Resolved Chinese man?

DeletedUser

I've done all of the earlier steps of the quest Smells like a treasure, collected all the stuff, been to the 4 quest givers, gone to the forest meadow, lost the duel, been to the sheriff. Now it's time for the Chinese man, and it says he'll be a little to the right of the forest meadow, but that quest giver is nowhere to be found??

Someone else was having that same trouble but the Chinese man finally appeared after browser refreshes, clearing cookies and logging in and out - I've refreshed the browser multiple times, cleared cookies and other data multiple times, logged in and out multiple times, but still no Chinese man. ???????

DeletedUser

He's not to the right, he's to the north and to the right. The minimap's behavior where being located in the far north of a sector shows the sector to your north and in the far east the sector to your east guides you to the two quest givers.

When you're at the forest clearing, open the minimap. It shows the sector to your north and the Chinese man is in the SE corner. When you finish with him, open the minimap and you see the sector to your east where the next quest giver is located.

DeletedUser

The mini map does indeed open the sector to the north, but I see no white quest giver dot in the SE corner of that sector, nor can I find one when I look in the SE of that sector on the larger map.

???

Is the Chinese man close to a town, so that I could use that as a reference point to look for him? It's world Arizona.

Or is there something that is supposed to be equipped, that isn't listed in the wiki? I had the complete map equipped for the earlier steps, but that has now disappeared, it was "collected" by the game in the forest clearing. And according to the wiki, equipping gold dust comes later (I did try that too, though, just in case).

DeletedUser

2v9duog.jpg

TW-DB have a quest locator tool

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Thanks Moshuroshu! I know where it is supposed to be, though, with the earlier help from Elmyr, but even when I click on the exact spot on the mini map that you're showing me in the image, I can't find any quest giver there. I used the javascript locator code from TW-DB, and I can see someone else sitting in that exact spot, but there is no quest giver for me, there's just an empty spot. Yet I have complete all of the previous steps of the quest.

:huh: :(

Found the problem!

I've been following the step by step instructions in the official wiki for this quest (http://wiki.the-west.net/wiki/Secret_Quests), and there is a step missing there. When I started looking at other descriptions of the quest, there was an additional step in the forest meadow ("The track"), after the sheriff and before the Chinese man, which is not listed in the wiki description.

One more thing, which was neither in the wiki nor in the other descriptions. The river absolutely would not give me the final step of the quest ("The gold in the river") until I actually equipped the hollowed-out tree trunk. The wiki says nothing about equipping it, and other descriptions simply say that you need to have it in your inventory, but not equipped, and this is apparently incorrect.

Perhaps we might ask the people in charge of the wiki to fix this?

Thanks to those of you who replied!!
:)

DeletedUser

I have a problem with finding "The Chinese man" now. As much as I love 2.0 it has made most of the wiki information and guides unusable. There is no longer a middle for the Chinese man to be in nad he is nowhere on any of the quest hubs. And the mape does not have a 5,3 anymore. And there is no "Quest Giver" mark for him. Can anybody help me? I have been working hard to be able to do this quest so now I would hate to have to abandon it.
Or du you have to have something speciel equipt to find him?

DeletedUser

TW-DB is up to date.

K5arK.png

It's kind of irritating, looking at the quest. I always thought the quest givers in this quest line were cool, especially the way opening the minimap at the Forest meadow opened the map for the county to the north, where you could see the Chinese Man and he points the way east to the river. Now the quest has you bouncing all over the map.

DeletedUser

I wasn't sure about TW-DB because I couldn't load the page.
Anyway, thanks. I found it now. :) Have no idea how I missed it before.

I am having problems getting the backpack for this quest. I have the List equipped and have so far spent 22 hours doing the job "Selling Newspapers - the Western Star". I cannot seem to get the backpack though. Is there anything else I am supposed to be doing?

DeletedUser

I am having problems getting the backpack for this quest. I have the List equipped and have so far spent 22 hours doing the job "Selling Newspapers - the Western Star". I cannot seem to get the backpack though. Is there anything else I am supposed to be doing?

Are you sure you're selling them and not printing them? I did it recently on w16 and had no problems.

Yes, I have been Selling them, although at one point I also had a go at printing them too in case it was a misprint in the guide. So far I have only done hour long jobs because I am seldom around very long during the day to try shorter jobs. When I get a chance I will try some 15 second and 10 minute jobs at Selling to see if that makes any difference.