Attention all entrepreneurs!

DeletedUser

Maybe I'm missing something, but using the standard map compass with north up, East is to the right. So since we're all on the right side of the map, aren't we starting in the East and going West?

Yes you are missing something... what we're discussing ;) Read this next quote and all the peices might come together a bit more for you:

hey i dont know alot on this game, so for all i know after 2000 players have joined the world it might be they change the starting location to the east then your center idea will be correct

DeletedUser

Yes you are missing something... what we're discussing ;) Read this next quote and all the peices might come together a bit more for you:

Oh no, I get what you're discussing. I'm simply pointing out that there seems to be some confusion over East and West.
It seems to me that there are probably multiple "good" strategies for loncating towns. I think the central towns might be good in the long run, but for immediate profit and accessiblity towns where we're starting (east, west whatever) would be good. And towns close together also sounds to be a beneficial thing.

My thought would be to try and organize a progressive move towards the center as towns are built. Maybe form a belt of towns from the edge towards the core, rather than a clump in any one place. That way one could travel to the core and back with plenty of places to sleep when needed.

DeletedUser

If your town isn't close to the others, your not going to be doing much dueling.

DeletedUser

Oh no, I get what you're discussing. I'm simply pointing out that there seems to be some confusion over East and West.
It seems to me that there are probably multiple "good" strategies for loncating towns. I think the central towns might be good in the long run, but for immediate profit and accessiblity towns where we're starting (east, west whatever) would be good. And towns close together also sounds to be a beneficial thing.

My thought would be to try and organize a progressive move towards the center as towns are built. Maybe form a belt of towns from the edge towards the core, rather than a clump in any one place. That way one could travel to the core and back with plenty of places to sleep when needed.

very well said!

DeletedUser

If your town isn't close to the others, your not going to be doing much dueling.

Hence my suggestion to coordinate everyones villages into the core... because in the long run, that's going to be the best place to be.

DeletedUser

Hummm in my opinion it would be best to start a town in the most western 4 ks due to that being where everyone starts, so this will allow more trade and more duels to be done making you more money!

um, no they dont i started in one of the easternmost Ks

DeletedUser

Obviously far east is the place to be... Since two of my friends just joined and end up all the way east... Maybe just luck but... Who knows.

DeletedUser

The east of the map is the obvious place to set up a town... no point in trying to fight the natural logistics of the game...

DeletedUser

Hence my suggestion to coordinate everyones villages into the core... because in the long run, that's going to be the best place to be.

I still don't understand why you would say that.

The oldest/richest towns will be in the east, the youngest nobbiest towns will be in the west.

The East is the Core, the West is the rim. Why would you voluntarily choose the rim?

DeletedUser

I still don't understand why you would say that.

The oldest/richest towns will be in the east, the youngest nobbiest towns will be in the west.

The East is the Core, the West is the rim. Why would you voluntarily choose the rim?

I understand that; my theory however is that if you started off with a small cluster out in the middle and built up there, then you would be better off 'in the long run' over another village who just went with the easy option and settled where everyone is at the moment (the East).

The reasoning behind this is that if 5 or 6 Towns were founded in a cluster out in the core now, then by the time the natural growth of the game forces new Towns to be founded out there as a result of a lack of new city locations, you will already be dominant in the area. Plus you would also have the added advantage of a central location allowing for relatively short travel times to all other villages, compared with an Eastern Township trying to trade with another over in the West.

DeletedUser

I'm not sure how the morale system works and if it's even remotely beneficial to be at a so much more developed level than others.

But in my eyes, a challenge makes for a much more fun game than to simply dominate an area.

DeletedUser

I'm not sure how the morale system works and if it's even remotely beneficial to be at a so much more developed level than others.

But in my eyes, a challenge makes for a much more fun game than to simply dominate an area.

Are you saying that going out and working in a tiny cluster in the middle of nowhere wouldn't be a challenge?

DeletedUser

I understand that; my theory however is that if you started off with a small cluster out in the middle and built up there, then you would be better off 'in the long run' over another village who just went with the easy option and settled where everyone is at the moment (the East).

The reasoning behind this is that if 5 or 6 Towns were founded in a cluster out in the core now, then by the time the natural growth of the game forces new Towns to be founded out there as a result of a lack of new city locations, you will already be dominant in the area. Plus you would also have the added advantage of a central location allowing for relatively short travel times to all other villages, compared with an Eastern Township trying to trade with another over in the West.

Older players will generally be richer than newer ones, so there's more to be gained in areas with more established players surely? And regardless of forums pacts made, the vast majority of players won't join in with your plan, so the east will always be "where it's at" as long as it's where the game begins. The east will always be the core. Then you have all the incomes from building a hotel when new players start (ie. the east). Currently there's only a handful of hotels to sleep in, yet everyone needs to sleep... even just 20 visitors a day will generate a huge amount of income for the town, income that won't be seen by hotels further west on the map for a long time.

Then the vital part you've forgotten about is the fun factor. I don't think there's much joy to be had in "pwning newbs" the first time they set foot into a world we've already been in for quite some time. It's ideas like this one that are responsible for the birth of the morale system :eek:

DeletedUser

Older players will generally be richer than newer ones, so there's more to be gained in areas with more established players surely? And regardless of forums pacts made, the vast majority of players won't join in with your plan, so the east will always be "where it's at" as long as it's where the game begins. The east will always be the core. Then you have all the incomes from building a hotel when new players start (ie. the east). Currently there's only a handful of hotels to sleep in, yet everyone needs to sleep... even just 20 visitors a day will generate a huge amount of income for the town, income that won't be seen by hotels further west on the map for a long time.

Then the vital part you've forgotten about is the fun factor. I don't think there's much joy to be had in "pwning newbs" the first time they set foot into a world we've already been in for quite some time. It's ideas like this one that are responsible for the birth of the morale system :eek:

You cut me deep AB, you cut me real deep just now :(

Idea respectfully withdrawn... *runs off to cry in the corner*

DeletedUser

There aren't going to be any dueling opportunities in the center for a town that is settled out there.

Remember you can only duel a player close to you in rank.

By the time that area is populated, you will still be traveling all the way to the east to get any attacks in.

But don't worry, I'll ride out every once and a while just to take all your stuff from you. I just won't be doing it often.

So you will be perfectly safe and alone, even when the area is populated. Because you won't be able to duel anyone out there, and they won't be able to duel you.

DeletedUser

My original plan was to do this same thing, but after thinking all of the angles through, its a bad move.

Last edited by a moderator: