Book of the month -- Straight Man by Richard Russo

DeletedUser

We've got a Song of the Week, a Movie of the Week, so I'm going to open up a Book of the Month thread.

Haven't read the book to be able to comment on it? I'm only discussing one book a month, so if you're interested, you'll have a chance to read it.

First book is Straight Man by Richard Russo.

On the face of it, this is a fairly depressing book. It's about a college professor who is going through a mid-life crisis, his daughter is having financial and marital problems, he's the temporary chair for an extremely dysfunctional English department - most of whom seem to want to cut him off at the knees, he's having health issues (he can't pee and he fears that it is either a stone, or cancer), he and his wife are having problems (most of which involve the kind of estrangement that comes with many years of marriage), budget cuts that may require him to come up with a list of people to fire from his department, his long-absent father is coming home...whew...

But, any good comedy is based on a whole lot of tragedy. This book is insightful, introspective and very, very funny.

I could write much more, but I want to give others room for comment.