adventures and spirit of gaming

DeletedUser36098

given that the bugs that have killed my chance to play adventures seem to have been either purged or put on ice for a while, I sat and waited for one to start and was amazed at the intolerance of some so called players. a level 5 player was in my team with another at about level 50+ . now i am easy going most of the time and with these adventures in quests bringing the loons and weirds out of the woodwork I would have thought having new blood in the sides would be good. we get to show these new players how these adventures are played. I detest and abhor the idiots who make a fuss in the lobby before the game starts and then rage quit before the start. as it was the other team (blue) had the advantage before we even started but I am always game to try, even if my game is bugged to the gunnels.

where oh where is the spirit of the enjoyment of a game when idiots who think they own a game rant about lesser players and then rage quit, either before the game even starts or part way through. this is a game you morons and as a game we are supposed to be enjoying it not taking as real life and you have to have all of your team as hungry for success as you are. if you have a new player on your team you try to offer advice and hope they take the hint and hide away on bank or saloon, leaving you to do your idiot things and them to watch and hopefully take in what to do when they have a better set of stats.

ok the player who is a level 5 and with no weapon is not quite the player you want on your side but I would be happy to play with just myself and the level 5 on the team and the ranting idiots rage quitting any time. I may be able to help the new player with a few tips and advice on what they need to do, both before and during the adventure. in time he could be the one that makes it plain and clear that rage quitting is the act of a child, and goes on to help others learn the art of adventuring.

to the premadonnas who act like you are invading their private game I say go suck an egg, preferably with the shell still on. to the rage quitters I say .. go play a game that is more to your style, where you are the only player and thus all mistakes are yours so you have no-one else to blame.

to the new players I say come along I will help all i can, win or lose, you will learn something about the way these things are played.

I play to have fun .. if you are not having fun you are playing the wrong game.

PS .. no apologies for the rant.

Abydos1

Wow ferret that is one hellava rant you steamed out there...you make a great point and unfortunately that is what we always have to deal with in adventures. It is not a friendly playing ground because everybody wants to win so bad and inno has not really done anything to change that. I must confess I do get pissed off at players not doing their part or trying to play right. I do try to help new players out but if they refuse to listen it ruins the game. You see ferret this has been an issue for a long time and these new quests requiring participation in adventures just makes things even worse. I'm not sure how to change it but we can do our part to tame things down the best we can by actually helping people learn and get better despite the hectic pace of that game. We might lose with these players but at least it will be a more friendly environment. Don't count on inno fixing this. We are all just going to have to deal with it...best of luck.

DeletedUser33353

Well said both of y'all. I am always open to fun gaming, winning a chest with a 1% drop rate of an outlaw item is never my goal in those. I just like seeing the other players from the other worlds interact.

DeletedUser26820

Hmmm... very similar to another thread by a toon I know quite well.

Don't let the rotten eggs that are sucking eggs spoil the whole barrel of adventure apples. It's not a crime when you get one of them on your team to log out of the lobby before the adventure starts and take the time out penalty. I do it all the time.

On the whole though, as of the last 30-45 days, adventures, at least for me, have gotten relatively better. Some toons have really increased their tactics, strategy and understanding of adventures, and are now awesome team mates, making me look like the noob of the team.

PS: No Kidd, you don't have to post again saying "making you look like the noob you always have been". Just grab the clubs and let's head over to the next hole....

DeletedUser

I don't bother with adventurers anymore, largely because of the toxic atmosphere. Even if it is only one in ten adventures that has two team members arguing and insulting each other it is really too much for me. They were fun for the first month or two they were introduced when everyone was learning and they were new. Now the over competative ones, and those just concerned with farming chest goods are ruining it.

I'll reluctantly do the adventures required for quests, but that is it.

I wish these people would understand that when you bully a new adventure player out of adventures by bad experiences instead of encouraging and teaching them, you may also have bullied that player completely out of the-West as well.

Dubjean

I really hated to have to join adventures as part of the quests and saved up a bunch to do at the same time. I will say that the teams I was on were very good to me, even with my noob galveston toon with crap gear. I stopped playing due to the toxic people, trying to play with people with upgraded adventure gear, and the quitters. It just wasn't worth it to take time out of my day to have a lousy experience. Thank you to those of you that try to make it enjoyable for those of us that have to do something we don't look forward to, it's appreciated. :)

Deiben, stop being a quitter! :p

DeletedUser

As someone who has recently started playing a lot of adventures and enjoying it my biggest frustration is not knowing how the higher level players want to strategize, and how they go about interacting with you in that regard. Some players want you to take the Saloon and/or Bank and then hide. Some what you to take the Saloon and/or Bank and then move on to try to take the other. Some want you to come to the Mill afterwards. Some may even want you to come to the Mill to start.

All that is fine, but nearly every group is different, so I'm never sure exactly what my best move is. That would be no big deal if everyone communicated the same way, but we all know that's not the case. Some higher levels are very calm and understanding, some are... well... not so kind and understanding.

I'm there to have fun, learn the best way to play and, if possible, win a few. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to do that, but I won't be treated like a lesser because I don't do exactly what a higher level player wants. Unfortunately you don't always know what they want, because they either don't talk or they wait until after you've done something wrong to yell at you.

It's not a big deal, really, life goes on. But there is a learning curve, multiple in fact. Like, I had no idea there was a move order until someone explained it to me. But that explanation came after a lvl 150 threatened to leave the game if I took first move again. I was like, "whaaa?" lol I get it now, particularly if I'm going to the Bank or the Saloon. But I'm getting high enough in lvl now that I'm going to the Mill and I feel completely lost again. I have no idea how to play in the middle of a 4-6 player skirmish and I won't, probably, until I cause a few team losses. I just hope the higher lvl players understand that nobody WANTS to lose.

One last bit to this rant, I don't understand letting the other team get points. The object is to win and I've been on teams that have both come back from way down and teams that have lost large leads, so why let the other team get points? It seems to me like everyone should have to get back in the queue and wait for the next game.

Anyway, that's my rant. Love adventuring, didn't realize there was an influx of new players to the game because I just started playing The West shortly after the 4th of July. Apologies for being a noob, but please remember this noob wants to learn, and to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser33353

One last bit to this rant, I don't understand letting the other team get points. The object is to win and I've been on teams that have both come back from way down and teams that have lost large leads, so why let the other team get points? It seems to me like everyone should have to get back in the queue and wait for the next game.

That is only common courtesy. Most people adhere to that standard, but a lot do not. Where is tompa12 I wonder?

DeletedUser

In concept I understand it being a form of courtesy, because playing the game and getting no veteran points from it could be disappointing. But at the same time, except for the very, VERY rarest of occasions, the losing team always gets SOMETHING, even if they get beat badly. I guess I feel like anything more than that should be earned. It's a game, and it's should be fun, but it also has a desired goal that each team is trying to reach. That being getting to 35 before the other team. In my mind it doesn't really matter by what margin that goal is reached, so long as the team I'm on gets there first. There's not really much fun to just letting each side get a bunch of points that weren't earned. As I said before, just get back in the queue and play another game. I'm sure I could come up with a good analogy if I tried hard enough. It just doesn't feel right, to me.

foscock

Banned
Shadow, regarding giving points - many times the other team is shorthanded due to a disconnect or a player quitting. In those cases, it's not real fair to the remaining players to not give them points. Players will disagree on how many points should be given, some say 14, 21, 28, etc., but surely it won't hurt you to give 14 points when you have an easy win.

As for what you should do after capturing the saloon - unless you're asked to go somewhere specific, it's up to you and the situation. I used to like to put pressure on the bank, but sometimes going to the mill or staying at the saloon is a better option. A lot depends on where the opponents are, how healthy they are, how big a gun they are pointing at you, etc. I think you'll answer your own question after you play a bit more.

DeletedUser

In regards to where to go after the first capture, yes, I definitely agree. I'm already getting a better idea of when I should go, where I should go, and who I should just stay away from. lol

In regards to giving points, OK, sure, I can see where that would be the polite and mannerly thing to do. But I've been in many games already where there are full teams and I've been directed to let a team take a location so they can get points. In one case I made an enemy of a very powerful lvl 150 because I wouldn't leave the bank to let the other team take it so they could get points. I didn't leave, because I didn't understand why they wanted me to let the other team take it. As a result, this player, who was on my own team, shot and killed me and now leaves every game I'm in if I'm on his team. Like, really? The object is to win, not to give presents. So if the teams are full and we're all playing hard I just can't wrap my head around giving the other team points. If, as you say, there is some disadvantage to the other team, that I can understand.

DeletedUser26820

A good reply from foscock.
Every adventure is different, with both teammate and opponent participants more often than not dictating the tactics and strategy for that specific adventure.

I've got an event weapon.
If MFR, who has an event weapon, and fos, who has a L2 or 3 Outlaw's rifle, are on the team opposite me, my strategy will be different if I have "strong" teammates or "weaker" hp teammates.

But I definitely understand your frustrations, Shadow.
Communication could have been a lot better in many of the adventures I've attended.
But don't give up and keep attending them. You play with the same toons enough times, you know what they're going to do without it being said.

But then that could get all thrown out of whack depending on your opponent team.

And that's part of the beauty of adventures.... Never really know what to expect sometimes.

asdf124

DeletedUser

Giving points is dumb, end of conversation. Too much wasting time, too many matches lost and almost lost because people want to play a game where the goal is DOMINATION by shooting the other players to death "fairly".

Also, higher level players who refuse to play, who don't actually try to get points or try to force the side they are on to GIVE points are just being bullies. PLAY THE GAME! And if someone quits on the other team, that's their problem. Why should the other side be REWARDED because someone quits? That is totally backwards logic. Finish the game and move on to the next one.

asdf124

Giving points is dumb, end of conversation. Too much wasting time, too many matches lost and almost lost because people want to play a game where the goal is DOMINATION by shooting the other players to death "fairly".

Also, higher level players who refuse to play, who don't actually try to get points or try to force the side they are on to GIVE points are just being bullies. PLAY THE GAME! And if someone quits on the other team, that's their problem. Why should the other side be REWARDED because someone quits? That is totally backwards logic. Finish the game and move on to the next one.

They don't get rewarded if they quit. Imagine being in their place 2 vs 3 or 2 vs 4 etc. getting 0-100 isn't a great economy and if you reach 250. Everyone has a chance of loot chests. Whether the losing team or winner if they tie at 35 they both have chances.

I could argue sometimes it would be too easy which is somewhat boring rather than difficult objective which makes it harder to accomplish and more worthy to succeed at.

Abydos1

asdf is right, I got my first ever loot chest from a loss at a 35 tie...it's always good to give points to other team if possible. I try to give at least 14 but I do shoot for 21 if possible. I really love it if I can give 28 or above. Ties at 35 usually happen by chance. Plus it is a sign of good sportsmanship to give the other team points for making the game possible...would you rather wait 10 minutes at a time in the queue instead as a result from all these quitters? I think the wait time pisses me off more than anything else in this game as of late.

DeletedUser

Sorry guys, I don't agree and I never will. If a player quits during a game because they think they can't win the game should be finished as fast as possible. Maybe then people would stop playing with the high levels who pout and quit during a game, thereby stopping them from quitting so frequently. And I understand not destroying one side if it appears as if that's what is happening. In that case, fine, I get it. But if it's a competitive adventure I don't get it. Points should be earned. Plus, I've been on teams that have come back and teams that have lost when point giving starts too early. Mostly what bothers me about it is the super high level players dictating what happens, or worse, just sitting there not playing. That's what set me off earlier. If a low level did that you high levels would verbally berate them right then and there, and likely continue until they'd proven themselves again. I know this because that's what happened to me making tiny mistakes when I WAS trying. It's like I said in the other thread about their being different ways to win. We don't all play the game the same way, we're all different people. I think enough people have played with me to know that I'm a team player, I try hard to win and I try very hard to do the right things in game. In my opinion altering the way the game is played in order to give points is not the right way to play. That's just how I feel about it.

foscock

Banned
If a player quits during a game because they think they can't win the game should be finished as fast as possible. Maybe then people would stop playing with the high levels who pout and quit during a game, thereby stopping them from quitting so frequently.
That makes no sense at all - how is taking all points from the remaining players going to affect the "high level" player that quit? And where do you get the idea that only high level players quit?

And I understand not destroying one side if it appears as if that's what is happening. In that case, fine, I get it.
I don't think you do get it. We're talking about when a team is 1 or more players short, or there's a clearly lopsided mix of players, and I've seen you try to take every building every time. Those nasty high level players that don't go along with your total domination strategy, the ones you start calling names, are just doing what 95% of the players would do in similar circumstances.