Below Absolute Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser13682

Peadar listened to Harriet's job description. It sounded boring, extremely boring. Peadar had done some boring things but not as boring as taking soil samples. He pitied her. As she talked, Peadar also noticed that Harriet's speech was getting increasing slurred. He guessed that you didn't get much alcohol in prison. A horrible existence indeed. Peadar himself was starting to feel the effects of the drink, but years of army life had tempered Peadar's liver. Before long, Harriet felt that it was time to leave, though the hour was still early. She got up to leave, and promptly fell back into her chair.
The alcohol had disabled her legs. She slurringly asked someone to help her to her room. Poor girl, she had been from the drink far too long and had bitten off more than she could chew (metaphorically). It was Peadar's duty as a career drinker to help the fledgling with her imprudent decision and its consequence. "I'll help out. Besides, I think it's time to flip my record over. Mp3 just doesn't have the same quality as vinyl." Peadar got up and helped Harriet out of her seat, supporting her in the usual manner. "Come on now. Get your key ready, the bar isn't far from our rooms."

Deleted User - 819397

Xenon was fuming (well, for him at least)...he'd sworn he'd properly set up his recommendation files. He was lucky that the station didn't hold it against him, else they might have become suspicious...and he couldn't have that. At the next piece of news, however, Xenon's mouth formed what might have been the beginnings of a smile, showing his elation. They'd actually put him in charge of a mining satellite. There was so much he could do with this, once he'd learned how things ran there. Looking at Mr. Weiland, he saw a moment of trepidation in the man's eyes. Something inside him was warning him things weren't as they seemed. Troublesome, but not surprising. Again he felt himself touched by anger...he couldn't afford to slip up like that.

When asked if they had any questions, the other man said no, trying to leave quickly, no doubt to avoid showing he was somewhat drunk. Xenon didn't have any pressing matters...he did want to take a look at Alpha, but he'd get his chance tomorrow, and there was no point in rushing. He maintained professionalism though, not leaving like the other man, giving a quick "no questions from me right now" to answer the man. He'd need to be careful around Mr. Weiland for a while, to ease the man's suspicions.

DeletedUser28032

Mr Weiland
"Very well in which case with the exception of Mr Well's whom I am assuming will want to get cracking down in Alpha, I’ll see you all tomorrow morning, good day" he said pleasantly signalling the end of the meeting and releasing them to spend the rest of the day as they will.
-----------------------------
Harriet
Leaning heavily against Peadar as he hoisted her out of the chair Harriet fumbles for her room key managing to pull it out on the second attempt and hang it from the end of one of her fingers as they left the bar "thank you...there...there wasn't any al...al..alcohol inside...well...not real alcohol anyway and Mei said I shouldn't drink that stuff" Harriet slurred thinking of her former cell mate for the first time since leaving "...so now...I...I am a little tipsy" she continued drunkenly before giggling at a joke that only the truly inebriated could understand.
Upon reaching her room Harriet slides the key around the metal of the lock for several seconds before finally managing to find the slot and turning the handle "Thank you...you've been very kind to me...my knight in shining armour" she says before kissing him on the cheek, a gesture that could have been thought of as romantic had she not suddenly slumped against him in such a way that the Irishman had to once again hoist her back onto her feet and hold her steady until she was ready to stumble into her room and close the door behind her.
-----------------------------
From out of the darkness
As both the newcomers and workers finished the day and left for home in order to get ready for the next day of work and drinking the station became increasingly silent with only the distant hum of the generators and the occasional footsteps of security personnel on the night shift to fill it. It was as you lay within this deep and brooding silence that you fancied that you could hear the miles of rock and ice overhead creaking and the harsh skin flaying winds howling as they whipped across the planets surface. Even the slightest of rattles coming from the ventilation system became the scuttling feet of some nocturnal predator with glowing eyes and vicious fangs hunting for its next meal.
And so it was within the all pervading silence of Charlie block that the ear splitting scream of a woman issued to break the silence.

DeletedUser

Doemenic was fumbling with his keys, trying to get the door open when suddenly the chilling scream rang out. He looked up in surprise. It was a woman's scream. He turned and began to make his way forwards through the near darkness in the direction the sound had come from.
A scream...a woman's scream... it brought the memories back.. all so vivid and horrible, seeing her body smashing onto the console as the truck slammed into the front of the car... no. Couldn't think about that. Had to focus on the present. A scream in the middle of night? That couldn't be good for the company. Breaking out into a run, he headed towards the source of the noise, hoping not to find a body.

DeletedUser35174

Ethan was in his bed thinking about the day that just passed. It was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. That was until the scream tore through the silence of the night. Without hesitation Ethan got up and ran out the door ignoring the fact that all he wore was black pyjama pants. As he ran out the door he saw a figure already heading towards the sound. Squinting his eyes he figured it was Dominic. "Dominic" he yelled. Ethan guessed two would be better than one. With that he sprinted after him.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser28032

It didn't take the two men long to realise that the scream had come from out of Harriet's room which had now become deathly quiet. If either of the them were to try the door they would find it to be locked as was the norm within the facility and the key that opened it in Harriets possession on the other side of the door.

Apelatia

Ragnar awoke suddenly from his slumber upon hearing a woman's scream tear through the air. The sound seemed to come from not very far away. Whatever it was, he didn't want to get involved at all. Picking up a chair from the small desk in his room, he places it near the door, and sits on it. If anything bad happened to him, or in fact anyone else, he would be ready for it.

He heard the sound of footsteps running hurriedly down the corridor outside. For the first time in his life, he actually felt truly afraid. Feelings of regret slowly started to seep into his mind as he sat there. He began to wish that he hadn't signed up for this job after all. But, soon memories of his brother flooded back to him, and he clasped the chain around his neck in his hands and steeled his mind. Whatever happens, I'll remember you my little brother...

DeletedUser35174

"Dom i think its from harriet's room" Ethan yelled to Dominic. The door was locked and after trying the knob a few times he figured it was hopeless. Adrenaline pumped through him now as memories flooded his mind of his life as a marine....not now. "Harriet.....Harriet" He Yelled again. Not waiting for a reply Ethan stepped back and as he could kicked the door in order to break it down. "give me a hand here Dom" he half yelled through gritted teeth as pain flared through his bare foot and worked it's way up his leg, but still he kicked.

DeletedUser13682

Peadar and Harriet made it to her room with little trouble, despite the stumblings of Harriet. Peadar supposed it was the experience from having to do the same thing for new soldiers and neighbourhood kids on Friday night that made this task fairly easy. On the way, she talked about how they only had alcoholless alcohol in the slam, and how someone named Mei warned Harriet to not drink it. Peadar would have said the same thing. He made a note to ask Harriet about Mei when she sobered up. Upon arrival, Harriet left Peadar's support and thanked him for bringing her to her room. "I'm not really a knight, " Peadar began to say before being interrupted by a kiss on the cheek followed shortly by nearly being knocked back by Harriet's sudden slouching. After steadying her, Peadar sent Harriet to her bed. "Night, Harriet. I'll meet you in the cantina tomorrow. I'll buy you some breakfast."

Peadar returned to his room, and noticed that the record had indeed hit the end of the side. After returning it to its sleeve, Peadar dressed in pyjamas, performed the oral hygiene rituals and entered the warm comfort of his bed.

An unknown time later, Peadar was woken by a screaming woman. He knew that kind of scream. Whether it was in Canada, Mongolia, or the Irish border, that same scream flew out from anyone in danger of a horrible death. It sounded again, and Peadar knew where it was coming from. Jumping out of bed, Peadar sprinted to his baggage, grabbing a large crowbar and a mallet. He exited his room and saw two men approaching. They were two of Peadar's fellow newcomers. One was kicking at the door. "Stop kicking. One of you find a supervisor or guard or anybody with a skeleton card. Other person alert security." Peadar took his crowbar and tried jamming it into the crack between Harriet's door and its frame, forcing it in as far as it would go with the mallet and tried to pry the door open.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35174

"Stop kicking. One of you find a supervisor or guard or anybody with a skeleton card. Other person alert security." said who sounded like peadar. He was running towards them with a mallet and crowbar. "hell, I'm not leaving man you don't know whats in there. Dom run straight ahead if you see anyone anybody at all warn them" He said with authority. "Peadar, we don't know who or what is in there, now you know as good as i do never to breech a door alone" he said turning to Peadar. A chill ran down Ethan's bare back now. It might have been warm earlier but for some reason it was cold now. "here give me that, I'll hold it you hit it with the mallet" he said pointing to the crowbar.

Deleted User - 819397

Xenon had called it an early night, wanting to be as ready as possible for his first day, particularly with his boss unsure about him. Thus, when the scream rent the air, he jumped out of bed, ready to fight whoever had made it into his room. Nothing. No one was in his room. However, sounds outside his door indicated he wasn't the only one who heard the yelling. Throwing on a robe, he grabbed his card (so he could get back into his room after finding out what was going on) and stormed out into the hallway. Several of the people on his launch flight were trying to get into Harriet's room, implying she was the one who had screamed. "What the hell is she doing?" he muttered to himself. He figured that the three in front of her door didn't need more help, so he watched, glaring at them as though it was their fault.

DeletedUser

Doemenic turned as Ethan ran up behind him, before he tried to shoulder barge the door, which was locked. The scream had come from Harriet's room, what could have happened? Doemenic would bet his wages that it was whatever had been causing the other 'accidents'.
Peadar appeared on the scene, carrying a crowbar and a mallet, before commanding one of them to find a supervisor as he tried to force the door open.
Ethan said that he would stay and help to breach the door. Deciding that he wouldn't be much help Doemenic decided to find a supervisor. He told the others before setting off at a jog through the block, hoping to find a supervisor, a guard or anybody who could help.

DeletedUser28032

Harriet
The door came apart with the splintering crack of wood prompting another albeit quieter shriek of fear from Harriet who was currently balled up in the corner of the room; her knees drawn up to her chest with one arm clasping them tightly and the other gripping what looked to be either a table knife or a screw driver, its metal tip glinting in light cast from the corridor holding it ready to defend herself as her eyes frantically searched the darkness with her breathing so fast as to be on the verge of hyperventilation.
Turning to point what transpired to be a table knife out towards the three men its blade not even vaguely sharp in a hand that trembled violently her eyes locking onto them as she speaks in an hysterical voice "Get away from me I am not going back there! It wasn't my fault I didn't kill those people!"
---------------------------------
Captain Speer
Immaculately polished boots strode down the corridor in near perfect step with those of his partner as they made their way towards Charlie block; the last stop before returning back to the armoury for more coffee.
Despite being the head of security Manfred still had to pull his own weight as the team was far too small for him to do otherwise, and although he could claim one of the cushier jobs he liked the night patrol finding that it reminded him of his time within Somalia and Zimbabwe albeit an awful less hazardous to his well being “Tell me Zipora did you ever spend much time behind enemy lines?” the South African asks casually as they walked down the deserted corridor past row after row of closed doors. The Israeli woman seems to consider the question for a few seconds before speaking in reply “Does Palestine count?” he considers the answer for a few minutes before shrugging his shoulders in indecision.
However before they could go any further with the conversation the sound of footsteps coming towards them causes them to stop and spear the approaching man with two beams of high powered torchlight their hands making no move towards the side arms they carried, a special precaution they only took for night shifts.
“Awfully late for you to be taking a run…is there something we can help you with?” he announced to the man in front of him vaguely recognising him as one of the newcomers from this morning and wondering what had brought him out into the corridors at this hour.

DeletedUser35174

After they managed to smash the door open Ethan charged in fists clenched ready to retaliate should a need arise. "oh hell" Ethan muttered when he saw Harriet in the corner clutching a knife of some sort. Stay away she warned them pointing the knife with shaky hands. "Peadar come in here man, don't let anyone else in" he said to the Ex soldier. Ethan trusted Peadar, maybe not with his life but enough since he's a fellow soldier and has experienced most of what Ethan has. Slowly walking towards Harriet the ex-marine held both hands in the air in a gesture as so he wouldn't hurt her. "Harriet put the knife down, I'm not going to hurt you, come on give me the knife" he said while on of his hands were on the air and the other extended to Harriet.

DeletedUser13682

The door gave on the seventh yank of the crowbar, the mallet on the ground. Peadar looked for Harriet, and at first didn't find her. He feared the worst as an old movie (set in a space ship with seven crew members and a cat) entered his mind. It turned out to not be that bad; a moment later Harriet was found in a corner, huddling, trying to defend herself with what appeared to be a butter knife. The question was from what.

It was answered a moment later by Harriet declaring that she wouldn't go back and that she didn't kill anybody. It wasn't an attack, it was only PTSD (ha!). Ethan walked in asking Peadar to come in too, not wanting anyone else in. Peadar set the crowbar down and entered the room. Looking around, Peadar noticed the state of Harriet's room. It was horribly messy. She had probably had a flashback from her time in the slam, perhaps right after a failed escape attempt. Peadar wondered how bad that slam was if it produced the same kind of episodes that Peadar saw from some fellow soldiers after the Invasion Over the Steppe. Ethan was slowly walking toward Harriet, telling her to put the knife down. "Oh bleeding dung, Ethan. That's not going to work. Harriet, it's me, Peadar. You're on Niflheimr, that ice planet straight out of Star Wars. You might be having a flashback. It's not real. I'm real, and I'm here for you. Tell me what you need me to do." This strategy sometimes worked too soothe those having a flashback, but, as with any other treatment method, it might fail spectacularly. If so, everyone might need to run.

DeletedUser

Doemenic ran through the corridors of the block, coming across nobody until he saw the flicker of torchlights. He ran towards them, stopping as they raised their high-voltage torchlights up to his face. Temporarily blinded, he stepped back, putting his hands over his eyes. “Awfully late for you to be taking a run…is there something we can help you with?” One of them asked.
"Yes..." He panted. " We heard a scream come from the Canary's room, we were trying to get in when I came to find you."

Apelatia

Hearing all the commotion going on outside, Ragnar's curiosity overcomes his fear. Cautiously opening the door, he peered outside his room. A lot of noise seemed to be coming from the Canary's room. Moving down the corridor, he could hear the sound of of two men trying to placate the girl.

Moving into the room, he surveys the scene. Messed up room, girl sitting in corner holding a knife, signs of a fight... He asks in his perfect English accent, "Anything I can do to help folks?"

DeletedUser31931

Sara left the office and went back to her room. When she heard the scream she stuck her head out of the door but saw that almost everyone else had gone to deal with it and therefore shut her door, who knows they could end up having the blame pinned on them and getting under suspicion in which case she could use them as scapegoats. She wasn't going to take the risk of getting in trouble anyway. She locked her door again, and then grabbed a glass of water from her bathroom before climbing back into bed again.

DeletedUser35174

"Oh bleeding dung, Ethan. That's not going to work. Harriet, it's me, Peadar. You're on Niflheimr, that ice planet straight out of Star Wars. You might be having a flashback. It's not real. I'm real, and I'm here for you. Tell me what you need me to do." said Peadar. The Irishman was probably right. Just then a man Ethan hasn't seen before came into the room asking anything he can do to help. " who are you...... never mind that. Just stay where you are and guard the door. Don't let anyone in who isn't wearing a uniform, oh and can you tell the guy with the robe to go look for help instead of just standing there". Ethan felt like a sergeant again commanding a squad. Difference is this time he's not leading 5 guys into a militarized base to retrieve a hard drive full of god knows what. Clearing all thoughts out of his mind he turned to his current situation and stared the girl sitting in the corner staring at them. Her eyes made it seem like she just came back out of hell, and who knows she might've.

DeletedUser28032

Harriet
"I...I am on Niflheimr?" she asked sounding confused and disorientated by everything that was going on around her "I didn't kill them you know, they say I did but I didn't...not...not all of them" she says in the same hysterical tone of voice as she looked imploringly at the two men for some reason desperately wanting them to believe her “Who’s he! He’s not here to take me away is he because I am not going you’re not taking me back there, I am not wearing yellow no more and you can’t make me You HEAR ME!” she screams at Ragnar, her terror seemingly replaced by rage.
Every night they came to her, the dead ones, accusing her in their whispering voices heard perfectly well over the screaming people, the sirens and the gunfire that seemed to follow her everywhere. Mei told her that they were just dreams, nightmares brought on by the trauma but Mei wasn’t here to calm her down nor were the doctors and the guards with their drugs and restraints to control her when they tipped her over the edge.
With a sudden clarity she was certain that the stranger had come to take her a way, had already taken Mei away from her…yes he was going to take her back to jail and make her wear yellow or even worse take her back to her father and that large country house in which she and her sister had grown up. Well she wasn’t going to go back and he couldn’t make her.
With a sudden and unexpected burst of energy Harriet leaps to her feet, tossing the useless knife away in the process and lunges for Ragnar fully intent on choking the life from him. She would show them what a Canary could do.
---------------------------------
Captain Speer
“What in god’s name is she doing now!” the South African man roared before beginning to run down the corridor closely followed by the other woman “Takes us to her room and tell us exactly what is happening!”

Status
Not open for further replies.