change the default job length

DeletedUser5046

3 mins is Idiot way of starting!:p how about 10 min instead of a 3 min? Man ya, how about a quest that incresses the effucult lenght of jobs.

look lewis...te first quest required three minutes pickin tobacco..and luck to get one in tat three minutes...which means lesser time and less energy consuming job and faster leveling...^^ so what would hurt te first three minutes of each job then another 2 hours ....in tis case i was thinking of adding up te first job to te next working hours...

it only works as if you do 23 mins for te first job^^

DeletedUser

Then we would have lots of noobs asking "Why aren't I allowed to do 10 minute jobs anymore?" because they are to nooby to differentiate between default and compulsory.
Perhaps. Somehow I doubt there would be all that many. Anyway it was just a quick rough draft. It could probably be written better with a little more thought. The underlying point isn't the wording, it's the basic concept of using a bit of added quest text for holding the poor noob's hand to whatever extent people find it necessary.

If there's really so much consternation over noobs being too dumb to figure that out that the suggestion would be generally opposed due to that, there's always the individual user settings route. Then the hapless noobs could wallow in 10-minute city all they wanted while the rest of us could get to work with serious job lengths.

That brings up another thing. There's all this fuss over noobs getting tripped up if we change the default away from 10 minutes, yet we currently deal with a perpetual trickle of questions about why somebody isn't getting any experience from working, and it's because they're doing jobs for 10 minutes. So we're already having to (manually, repeatedly) advise noobs to change their default job length away from 10 minutes. Why not just change the default? Then at least it would be a useful default instead of one we always have to change and always have to advise noobs to change.

DeletedUser

Luap I said I liked the idea. I also stated it is trivial. Gem thinks its useless. Violette brought up a good point about tutorials. If you want to get right down to it you can get away with the 10 minute work period. You can change the default on building from 30m to 2 hours. Is this really going to make a huge difference and benefit me in the long run? No, not really. It is trivial and I would think would fall so far down on the devs list that I would not hold my breath waiting to see it implemented.

DeletedUser

perhaps this should be added to the minor ideas?
Already added. :)

D, I've already responded to all of what you just posted. Rather than doing so again, I'd ask you to respond to my already-posted counterpoints about those items. Failing that, if you really think this idea is useless and unpopular, there's no point in spending your time here as you should believe that it will fail on its own.

It's certainly a trivial matter for one person to change the job length once, but when multiplied out across hundreds (or even just tens) of thousands of characters every day for years, we're actually talking about a gigantic amount of mouse clicks to potentially be saved. That does warrant some modest amount of development effort, albeit certainly not as much as bigger ideas and suggestions.

DeletedUser

Why don't you add my mockup to your post in minor suggestions? I don't want all my hard work to go to waste!
Oh, I guess I either missed it before, or had forgotten all about it. Nice job.

Should that thread get mockups at all, though? I thought it was for ideas that only need a few words and no discussion or explanation. Inserting a mockup there seems to make a mockup-ery of the idea, doesn't it?

I'll add a link to this thread and your mockup though, for those who want them.

Diggo11

Luap if you make it you may as well use it ;)

And just 'cause it doesn't need it doesn't make it pointless/illegal to have it.

DeletedUser

I also have to support Luap on this one. I can understand it may seem trivial to some people, but I would like this as well.

DeletedUser

I also have to support Luap on this one. I can understand it may seem trivial to some people, but I would like this as well.

minor ideas :-0
It is a minor idea. That doesn't mean it's a bad idea, or unworthy of immediate attention. It means it's not worth immediate major attention. Hence my adding it to the minor ideas thread. ;)

Diggo11

I think he meant it should be in the minor idea thread, not in its own. Obviously he doesn't realise the minor ideas thread was made after this one.