Below Absolute Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser31931

Seph acknowledged the man and then put down the phone on him before he could. Pulling out her personal computer she opened the map she'd downloaded onto it before she'd joined. She set off and arrived as the PA lady wrapped up her phone conversation, not seeing who else was there.

DeletedUser

"You're working for the MD and haven't reported in yet!? Friend you need to get to the admin block now!" Said the Nord.
Doemenic sighed, admitting defeat, he drained his glass and stood up. A little shakily, he waved goodbye to the others and walked out of the bar, heading for the admin block.
Weiland obviously hadn't noticed his absence, otherwise he would have summoned him via his comlink, right?
Taking he lift, he moved up to the admin block, located above the habitation quarters. It consisted of open, clean office withe the desks organized and partitioned off into quartets.
At the distant end was an empty glass paneled conference room, plus the offices of Mr Weiland and his PA.
He arrived at roughly the same time as the woman and the man with glasses, the receptionist smiled and finished her phone conversation.
"I am sorry about that, How can I help you?"
"Doemenic Jackson, reporting in." He replied, holding up his company ID, hoping that the receptionist wouldn't notice the slight slurring in his speech.

Deleted User - 819397

By the time Xenon managed to find his way to Mr. Weiland's office, the woman who wasn't a convict had already made it there. She was messing with a PDA and didn't seem inclined to talk, which was fine by him. When the receptionist got off the phone and asked what she could help them with, he stepped up before the woman could respond. "Mark Wells, here to see Mr. Weiland," he stated promptly. He knew that a lot of how he'd be treated would depend on these next few minutes, and he was determined to make a good impression. The fact that right as he made his introduction one of the others came in half drunk would definitely help that. "I did warn you, now didn't I?" he muttered at the man, pretending to be irritated. Might as well start acting the manager now, he figured.

DeletedUser13682

Maintenance, that would be good. A bit of fabrication, a bit of disassembly and assembly, all good things to know. Peadar accepted his locker key, and looked at it. 424, interesting. Peadar wondered what kind of protective clothing he would need. Probably just a hard hat and carbon fibre boots. Peadar hadn't worn any protective gear when he owned his store, not really needing it since most of the repair work was on small items that couldn't cause much more pain than a pinch.

As one of the other partiers got warned about not visiting Mr. Weiland, Peadar chuckled a bit. It was good to have the friendly boss who would have a drink with you. Peadar felt that Stieg was a guy you could go to if you had a problem or a party, and he'd be willing to help you out. As Peadar finished his drink, he thought that working here wouldn't be too bad at all.

DeletedUser28032

Admin
Replacing the phone to its cradle, the receptionist smiles at the group of newcomers as she speaks to them "Yes Mr Weiland is expecting you, please go on through to his PA's office and he'll call you when he's ready" she said pointing out the appropriate door before returning to her work.
As they crossed the office it was clear that the Admin department either wasn't very large or seldom used judging by the number of occupied desks compared to the number of empty ones.
The PA's office was small but nicely furnished, a frosted glass partition making up the back wall that separated it from the MD's office. in the middle of the room there was a spacious desk on which a computer shared space with both a printer and a fax machine with an expensive high backed leather chair sat in front of it, a pair of cheaper looking chairs obviously intended for the MD's visitors sat against a wall, wedged between a small end table and a potted plant.
"I don't care if it was last minute!...I want to know why there is a god damn G.I. in my facility!?" a mans voice only slightly muffled by the glass wall shouted, his silhouette pacing back and forth as he did so "Marshal!? what on earth is a....but that’s complete crap you know as well as I do that we completed a full survey....say that out loud again and you'll be speaking with our lawyers....damn right I am serious, now I don't care how you do it but get rid of him!" the sound of a crashing phone followed the outburst a few seconds later along with some ill tempered grumbling that none of those within the adjoining office could make out.
After a few moments of this the door was opened by a short middle aged man with wire framed glasses and a receding hairline "I am sorry about that but it would seem that the left hand failed to inform the right of certain... issues" the man spoke removing his spectacles and cleaning them with a handkerchief before replacing them on the bridge of his nose "If you would join me in my office we'll get started would anybody like anything to drink? Tea? coffee?"
-----------------------------------------------------
Isaac
Dressed in his dark blue security uniform Isaac entered the bar; scanning its interior for any sign of Ethan before spotting him sat with Stieg and a couple of the newcomers. Strolling up to them Isaac nods his head in greeting to Stieg before speaking to Ethan "Captain Speer is ready to see you now, if you would follow me" patiently waiting as the man made any goodbyes he then leads him out of the room and into a waiting lift and punching the button for the appropriate floor "I was kind of surprised when I saw you were joining us...you didn't seem the type" he spoke in a conversational tone of voice as the lift began to descend "Here you'd better take one of these, the Captain won't be happy if he smells beer on your breath" he said pulling a packet of chewing gum from out of his pocket and holding it out to the man "So tell me Ethan what made you leave the army?"
----------------------------------------------
Stieg
With the rather short and informal orientation meeting completed or at least as far as he was concerned the large Norwegain leaned back in his chair to get a view of the bar before shouting "Hey Andy! Get us four beers will you...oh and put it on my tab" to the barman as he held up four rather large fingers in his direction, the barman nodding in understanding.
"So tell me, which of you is the con? as Mr Weiland won't have criminals in his office and the commandant only uses a special kind of psycho for his little Stazi unit which leaves just you four...not that I’ll treat you any different I am just curious is all we get so little gossip out in these parts and we get all sort come to work for us" before any of them could answer though the bar tender; Andy arrived with a tray of beers and places them on the table before returning to the bar with a booming thank you chasing him all the way leading the others to believe that their new boss was naturally loud and not shouting at them as they had first thought.
Draining half of his pint in one go the large norse man places his glass upon the table before grinning at the group "so go on spill which one of you is it or is it a secret?"

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser35174

Ethan nodded to Dominic as he left to meet Mr Weiland. Again he drifted off away from the light conversations that were being held around him. This couldn't be that bad could it. It could mean a whole new start for him. Maybe even make a few friends. A skill he seemed to lost after the death of his brother in arms and a few other members of his platoon. He pushed away all thoughts and regrets. This wasn't the time or place for it. Just then Isaac came to the bar telling him Captain Speer was ready for him. "right" He said to Isaac and nodded to the others. "it was good meeting you man and thanks for the drink" he said nodding again to Stieg.

Once in the elevator with Isaac, Isaac mentioned he was surprised to find out he was joining them. "so was I" he replied with a chuckle. "oh cheers" he said as he received a chewing gum to mask his beer smells. He felt embarrassed now and regretted having that drink, his first impression was the most important. All that was out of his mind when Isaac asked him why he left the army. "I don't know you but since im gonna be working with you i might as well tell you. Most of the members in my platoon were killed defending a base while we were waiting for back up" He let out a deep breath as the events of that night was flashing in his mind "It never arrived. We were ambushed and only a handful of us managed to escape. A few weeks after that each one of us was assigned to a new platoon, but I couldn't do it anymore after that night. Also the fact that none of the other bodies were found didn't help at all. So me and some of my former platoon members left. I started worked for my uncle in my dad's old garage, and that is practically my life story" Ethan shoved the chewing gum into his mouth and was waiting to see what Isaac's reaction would be like.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The receptionist sent them through to the PA's office, on the way Doemenic couldn't help noticing the number of empty desks. Had Blackwater just finished a round of redundancies? Doemenic hadn't heard anything about that when he signed up. Either that, or there was something more sinister going on, and judging by everything else he'd seen so far...a G.I, masses of security, 'accidents'...
Lost in his train of thought, his foot connected with a trash container and he stumbled, the sound of his foot crashing into the metal bin resonating around the room.
He grimaced, hopefully no-one would notice that he was partly drunk.
They moved into the PA's office, where they waited for Mr. Weilland to summon them. However despite the glass partition they were able to hear parts of his phone conversation. He was talking about the G.I, apparently surprised and annoyed at his presence.
His last sentence was an instruction to get rid of him, presumably 'him' being the G.I. Well this was an interesting turn, maybe the G.I was a government investigator, assigned to find out whatever Blackwater were hiding.
Shortly afterwards the door was opened by Mr. Weilland, "I am sorry about that but it would seem that the left hand failed to inform the right of certain... issues." He said before cleaning his spectacles.
"If you would join me in my office we'll get started would anybody like anything to drink? Tea? coffee?"
"No sir, I'm fine thanks." Replied Doemenic, following Weilland into his office whilst trying to hide his slight stupor as best as he could.
Blackwater were definitely hiding something, and something very big and dangerous. Doemenic was going to find out what that was, and use it to his advantage.

DeletedUser28032

Isaac
He listened to the man's story as the lift descended waiting until he had finished before speaking "Where was this? Alaska? I only ask because I served there with the Rangers...that was one hell of a tour of duty" the words spoken in a tone of voice he used speaking volumes of the horrors experienced and the following nightmares.
The doors opened with a swishing sound and Isaac lead his charge out into the corridor, the grinding sound of heavy machinery coming through the walls as they went. Arriving at a heavy duty steel door with the word ARMOURY stencilled upon it, Issac stops and using his ID card swipes it through a reader and opens the door "Ah Issac, I see you've managed to find him good work" Captain Speer spoke as the two of them stepped through the door.
The room was small and resembled that of a staff room; a pair of threadbare sofas sat positioned around a currently dead TV and another four chairs sat around the single table about which a group of people were currently playing cards. The entire back wall was lined with lockers with names written on them in black marker pen and on the right hand wall an open door led into a small workshop area.
"Zipora take Ethan's ID card from him and get it chipped so that he can access this area will you?" Captain Speer spoke, the short woman they'd seen on the front desk getting up from the table and retrieving Ethan's ID before disappearing into the workshop "So Ethan, take a seat and lets get started, right as you My name is Manfred Speer and despite what upstairs think I run this place...your shift starts at six, Isaac here is going to be your partner, nothing too serious to begin with just a few patrols, your uniform and winter gear is in that back locker along with anything else that Jacko left in it" by the way that the Captain said the name it was clear that Jacko wouldn't be coming back for his stuff. Returning from the workshop the woman; Zipora hands Ethan his ID card, a small gold coloured chip now impregnated into the bottom corner "That chip will allow you access into practically any part of the facility so look after it, now is there anything you wish to ask me?"
-----------------------------------------
Mr Weiland
Seating himself behind a large and expensive looking desk the MD indicated that the others should take one of the three chairs sat in front of his desk before handing them each a small booklet "Here are your work packs inside of which you will find your work times, duties and company policies towards such things as clothing, lunch breaks and drink" the mans grey eyes lifting momentarily to look at Domenic before continuing "Now I have looked through all of your respective CV's and I am quite please with what I have seen, Mr Jackson you will be working primarily in the command centre..." the mans hands coming up to form inverted comma's around the word command centre as he spoke "...in which you will be responsible for maintaining the vital systems for this facility and the two satellite facilities, we'll also be getting you to do some IT work within the office when required though it should all be fairly straight forward for a man of your talents"

DeletedUser31931

Sera politely declined a drink before entering the office with the others. She listened politely and attentively. It was always a good idea to make good first impressions. If someone thinks you're good then it's a lot easier to pin the blame on someone-else. She wouldn't have any contact with her employer during the next five years she was stationed here though, as there wasn't a safe way to call. "What about me sir?" she asked after he had finished tell Dominic his duties. "Is there anything out of the ordinary about my work or will I just be doing normal PA work?"

DeletedUser

Doemenic listened to Weilland's explanation that his duties would be system maintenance in the ‘command’ (as Weilland had put it) centre and the odd IT problem. Hmm, Weiland’s air-quotation of ‘command’ threw up another mystery, so Weilland didn’t necessarily have control? Blackwater weren’t in command of their own facility?
Switching back to the issue at hand Doemenic opened his mouth to reply; “Yes sir. I’ll do my best.”

DeletedUser35174

Ethan nodded when Isaac asked was Alaska his last tour. Without another word he followed him out of the lift and towards a metal door with the word ARMORY engraved on it. Inside there was a sofa a TV and a single table surrounded by chairs in which a group of guards sat playing cards. The back wall was lined with lockers with names of guards written on them. Ethan stood straight and held his hands behind his back as Captain Speer talked to him. Ethan was pleased to hear that Isaac was to be his partner. He didn't mind the time on which his shift started to his that was late. In the marines he'd have to wake up as early as 3 in the morning most times. Speer pointed at what was to be Ethan's new locker. "your uniform and winter gear is in that back locker along with anything else that Jacko left in it" Ethan narrowed his eyes at the way Speer mentioned the name Jacko. He'd heard that tone of voice plenty of times before from commanding officers, Jacko whoever he was was either injured, deceased or is back home. The woman, Zipora returned and gave him his ID card back. He nodded in gratitude. "anything you wish to ask me" she asked. "no" he replied his mind still wondering at what might have happened to Jacko. If he was back in earth Ethan was sure Isaac would have mentioned it to him.

DeletedUser13682

Sipping the beer that was handed to him (a strange beer called Black Hole), Peadar listened to Stieg asking about which one of them was the criminal, and explaining why it could only be them. Peadar thought it interesting that he described Speer’s unit as Stasi. Propaganda about Northern Ireland compared the Ulster Constabulary to the Stasi, especially in their techniques for gathering scents. “You know Stieg, I think I might be the criminal here.” Peadar said with a laugh. “Back home, before I made engineering and machining my job, I was a soldier. Toward the end, things almost got hot between us and the Orange Irish. My unit was attacked by an Orange border patrol. Said we had crossed over to conduct sabotage. Belfast sent word to London, and they condemned my unit as criminals. Luckily for us, Ireland and Britain no longer have an extradition treaty. It expired shortly after the EU broke up. If you’re getting any info from London, or most of Europe actually, I’m the criminal. And all I did was defend myself against some Orange traitors.” Peadar shrugged. “That’s behind me now. I’m not a soldier anymore. I’m an engineer and a machinist. Maybe a musician sometimes.”

Deleted User - 819397

Xenon wasn't impressed by this Mr. Weiland. Typical corporate management, the man wasn't worthy of respect...he'd killed better men. However he kept his expression neutral (or neutral for him, meaning slight scowl) as he listened to the man pontificate. He idly looked over his "duties" as the man continued talking, wanting nothing more than to be back in his room to continue thinking.

(I'm leaving his duties up to you Braet...I'm not all that familiar with upper-management, and I also don't want to give Xenon of all people too much power without your permission hah)

DeletedUser28032

(OOC: I am keeping your jobs purposefully vague so as to keep things simpler)

Mr Weiland
Smiling as the young and startlingly attractive woman spoke he considered the question for all of a few moments before answering "Yes the work will comprise mainly of what you have been doing for your previous employers although I may send you on the odd errand here and there around the facility, perhaps even some off planet work should the need arise" however neither he or the small booklet he’d given her elaborated on what he meant by off planet work.
Quickly shuffling through the small, neat pile of paperwork before him he finally pulls out a single piece of paper and reads from it before addressing Mark "Mr Well's although we were unable to contact some of your references or in fact even locate which company they worked for we decided that your skills would be more than suitable for that of a branch manager within this facility and so we are giving you the day to day running of Alpha" he said referring to one of the small satellite facilities within which the bulk of the mining work was performed "...you'll be given a desk within the main office though truth be told you'll be spending most of your time within your own site office in Alpha, things have gotten fairly chaotic there as of late and so it will be good to have someone competent based there to straighten things out for us” he said replacing the piece of paper to the pile. Although the smile he offered looked pleasant enough there was something about it that wasn't quite right...it was almost like he knew or suspected something but was quite confident that he'd caught it early enough not to worry him, although having only just met the man it was hard to tell for sure "Now unless there is anything you wish to ask me you are all free to return to your afternoon off"
------------------------------------------
Captain Speer
"Well that’s good to hear but don't you hesitate to tell me if you have any problems, ANY problems...we look after our own here Ethan and we're happy to have you with us" Manfred replied looking Ethan straight in the eyes as he did so "Oh one last thing before you go...You wouldn't happen to know anything about this GI that’s turned up would you?"
-------------------------------------------
Harriet
Although the drink was beginning to go to her head already Harriet listened raptly as Peadar spoke of his time within the army and taking the rap for being the con in the process, the Large Norseman; Stieg nodding his head in understanding before simply stating "I only heard it through the grape vine, god knows where it originated from...besides I won't hold it against you we get all sorts here and you wouldn't be the only criminal out here…just wanted to see if the rumour was true" Stieg’s statement leading Harriet to believe that it was true what they'd said back in prison; that the off world colonies had become the new place for criminals to lay low and with the added bonus that you weren’t liable to get shot like in the Foreign Legion.
As Stieg got up to order another round of drinks Harriet leans across to Peadar to speak to him in a low voice, her words slurring slightly from the drink "Thank you...I am not quite ready for everybody to know what I did just yet" although they would all find out eventually, it was only a small facility and word would get out eventually you couldn't keep a story like hers secret for long but perhaps she could delay its coming out.
Placing another tray of drinks before them the sight of the fresh pint causing Harriet to go rather pale, Stieg grins broadly at the group before turning to Olaf and asking in his loud booming voice "So tell me friend where abouts in Norway did you come from? I myself lived just outside of Bergen before coming out here to this frozen rock...oh well only another two years to go"

Apelatia

Blackwater Industries - Off-World Operative Application Form

Name: Ragnar Gíslason

Nationality: Icelandic

Former occupation (If Any): Coast Guard Patrol, Baker

Physical Description (Including identifying marks such as Scars, tattoos and birthmarks): Medium height (about 5”8), with brown, curly hair. Ragnar has a muscled build. He has brown eyes and a scar down his left arm.

Do you have any skills or hobbies?:
Skills: Baking and cooking (2), CPR (1), Brave (1), Talkative (1), Stealth (2), Quick-thinking (1)
Flaws: Nosey (-2), Lying (-1)

Personal Items (Note: all items must be able to fit inside a single hold all bag. Warning! Any offensive weapons or contraband discovered will be confiscated): Spare clothes, wash gear, netbook, memento of his late brother, basic cooking utensils, flashlight, and a jar of homemade honey (Given to him by his mother before he left).

Tell us a little about yourself?: Ragnar grew up in Reykjavik with his parents and his brother. He was very close to his younger brother, who died after drowning when Ragnar was 15. Ragnar determined to join the Icelandic Coast Guard as soon as he was old enough. He went through all the training and joined the Coast Guard when he came of age. Soon getting bored of his job with the Coast Guard, he became an apprentice at a bakery, where he eventually became a full time worker. This job is a chance for him to have an adventure...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The shuttle journey had been rather uneventful for Ragnar. He had sat in a chair positioned in the corner of the room and had listened to the guide as she gave her briefing. After this, he had seen the woman: Harriet, he later learned, make a break for the door. He didn't know where she wanted to go, but it was obvious from the start that she wouldn't get anywhere. The big marine had stopped her in her tracks with a simple move. Ragnar was intrigued by how the marine had stopped her with such ease! One day he would ask him about it.

Soon, they were all told to move into the shuttle. Ragnar began to feel the horrible effects of the deep sleep which he had been suspended in. The need to vomit welled up inside him, making him feel dizzy. He took a seat on his own, away from the others and fell asleep again.

He was awakened by a sudden jolt, signalling that they had arrived. Ragnar pushed himself up from the chair, and walked out with the others. The intense cold he experienced as soon as he stepped outside was colder than he would have imagined it being. He shivered, while watching three men walking towards them. They gave the group a short briefing, then took them inside. Once inside the door, Ragnar suddenly blacked out and fainted.

DeletedUser

Mr Weilland explained the jobs to each of them in turn, before asking if there was anything else they wanted to know. Doemenic almost opened his mouth, tempted to ask about all the weirdness around, the G.I, the 'accidents' etc etc. He stopped himself, realising that Weilland would never give him a straight answer, and might then place him under observation. Or something. Yeah, better to go straight to the source.
Nodding his head Doemenic stood up and moved out of the office. Might as well go back to the bar and enjoy the afternoon.

DeletedUser28032

Ragnar
"Hello?...Mr. Gislason can you hear me?" the kindly voice asked from somewhere to his right, a cool and slightly damp sensation across his forehead helping him to come around.
He was laid upon a bed within a small curtained off area lit by bright fluorescent lighting, sat beside him was a short Asian woman dressed a white coat and medical scrubs with her hair dyed a dark purple colour tied back in ponytail "How are you feeling Mr. Gislason? you took a bit of a bang to your head when you passed out" she said in slightly accented English as she checked his pupils with a small pen light momentarily dazzling him as she did so "Well there doesn't seem to be any signs of concussion so you should be ok, Oh and my name is Keiko Ihara its a pleasure to meet you" she said with a smile before rising from her seat to draw back the pale blue curtain surrounding his bed to reveal the rest of the near deserted medical bay in fact with the exception of Keiko, another doctor who was treating the burns on a mans arm he had the place to himself.
"Now I'd like you to take these, they should deal with any further side effects of the deep sleep, also I have your things, Zipora was kind enough to drop them off for you" she said handing him a pair of pale green pills and some water in a paper cup before placing his cards and room key onto the bed "I've already informed your boss that you won't be showing up today but if you feel up to it you can leave as soon as your ready...just try and avoid drinking too much alcohol the pills won't like it and I’d hate to see you here a second time today"

Apelatia

Ragnar woke up to the sound of a voice calling his name and asking if he could hear him. He slowly opened his eyes, blinking at the light above him. "Yeah, I can hear you alright," he answered. He noticed that there was another person in the room. A woman, by the looks of it, with Asian origins. The nurse then asked him how he was feeling. "I feel fine thank you! Actually, I've never felt more alive!" She informed him that he had taken a bang to his head when he had fallen, but that, thankfully there were no signs of concussion. She then got up from examining him and drew back the blue curtain that surrounded his bed. He noticed that there was only one other patient in the room. He looked like he had severe burns. I wonder how he got them...

The nurse gave him some pills to take immediately, warning him that any alcohol intake wouldn't help his cause to recover fully. He took a mental note not to drink anything for the next few days. She informed him that she had already talked to his new boss and excused him from having to report in that day, and that his bags were ready and waiting beside the bed for him.

Ragnar lay where he was for a few more minutes before getting out of bed. He picked up his cards and room key, which the nurse had put on the bed for him. Collecting his bags, he walked out of the medical centre and found his way to the habitation block where his room was. 105 was the number on his key. He didn't have a clue which rooms the others from his group were staying in, though he would find that out soon enough of course... Just a few questions here and there and he would know what he wanted to know...

Unlocking the door to his room, he walks in and familiarizes himself with where everything is. After putting the stuff from his carry bag in suitable places, he sits down on the bed to try and remember the names of the people he was travelling with. Now, there was Ethan, Harriet, Olaf...

DeletedUser13682

Peadar nodded at Stieg. "Don't worry about it, Stieg. Just two different sides of an unfortunate war that should have been settled nearly 200 years ago. I blame it on the Normans, though." Peadar finished his drink and waited for the next round. While waiting in silence, Harriet thanked him for taking the blame. He contemplated telling Harriet that he hadn't meant to take the 'heat' but Peadar didn't want Harriet angry at him (why she would be didn't enter Peadar's mind). "No problem. Us Northern Islanders have to stick together, even though there's bad blood between our people. That war isn't here." It was then that Peadar had to think of a new topic. Stieg was talking with Olaf leaving Harriet and Peadar to make conversation. "Science huh? What do you think you'll be doing there?"

DeletedUser28032

Harriet
Valiantly picking up the fresh drink despite the fact that she knew she would suffer for it later she takes a mouthful of the drink before replying to Peadar’s question "Soil sampling most likely and other...geology...type stuff" she said vaguely the man that had come to see her in prison hadn't been overly precise on the details only that she would probably be called upon to do medical work if they got short staffed "Probably a little R&D work here and there depending on how much they trust me" though considering they had fitted her with a bracelet probably not very much.
Taking her time with her drink already feeling the effects of the first two she talks with the others about the table before deciding to call it a night, though this was more due to her curfew than her desire to leave "I should probably go and get some sleep now, though it has been nice talking with you all" she slurs to the group however upon trying to rise finds herself incapable of walking, collapsing back into the chair heavily "could...could one of you help me back to my room...I...I think I've had a little too much to drink" she said rather sheepishly realising how silly she must be looking at this point in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.