Auction House Proposal

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser1105

I just felt that this needed it's own thread to really discuss the pros, cons and potential for abuse. Many thanks to Ulthor, whose text I have plagiarised :)

The Problem
Many, many people are crying out for trade to be implemented, as a way of being able to buy items off other players and sell unwanted items to other players.

Other Ideas
There have been many ideas about trade on here, but none that sufficiently solve the abuse aspect. Hopefully, this one will.

The Proposal
That an 'Auction House' be implemented, allowing players to purchase items off other players.

The Set Up
The initial set up could be one of two ways:
1) It is just an inbuilt system that everyone has access to at all times or
2) It is a new building and must be built by a town to allow members to use the auction house.

It would be very difficult for this to work if you have to visit a specific town, so the idea is that this 'Auction House' would link to a central system that is accessible from anywhere. Anyone wishing to sell anything would drag and drop the item into the 'auction house' in their town. The item would then go into a central pool of items, visible to anyone. Anyone can then bid on any item.

Those wishing to buy would then be able to see those items and be able to place a maximum bid on them [just like ebay] The money would be taken from their account. If they were unsuccessful it would be returned.

The Auction Rules
  • No 'groups' of items, or multiple items. Each item must be an individual lot.
  • The auction would not show the name of either the seller nor the bidders. Each person would just see what the current bid was, and be able to put their own bid in.
  • Each item would have to be in the auction for 24 hours. At the end of this time (and there would be a timer for each item, to allow for last minute out-bidding) the item goes to the highest bidder.
  • Every auction would have a minimum starting price of it's sell price.

Ok guys, tear it to shreds!

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

No reason for there to be maximum and minimum values.

It may be an idea that the goods have to be picked up from the town where they were put up for auction for realism? not bothered personally, just anticipating objections.

plagiarised so your post looks professional:)

DeletedUser

Multi-accounters would abuse this to give stuff to lower levels at reduced prices. Never gonna happen. Sorry.

DeletedUser

I think you meant it but products shouldnt be sold. Only items should be allowed to be auctioned.

DeletedUser1105

Multi-accounters would abuse this to give stuff to lower levels at reduced prices. Never gonna happen. Sorry.

The idea is that items would have to be auctioned for 24 hours. It is only going to benefit a multi-accounter if they can sell a 'good' item at a low price.

Are you telling me that nobody else will bid on a good, cheap item?

No reason for there to be maximum and minimum values.
Ok. I must insist that the lowest it can be sold at is it's selling price in a shop though.

Only items should be allowed to be auctioned.
I don't see why you could not sell anything in the auction.

DeletedUser

i like it as if it is 24hrs it will be competitove and with no names and stuff it will be secret

DeletedUser1105

Exactly. The 24 hour rule is to prevent multi-accounters putting really good items for sale at a low price and passing them to thier other accounts.

DeletedUser1105

So that you can't buy products at a small amount and immediatly sell them to a shop, making a profit.

If you flooded the market with Sugar Cane for example (100% chance in 30 mins, so wouldn't take long to get a lot) Nobody is going to want to buy it, so using another account, you could buy up all of these (let's say 100) sugar canes at $1 each. You've spent $100. You then go to a store, sell all 100 at $4 and have made a clean $300 profit.

With two or three accounts constantly working on sugar cane, day in day out, it would be a nice little money maker. If you can only buy it at the sales price, this wouldn't work.

DeletedUser

if this is ever to happen there need to be a minimun sale price. and a minimum 24 hours period were all can bid on it.

i dont like trade for this game, but if it is gonna happen this whould probly be the way to go.

if there is no minimum price then people will be able to abuse it.

mabey also a lvl cap? so that you only can see offers from people that is whit in 5-10 lvl of you. so you cant give it to small players.

also how do we get the items?
is it just gonna pop up in our inventory or should it be a new building were we go and get it? mabey we have to pick it up in our own town.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

If you allowed products do be sold the quests would not matter at all. There would become two types of players people who get the items and auction them and people who make a lot of money to buy the products. Then they couldnt slow people down like they are trying to do. Because if you couldnt earn an item you would just save your money and buy it on auction.

DeletedUser

• You are not allowed to bid on items from members of your own town (It would stop you if you tried, seeing as you won't be able to see who is selling it).
  • You are not allowed to bid on items from members of a town you have been a member of in the last 7 days.
Let me ask one question. Why?

DeletedUser

Well, if they are going to keep hollerin' they want trade in the game, this anonymous auction is probably the way to go.

DeletedUser

yeah I like this idea but I do think that you need level caps like you can only buy from people 5 levels above you maximum

this product thing is tricky because selling products would be great!:)
only the quests muck it up-tricky......:dry:

maybe products would be more expensive to buy? doubtful but..........

DeletedUser

But surely everyone has an equal chance to make this killing?
The market will find it's level. if this stuff was going on then smart traders would soon be on to it. it's not something that i'd really get into but a LOT of people get a kick out of trading and this allows them to do it. No need to curtail their ability to make deals.

DeletedUser1105

But surely everyone has an equal chance to make this killing?
The market will find it's level. if this stuff was going on then smart traders would soon be on to it. it's not something that i'd really get into but a LOT of people get a kick out of trading and this allows them to do it. No need to curtail their ability to make deals.

It isn't curtailing their ability. There is still plenty of scope of sell items. First off, why would anyone in their right mind want to sell an item at auction for less than the amount they can get it in a shop for?

The only reason for that would be to ensure that the goods went to either a friends account, or another of thier own accounts, from which a tasty profit would be made.

Yes, 'smart' traders would be on to it. If by smart you mean 'cheating'. Everyone would be selling items left right and centre for $1 and making a LOT of profit VERY quickly. They could then easily buy expensive items to give them an advantage.

It would move things to quickly. Nobody would use it for it's intended purpose. It would just be awash with sugar cane being sold for $1.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
First of all: Yay my tiny brainfart got it's own thread :D

I don't see how that would be the case, of course items can go for less than their shop buy value but I think you mean the extreme.

In auction houses you can't give an item to somebody, the items goes on an auction. If the item is any good it will be bidded on, so if your multiaccount wanted to buy your item they would be competing for it and paying for it.

I doubt many items will be left to go for lower than they will go for in the general store because nobody likes to miss out on some quick profit. Good items will be going to the richest players.

I think you meant it but products shouldnt be sold. Only items should be allowed to be auctioned.

Everyone seems a little confused over this comment.

Items should be put on auction for a minimum amount of time, that's all, no free trade what so ever.

------------------

As for a free market or set min. and max. prices, both systems work. A free market is more interesting in my opinion.

It isn't curtailing their ability. There is still plenty of scope of sell items. First off, why would anyone in their right mind want to sell an item at auction for less than the amount they can get it in a shop for?

The only reason for that would be to ensure that the goods went to either a friends account, or another of thier own accounts, from which a tasty profit would be made.

Yes, 'smart' traders would be on to it. If by smart you mean 'cheating'. Everyone would be selling items left right and centre for $1 and making a LOT of profit VERY quickly. They could then easily buy expensive items to give them an advantage.

It would move things to quickly. Nobody would use it for it's intended purpose. It would just be awash with sugar cane being sold for $1.

If I saw an item going for less than I could sell it at the general store I would buy it straight away, if it's was a good item I would probably pay a lot for it too.

No player wants to give away thousands hoping that just one of those items might go unnoticed and make it to their other account, I can guarantee it wont.

Last edited:

DeletedUser

Mine is stating that products, sugar, tobacco, things that the job tells you you might get should not be allowed to be put up for auction. I think only items, hats, shoes, etc, should be allowed to be auctioned.

I think minimum prices are needed and maybe maximum. It would look bad if someone paid $200 for gray boots.

DeletedUser

They wouldn't want to sell items that cheaply but they should run the risk of doing so.
The reasons for this are;

1.It would discourage people putting a load of repetitive rubbish up that no one wanted.
2.Would encourage an eagle-eyed trader class. By smart i don't mean cheating, just smart, and these smart people would make sure that account pushing didn't happen because they would snatch items put up for that reason.
3. This avoids the market being awash with sugar cane by removing the minimum price and making it not worthwhile to put such things up.
If you want an active market you stimulate it with bargains.

Status
Not open for further replies.