adventures and spirit of gaming

DeletedUser8131

https://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=56998

I have updated it a bit but without pictures as of yet, apologies for any inconvenience if any such as blurred images, time consuming reading needed, or badly written.

I hope it helps new and old players.

Thanks, asdf, I read it all, and it does help. I'm with some of the others regarding the rudeness and berating. I do the best I can and that's all I can do. It takes the fun out of the game to have someone shouting (or even cursing) at you. I want to tell them to get a real life and let games be games.

fortfighter1

Have to agree with Foscock and others, it is nice to see a bit sportmanship by most players in advents who let weaker team get at least 21-22 points. It is just pure greed by some players who think they need all three buildings. You dont get any extra credit for taking all buildings. Taking all buildings when well in the lead just helps turn more players off playing advents.

Doc Scurlock

The West Team
In-Game Supporter
I have played The West for many years and Advents is something i have not really gotten into. The reason is quite simple. I don't fully understand the workings of it. I make no bones about that, but what really annoys me is that when you do try and make an effort, more often than not you get other players shouting at you and sometimes abusive. And that really ticks me off. All they see is that i am level 150 with a big gun and i SHOULD know what i am doing. Well sorry i don't and even when you say that in chat they get all stroppy and usually rage quit.....real adult behavior there.
I am always looking to improve my game on adventure but when people don't give you a chance what chance do i have.

Abydos1

They are fast paced games that wait for nobody which means you got to listen and pick up what the veterans are saying and doing fairly quickly. Some are more patient than others but the key is to try and listen to how they play. I usually give the basics before the game begins since there isn't much time to try things out once it commences. As for the other issue regarding sportsmanship, that is something that keeps adventures going for most people. It is already a game with a declining attendance so yeah it is good to make it worthwhile for the unfortunate team as well. A majority of us are trying to encourage people to learn and play not discourage them by giving them hardly anything in points and VP.

DeletedUser26820

there's a clearly lopsided mix of players, and I've seen you try to take every building every time. Those nasty high level players that don't go along with your total domination strategy, the ones you start calling names, are just doing what 95% of the players would do in similar circumstances.

I'd like to get a better clarification of what a "clearly lopsided mix of players" is, as I've won a 2v3 and have maybe won, maybe 65% of the adventures I've attended since the day they were introduced.

And who are all these "nasty high level players... the ones that start calling names"?

There's you and me and MFR and a few others that can start policing our own "nasty high level players".....

Start calling them out by name like Heltgojo, N4n4, docroc and we'd be a lot better off knowing what to expect when we see them signed up in the lobby.

DeletedUser35352

Not that i don't let underdogs get their points but this whole discussion is sort of pointless.
The adventures are clearly defined by their rules - if inno wanted to give mercy points they would implement it.
Its just a bit silly to expect from all players to add 20-30% of time invested in an adventure to hold on to an "external" mercy point system.
My guess would be if all players try to end one-sided adventures as soon as possible then in a time x all involved players get more VP (as they play more adventures).

asdf124

Not that i don't let underdogs get their points but this whole discussion is sort of pointless.
The adventures are clearly defined by their rules - if inno wanted to give mercy points they would implement it.
Its just a bit silly to expect from all players to add 20-30% of time invested in an adventure to hold on to an "external" mercy point system.
My guess would be if all players try to end one-sided adventures as soon as possible then in a time x all involved players get more VP (as they play more adventures).

That is completely not true for most players, wait time for adventures would skyrocket. If I used my event weapons like others, I'd see you and other players fleeing! I won't blame you but your reasoning is simply an excuse with no real information backing it.

I've koed my own teammates cause I like giving points.

On the contrary dizzy, it would just make the waiting time from up to 20 min to at least 60 min.

DeletedUser

Let me reiterate: GIVING points is dumb. It has nothing to do with "fair play", it's just a way to try and beat the system. Earn points. Don't give them. You don't let people almost win in any other game, why would you do it here? Complete silliness.

asdf124

Let me reiterate: GIVING points is dumb. It has nothing to do with "fair play", it's just a way to try and beat the system. Earn points. Don't give them. You don't let people almost win in any other game, why would you do it here? Complete silliness.

I don't think either of us is wrong but I totally disagree with it being dumb, if 6-10 players from same world start adventuring in 1 hour per day they have potential of up to 5 adventures of ties. Cumulative of(5 number of games played)*250*(6-8-10)(<number of players)=7500 - 10000 - 12500 vp

Versus fast past with potential wait time of beta worlds=30 min-1hr+

Sure fast paced would be double the points but maybe in short term, medium to longer runs would be same as if you played fastest pace with objective to tie the game.

Which probably has better potential in longer run, if you lose at 35-36. You'll still have chance for loot. If you win 34 to 33, no one gets loot since no one reached 35 points.

If you don't sympathize with opposition side, I'd wonder if your human.(A bit overboard but meh)

If you are already guaranteed to win than why would you stay at a neutral bank? That just weakens competition rather than trying to make others earn it.

Last edited:

DeletedUser26820

Hey, Kidd...
Can you hand me some aspirin?
I'm going over that math above and getting a headache.
What's the distance to #3? 180 yards??
Good. Hand me my 6 and call the beer cart girl....

DeletedUser36417

what are the best weapons t0 use in adventures?.Is it about gun attributes.And do clothes have anything to add to the fight?Is there a list of rifles anywhere along with handguns

DeletedUser26820

Anything that adds to a multi-player dynamic is a good item to wear.
Take for example the Bavarian hat. It gives a bonus in both attack and defense at a FF. The same applies, or so I'm told, for an adventure.
Find a weapon set that gives a bonus at a FF and you should be good to go.

DeletedUser33353

Hey, Kidd...
Can you hand me some aspirin?
I'm going over that math above and getting a headache.
What's the distance to #3? 180 yards??
Good. Hand me my 6 and call the beer cart girl....

Tug is usually pretty close with his math, not quite right....but close.
The beer cart is on the 7th dogleg left, use an iron an we will be there quickly.

Snr Sarg

given that the bugs that have killed my chance to play adventures seem to have been either purged or put on ice for a while, I sat and waited for one to start and was amazed at the intolerance of some so called players. a level 5 player was in my team with another at about level 50+ . now i am easy going most of the time and with these adventures in quests bringing the loons and weirds out of the woodwork I would have thought having new blood in the sides would be good. we get to show these new players how these adventures are played. I detest and abhor the idiots who make a fuss in the lobby before the game starts and then rage quit before the start. as it was the other team (blue) had the advantage before we even started but I am always game to try, even if my game is bugged to the gunnels.

where oh where is the spirit of the enjoyment of a game when idiots who think they own a game rant about lesser players and then rage quit, either before the game even starts or part way through. this is a game you morons and as a game we are supposed to be enjoying it not taking as real life and you have to have all of your team as hungry for success as you are. if you have a new player on your team you try to offer advice and hope they take the hint and hide away on bank or saloon, leaving you to do your idiot things and them to watch and hopefully take in what to do when they have a better set of stats.

ok the player who is a level 5 and with no weapon is not quite the player you want on your side but I would be happy to play with just myself and the level 5 on the team and the ranting idiots rage quitting any time. I may be able to help the new player with a few tips and advice on what they need to do, both before and during the adventure. in time he could be the one that makes it plain and clear that rage quitting is the act of a child, and goes on to help others learn the art of adventuring.

to the premadonnas who act like you are invading their private game I say go suck an egg, preferably with the shell still on. to the rage quitters I say .. go play a game that is more to your style, where you are the only player and thus all mistakes are yours so you have no-one else to blame.

to the new players I say come along I will help all i can, win or lose, you will learn something about the way these things are played.

I play to have fun .. if you are not having fun you are playing the wrong game.

PS .. no apologies for the rant.

Only just seen this, one of the best forum posts ever :)

asdf124

Adventures are terrible and should be removed. It's a romper room for sociopaths and nothing more.
I play about once a day, oh does that mean I am a sociopath?

I disagree as some players play to have fun in their own way.

Some got bored that they goof around.

Speaking for myself of course.

The adventures platform is just a beginning of more game modes which I hope to see rather than see em close it down.

DeletedUser

I play about once a day, oh does that mean I am a sociopath?

I disagree as some players play to have fun in their own way.

Some got bored that they goof around.

Speaking for myself of course.

The adventures platform is just a beginning of more game modes which I hope to see rather than see em close it down.

The fact that you call the behavior that goes on in Adventures "having fun their own way" and justifying the behavior because of boredom not only qualifies my statement but strengthens it. Thank you.

"Adventures" are the worst example of game design even worse than E.T. for the Atari 2600 and should be removed from the game.

asdf124

The fact that you call the behavior that goes on in Adventures "having fun their own way" and justifying the behavior because of boredom not only qualifies my statement but strengthens it. Thank you.

"Adventures" are the worst example of game design even worse than E.T. for the Atari 2600 and should be removed from the game.
That is your opinion.

I disagree as players do enjoy em, if you don't.

Just don't do em.