Below Absolute Zero

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser35174

Ethan found Dominic in the bar once he found it, enjoying a whiskey. The bar itself was decorated in a mid 20th century theme. There also was a pool table, jukebox and a dance floor for the people to enjoy. "hiya there" Ethan greeted Dominic "what do you think of this place?". He turned towards the bartender and, ignoring his facial features politely asked for a beer before turning back to Dominic.

DeletedUser

"Hiya there." Doemenic looked around to see the marine approach, and order a beer. Doemenic nodded in acknowledgement as he took a refreshing gulp of his whiskey.
What was the marine's name again? He couldn't remember,k had he even mentioned it? Oh, never mind.
"What do you think of this place?"
Doemenic put his whiskey down on the bartop. "It's alright. Dunno what's up with the wood paneling. Drinks are fine though, and that's all that matters." He picked his whiskey up and took another refreshing gulp.
As the barman moved to serve one of the other patrons, Doemenic leaned in towards the marine. "What's up with the barman over there?" He said, indicating the man's pale skin and somewhat un-nerving eyes.

DeletedUser35174

"It's alright. Dunno what's up with the wood paneling. Drinks are fine though, and that's all that matters." was Dominic's reply to Ethan's earlier question. As the barman was walking to serve someone else Dominic leaned in and asked what was up with the barman. "your guess is as good as mine, but if i didn't know any better i would say he hasn't seen sunlight in a good while" Ethan replied to Dominic.

DeletedUser

Olaf almost walked straight passed the bar. He had been right behind Dominic and had thought he would at least be second to get a drink but then he had lost himself to thoughts of his wife and how her treatment might be going. He had resolved to right to her that very night before returning his thoughts to reality and discovering he was completely lost.

'Ah' he bellowed as he noticed the right room. 'Get there in the end.'
He approached the bar first, 'Ale if you be having it. If not whisky.' He then grabbed whichever drink he had been given and moved over to the jukebox. There had to be something better on it. Something with a little more rock.

'So what we talkin' about?' He shouted over to the others at the bar jovially.

DeletedUser13682

As Running Back ended, Peadar had realized that they were meeting at the bar, not his room. He quickly threw on a pair of jeans, a tricolour tshirt, and a pair of trainers, and left the room, allowing the record to continue playing. Peadar headed out to the bar, meeting two of their group. The wet blanket wasn't there. "Glad to see not everyone is a snob," Peadar said to the group. "I'll have a Guinness," Peadar said to the barman. "I've already had some spirit." After getting a good look at the barkeeper, Peadar turned to the other two. "Something is different about that man. Remember that master race thing that was big in the 1930s? Barkeeper reminds me of that. The blue eyes, blonde hair, pale skin. You think he's an artificial?" Just then, the Nord joined. "Eric the Red! I've been expecting you. I asked about the barkeeper. He seems a bit too artificial. What do you think?"

DeletedUser28032

Harriet
"He's a skin...you know an android?" the female voice spoke in reply to the groups query over the barman. She didn't know how long she had lain on her bed crying only that once she had finished that she needed some company even if they didn't particularly like her...well with perhaps the exception of Peadar but he seemed to be everyone’s friend.
Walking over to the bar she orders a whiskey and hands over her credit card to the barman who swipes it through the reader and hands it back to her along with her drink "Do you guys mind if I join you? you'll have to keep an eye on me though as I haven't had a drink in the best part of five years" she spoke to the group trying her best to hide her nerves as she did so, not particularly sure what she would do if they said no...Probably start crying again if earlier was anything to go by.

DeletedUser35174

Ethan took another gulp out of his beer when Harriet walked into the bar. Like Dominic she orders a whiskey, to Ethan's surprise she walks over to them and asks them can she join them. "sure why not" Ethan replied to her with a nod before taking another gulp out of his beer. It was nearly finished. Before drinking the last bit of beer in the bottle Ethan walked over to the bartender and paid for the drink. Walking back to his seat he drank what was left of the beer and took his seat once more. He sighed and turned towards Harriet "I think we might have got off on the wrong foot , i'm Ethan" he said as he held out his hand for a handshake.

DeletedUser13682

Immediately after receiving his Guinness, Peadar nearly drops the bottle when a woman’s voice startled him. He turned around to see that Harriet had arrived. Apparently she had overheard their talk about the barkeeper, and explained that he was an android. “I knew it,” Peadar said. “One of those Rosen types I bet. Seems good quality.” Peadar nodded. “Anyway, welcome to the party. Sit down, enjoy yourself. Have some drink. Barkeeper, a Guinness for Harriet.” Peadar thought a moment, then changed his mind. “That’s right; you’re an Anglo. Barkeeper, a Newkie Brown for Harriet!” After another moment of thought: “Maybe you should decide. But if what you say is really true, five years without a drink? Not sure how you made it. Anyway, if you can’t decide, I recommend the Guinness. Maybe after you’ve gotten used to the alcohol, we can take off the training wheels, get some spirit in ya.”

DeletedUser

Olaf walked back from the jukebox and joined the others at the bar. He couldn't quite follow what Peader was saying due to the garbled speed which he said it but he did get the just and laughed as he moved up beside him.

'If it is introductions, I is Olaf.' He held out his hand in greeting then turned his attention to Hariet.' Good to see you join us lass.'

DeletedUser28032

Harriet
"You think!?" She replied just a little too caustically to Ethan's comment about them getting off to a bad start, still smarting from the failed escape attempt Calm down Harriet you're not in prison anymore there’s no need to be quite so aggressive. Closing her eyes she takes a single deep breath before opening them again and returning Ethan's handshake "Sorry, My name is Harriet Elizabeth Lynch, Disinherited daughter of Conrad Lynch...a pleasure to meet you" she spoke trying her best to be friendly a somewhat unfamiliar sensation for her. As she shook hands with the marine the prison tattoo of a Chinese style dragon could be seen covering her entire right arm from wrist to shoulder.
With her re-introduction with the marine out of the way she takes a seat next to the Irishman and looking slightly perplexed as she tried to follow what he was saying a feat made even more difficult by the speed with which he spoke and his accent "Truth be told I was more concerned about the bullets than being sober at the time" she joked lightly, taking a sip of her drink and screwing up her face at its strength, not that it stopped her from taking another mouthful straight afterwards.
--------------------------------------------------
The Biker
"Scarr!, McManus! Where the hell are you?" the man roared upon entering the room drawing all eyes towards him as he did so. All of the mans hair had been shaved off save for his eyebrows and the black goatee that was plaited into a single thick rope which combined with his 6'5" in height and with the physique of a pro-wrestler causing him to easily tower over everybody else within the bar gave him the look of a Viking warrior as he strode towards the group of newcomers, the pair of oil-stained overalls tied about his waist and plain white t-shirt that showed off the plethora of tattoos covering his arms it was clear that he had come straight from work without changing "There you are, you two were supposed to report in to me!" he roared upon locating the two men and glaring down at them "Now that I've found you lets get this over with then we can get back to drinking...next round is mine".
-----------------------------------------------
Mark Wells
After lying on his bed for some time Mark was disturbed by the sound of the phone going off. Upon picking it up he would hear a mans voice on the other end "Hello Mr Wells?...Mr Weiland would like to see you as soon as possible for your orientation meeting" with his short message said he hung up the phone leaving Mark in silence once more.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

"Now that I've found you lets get this over with then we can get back to drinking...next round is mine" said the man Olaf assumed must be their new boss. At least the man was a worker and not a suit. For that he was thankful. You always knew where you stood with workers. After all, Olaf had been a foreman a few years before this and he knew the firm but fair approach. He just silently prayed that the man was indeed fair and not just another ogre with power, though something about the man made him think they would be okay.

The man seemed happy to let the issue of not reporting in to drop so Olaf chose not to draw attention to it and instead said, 'You be Stieg then? Good to be meeting you sir.'

DeletedUser13682

More concerned with bullets? What kind of place did this woman come from? "I feel sorry for you, Harriet. My friends and I, we were more concerned with getting drink than the bullets. And the bombs. So long as they didn't blow up any of the pubs, we were alright." Peadar had to suppress a bout of laughter from witnessing Harriet react so strongly to a bottle of Guinness. "You have been on the wagon way too long. May I be the first to welcome you back to the dusty road. May the party go on." Peadar finished his bottle, and nearly dropped it a second time that night when a loud voice called his name, and the Nord's name.

If Olaf was a Nord, this guy was a super Nord. Over six feet tall, more muscular than Magni, the plethora of tattoos, this guy was not someone to mess with. And it turned out that Peadar and Olaf had messed with him. The way he asked for them, this guy could only be Stieg Ericson, their boss. Usually it was a bad idea start off on bad terms with your boss, and Peadar and Olaf had started off on some of the worst terms you could think of. Peadar's only hope that he didn't know what they looked like were destroyed when he walked right to them, and informed them that they were supposed to report to him, accompanied with a glare that carried the intensity of a thousand burning suns. Before Peadar could say he thought that was tomorrow and maybe save his life, all his fears were dispersed with a friendly let's get this over with next round's on me. "Pleasure to meet you, boss. I'm Peadar. I make mechanical parts, assemble them, and repair them when needed."

DeletedUser31931

Sera took her key and headed to her room. She was in room 114, right next to the man who was meant to be an executive she noted. It could be useful to win him over. However, right now she had to get acquainted with Mr Weiland. She lay her stuff down and quickly checked for bugs, she did a thorough search and came up with nothing, not even audio and she was thorough. With that done she lay down on bed and pulled out her pocket computer. She put in the password and opened a document. It was a ready made legal document, more boring than watching paint dry. She skipped down the first twenty pages and then in code started writing down her initial thoughts and plans, in code of course, a code that only she knew. To be honest, the computer was unhackable (or rather, if you tried to hack it, it would blow up in your face, that computer was her life) but precautions had always worked well for her. She made some more notes and as she was writing kept an ear open for the phone-call telling her to go meet Mr Weiland.

DeletedUser

After Olaf, the Irishman and the Canary had entered the bar, the Canary explained that the barman was a 'skin'. Otherwise known as an android. Doemenic had seen androids before, but the ones that had worked as cleaners in the various corporations he'd worked at had been even less convincing.
The Irishman kept speaking in rapid flurries of words, not all of which Doemenic caught as he continued to drink his whiskey. Ah...the drink, it felt good. It took away the pain. He'd never really been an alcoholic since after...well, that was why he drunk wasn't it?
By the time the massive Nord came in Doemenic was on his third bottle, and his eyes were already losing focus.
The Nord was a giant, strapping man, undoubtedly an engineer. He made a beeline for the Irishman and Olaf. As the three began to talk, Doemenic turned away, downed his glass and ordered another one. Hopefully Mr. Weilland wouldn't call for him until tomorrow, for now, he just needed one more drink, and maybe another after that.

Deleted User - 819397

"Wait! Where am I to...damn it," Xenon cursed as the line went dead. "Don't even bother to tell me where I'm meeting the man." Still, there was no point in ignoring the summons...this meeting was his only obligation today, so it'd be smart to get it out of the way. He'd just ask the first person he met where this Mr. Weiland's office was. He had no other option, as he didn't know any numbers. Sighing in mild frustration, he left the room and started walking towards the lift, thinking that it was as good a place to start as any.

DeletedUser28032

Harriet
"Yes...well I spent much of my early life either behind bars or being shot at" Harriet replied sheepishly as she took another mouthful of her drink. She'd never exactly done the drunken party girl thing as her father had been rather protective and just a little controlling of his daughters and it hadn't been until she'd met Ricky her ill fated boyfriend that she'd drunk anything stronger than a single glass of wine.
Hearing the bellowing roar of the tattooed giant as he entered the bar Harriet’s eyes instantly drop to the drink in her hand so as not to make eye contact with the man. In prison she'd learnt very quickly that some people you could push around and those that if they told you to do something you did it before they beat seven bells out of you, this man was most certainly the latter.
-------------------------------
Stieg
"That I am my friend" Stieg replied to Olaf's query, dragging a chair over to join them "my name is Stieg Erickson and you'll be working for me; work starts at six, finishes at five unless they need you to work late" the look on the large mans face making it very clear that they would be working late and yes he knew it was a pain in the neck to do so "Here are you're locker keys inside you will find you're PPE which you'll need to be wearing before entering the bus or you will be sent home without pay understood? Now due to numbers we are required to double up on some jobs and rotate others however for now Peadar I want you working maintenance and Olaf I am going to put you into one of the big mining rigs, now are there any questions?” it was as he waited to see if either of his new charges would ask him anything that he notices the other three people seated at the table; a military type, a nerd part the way through his third drink and some kind of punk judging by her hairstyle and tattoos “You’re new here aren’t you? I take it you’ve all reported in already?” he asked the three misfits already fully expecting the answer to be no “I did my induction back on earth” the punk replied quietly, her posh British accent completely throwing him as it was not what he’d expected considering her appearance, it was also the first time he’d heard of somebody being inducted back on earth causing him to wonder why she’d received such treatment “So what about you guy… who are you working for?”
------------------------------------
Sara
She didn’t have to wait too long until the phone began to ring, upon picking it up she heard a male voice on the other end of the line “Hello Miss Rukin? Mr Weiland would like to see you in his office for your orientation meeting as soon as possible” the man waited just long enough for her to say ok before hanging up the phone.

DeletedUser35174

Ethan sat and watched the ground remembering his first drink when he was 14. When he walked home that night and got caught by his parents, he expected a huge argument and a few slaps but surprisingly none of that happen. His dad just took him to the garage and told him drunks and alcoholics ruin their life and do stupid things that they will regret for the rest of their lives. He then asked Ethan to promise him never to drink again until hes overage and the law allowed him to. It was one of the few memories Ethan had of his parents and he was always proud of himself when remembering it, he did keep his promise and didn't drink until he was 22. It was then when the big man came barging through to the bar, luckily for Olaf and Peadar he was in good humor and declared the next round was on him. Ethan sat staring at the ground again as the big man,Stieg Erickson Told Olaf and Peadar what their job assignment was and then work started. Stieg got into conversation with Harriet about her induction, it was only after that that Ethan figured he was talking to him and Dominic when he asked who are you working for?
"oh, I'm working for Captain Speer" Ethan replied to Stieg.

DeletedUser

''Olaf I am going to put you into one of the big mining rigs, now are there any questions?” said Steig and Oaf smiled back.

'Thank you sir. I be glad to be doing work I know.' It was true, Olaf had been dreading been thrown in over his head but rigs were as familiar to him as his own mother. He looked over to Leader to see if the othe man had any questions but he also made a mental note to limit his drinking and get an early night. You needed your senses when handling such dangerous equipment.

DeletedUser

“You’re new here aren’t you? I take it you’ve all reported in already?”The Nord asked. The Canary replied that she'd been inducted back on Earth. Strange. Doemenic didn't answer, instead necking the remaining whiskey in the glass.
“So what about you guy… who are you working for?” He said, asking Doemenic and the marine, who replied that he would be working for Captain Spear. Putting his glass aside, Doemenic spoke; "I'm working for Mr Weilland." He replied, his words ever so slightly slurred. Could people not leave him to a drink in peace?

DeletedUser28032

Stieg
Upon hearing Ethan's reply that he was working for Captain Speer the large mans expression became somewhat wary the same way you would if a large snake had just appeared within your room "Speer eh? Well he's probably picked you personally if you've got that detail" Stieg like his predecessor Mack didn't like or trust Speer or his cronies and made a note to keep an eye on the man before him and see what happened.
However as the other man slurred that he was working for Mr Weiland his wariness instantly turned to shock "Your working for the MD and haven't reported in yet!? Friend you need to get to the admin block now!" if he was lucky Mr Weiland wouldn't notice that the man was half gone and if he did notice...well...a bad first impression was better than being fired for not turning up.
-----------------------------------
The Admin Block
Located on the floor above the habitation blocks, the admin block consisted of a nicely furnished open plan office with the desks formed into clusters of fours with partitions around the outside of them.
at the far side of the office there was a large glass walled meeting room that was currently empty and a door that led to the offices of both Mr Weiland and his PA.
Immediately in front of the main door into the office there stood the reception desk; the middle aged woman behind it currently taking notes whilst speaking to somebody on the phone. Looking up at those that arrived she smiles and holds up a single finger before wrapping up her phone conversation and addressing them "I am sorry about that, How can I help you?"

Status
Not open for further replies.