Crafting

DeletedUser

Eat, queue, finish, repeat. I'd just respec 15 points, or less if it's a double, especially if you need a product and not just x hours.

Bad Billy Jack

I'm a Field Cook & have crafted Corn Flour. It is not auctionable. Is this a bug?

I also haven't found a use for it. Weird.

DeletedUser

Only crafted products which are used in recipes in different professions are auction-able. Maybe they will add more recipes where it will be used. (as they've mentioned on devblog)

DeletedUser

i create a pan,melt iron,create a knife,sharpen a blade,i did everything, and what now? how to get more new instructions?

DeletedUser

I bought a recipe at the market..but guess i cant use it till im at a certain level of craftsmanship. I hope that recipes man be found in game also. anyone know?

DeletedUser

the wandering merchant sells them and i think you can get them as drops from some jobs.

zitok, you keep doing more and eventually your crafting level rises and you can use new recipes which you get as explained in my first sentence.

DeletedUser

I think the highest skill recipe you can buy from your trader is 350, maybe 400. Higher can only be found on jobs (or on the market). I think plenty will have been found before anyone can do them.

DeletedUser

My question is what is the point of some of these products? For example petroleum. I"m over 100 pts in tonic peddler now and I'm looking at the new products I can make and none of them have any use nor are they required for other crafting professions. This is at least according to the known recipes I've seen on fan sites.

Petroleum, Sulfuric Acid (used to make ink), Ink

None is consumable and none is required for any other recipes... Seems a bit odd to have products at such a low level that have no purpose. I can't sell them because who the heck wants products that have no use?

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps there are some new hidden quests that you can get by equipping these items and talking to one of the quest givers in the saloon. I haven't tried this yet but that's all I could come up with.

DeletedUser22685

My question is what is the point of some of these products? For example petroleum. I"m over 100 pts in tonic peddler now and I'm looking at the new products I can make and none of them have any use nor are they required for other crafting professions. This is at least according to the known recipes I've seen on fan sites.

Petroleum, Sulfuric Acid (used to make ink), Ink

None is consumable and none is required for any other recipes... Seems a bit odd to have products at such a low level that have no purpose. I can't sell them because who the heck wants products that have no use?

The only thing I can think of is that perhaps there are some new hidden quests that you can get by equipping these items and talking to one of the quest givers in the saloon. I haven't tried this yet but that's all I could come up with.
They're just so you have something to craft that will actually give you profession points.

DeletedUser

They're just so you have something to craft that will actually give you profession points.

Seriously? that is....just so completely ed. Are the guys designing this crap really that bad at their jobs? I mean let's look at this. To get from 100 to 150 pts in tonic peddler you need to make some combination of 50 petroleum, sulfuric acid and ink. To be able to do the jobs that give you the needed ingredients you need to buy expensive equipment. Then you need to waste about 8 hours or more actually doing the jobs just to get enough material for a single product which gives you a single craft point. I can't actually sell any of these products because no one wants them so all I get is a few dollars from the merchant. Who in their right mind is going to bother with this bs?! Talk about epic fail guys. I hope you're reading this because someone needs to give you guys a slap in the face for this crap. I just wasted the last week pushing my crafting skill up to arrive at this? That's my reward? Now I know why I'm the only one on my world (world 6) actually selling craft products from a tonic peddler. Apparently I was very misguided in assuming that you guys had enough brains to introduce new features that actually make sense.

DeletedUser

First option - becoming a master crafter who'll help everyone with useable items:
1. Join a town
2. Make sure it's a town that "pushes" a few crafters with products

Second option - money earner:
1. Do not join any town
2. Sell products on markets, for starters sell wood, glass of water and coal, every craft profession needs those

Third option - "cheater":
1. Do the first option
2. When you reach skill of 450 leave the town and start earning some serious cash with high skill useable items, remain townless because you don't want to be dueled by the town you've "cheated" and silly devs did not allow dueling townless players

While you think crafting is an epic fail, I believe it's a great addition to the game.
There are some epic fails in the game, but crafting is not one of them. I've mentioned one - and that's dueling protection on townless players.

DeletedUser

First option - becoming a master crafter who'll help everyone with useable items:
1. Join a town
2. Make sure it's a town that "pushes" a few crafters with products

Second option - money earner:
1. Do not join any town
2. Sell products on markets, for starters sell wood, glass of water and coal, every craft profession needs those

Third option - "cheater":
1. Do the first option
2. When you reach skill of 450 leave the town and start earning some serious cash with high skill useable items, remain townless because you don't want to be dueled by the town you've "cheated" and silly devs did not allow dueling townless players

While you think crafting is an epic fail, I believe it's a great addition to the game.
There are some epic fails in the game, but crafting is not one of them. I've mentioned one - and that's dueling protection on townless players.

Crafting is a good idea. I like it. It may not be particularly original but it is a good fit for a game like this. I have no problem with the fact that you have to put in time and effort and get the support of your town members to get to a high craft level. That is my situation so I have no complaints about that.

What I do have a problem with is the fact that at level 100 you get 3 new recipes, all for products with descriptions that make them sound like they have some useful purpose in the game, and all of which basically do nothing. Perhaps I'm being overly optimistic here but I assume the developers must have some purpose in mind for these products. Seems like an awful waste of effort to introduce these things into the game and not have them do anything. My guess is that there are hidden purposes for these products, either because no one has discovered them yet or because those features haven't been introduced to the game yet. Otherwise it is a failure in game design. Don't bother including them if they don't contribute anything to game play. Pretty abc. And put in at least one product at level 100 that can be sold on the market so you're getting something back for all those hours of crafting.

DeletedUser

Talk about a sore loser.No one forced you to do crafting or become a tonic peddler.If you are playing this game for a while you would know that takes time to perfect a new update and I am sure devs are working on it.

DeletedUser

Right now all crafting professions have a dead zone between 100-250 where they produce no useable products. Eventually the devs will put in a use for them so I wouldn't worry to much.

I'd say cook and saddlemaster have larger issues as both these professions only level 300 recipe requires a knife and most of the knives made by blacksmiths will get converted to bayonets.

Having your entire profession bottlenecked by another is bad design.

Far worse than the worst about blacksmithing which is "Can I really bring myself to do ~700 hrs of granite mining?"

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

yeah it is a good idea not nearly realised enough yet. i looked on a website at what all the products do and are for and there are currently too many that do nowt. I heard somewhere that the next upgrade will expand on it so for now i'm just messing around and reducing my motivation to mine granite to 0 (both ingame and offline :), but for now i understand the frustration above as it does seem half baked.

Sure it'll improve though.

DeletedUser

I think it might have been better before they changed it. At first all of the 0 skill recipes were only good as a product in higher recipes, so I think it helped you get used to the idea of crafting just to raise your skill. When they changed one 50 skill recipe to 0 that made a usable item it got people used to crafting more or less useful items.

DeletedUser

I think it might have been better before they changed it. At first all of the 0 skill recipes were only good as a product in higher recipes, so I think it helped you get used to the idea of crafting just to raise your skill. When they changed one 50 skill recipe to 0 that made a usable item it got people used to crafting more or less useful items.

I don't think it's a bad idea to make it so that at every step of the way you have a product you can craft and sell. Honestly, right now, I mostly just make cigarettes, even though I no longer get a crafting point for it because no one else is making them and I'm making a killing off them. There's just way too little incentive to bother with crafting the products that will actually raise my crafting skill because it takes a day of doing jobs just to get enough ingredients to gain a single point and I earn very little money or xp from it. In 50 days I can get to 150 skill points where again there are no useful products. The alliance I'm in is rank 1 or 2 on world 6 (depending on the day) and atm our players are so busy with fort fighting and getting materials for forts that I don't see how I'm going to motivate anyone to bother harvesting for me when there's not going to be any benefit to the alliance for a very long time.

Also, I think it totally makes sense to have a chain of products that act as ingredients for higher level recipes and for recipes used by other professions but what is the point of this:

Extract Sulfur -> Sulfuric Acid -> Ink Neither the Ink, the Sulfuric Acid nor the Sulfur have any use for further recipes or as consumable products. So what's the point? Ink is a level 100 recipe but requires indigo from Picking Indigo which requires over 600 labor points to do! Assuming people are raising their craft skill as they level up who the heck is ever going to be able to pick indigo by the time they hit 100 points in Tonic Peddling? Certainly no one is going to bother picking it and selling it to me when there's no use for the product.

DeletedUser

Honestly, right now, I mostly just make cigarettes, even though I no longer get a crafting point for it because no one else is making them and I'm making a killing off them.

And if you keep raising the price $50 every batch I might stop buying them all. :p

DeletedUser

And if you keep raising the price $50 every batch I might stop buying them all. :p

lol, omg! It's you! I was wondering who it was. hehe, just seeing what the market will bear. I actually raised it another $100 on the most recent batch. I wasn't sure if it was a bunch of different players or just one. So just out of curiosity do you use them mostly for the duelling motivation or for work or a combination?