American solders in Iraq and Afghansthan

DeletedUser

Actually, America was the first one in and that's what caused the problem. Carter was so focused on beating the Russians, that he ignored what groups the funds he was sending there impowered. America put the Taliban in power by giving them the money and guns to fight the Russians, then completly forgot about the region after the Russians left. Just like we put Sadam in power, and Castro, and..... Maybe America should stop trying to put people in power in an attempt to stabalize regions(ie, financial benefit to America), because it seems to always come back to smack us in the face. As to the whole Obama/Muslim issue, even though America has only 5 million Muslims living here he said the "America is one of the largest Muslim countries in the world" just before his trip to Egypt. Talk about ignorance of a topic. This whole thing is nothing but political pandering that's just going to make him an easy target for Bin Ladin.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Actually, America was the first one in and that's what caused the problem. Carter was so focused on beating the Russians, that he ignored what groups the funds he was sending there impowered. America put the Taliban in power by giving them the money and guns to fight the Russians, then completly forgot about the region after the Russians left. Just like we put Sadam in power, and Castro, and..... Maybe America should stop trying to put people in power in an attempt to stabalize regions(ie, financial benefit to America), because it seems to always come back to smack us in the face. As to the whole Obama/Muslim issue, even though America has only 5 million Muslims living here he said the "America is one of the largest Muslim countries in the world" just before his trip to Egypt. Talk about ignorance of a topic. This whole thing is nothing but political pandering that's just going to make him an easy target for Bin Ladin.

The British controlled the area for a considerable amount of time in the 40's.

According to the American CIA world fact book, there are 18.5M Muslims in the USA as of 2007, which is roughly 2/3 of the entire population of Iraq or Afghanistan. This number is growing rapidly with immigration and wide acceptance of Islam by African-Americans. That would seem to qualify as a large Muslim population.

The problem that both of these operations have is that the occupying forces have no understanding or support from the people that they supposedly liberated.

There is NO valid reason for the US to have invaded and occupied Iraq. The US introduced instability to the region. Hussein was a brutal dictator, yes, but the region was stable and, before the US imposed draconian trade sanctions following the invasion of Kuwait, quite affluent and modern.

As for it not being about money...it seems Haliburton and a few other companies close to Bush and Cheney made a killing of of fat government contracts...

DeletedUser

My opinion on all of this.

We, the Americans, do not have good people skills as other countries do. On us, we get afraid of being destroyed. The Cold War was a perfect example. We were afraid of the Soviet Union so we started to stockpile weapons in a nuclear race.
Now, we are afraid of losing our oil and America has to be the country to save the day and go stop Saddam. We stopped Saddam. However, we pissed off the Muslims over there. Now these Muslims, they are close to Christians. If you piss off Christians, you got blasted on with words and in the early days, Crusades. Now Muslims, they blast us with bombs. They stand up for their beliefs, and that is hating Infidels, Christians, and Jews.
The Taliban is a very devout group of people. I have NOTHING against them. We started this little war starting in Afghanistan. Now we have a few choices.
A. Take the troops out SLOWLY
B. Keep this war up till we win back our oil and kill all the Muslims
C. Accept surrender, get killed, and Muslims rule the world
D. Leave this all up to the president and complain about choices he makes
and my personal favorite choice.
E. Take a stand for our rights, pay attentions to politics, and pay attention to VOTING
Now I know some of you aren't complete idiots. I know at least one of you believes too much in the war machine. Now we can do something. Im a kid so all I can do is make my decision now. You guys can do something. You have a right to your opinion. And we have a right to stand up for those opinions. You can make your choice. Make it. If I dont like it, yes I will say I dont like it. But I wont try to take your choice away.