Cooking Discussion Part I-What's your cooking specialty?

Red Falcon

Well, seeing as how I love to cook, I think I will open up a couple of new threads. This first one will ask everyone here what type or types of food they cook more than any other kind of food. This is your cooking specialty. You can use just about any kind of food you want and try not to get too hungry, okay? I will start. My cooking specialty is meat and pasta (From the 'famous' Food Guide Pyramid).

Red Falcon

I would also like to ask everyone whether they prefer cooking on camera or off camera in this thread.

DeletedUser

you don't cook twinkies you unwrap them

:laugh: Yeah you're right.

Just that pop tarts reminded me of twinkies simply because I prefer them.

Ever had warmed twinkies with its cream oozing paired with choc ice cream?

^^

DeletedUser

no, but I don't really like twinkies in the first place.
I'm good at making.... Perogies, mmm delicious.

DeletedUser

Twinkies... wth. Those are just plain nasty.

Yesterday I made delicious fajitas.
Today I'll wok seomthing.

Meh. Hungry.

DeletedUser

I make a nice omelette :eek:

Also like cooking curry, Italian, Mediterranean style foods and some others like chow mein.

I try to cook for myself as much as I can, I will have to get the practise in for uni this September.

Attached is my favourite Mediterranean rice. Anyone want a recipe, holler me.

Attachments

• DSC00079.jpg
    DSC00079.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 6
Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

you don't cook twinkies you unwrap them

you do if ya deepfry them. gotta love carnival food .

on a serious note i cook alot of pork but my favorate thing as far as cooking is making sauces. thats where the real creativity is

DeletedUser

Tonight I'm making chicken and mushroom pasta bake inspired by good old Jamie Oliver :D I recommend his book, the ministry of food. some great recipes for people who like to eat good but aren't the greatest of cooks

DeletedUser

Tonight I'm making chicken and mushroom pasta bake inspired by good old Jamie Oliver :D I recommend his book, the ministry of food. some great recipes for people who like to eat good but aren't the greatest of cooks

Yeah I got that Ministry of Food one too. Mum got it under the pretenses this book can teach anyone to cook in 24 hours.

DeletedUser5046

i dun cook a lot...(cooking hates me) but if ever i will, i wanna try to cook or should i say bake..

but i can make hard boiled eggs..and uhm..omellete...and fried fish^^

all off cam

DeletedUser

angel trust me you do NOT want to start with baking . you need to weigh and measure everything almost to exacts .cookies give you the most leway of all baking products so perhaps that would be best place to start with it. Ive got a Culinary arts degree i should know.

DeletedUser

Well, I have no culinary arts degree and I tend to be an instinctual cook rather than "follow exact instructions"* but as Lorgos said... With baking, sometimes if you do get it wrong, it turns out really wrong. (Then again, some recipes are better for a few changes. And I like making changes!)

Occasionally with things I haven't done before, the first batch is bad. Choux pastry was one of those. But then I just "understood" it, and now it is the simplest thing to make some eclairs.

So I say start with whatever you want, Ang, but don't be disheartened if it isn't perfect the first time. And baking is fun. I actually don't like to eat it that much... but I love feeding it to people.

*John, this fact, and because all my cookbooks and cooking notebooks are packed in boxes atm, is why I haven't sent you any recipes yet.

Last edited by a moderator: