Cookies

• Thread starter DeletedUser1121
  • Start date

DeletedUser1121

When you think you have seen it all, they always seem to surprise you...
The Dutch government did it again, they created the most useless and impossible law in the history of the internet.

the Dutch Parliament passed a bill which transposes the amendments to the ePrivacy Directive. Pursuant to the new “cookie law,” incorporated in the Dutch Telecommunications Act (article 11.7a under 1), website operators will be required to obtain prior consent from users before they can store or gain access to cookies on the user’s computer (opt-in).
So in general it comes down that every website (not only the Dutch ones, but ALL of them) need to ask the visitors from Holland if they wish to accept the use of cookies (needs to be done in Dutch). If not, they can be fined by the Dutch regulators OPTA, who already already acknowledge that it is impossible to check each website out there so they are going to pick the big and easy sites first (sites like big national news sites and stuff like that).

All of this is done to protect the privacy of the visitors of the website, which is ordered by the European Union in e-Privacy Directive (2009/136/EC) (pdf alert) which in general is a good thing, but the way they did it is so bad it just makes you want to cry if you are a web designer who aims on Dutch visitors. For example, the law only focusses on cookies while with HTML5 you can store multiple MB's on a local hard drive which can contain far more then just a simple cookie.

The best solution imho would be to add a block option in browsers. That way you only need to talk to a dozen companies instead of millions of web designers..

Now, here is my question to debate:

Privacy on the internet, is it fiction? Do we need to protect it? Is it up to the governments to make these rules since internet is not restricted to single country laws?

And to close with some funny notes:
Image of the official website from Dutch government containing tracking cookies
Image of website of the regulating organisation OPTA which is tasked with controlling and fining the illegal use of cookies which uses cookies without a warning

sources:
https://www.privacyassociation.org/...aw_requires_prior_consent_from_internet_users
http://webwereld.nl/nieuws/110746/opta--nederlandse-cookiewet-geldt-voor-hele-wereld.html (in Dutch)

DeletedUser

Silly dutchmen. I know why you're obsessed with cookies...:rolleyes:

DeletedUser1121

A useless government.

Anyway, I've read about this, and this only applies to tracking cookies, right? Not cookies that, say, save your login data.

Yup, only tracking cookies. But there are a lot of those out there :)

Slygoxx

Yeah, including Google Analytics. It sucks, but they won't be able to check the many millions of websites anyway.

DeletedUser15641

Well it might not be useless i don't really know what or who could get any advantage by this law.I mean their must be a catch out their...

DeletedUser

Meh i thought we would be giving "Cookies" in forms of bonus codes :/...

Well with "Cookie" do you mean the like tracer or saving thing that you use for like every site in the world? Cause that would be absolutely ridicoules and just another way to make money -.-.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser563

this wouldnt really be a problem most websites provides localized ads etc and are aware of the IP address's nationality. Just need to add different code with ads etc that ask for this permission. Only thing I can say negatively is that if a user has turned off cookies already it would be annoying to receive a popup every 2 minutes as you browse.

It seems this law is anyway against the general spirit I see in sites of the Netherlands many of which is a bit "liberal" to say the least.

DeletedUser

Tbh, treating tracking cookies as an invasion of privacy is a real stretch of the imagination. Perhaps they should outlaw credit cards and shopping cards, license plates and medical cards. Or how about bank accounts and any other form of number tracking. Those are far more invasive.

DeletedUser17649

Sweden has the same thing. Thought as far as I know it's only the government who follows it.