Allow custom naming of weapons

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

Proposal
I propose that players should be able to add a personal name to one of their weapons. For example i could name a jesse james revolver - Phils shiny thing. This can add a personal touch to the weapon.

Current Workaround
None.

Details
Basically as stated above you can re-name a weapon of your choice to you personally. So if you find yourself duelling a lot with a howdah, you could name it Death dealer perhaps.

I would suggest this feature to me incorporated into the equipment manager. And then you can choose the weapon from there. It would not re-name the gun in the west database, just your specific gun. So it would still say howdah, but above it your personal name of it.

This could also be incorporated into the west automation which allows unlimited sets to be saved in the equipment manager and thus would allow unlimited guns to be named and not just the one.

Abuse Prevention
None, just the names have to be removed before selling on market etc.

Visual Aids
Not good in photoshop, but Im sure you can imagine it from what iv'e described.

Summary
Pretty much covered it all i believe. Any Q's just ask.

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes
Does this idea appear on any of the Previously Suggested Ideas List? /No

Apelatia

I like this idea actually. So, you could name two of your guns just like you can save two equipment sets? If you activate premium, you can add more gun names?

What would happen when your premium runs out? Do the gun names disappear?

DeletedUser

Yes they would be lost (just like the equipment sets). Although im not sure but if your prem runs out when it does and you re-activate it, i think it remembers them? May need some clarification on that.

DeletedUser34315

I've no idea how hard this would be to code, but it looks fun, and I think players would use it a lot.

jarograv

It's not hard to code since it's just a cosmetic change, as far as making the change global it might be a bit more work but by playing with the code for a couple mins I managed to change some names. Here's some visual aids ;)
[spoil]
vwzz.png
jzAIpJH.png
[/spoil]

Last edited:

DeletedUser

It's not hard to code since it's just a cosmetic change, as far as making the change global it might be a bit more work but by playing with the code for a couple mins I managed to change some names. Here's some visual aids ;)
[spoil]
vwzz.png
jzAIpJH.png
[/spoil]

A "cosmetic change" would be renaming an item for everyone. This is item customization which changes your bear from a mere cell in a database to a unique item. As it is now, one bear is one bear. Give them unique names and a bear is the 55,275 bears showing on TW-DB and how ever many are not in imported inventories.

jarograv

Since it's not creating a new item I believe they would be able to make the cosmetic change when you load a players profile it would use a get'er (technical name :p) to check if the player has set a custom named item that they have equipped. The process could make loading a profile or duel report 1/2 a sec or so longer but would not require additional item IDs.

DeletedUser

Since it's not creating a new item I believe they would be able to make the cosmetic change when you load a players profile it would use a get'er (technical name :p) to check if the player has set a custom named item that they have equipped. The process could make loading a profile or duel report 1/2 a sec or so longer but would not require additional item IDs.

It still adds at the very least one new cell for every single item in every single player's inventory on every single world on every single language server in the game. For my imported inventories that's 37,768 items for me, not counting one dead world I don't have imported atm. If the 17 million players worldwide average only 1,000 items in their combined inventories, that's 17 billion items that need space for their names. Yes, if that's only 20 bytes per name, it's still only 340 gigs, which isn't huge, but it's still too much for way too little gain.

Oh yeah, one more issue: that's 17 billion names that need to be moderated. Yeah, this isn't going to happen.

DeletedUser30224

I wasn't just ready to count the additional size required, but that's a good point. I was just about to say the same thing as Elmo basically, each weapon in the database will need to be allocated an additional field in the domain ( a new cell ) to hold the custom name. Even if this cell is empty, it still has reserved space.

So indeed unlikely to happen and even though I don't disagree, I will still vote NO for a lost cause.

DeletedUser26412

i call my GG Betty but im not sure i want everyone to know this.

EDIT: Oops!

DeletedUser30224

It has come to my attention that this idea will not need further discussion as it will not be implemented. Custom weapons might be planned in the future, but until such day comes, custom naming will not be an option.

Thread closed

Status
Not open for further replies.