Bank robbing activity

DeletedUser

Proposal
Players could be able to rob banks of other players towns.

Current Workaround
-

Details
Yes, I know that this has been suggested before but I think my idea is pretty different than the others and the last time bank robbing was proposed was a few years ago, if I remember correctly.
I just think that we should get bank robbing activity in this game, after all, this is The West! ;)

So here is the idea, hope you have time to read it, because you should read this through to understand my idea completely:

People could be able to rob banks.

1) SET UP
- Leader can travel to any town (more than 10,000 town points) and click "Plan robbery -icon"
- Then he can "invite" others to join this robbery.
- The minimum number of people needed to rob a bank is three, and the maximum is 5.
- Everyone of the gang has to have a own horse/donkey. (No walking)
- Every player can carry about 3000$ (When the robbers are in the bank, and they have opened the safe, they can take about 500$ / round for the safe, providing they are close enough to the safe. Only 50%-75% of the towns treasury can be robbed.)
- Every gang member has to take his own money from the safe, or he will not get anything.

2) COLLECTING SUPPLIES BEFORE THE ROBBERY
- There are some essential items the robbers can utilize in order to rob the bank.
- These essentials are: Toolbox (used in lockpicking door/safe), dynamite (used in blowing door/safe up), map (used in "scouting"), spade (used in digging your way in the bank) and sledgehammer (used in smashing door/safe).
- The items has to be equipped before the leader starts the robbery. The items can´t be switched to other items during the robbery. But the palyers can switch their items with eachother, and take the items of their KOed buddies, if necessary.

3) THE ROBBERY
- The gang just has to gather at the town they are going to rob. When all the players are in that town, leader can click the "start robbery -icon". (Don´t forget to equip the items you think you´re going to need. Scouting can help deciding which items to bring with)
- Then a mini-game (about the same as the fort fighting) starts and they must choose their starting position. The game has rounds just like FFs (1-2 mins / round). Players just move like in FFs and try not to get spotted. The "robbery map" consist of some random buildings (give bonuses like in FFs), the hotel and maybe the other areas for "sleeping people" (explained further), and of course the bank.
How to get spotted?:
People who are in their own town, can set up a position in the "robbery map". They can set this position always when they are in the town. The idea is that they don´t know about the robbery, but if the robbery happens, their characters are standing in these places, even if they don´t know yet that a robbery is going on in their town. This place can be set in any place except inside the bank. And the people who are sleeping at that town ("The sleepers"), can only set their position in a certain area, which is somewhere in the hotel, or maybe there are couple of these areas. It is the testers job to test this, if this idea is accepted :laugh:.
So the idea is that when the robbery begins, only the robbers can see this "robbery map". But if they get spotted, then the defenders can see it aswell and move their characters around if online. The spotting mechanics work like this: Robbers can see the defenders all the time. Buildings block line of sight. If a robber gets in the LOS of a defender, then their skills are put into action: Robbers hiding, and defenders appearance(maybe). If this happens, a random number is taken from both the robber and defender (more skill, bigger number). The distance also affects -> greater the distance, more difficult to spot. If the robber had bigger number, he doesn´t get spotted. But if he gets, then the defenders can see all of the robbers too, and the robbery continues like a FF (Skills and everything are the same, but the robbers can still pick locks, dig and things like that).
The robbers can also get spotted because of noise: Every door-opening method makes some noise (and digging makes also a little noise). This noise is like a circle in the map. The more silent the noise is, the smaller the circle. Hiding skill can reduce these circles little bit.

So the robbers need to steal money from the safe of the bank. There is three ways inside the bank:
1) Front door ("the sleepers" position is near this so they can see it easily)
2) Back door ("The sleepers don´t have good LOS, but the other people can position themselves to see this door)
3) Digging. This can be used everywhere in the "robber map" so that people may not notice robbery at all , but this is very slow. Every robber can dig the same spot at the same time. More labour points, easier (faster) it is to dig. Skills used are 2x vigor, 2x stamina, 1x toughness. Spade has to be equipped. The greater the tunnel, the more time it takes to complete it (very slow method). But this method is very silent.

Doors and the safe can be opened in three ways:
1) by lockpicking: The more Labour points, the easier. Skills are: 3x fine motor skills, 2x toughness. The person who tries to pick a lock has to have a toolbox equipped. Only one player can attempt to pick the same door´s/safe´s lock at the same time. This method is pretty silent but it has a a very big luck factor involved: it can take only couple of rounds, or it can take very many rounds.
2) by smashing: the more labour points, the easier. Skills are: 3x vigor, 2x stamina. Sledgehammer has to be equipped. Three players can smash the same door/safe at the same time. It makes pretty much noise and with only one player, can take many rounds, but with three good palyers, might only take a couple of rounds.
3) by blowing them up: the more LPs, the easier. Skills are: 3x Reflex 2x repairing. Dynamite has to be equipped. Only one player needs to plant TNT to destroy any door/safe. Alerts every defending player in the town directly but the planting is pretty fast and the explode only takes one round.

When the robbers are in the bank and opened the safe. They can start to take money out of it. One player takes about 500$ / round, if close to the safe. When taking money out of the safe, the palyer can´t shoot if there are enemies nearby. he has to stop taking money, if he wants to shoot back (maybe a little icon: Stop). Every player can carry about 3000$ but there of course might not be so much money in the town´s treasury. Only 50%-75% can be taken out of the towns treasury.

When the robbers are ready to leave, they just need to get back to the starting point, they had chosen (where their horses are) and everyone can click "Ride away -icon" (So actually players don´t need to leave at the same time: different tactics can be used). When a player leaves, his hiding skill is compared to the appearance skill of the defenders: A random number is taken between -50 and +50 of the hiding skill of the robber (if he has 250 hiding, the range is 200-300). And the defenders appearance might be calculated something like this: Every defending member´s appearance is taken and added to the other defenders´ appearance value, then the sum is divided by the number of the defenders -1 (Or some other good number. Should be tested like this whole consept.). So if the appearance sum of all the defenders is for instance 507, and there is 7 defenders, the final value is 507/(7-1) = 84,5 (rounding) = 85. If the hiding value of the escaping robber (Leader`s potential hiding bonus is added too) is bigger, he escapes without problem and gets the money (providing he hasn´t been spotted earlier in the same robbery: if the defenders are alert, this damage-thingy I´ll explain next will be little bigger). But if his value is less than the defenders`, he gets spotted and this is what happens then: All the remaining robbers in the are are spotted aswell (So now the defenders actually know, that their bank is under attack, and they can move their characters´ around if they are online at the time). But this is not all. The escaping robber (they who clicked the ride away -icon and got spotted) is also hit depending on luck and the number of defenders, something like this: the highest possible damage of all of the (remaining, not the KOed ones) defender´s fort weapons is calculated (So the outcome is something like: 3500 for instance), and 25%-50% of this damage is inflicted (depending on his luck, if the defenders were alert [meaning that somebody was spotted earlier in the same robbery] they inflict 50%-75%) to the escaping robber. If he gets KOed, he loses all of his cash (including robbed cash) and wakes up in jail (more details further). If he doesn´t get KOed he can escape without problems, BUT he loses 50% of his robbings (The idea is that the robber has to dumb some of the money, so he can run faster. Also prevents Tank-players to easily rob much money and then just escape easily without fear of KO)

But what if they get caught?
If a robber gets KOed in the robbery (or because of attempting to escape), they will be put in jail of the banks town, and they lose all their cash (including robbings). They have to be there for 8-24 hours (What would be a good time?) without doing anything. Then they are freed and life goes on normally...:cool:

Scouting:
The more LPs, the easier. Skills used are 2x Stamina, 2x Hiding, 1x tactics. The player has to be accepted in the robber gang (Leader has invited him) and then he can scout before the actual robbery (He can scout the town where the bank is anytime he wants if he is accepted to a robber gang, even multiple times. But he can´t scout while in the "robbery map") and he has to have a map equipped, and then he can press "Scout this town" -button. If someone scouts, he can´t change is product-slot, so he can´t equip any other essential robbing item.
Every town has "anti-scouting points". Those depend on the points of the town: Less than 10,000 ->can´t be scouted AND can´t be robbed at all, 10-20,000-> 100 points, 20-30,000-> 200 points, 30-40,000-> 250 points and + 40k-> 300 points.
Scouting is done like this: After the player clicks the scouting button a random number is taken (these depend on the LPs of the scouter: the range of the number that is taken is -50 and +50 of the LPs. So if he has 250 LPs, the random number is taken on the range of 200-300), and if this number is bigger than the protection of the town, the town is scouted and the scout can see all the people in the town and also their positions. This info is automatically shared with other robbers in that robber gang.
- If the town they are going to rob wasn´t scouted before the robbery, a "fog of war" is enabled for the robbers (And of course the defenders can´t still take part in the robbery, until someone gets spotted), so they must "manually" scout the "robbing map" by moving around if they do not fear of spotting.

THE LEADER
- Leader is the most important robber and he is also the brains behind the robbery. The other members only have hiding to affect their skills (and of course the other skills for instance if they try to pick a lock). Thats why you can have anykind of gang you want to rob the bank, and you can utilize different tactics. ;)
- The more LPs the leader has the better he can act. Skills used are 2x tactics, 2x leadership, 1x reflex (and of course hiding affects also but not in this "bonus-thingy" I´m going to explain). He gives a 10% bonus (of his LPs: if he has 500 LPs, he gives 50 hiding) to the nearby friendlies to their hiding skill. Also to his own hiding skill.

Hopefully this wasn´t too painful to read, because I have horrible english... :laugh:
And please tell me what do you think about this and tell if you have something to make this better.

EDIT: Exp is of course also granted for both, defenders and robbers. There is also a change to find some items.

Abuse Prevention
Tanks-players could use their massive HP-pool to simply run fast to the bank and blow the door and the safe, take as much money as he can and just leave. But if he does this (alerts the town of the robbery) he may lose 50% of the loot he robbed and the potential damage that can be inflicted is actually pretty much bigger than for the "sneaky-guys". (Some other guy can sneak without alerting the defenders, and he has no such big problems losing money/HP even if spotted)

Visual Aids
-

Summary
This idea would bring more depth in the game, mainly in the mid to late game. The range of the player´s builds could also be little broader because of this idea.

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes/No (?)
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? Yes/No (?)

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

After three lines of Set Up, it already feels way too complicated. The whole safe house concept alone is an unnecessary complication that doesn't feel like an Old West bank robbery, but a modern heist.

You also need to follow these: Guidelines for Posting [READ FIRST]

DeletedUser

Nice Idea and I like how you have so much info on how it would come about. Just one thing those the old town would have there town build up and the new town would not be build because ever time the have money in the bank it would be Robbed. So to have this be fare to both new and old towns Maybe a NCP town could be set up to be the one getting Robbed inset of letting the older town pick on the new town. also if you wand the staff to take a look you need to put it in the right form mate witch you can find here: http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=30480 good luck hope this idea go to a vote.

DeletedUser

I change this little later today when I come back from the gym. I put this in the correct form too.
And thanks to Elmyr for pointing out that this is WAY too complicated (and little too modern)... :laugh:
I plan to remove at least safehouses and stagecoaches (and "driver").

What do you guys think about Door/safe opening methods and the "battle" itself?

DeletedUser

Okay, now I simplified the idea pretty much. Any thoughts? :)

DeletedUser22575

Already Rejected Ideas

This is a list for the ideas which have already been voted on and were rejected in Development Discussions, This means no further discussion is required.

15 Minute Cool down to enter hotels after duel
MEDAL: Multi Hunter of the Month
Most Robbed-lost money
Town points for K.O. Surplus
More Resident building levels for towns to hold more members
Job Reports with Equipment Worn
Night
Ranking Alliances
48 hour Quest KO modification/removal
Restrict access to treasury funds / construction (passed but (Developer Discarded))
Bank robbing
Gang hideouts
Sector / Numbers on Fort Battle Map

DeletedUser9470

I think bank robbing is an awesome idea. i dont see why it cant be discussed.
I reckon it should be implemented as small fort battles.

Me having fun:
townbankrobbery.png

make it real simple man:
  • Each town appoints 5 Sherrifs who will defend the bank and the attackers appoint 6 Bandits. max HP allowed is 2000 hp/player.
  • The attacking town declares the bank robbery, and like a fort battle its 24 hour notice.
  • All players have to be on site to participate. those who aent there simply miss out and cannot be replaced.
  • All players have the choice to use either their duellingweapon, or their fort weapon.
    if they use their fort weapon then its exactly like a fort battle, if they use their duelingweapon they have to get within 3 zones of an enemy for a duel to be activated. the result is shown as per fort battle results: "player x advanced, player x shot player y 5 times for 1200 hp"
  • The attackers have to get to the bank, stay on it for 2 rounds and then get back to a red zone. within 55 rounds.
  • The attacking player who succeeds gets to take 5% of the defending towns cash.

and then he can get duelled by a dueller waiting for the battle to finish!
:laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser22575

I think bank robbing is an awesome idea. i dont see why it cant be discussed.
I reckon it should be implemented as small fort battles.

Me having fun:
townbankrobbery.png

make it real simple man:
  • Each town appoints 5 Sherrifs who will defend the bank and the attackers appoint 6 Bandits. max HP allowed is 2000 hp/player.
  • The attacking town declares the bank robbery, and like a fort battle its 24 hour notice.
  • All players have to be on site to participate. those who aent there simply miss out and cannot be replaced.
  • All players have the choice to use either their duellingweapon, or their fort weapon.
    if they use their fort weapon then its exactly like a fort battle, if they use their duelingweapon they have to get within 3 zones of an enemy for a duel to be activated. the result is shown as per fort battle results: "player x advanced, player x shot player y 5 times for 1200 hp"
  • The attackers have to get to the bank, stay on it for 2 rounds and then get back to a red zone. within 55 rounds.
  • The attacking player who succeeds gets to take 5% of the defending towns cash.

and then he can get duelled by a dueller waiting for the battle to finish!
:laugh:

Because it has already been voted on and rejected once already.

DeletedUser

I think a good enough idea might reasonably be considered even if it's already been rejected, but I don't think the basic concept of robbing a town's treasury will ever be implemented. For one thing, it would be exploitable as a method to remove unneeded cash in the treasury if the town didn't put up a defense, a possibility which was left out of Abuse Prevention.

DeletedUser22575

One of the problems with it is large towns with HP and level players robbing the banks of small towns with low level/HP players.

Another large town/alliance advantage that discriminates against small towns/alliances.

DeletedUser

I think the idea would work much better if it were simplified as some sort of group job or quest kind of thing.

DeletedUser

Sure fort battles are getting monotonus always playing on the same battlefields. We need new battlefields to get some variation. Bank robbing is not the answer tough.

DeletedUser26406

I'm all for Neo's Idea, btw this isn't the milti player feature zet was referring to is it ? :)

DeletedUser

This type of town raid / bank robbery / town fighting has been suggested alot. The ideas are similar to the ones here in concept if anything.

http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=47117

If it was once rejected, why is the ever changing and ever evolving playing community always asking for it and will continue to do so?

I vote for a revote :)