Click it or ticket seat belt campain

DeletedUser

I'm sure many people here in America (I'm sure the campaign takes place in other countries as well) know about the click it or ticket campaign. were they say that if you are not wearing your seat belt they can pull you over and give you a ticket. well it turns out that you can not be pulled over for not wearing a seatbelt but they can fine you if they stop you for another violation and you were not wearing your seat belt. not to mention that the seat belt could be the cause of someone's death (my father was in an accident many years ago he wasn't wearing his belt and the steering wheel came off and took off the back head rest were his head would have been if his belt was on) What are your thoughts about the seat belt "Law"?

DeletedUser

either way knowing that the seatbelt could be the cause of someone's death. seatbelt gets caught after a crash when you have to get out of the car fast. like I stated in the first post with my father. would you say the seat belt is not all that safe as they claim.

DeletedUser9470

seatbelts are the best safety item in modern day cars.
the technology and testing behind them is immense. there is no debate on whether or not they save your life. it is proven.
if your dad had a seatbelt he wouldnt have died because the seatbelt kept him in his seat, he would have died because the steering wheel flew off into his head.
and why did that happen?...

in UK you can be fined £60 and get 2 points on your license for not wearing a seatbelt.
I witnessed a car accident about 5 years ago, it wasnt harsh or anything, but was a nice smack, the passenger in that car went straight through her windscreen and into the car they had driven in to. she had a broken arm, a broken leg, collar bone etc... her head was a nice bloody mess too.
needless to say had she been wearing a seatbelt she would have stayed in her seat and possibly got a slightly bruised boob.

DeletedUser22493

If you've ever been smacked by a airbag without seatbelt on, you aint ever gonna forget to "strap up"..

I get an itchy feeling when driving without. Even if im just moving a car..
There is no reason for not wearing one, and the injuries costs society money that could easily been avoided.

:up: for seatbelts & the enforcement of the law.

DeletedUser

I have not seen studies or research on this but I would assume that you are much safer with the seat belt on rather than off. There will always be those instances where the seat belt would have actually done more damage if it were on. I think that the odds of staying alive are far greater with the seat belt on (which I have not seen numbers on).

Me... I'm putting mine on every time.

DeletedUser

There will always be those instances where the seat belt would have actually done more damage if it were on.

The argument I usually hear is being trapped in a burning vehicle, but if you weren't wearing a seat belt, you'd probably be unconscious in a burning vehicle. Big improvement.

DeletedUser

The argument I usually hear is being trapped in a burning vehicle, but if you weren't wearing a seat belt, you'd probably be unconscious in a burning vehicle. Big improvement.

At least you wouldn't feel the pain that way.

DeletedUser

Hey, its not like airbags are completely safe, but that doesn't stop the car makers putting more and more of those things in their automobiles so they could get a higher safety ranking.

DeletedUser9470

Hey, its not like airbags are completely safe, but that doesn't stop the car makers putting more and more of those things in their automobiles so they could get a higher safety ranking.

needless to say that the testing of cars and ratings are looked into in extreme detail.
to get a car through the Euro Ncap testing the car has to be amazing, which is why manufacturers invest millions of £ designing every single detail of your car.

ofc in the US of A it is completely different. safety ratings are probably based on how unscathed the car is after crashing through a house? idk
a couple of scratches: 5 star
2-5 scratches: 4 star
5-10 scratches: 3 star
:D

tbh if i was involved in an accident between a ford F150 and a renault clio(5star euroNcap rating), id still much rather be in the clio.
come to think of it the clio is by far the best car, a 1.2 engine can do 125MPH and listen to this: It goes round corners! yer mate i promise u!
so every corner you get to you dont even have an accident!!!
:D

DeletedUser

Yes, let's always assume everything European is better.

http://beta2.tbo.com/business/business/2008/aug/29/bz-us-puts-european-cars-to-the-test-ar-132989/

"But introducing the cars to the U.S. market isn't as simple as changing the speedometer from kilometers to miles. Ford has to reconcile American and European safety regulations - everything from the color of rear turn signals to the positioning of crash test dummies - that will keep the cars from hitting U.S. highways anytime soon."

"Ford recently studied 43 regulations in Europe and the United States and found that just 11 were equivalent, Vondale said. Fourteen had major differences that would require significant changes. Asian countries' regulations, which are closer to European requirements than their U.S. counterparts, add even more complexities."

"Tests may look similar at the outset but contain crucial differences. The European frontal crash test uses a deformable barrier - made to mimic another car - that slams into 40 percent of the front of the vehicle. That challenges engineers to spread the energy from the crash across the rest of the car. The fixed barrier in the U.S. test absorbs no energy, causing a severe crash that evaluates the vehicle's overall strength."

American or European safety regulations are no better or worse than the other, they're just different.

Edit: Comparing American and European litigiousness, I would assume American cars would have to be safer, just for liability concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

no seat belt, on a motorcycle, without a helmet, wearing shorts and a t-shirt going at 75mph in heavy traffic on a rainy day. Woot! :p

DeletedUser

Are you kidding?!? I was choking on a chicken bone, and not once did that seat belt lift a finger to save my life!

Lucky for me that chicken was suffering from osteogenesis imperfecta.

DeletedUser

Are you kidding?!? I was choking on a chicken bone, and not once did that seat belt lift a finger to save my life!

Lucky for me that chicken was suffering from osteogenesis imperfecta.

Well of course the seat belt doesn't help you out in such an event, especially not considering you use it for autoerotic asphyxiation.

DeletedUser

When I enter the car I usualy do this: keys in the ignition, seatbelt on, start the engine. In this order partly bcus I have a diesel, but mostly because I don't want to pay the fine for not wearing the seatbelt.
The guy that sold it to me said that it has 6 airbags, little that he knew that it has 8. If I don't wear the seatbelt every one of the 4 airbags on my side are useless. I mean yes, it sqeezes me in a way that after 30 of driving I may have to pee... :unsure: but I love that damn car.(I'm a student so the fact that it consumes less than me is very useful)
NCAP can't tell me much about my car because it skipped a generation(Opel Astra G. It only tested an Opel Astra F from 99 and the new Opel Astra H from 2004.(mine is from 2003 so it's a lot like the H in terms of safety equipments. The Astra H has 5 ncap stars).
So...
Upside: I don't get killed,I don't get fined.
downside: I have to pee.
The fact that I get a fine for not wearing it... as much as I would hate it, I am grateful that it makes me wanna wear it even more.

DeletedUser9470

Yes, let's always assume everything European is better.

http://beta2.tbo.com/business/business/2008/aug/29/bz-us-puts-european-cars-to-the-test-ar-132989/

"But introducing the cars to the U.S. market isn't as simple as changing the speedometer from kilometers to miles. Ford has to reconcile American and European safety regulations - everything from the color of rear turn signals to the positioning of crash test dummies - that will keep the cars from hitting U.S. highways anytime soon."

"Ford recently studied 43 regulations in Europe and the United States and found that just 11 were equivalent, Vondale said. Fourteen had major differences that would require significant changes. Asian countries' regulations, which are closer to European requirements than their U.S. counterparts, add even more complexities."

"Tests may look similar at the outset but contain crucial differences. The European frontal crash test uses a deformable barrier - made to mimic another car - that slams into 40 percent of the front of the vehicle. That challenges engineers to spread the energy from the crash across the rest of the car. The fixed barrier in the U.S. test absorbs no energy, causing a severe crash that evaluates the vehicle's overall strength."

American or European safety regulations are no better or worse than the other, they're just different.

Edit: Comparing American and European litigiousness, I would assume American cars would have to be safer, just for liability concerns.

i totally disagree.

quote from the link you post:
"Some tests have different goals. Institute tests bumpers with 3 mph and 6 mph collisions to see how well the bumpers protect the vehicle in a crash. In Europe, tests replicate hitting pedestrians at 25 mph to see how much harm the bumper causes."

so you get results like:
yer that car just went through a house, killed its occupants and the people in the house, but the bumpers fine!

also who has a crash at 3 MPH? or even 6 MPH?
LMAO

*bullet time* ooooooooooooo nnoooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!! weeeeeeeeeeee'rrrreeeeeee gooooooooooiiiiinggggggggg toooo crrrraaaaaaaasssssssshhhhhhh!

so you reckon that U.S. standards are no worse than euro Ncap tests?
so you are saying that it doesnt matter if you kill people, as long as your bumper is unscathed?
seriously?
U.S. standards are more interested in keeping GM happy than they are keeping the general public happy.
indeed, to build and put into production a bumper designed to absorb the energy out of any impact is a tad more expensive than a bumper made out of steel designed to be hard as steel...
how much more expensive? million times more expensive? i bet even more than that.
ofc american politics dictates that US citizens have no say over big corp decision making.
or things like public safety issues would have been solved...

btw apparently the best driving road in USA is the Blue ridge parkway:
469 miles (755 km) of beautiful mountain road.
max speed limit? 45 mph (70 km/h) LMAO
for sure im never ever driving down there, i bet even a granny in a golf caddy would get a speeding ticket.
im doing 90MPH down narrow country lanes in the uk, I mean 60MPH (speed limit).
If I were to ride on a beautiful wide road like that I wouldnt expect any speed limits at all.

so to ccl, all i can see is a bunch of nonesense rules in US of A and rules that make sense in Europe.
with regards to the automobile industry^

on all other fronts, european safety measures are plain ridiculous.

DeletedUser25825

I am a fan of seat belts... I was in a car that was going about five miles per hour when it rear ended the car in front of it. Even that slow speed threw me bodily into the front dash. Didn't feel good, and if that speed did that... I can only imagine what any faster might do. Ever since, I've worn seat belts.

As for the... trapped in a vehicle opinion for not wearing a seat belt, I've read seat belts fail in less than 1% of accidents. I'll take my chances on that... seeing as I have just as much chance to win at the lottery (if I ever played it). I also think that wearing that three inch strap of cloth, which keeps me from scraping along the highway after I get tossed out of a crashed vehicle, or worse rolled over by it, because I didn't would seriously suck.

Lastly, where I live they can pull me over for not wearing a seat belt. It's a recent law. I'm not sure how I feel about it, other than it sucks to be the people who don't wear a seat belt. I know I'll never be stopped for that issue. Where I live, it's only a $10 fine. Seems to me taking three whole seconds out of my day when I sit down and buckle up, is worth the not being stopped for ten to fifteen minutes while the cop that stopped me because I didn't makes sure I'm not a wanted murderer, traitor, or seditionist. *shrugs* I can also use that ten buck to buy lunch instead!

DeletedUser

Alright, how about some stories.

I was struck by drunk drivers 12 times (yes, 12 times). When you are rear-ended, seat belts do nothing, air bags don't deploy. When you are struck from the side, seat belts damage your spine and/or your organs, side bags (if you have them) deploy. And, of course, motorcycles don't have seat belts.

Seat belts really only help if you have a frontal collision or a violent roll-over. In a violent roll-over, without a seatbelt, you can be thrown out of the vehicle (in full or in part) and be crushed by the rolling vehicle. In a frontal, you can go through the windshield.

However, I did have one frontal collision, at about 65 mph. Yes, my fault. I was not wearing my seatbelt. I held myself in place by crossing my arms across the steering wheel and placing my head against my forearms. I held the steering wheel and bent it during impact. The air bag failed to deploy, the firewall collapsed and my legs were temporarily pinned by the engine block. The windshield shattered as the hood of the vehicle ripped through the car and became my hat.

If I had not ducked down into my steering wheel, I could have been decapitated (happened to the husband of a friend of mine). If I were wearing a seatbelt, it would have prevented me from reaching a safe spot, locked me in place and caused serious harm to my neck and lower back, even without the potential for decapitation.

My experiences with seatbelts is that they "can" help, not that they do. Dummy tests are with dummies that don't think, don't act, and don't react. They are not like us and thus do not give accurate readings. They emulate meatbags, not thinking organisms.

I am not sold on seatbelts, but I do wear them to avoid a ticket.