts of the universe that are now more than a few degrees away in the sky to come to the same temperature and thus emit the same amount of microwave radiation.

Without some kind of dark matter, unlike any that we have observed on Earth despite 20 years of experiments, big-bang theory makes contradictory predictions for the density of matter in the universe. Inflation requires a density 20 times larger than that implied by big bang nucleosynthesis, the theory's explanation of the origin of the light elements. And without dark energy, the theory predicts that the universe is only about 8 billion years old, which is billions of years younger than the age of many stars in our galaxy.

What is more, the big bang theory can boast of no quantitative predictions that have subsequently been validated by observation. The successes claimed by the theory's supporters consist of its ability to retrospectively fit observations with a steadily increasing array of adjustable parameters, just as the old Earth-centred cosmology of Ptolemy needed layer upon layer of epicycles.

Yet the big bang is not the only framework available for understanding the history of the universe. Plasma cosmology and the steady-state model both hypothesise an evolving universe without beginning or end. These and other alternative approaches can also explain the basic phenomena of the cosmos, including the abundances of light elements, the generation of large-scale structure, the cosmic background radiation, and how the redshift of far-away galaxies increases with distance. They have even predicted new phenomena that were subsequently observed, something the big bang has failed to do.

Supporters of the big bang theory may retort that these theories do not explain every cosmological observation. But that is scarcely surprising, as their development has been severely hampered by a complete lack of funding. Indeed, such questions and alternatives cannot even now be freely discussed and examined. An open exchange of ideas is lacking in most mainstream conferences.

Whereas Richard Feynman could say that "science is the culture of doubt," in cosmology today doubt and dissent are not tolerated, and young scientists learn to remain silent if they have something negative to say about the standard big bang model. Those who doubt the big bang fear that saying so will cost them their funding.

Even observations are now interpreted through this biased filter, judged right or wrong depending on whether or not they support the big bang. So discordant data on red shifts, lithium and helium abundances, and galaxy distribution, among other topics, are ignored or ridiculed. This reflects a growing dogmatic mindset that is alien to the spirit of free scientific enquiry.

Today, virtually all financial and experimental resources in cosmology are devoted to big bang studies. Funding comes from only a few sources, and all the peer-review committees that control them are dominated by supporters of the big bang. As a result, the dominance of the big bang within the field has become self-sustaining, irrespective of the scientific validity of the theory.

Giving support only to projects within the big bang framework undermines a fundamental element of the scientific method -- the constant testing of theory against observation. Such a restriction makes unbiased discussion and research impossible. To redress this, we urge those agencies that fund work in cosmology to set aside a significant fraction of their funding for investigations into alternative theories and observational contradictions of the big bang. To avoid bias, the peer review committee that allocates such funds could be composed of astronomers and physicists from outside the field of cosmology.

Allocating funding to investigations into the big bang's validity, and its alternatives, would allow the scientific process to determine our most accurate model of the history of the universe.

Signed:

Eric J. Lerner, Lawrenceville Plasma Physics (USA)
Michael Ibison, Institute for Advanced Studies at Austin (USA) /
Earthtech.org
John L. West, Jet Propulsion Laboratory, California Institute of
Technology (USA)
James F. Woodward, California State University, Fullerton (USA)
Halton Arp, Max-Planck-Institute Fur Astrophysik (Germany)
Andre Koch Torres Assis, State University of Campinas (Brazil)
Yuri Baryshev, Astronomical Institute, St. Petersburg State University
(Russia)
Ari Brynjolfsson, Applied Radiation Industries (USA)
Hermann Bondi, Churchill College, University of Cambridge (UK)
Timothy Eastman, Plasmas International (USA)
Chuck Gallo, Superconix, Inc.(USA)
Thomas Gold, Cornell University (emeritus) (USA)
Amitabha Ghosh, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (India)
Walter J. Heikkila, University of Texas at Dallas (USA)
Thomas Jarboe, University of Washington (USA)
Jerry W. Jensen, ATK Propulsion (USA)
Menas Kafatos, George Mason University (USA)
Paul Marmet, Herzberg Institute of Astrophysics (retired) (Canada)
Paola Marziani, Istituto Nazionale di Astrofisica, Osservatorio
Astronomico di Padova (Italy)
Gregory Meholic, The Aerospace Corporation (USA)
Jacques Moret-Bailly, Université Dijon (retired) (France)
Jayant Narlikar, IUCAA(emeritus) and College de France (India, France)
Marcos Cesar Danhoni Neves, State University of Maringá (Brazil)
Charles D. Orth, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (USA)
R. David Pace, Lyon College (USA)
Georges Paturel, Observatoire de Lyon (France)
Jean-Claude Pecker, College de France (France)
Anthony L. Peratt, Los Alamos National Laboratory (USA)
Bill Peter, BAE Systems Advanced Technologies (USA)
David Roscoe, Sheffield University (UK)
Malabika Roy, George Mason University (USA)
Sisir Roy, George Mason University (USA)
Konrad Rudnicki, Jagiellonian University (Poland)
Domingos S.L. Soares, Federal University of Minas Gerais (Brazil)

There are various models presented, none of which dismiss the Big Bang theory, merely pose alternatives to specific points within the framework of the BB.

Wrong. There are different frameworks.

...it demonstrates that, contrary to your ridiculous allegations, the scientific community (and me in particular) are not becoming entrenched into a belief system, but instead are researching every possible variance, posing it in conflict and in concert with existing theories, which is then scrutinized by the scientific community for relevance or flaws (peer review).

If only this were true. It is not. Do your homework, and read the above. There is incredible intolerance and bias within the astro community, I have much on it. Oh, and did I just hear you say you are part of the scientific community?

For example, one of the earlier misnomers presented here is that nothing can be created out of nothing, but this is simply --- wrong. It has been 'observed' that something can, and does indeed, come out of nothing.

I am familiar with what you are saying here. The issue is the definition of "nothing". If "nothing" can include "modern physics" and "virtual particles", then I won't argue your point. From a philosophical standpoint, it does not.

I hope that you start looking at some of these other frameworks, and that you can somehow begin to allow the evidence to speak for itself, even if that means abandoning your white knuckle grip on your sacred BB.

-Seamus

DeletedUser

Let's go backwards here:
The issue is the definition of "nothing". If "nothing" can include "modern physics" and "virtual particles", then I won't argue your point. From a philosophical standpoint, it does not.
Philosophy, without inclusion of math/physics, is mental masturbation and serves no function. Philosophy of ages past dealt with what was known, and postulated on what was not known. Philosophy of today must therefore take the same base. This means you need to know what is known before you can postulate on what is not known. Unfortunately, you're too busy mentally masturbating to get an actual education.

Moving to the next issue: New Scientist.

The magazine where that article was posted is not a peer-reviewed journal and has since lost much credibility and respect with the scientific community, primarily because it is geared towards sensationalism, not factual presentation of scientific discovery (click here for just one example). If you're going to post anything from New Scientist, I am going to take it with a heavy grain of salt, and so should anyone else.

Next, the petition.

The so-called article you presented is, in fact, not an article at all, but a petition posed by alternative scientists, many of which do not have all that good a reputation. For example, Eric Lerner (the first name on that list and likely author, even though the domain name is owned and hosted by conspiracy theorist whackjob and contributor to snetnews, Victor Gluckstein) wrote a book in 1991, and made a spectacle of himself disputing the BB theory whilst hailing plasma cosmology, based largely on initial data obtained from the COBE satellite that posed obstacles for the BB theory. He, along with others on or around 1991-1993, argued fervently against the BB theory, due to the early data from the COBE satellite.

However their excitement was premature (and this is really important for you to understand Saemus), as additional data obtained from the COBE satellite ultimately resulted in substantial evidence supporting the BB theory, particularly that cosmic microwave background radiation was a full black body spectrum with tell tale anisotropies. Additional satellites, particularly the WMAP satellite, provided even more evidence in support of the BB theory.

But, more important, these satellites, and the data obtained from them, refuted plasma cosmology and discredited Lerner's postulations. You see, the satellites were designed to obtain data, not to PROVE OR DISPROVE the BB theory. It was the data that resulted in their not obtaining grants, because it was determined they were chasing wrongheaded models not supported by the prevailing evidence. And to continue in this understanding, the above petition is misleading. COBE, WMAP, Hubble, and other satellites were designed to collect data from all available measures and spectrums, not to pick and choose what data was to be collected. It is the examination of this data that resulted in continued support for the BB theory, and it is this data that served as the basis for further research grants, not some alleged conspiracy.

It's as simple as that Saemus. Discredited, shamed, invested in a wrong notion and not willing to accept that they were wrong, so-called independent researchers wrote a nasty letter trying to counter-discredit mainstream scientific discovery by claiming a conspiracy. Problem here is, plasma cosmology postulations virtually died when the COBE data was released, and no plasma cosmology proposals have been published since (16+ years) and the steady-state theory was refuted decades before (as far back as 1965, when CMB was discovered), so this petition is disingenuous.

Look, it's obvious you don't understand something here, so let me point it out. In every field, in every occupation, there are those who don't do a good job, who become rigid and invested in an idea and ultimately fail because of their character flaws. Lerner is one of them, and there are others in the scientific community. Just as there are good doctors and mediocre doctors, there are good scientists and mediocre scientists. The hard part, for you and other lay persons, is being able to differentiate.

So, here's my recommendation. Stop reading New Scientist, stop grabbing quotes off of creationist websites, and start reading "Peer-Reviewed" scientific journals. You will otherwise continue to be misinformed, which means more work for me.

DeletedUser

27th OF MAY, 2010

Gospel for today:
Mark 10:46-52 The Blind Bartimaeus

Food for thought:
A test of true Christian love: do you help those who can’t help you in return?
:indian:

DeletedUser

I just want to say that your food for thought isn't exactly accurate. Helping those who can't help you in return isn't done only by Christians. I know that for a fact since I've been helped in the past by people of different religions (and possibly some with no religion, I never ask) under circumstances where they know I'll never be able to return the favor.

DeletedUser

Just as someone who visits this thread to read inspirational quotes, is there anyway we could moderate this thread to move all discussions out to a separate thread? I know we done it before, but we've gone back off topic a bit.

If the mods don't agree, that's fine, just consider it a request. Whether I agree with the inspirational quotes or not, I prefer to be able to just go post-to-post reading them instead of scrolling through walls of text (not meant as an insult to anyone).

Perhaps the creation of a thread JUST for responses and discussion of daily insights would be good?

DeletedUser

I don't disagree with that notion shaggs, except that it's been happening since page five, so it would require the bulk of the thread to be moved. My reason for participating in the manner I have is that it is a reaction to the full-scale Christian propaganda being posted here. Stop that, and we can go back to "Daily Insights," or whatever you want to call our little quoting frenzy.

DeletedUser

I don't disagree with that notion shaggs, except that it's been happening since page five, so it would require the bulk of the thread to be moved. My reason for participating in the manner I have is that it is a reaction to the full-scale Christian propaganda being posted here. Stop that, and we can go back to "Daily Insights," or whatever you want to call our little quoting frenzy.

Would it help if I started placing Ba'h'ai, hindu, or buddhist quotes? No offense, but looking at it from a neutral perspective (which is the perspective I attempt to maintain), I see just as much merit in Christian quotes as I do in quotes from anywhere else.

I'm serious about posting quotes from other religions, unless you'd like to make a statement that no quotes are allowed to be given from religious perspectives. Is it freedom of speech or is it not?

DeletedUser

Ah, but it's not just quotes going on shaggs. Travel back to page five and you'll see, it's full-on complimentary discussions about Christianity, resulting in a propagandist bent. I'm just not even remotely comfortable with the youth in this community being blindly swayed, and thus I (and others) responsibly provide juxtaposition.

DeletedUser

Ah, but it's not just quotes going on shaggs. Travel back to page five and you'll see, it's full-on complimentary discussions about Christianity, resulting in a propagandist bent. I'm just not even remotely comfortable with the youth in this community being blindly swayed, and thus I (and others) responsibly provide juxtaposition.

As I said, move ALL discussion out of the thread. Restart this thread again, and make it clear. If the answer is "no, I like this thread how it is," that's fine. If that's the case, though, it should be at least moved to debate and discussion.

DeletedUser

It's Betsy's call, so you should probably take this off-topic discussion to her via PMs.

DeletedUser

I think we should get back on topic. To help out, a nice quote I heard the other day. And I think it relates to this forum very well.

“Today, the theory of evolution is an accepted fact for everyone but a fundamentalist minority, whose objections are based not on reasoning but on doctrinaire adherence to religious principles” - James D. Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.