Community Reports Discussion

• Thread starter DeletedUser8627
  • Start date

DeletedUser8627

Please make use of this thread to post your feedback on the monthly reports being announced to the players.

All Community reports will be announced around the 1st of each month.

DeletedUser34315

"Multiplayer Instances
We haven't talked a lot about the Multiplayer Instances (MPI) yet. Most of you will probably only know them from our Roadmap but they are a really big and cool feature that is based on the fort battle mechanics but still different and much more flexible. We finished concepts for the MPI and started working on them a few weeks ago.
So what exactly are the MPI?
Multiplayer Instances are interactive real time adventures that small groups of players can do together. Examples are Bear hunt, Stage coach robbery or fighting a bandit gang. So just imagine a nice looking fort battle map with a few NPC bears that you need to shoot but be careful they don’t come to close to you or they will hit you or a train driving slowly through the map that is defended by NPCs and you need to try to stop the train build blocks on the track or shoot the bandits driving the locomotive. The MPIs will be a feature that you can use while for example waiting for your energy to reload or while waiting for a 2-hour job to end. The MPIs are an independent feature that is a level above the actual game and we even try to make it a market-wide feature so that players from different worlds can play together.
For now we are working on a map editor, graphics and the Screendesign. Nothing is final yet though and it will take a few months before we can actually play the first Instances.
More information on that topic will follow on the devblog in a few weeks probably."

This sounds incredibly fun, and I am really excited to see that come about.

"Fighting zero motivation duelers
Another problem that has been here for quite some time. We have discussed this internally so many times but never found a solution we were all completely satisfied with. We do want to change something now finally and will therefore soon split the NPC and PvP duel motivation and test this on the Beta. That change alone will not solve the problem though and further changes need to be done. One idea is to set both motivations back to 100% every night. This would mean that many consumables become useless and there’s nothing to stop duelers from permanently dueling anymore. That doesn't have to be a bad thing but something that would change the playstyle and game mechanics a lot."

Yeah, it DOES have to be a bad thing. You know how fast your DL goes up if you duel for any decent amount of time at full motivation? Seriously, have any of you gone full exp. dueler? I got to level 606 in ~7 months... I have a grand total of 11 targets-in the entire world.With your motivation resetting to 100 % every day, and npc duels not reducing it- 0 mots would be gone entirely.
I still don't see why there is such a push to eliminate 0 mots! It's a perfectly valid duel strategy. Changing it to 100% mot. every night, and separate motivations for NPC and player would massively decimate players' desires to be duelers. Dueling is boring when you have to spend 95% of your time just walking to targets.

"The future of dueling
Talking about duels, we want to talk a little about bigger ideas we have in mind for dueling. We have worked on a prototype for an interactive duel system with abilities that can be used and a special skill tree for duels. We plan to keep and implement this idea but it's a lot of Game Design effort and needs some more thinking. On top of that we just discussed an Arena system for duels which would be an area on the map (Any idea where that could be? ). PvP Dueling would only be possible in the arena, nowhere else on the map anymore except from arranged duels. Players who don't want to be dueled and KOed would be saved and duelers would have a cool place where they will always find opponents. In order to compensate the opponent loss that duelers would have for sure we want to put some NPCs on the map that are available in different strength levels. Possibly would also be to have some moving NPC bosses that give higher experience and the chance to get a rare item as a reward.
This is a just born idea though, nothing we will implement in the near future."

Well, if you're going to nuke player dueling via forcing everyone to go exp. dueler or just reskill to something else, it'd be rather nice if you replaced it with something...
This whole thing is really stupid, imo.
Now, duelers really cannot contribute to fort battles, as they cannot duel enemy forters in advance, since in a couple of months, this forced motivation gain every day will raise their DL far out of reach- or, even more so, there'l be an arena, and no pvp outside of that.

Defeats any semblance of realism duels had- "Whoa, man! I'm across the magic line! No shooting me until i go back to trollface mountain!"

You'd have to add a bloody lot of NPC's to make up for losing the ~500 targets a 0 mot has...
Plus, crushing an npc is boring. The thrill of dueling is beating an opponent you really care about beating.

In short- don't muck with something that really doesn't need mucking about... If you want to go changing dueling, just widen the range of viable builds, not outright ban dueling except for certain areas...

DeletedUser8627

Yeah, it DOES have to be a bad thing. You know how fast your DL goes up if you duel for any decent amount of time at full motivation? Seriously, have any of you gone full exp. dueler? I got to level 606 in ~7 months... I have a grand total of 11 targets-in the entire world.With your motivation resetting to 100 % every day, and npc duels not reducing it- 0 mots would be gone entirely.
I still don't see why there is such a push to eliminate 0 mots! It's a perfectly valid duel strategy. Changing it to 100% mot. every night, and separate motivations for NPC and player would massively decimate players' desires to be duelers. Dueling is boring when you have to spend 95% of your time just walking to targets.
Imagine if everyone had a constant flow of duel XP. All levels would rise into your range giving you more targets.

DeletedUser34315

Imagine if everyone had a constant flow of duel XP. All levels would rise into your range giving you more targets.

There just flat out aren't that many pure duelers on even the active worlds, though. There will be a very noticeable lack of targets if you are a hardcore pure dueler, as you will outstrip the other players very quickly.

Can you explain why it is that the devs want to get rid of 0 mots?

DeletedUser34781

loads of players get disheartened by getting ko'd every 2 days... some don't know enough on their own to remedy it.

I like that they are looking to improve on all areas of the game. baby steps :) as its shown in the past big changes make folks go crazy with new things not liked by the community but i do welcome this monthly report it is a welcome addition. keeping players updated. not everyone even remembers the dev blog is there

DeletedUser

The MPI looks like to be a great addition to 2014 on the game.

On the duelers with 0 motivation, instead of getting them to 100%, just change the way the system makes the numbers. If the motivation doesn´t affect the duel experience it doesn´t matter, so getting to 0 motivation would only cut the experience they get from the duel to the "base level" of the duel experience. Getting the same number on duel and level experience would make them find other ways to play after those 2 months from getting to level 120 from level 0.
Yeah it´s a bad time to get ko by someone that is 29,99% over your duel level but he gets 10 experience per day (excluding the daily bonuses).

I like the main story. But will we get access to anything "special" from it?
(i already saw that we will get more quests about trading and trading crafting items with other professions until the 600...)

For the direct trading between players... hope the fee for doing that starts on the $50000 for ANY item. Or that will make a big mess on the market.

And the "new cool event" it´s the Halloween quest and it´s new set? :D

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser34767

How about just getting rid of duel level. After almost a year of playing the logic of having it still does not make sense to me ( I do understand the mechanics ).

It is not really used for scoring, the duel rankings are based on straight duel experience earned as best as I can tell.

Characters of the same character level have approximately the same (AP/SP) and have the "opportunity" to put attribute and skill points into dueling skills. Players should be dueling players of approximately the same character level or higher.

Splitting motivation for NPC's and player duels is logical.

Motivation should reduce experience AND money earned from duels. We have given the duelers the opportunity to do all jobs/quests based on character level, now it is time to treat the cash earned by jobs/duels the same based on motivation.

DeletedUser29373

Dueling is boring when you have to spend 95% of your time just walking to targets.

bul, i dont need someone to control me what i want to be - 0 mot. or exp dueler.

DeletedUser30224

I also would like to see the duel level erased.

Duelling blah blah, this is what gets my pulse high:

- You will no longer need to belong to a town to attend on fort battles

- We want to add an attending button in the fort battle overview

- A player does not be present at a fort to register, just during the battle

- Fort battles of my alliance will be more highlighted in fort overview

- Screen to choose your side will be reworked and simplified

- The tactic screen will be simplified and will give you an overview what is required todo

- You will get a kind of buff icon if you are attending to a battle which also shows the timer when the battle starts and reminds you to travel

- There will be chat announcements if battles starts within an hour and not full yet

- You will have the option to get a reminder mail for fort battles

Love it love it love it :)

DeletedUser34781

the No longer needing a town to fort fight will add sooooo many more players to the dropping numbers turning up for fights. loving that idea

DeletedUser34315

the No longer needing a town to fort fight will add sooooo many more players to the dropping numbers turning up for fights. loving that idea

And remote sign in for everyone, from what i understand of twistas post. That's a great addition, walking and forgetting to sign in or being offline and unable to sign in sucks.

DeletedUser

Not true, just those people that duel will have the flow of xp. Even then what's the difference between active dueller and not active one?

DeletedUser35277

I like the idea of a specified area on the map to duel. I saw the wink on the suggestion for location, so I am thinking center of the map under all those clouds. So the clouds would really be gunsmoke from all the dueling! :D Those who live for quests would breathe
a sigh of relief, being able to work without fear of getting KO and blasted back home from a quest giver that has taken an hour to reach. I have spoken to quite a few adventurers and they all like this idea very much.

DeletedUser

Having a specified place to duel is so stupid I don't know where you got the idea for that. If you have a specified area to duel, that just about completely kills off dueling. No one will want to waste time traveling there, and seriously, NO ONE WANTS TO DUEL NPCS ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, killing off 0 motivation dueling is a bad idea. There are plenty of other 0 motivation duelers for us to duel also. Don't mess around with dueling, please.

DeletedUser15038

So then the idea behind trying to 'do away' with zero motivation duelers is to give those who have dueled for xp and there dueling level way outta whack more targets?

Speaking as a 0% motivation dueler on 11, I would feel incredibly cheated since I have sacrificed TONs of xp 0% motivation dueling to ensure that I have many targets and can spread my dueling around. For me personally dueling is what I love most about the game. Having a handful of dueling targets because my dueling level was so high would only result in 2 outcomes.

1. Those that get dueled by me get tired of me constantly dueling them for lack of other targets, and quit.

2. I get bored with a lack of targets and quit.

My fort fighter on 15 is a punching bag. I get dueled and smashed on the regular and thats fine (why would I be upset loosing a duel when I know Im not skilled to duel. Would be like being a sore looser losing a foot race to an Olympian) . If people complain they are getting dueled by 0% motivation duelers they have options. They can change to dueler and fight back. They can bounty the dueler hitting them. They can accept it as part of the game and not be upset that they are get dueled (grow up). They could duel others and increase their own dueling level beyond the one/s giving them problems by dueling with motivation. And maybe other options Ive not thought of.

Seams to me that changing the motivation to reset at 100% is not the correct solution. Why penalize people (basically give them no option to 0% mot duel) who choose a different route on a world so that their route is more fun?

DeletedUser

I don't understand what people's problem is with duelling. You get duelled, it is part of the game. Rather than seeing duelling morph into an arena battle, I would prefer for a player KO'd (through duelling, not jobs) receive increased duel protection to maybe 96 hours.

With fort fights, you have the perfect opportunity to involve the whole community with different builds. Fort fighters builds (hp mainly) will obviously be most involved in attacking / defending forts, but, I say why not allow builders to repair a fort after a battle, and allow duellers to attack the opposition and weaken them before the fight (like the good old days before people could hide at a fort for a day)?

If you nerf zero mot duelling, you will effectively get rid of the majority of the duellers who are left in the game and as a result, remove the only individual pvp activity in the game. If duelling is to be subjected to motivation, fort fighting needs to as well, the more fort fights you do, the less exp, bonds and cash you get.

If zero mot duelling and duelling in general does get nerfed, refunds should be offered for the number of nuggets spent getting sets like Doc's, Freeman's and Eaton's as most people wouldn't duel or need them anymore as you will effectively be killing duelling.

DeletedUser23737

Proposed Duel Changes.

Fighting zero motivation duelers?? I never knew we were the enemy. :eek:

I started playing the West on world 7. I was here when this game boasted 300,000+ players on the English server.

In those days (when the game was immensely popular) each player type had a definite roll to play within a town to make it prosper. :)

Duelers/soldiers were defenders of the players in their towns and later in their alliances. Posses would be formed... and wars declared on enemy towns that would come raiding. :cool:

Builders were vital to each town, as the shops they made could give its members the best selection of weapons and clothes*. They also could contribute to the ranking of a town through their building efforts. :cool:

*This vital part of the game has slowly become a redundant feature due to many new clothing sets replacing 90% of items that the shops provided (and the ability to get 'rare' items, that have now become very common...)

((Personally I like the new duel clothes... but there must be a way of incorporating them into the game without them replacing so many of the great items in the shops)).

Adventurers were the cash givers, who usually accessed high paying jobs and brought in the cash to make a town grow.:cool:

Each player had a role to play... in order to make the town function effectively.
;)

I love this game... but I can see that some changes to it over the years has alienated each character class from its dependence on one another.... to the point now where it seems a town needs not band together to overcome the 'enemy' towns....

Instead it has become a 'fort fighters can no longer abide with having duelers around' mentality i.m.o. (Or... every character for themselves...).:mad:

Kinda silly... as the original draw of this game was the ability to duel... not the ability to fort fight. Look at the intro blurb on the West log-in page if you doubt me... "Discover new lands, experience exciting adventures and duels! The West awaits! ":cool:

Anyway... Why should these two great parts of the game (dueling/fort fighting) be so opposite to each other? They both result in players' getting Ko'd, losing health and money??

The developers had a role in creating this alienation of these 2 facets of the game by making fort fighting skills different from dueling skills. Why not make these skills the same? In fact... why not make dueling skills require more than just aim/shoot and dodge... or back in the day of resistance fighters... vigor/toughness/reflex/aim?? :hmf:

If forters needed the same combination of skills as a dueler needed... then they would fare much better in defending their towns adventurers and builders.

The future of dueling?? Looks pretty bleak with the proposed changes...

The whole West map is already a duel area... why contemplate making it smaller? It is fine the way it is. :blink:

Npc dueling is dull. Dueling a real human who can telegram you... either to appreciate the good challenge... or to complain about their loss and inform you about their unique brand of ethics... is way more fun. :)

DeletedUser

If people complain they are getting dueled by 0% motivation duelers they have options. They can change to dueler and fight back. They can bounty the dueler hitting them. They can accept it as part of the game and not be upset that they are get dueled (grow up). They could duel others and increase their own dueling level beyond the one/s giving them problems by dueling with motivation. And maybe other options Ive not thought of.

Seams to me that changing the motivation to reset at 100% is not the correct solution. Why penalize people (basically give them no option to 0% mot duel) who choose a different route on a world so that their route is more fun?

That is almost impossible and that´s not the problem... most of the 0% motivations duelers are the ones around level 300 on the duel experience and why?
Well there are many things:
One you write about it;
Others are afraid of going to a higher level and start to get kicked by the "big" duelers;
Others just want to have 50000 duels won and 100 lost and barg that the are the biggest duelers in the world.

For the ones that get hit for 0 experience and get ko (many times with high numbers of energy) that is a problem. Because the other one doesn´t get anything (1 win and 1 ko for the statistics) from taking that one down. Getting that 10 times each month gets people down... since they are losing days just for someone to barg around that they have thousands and thousands of wins... but they are still many level away from the top 50 on duels.

I like when the dueler get 400 or more experience from ko me... than one that gets me ko for 0 experience. (and there are many hundreds doing that around the servers)

But that is a fallout from another problem:
Right now the easiest way to get to level 120 in a very fast pace (using some premium features it takes 100 to 120 days or less) is dueling. So those people get massive numbers on experience very fast and they get to level 120 around duel level 350-400 easily. Then... they just are afraid of starting to get in range from the old duelers. So they just stay around those levels for years.

DeletedUser34781

seems if they touch the dueling alot of people will get angry. putting it to a specific area i don't like either.. i like fact that if someone annoys me in game i can hound them daily for their annoyance. this seems to cut that out. we all have "enemies" in game and moving duelers to duel in one area will kill that area of fun for me. introduce a timer maybe - 'you have 2 hours to duel or else you moto rises 10% ' lol and npc don't apply :)