Change to automatic placement in fort fights

asdf124

Proposal
New setting for automatic placement on the fort and auto target of AI.
Details
If you don't set anywhere in a fort fight, AI places you wherever(randomly or maybe south center but bumped to east or west) and if you don't target anything, it'll set for flag.

I am proposing that the player would be able to tweak the automatic placement into their choice if they signed to a fort fight and here are the possible current issues:
1.forgot to place themselves
2.forgot to set a target
3.tried to lineup and set target but that hadn't worked due to bad connection.
4.It is also helpful for those who use "Smart devices" since that some devices cannot place themselves and target.
Where this solution would be placed?
Inside settings with the interface named AI auto placement(to let it be like it always been just click the check box)

If you don't have a check(✅)two boxes are available and you can hit(click) on which would give you options to choose from(placement would be either simply put East, West, or South. More advanced option would be with south LOS, or North LOS.

To tweak a target, you hit(click) the second box and a lot of options would be available like DT, WT, ST,AT, south wall, inside gate, inside nearest tower, inside house, flag peashooter(south sector which can shot flag with other obstacles), flag, etc.
Abuse Prevention
There are no abuse in it imo
Summary
Same as proposal.

Administration
Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? No.

Last edited:

foscock

Banned
This idea makes no sense as written - are you suggesting a player can change their starting position after a battle has started? Think about that for a bit...

Last edited by a moderator:

asdf124

This idea makes no sense as written - are you suggesting a player can change their starting position after a battle has started? Think about that for a bit...

No, but if they didn't lineup at all(which is a bug sometimes for those with slower connection)

They can make the AI to have a selected new default lineup or target if not chosen by players when they signed up for the ff.(cause the default target for attacks are flags)

Yes, this benefits me and maybe a lot of other people.

DeletedUser26820

Respectfully, I'd vote against it.

If you don't set a starting position when you sign up for or prior to a FF start, then you're not in the FF. It's simple.

Just as simple is setting a target when signing up for or prior to the start of a FF. If you don't, then you don't move during the FF. It's simple.

If the issue is with a slower connection or with playing on a smart device, that should maybe be the focus of improvement. But having a slow connection has little to do with setting a starting point and target in FF unless one is attempting to do both in less than a minute or so prior to the start of a FF. Doing it 10-23 hours prior to start, even a slower connection doesn't prevent it.

Additionally, in FF's, unless the target for offliners is to set to flag, a lot of folks don't want a flag rush and would prefer that not be the default target of those that didn't set a target.

So, I'd vote against the proposal as submitted.

asdf124

Respectfully, I'd vote against it.

Just as simple is setting a target when signing up for or prior to the start of a FF. If you don't, then you don't move during the FF. It's simple.

If the issue is with a slower connection or with playing on a smart device, that should maybe be the focus of improvement. But having a slow connection has little to do with setting a starting point and target in FF unless one is attempting to do both in less than a minute or so prior to the start of a FF. Doing it 10-23 hours prior to start, even a slower connection doesn't prevent it.

Additionally, in FF's, unless the target for offliners is to set to flag, a lot of folks don't want a flag rush and would prefer that not be the default target of those that didn't set a target.

So, I'd vote against the proposal as submitted.

Your lying about slower connections, I have seen a few peeps saying that they lined up but it it never really set(which is frustrating since you'd have either a really bad position or lucky enough with a semi clear spot) and I think that the default setting is utterly dumb.

You can't lineup nor set for a target in most "smart devices" and this idea just gives choices to players.

I ain't sure if everyone doesn't want to set for flags since we both know there are trolls in this game.

Since it doesn't happen to you, why refrain a solution on those who actually has this kind of problem.
In the future, you may become a victim to such problems.

Thanks for your thoughts.

DeletedUser26820

plonker is actually a compliment to this Rooster Hoover's thread....

Can a Mod shut this down before someone says something honest and starts getting ban points for it?

I believe foscock, a GM Master, has already expressed concern regarding this thread.

You assert I'm lying, you can bend over and I'll.....

This thread went bad a while back.....

DeletedUser35120

I don't know why one has to post stupid nonsensical ideas if one is actually out of proper ideas to post. Like, really?

DeletedUser34295

I don't understand all the hate on this suggestion. It's not really that difficult to understand either:

Current automatic: Set for flag and stand wherever.
Let people change the automatic for something more suitable "in case of emergencies" so to speak.

It's not too weird for players to be able to change it, also like he already mentioned it would help those trying to play on mobile/pad since it's not always responding to let them place themselves. It would also help those with slow connections indeed. I placed myself in an FF once and then closed the window, only to find out later that I was placed totally randomly and set for flag and failed miserably - simply because server/connection hadn't saved what I did even though it was clear on my end.

I like the idea!

Pankreas PorFavor

The way this idea is written is not good.
I suppose (based on further replies) that the OP wants to have more "default settings" to choose from, and not only let AI randomly place you anywhere and set for flag. And he wants the interface on his phone to let him do it. But the way it is written in the proposal is terrible.

asdf124

The way this idea is written is not good.
I suppose (based on further replies) that the OP wants to have more "default settings" to choose from, and not only let AI randomly place you anywhere and set for flag. And he wants the interface on his phone to let him do it. But the way it is written in the proposal is terrible.

I apologize for poor writing, but you can use the settings in most smartphones, so the idea is limited to the interface.

Pankreas PorFavor

Just go back and read what you wrote in the proposal.
AI places you randomly and targets flag, you propose to allow the player to change this and set where they want and target where they want. Well, duh - it's exactly what hundreds of players do every day...
You wrote almost nothing about smartphone interface, how or when the players should be allowed to change their target/placement, etc. We can't read your mind. Take a deep breath, spend 5 minutes on writing the proposal, read it again from a perspective of a person who does not know what is in your head and then click "Post" button. There is basically nothing wrong with this proposal (when you explain it better) but you did a poor job describing what you really want.

DeletedUser26820

First, I apologize for my outburst on the first page, and I sincerely appreciate Pankreas for being a bit more diplomatic than I am.

If the issue with playing the game with a "slower internet connection" and/or smart device is a problem, changing some default rules with FF's will not solve that problem.

We've had some very simple default rules with FF's and they've worked for a long time:
** When you sign into a FF, you set your position. If you do not or can not, then you don't get into the FF. It's simple.
** If you're in the FF but are offline and have not set a target OR are online and not move to another position, you remain in that position. You have no targeted and you don't move. It's simple.

My concern is changing these defaults to accommodate "slower internet connections" and smart devices, because these defaults are not the issue and they're not broken.
If you're not in, you're not in.
If you don't move, you stand still.
Applies equally to everyone.
More so, and I guess most importantly from my perspective, I don't want AI taking over, much less, having a contributing hand, in FF's, or any other aspect of the game.
To use an example as to why I don't want AI having an impact over my toon or the game itself: If I don't log in for 8 hours but the Traveling Fair opens and the AI has seen that I've contributed to the TF in every county every time, I don't want the game moving me at the TF and dropping resources and doing construction it.
Just like a FF, when and how I get to the Traveling Fair is incumbent upon and up to me, whether playing on a computer, slower internet connection or smart device.

The player bettering his internet connectivity speed and Inno working on better interfacing the game with smart devices is the solution to the problem.

Again, my apologies for blowing up on the previous page.

asdf124

First, I apologize for my outburst on the first page, and I sincerely appreciate Pankreas for being a bit more diplomatic than I am.

If the issue with playing the game with a "slower internet connection" and/or smart device is a problem, changing some default rules with FF's will not solve that problem.

We've had some very simple default rules with FF's and they've worked for a long time:
** When you sign into a FF, you set your position. If you do not or can not, then you don't get into the FF. It's simple.
** If you're in the FF but are offline and have not set a target OR are online and not move to another position, you remain in that position. You have no targeted and you don't move. It's simple.

My concern is changing these defaults to accommodate "slower internet connections" and smart devices, because these defaults are not the issue and they're not broken.
If you're not in, you're not in.
If you don't move, you stand still.
Applies equally to everyone.

The player bettering his internet connectivity speed and Inno working on better interfacing the game with smart devices is the solution to the problem.

I am very sure that if you don't set a target in attacks, you simply target flag. You can join the ff even if you couldn't place yourself or set a target. (If the ff is full, you miss it. If your not at ff, you miss it)

What your truly saying is:
Just simply quit fort fighting until you can place yourself and set a target. Another issue would be distant players.(the ping which is if pretty bad, and they have good connection. They simply cannot get any better unless new technology which is very expensive and silly since it cannot fix the latency(ping) issue))(<this is a possible issue which I hadn't heard about other than in adventures)

Pankreas, I hope I done a better job but public speaking isn't my best subject, I apologize if it went to worse or not changed to a better technique.

Last edited:

DeletedUser26820

I'll try to say this nicely so not offend:

What you proposed, in the initial and first post of this thread, is dead.

Going forward, I'd appreciate you NOT taking a post of mine, as above, regarding "slower internet connections" and playing on smart devices and turning that into a conversation of "Just simply quit fort fighting until you can place yourself and set a target."

You started this, asdf.... What's your real issue in this singular proposal you presented?
Playing on slower internet connections and smart devices??
Default setting of toons at a FF??
The targeting of toons at a FF that haven't yet signed into a FF??
Encouraging AI taking over the game??

I've made 377 posts in The West Forum. I hear one gets a reward for posting 500 times.
As long as asdf can keep this thread open, I might have that reward by the end of the month.

asdf124

You started this, asdf.... What's your real issue in this singular proposal you presented?
Playing on slower internet connections and smart devices??
Default setting of toons at a FF??
The targeting of toons at a FF that haven't yet signed into a FF??
Encouraging AI taking over the game??

Current system once signed into a ff=
1.If the toon isn't placed, placement would be either random or south center. If not targeting anything, it targets flag.
2.If you use some smart devices, you can login(sign up) to fortfights but most of em cannot let you place yourself

I have these issues and want to change that.

Last edited:

asdf124

Would you please quit editing the original post every time you get an idea?

I've edited to try making it as clear as I can due to a notice made by pankreas. This thread was a split one thanks to futu and I don't want you to hammer anything against him. I think he's made a great job breaking it from fill the gap thread.