Advanced Fort fights

DeletedUser27863

Advanced fort fights

I believe I'm not the first one who has come up with this topic, but that just confirm the fact that many players support that idea. Fort fights on all worlds are becoming more and more dull as there are always same strategies used with the same amount of players. Every single fight is the same...

Proposal
That's why we should need these changes on fort map that will force players to adjust their strategies for each fight. Thus make attackers to really plan attacks and work out strategy before actual attack. On that way game would get some depth.

Current Workaround
There isn't any workaround.

Details
Natural Obstacles:
Natural obstacles that sorround fort on world map should be visible on fort map also:
a) MOUNTAINS- make some parts of map harder to reach, but once reached they provide some bonus due to elevation.
b) RIVERS- cause slower movement
c) FORESTS- give some def bonus to players holding that sector as they are hiding behind the trees

Abuse Prevention
No abuses.

Visual Aids
Natural Obstacles:
fortwithobstacles.jpg

Summary
These changes will make fort fights much more interesting and many people will stay in this game, as game will not be routine and it will bring much fun each time.

Administration
Does this idea meet the Ideas Guidelines & Criteria? Yes

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

Some feedback:

-I think the natural obstacles idea is great, especially with the upcoming implementation of v2.0 in which mountains, rivers, lakes and forests are well defined.

-Rather than show the actual image of the mountain, river or forest near the fort on the fort battle interface, I think it would be easier to simply shade those areas with a different colour or shade of green/brown (I'm not good with constructing visuals so you should probably give this a go) and labelling those areas 'mountains,' 'swamp/river,' or 'forest.'

-I haven't completely made up my mind, but the concept of built defences may need more thought. It might be easier to just try implementing the natural features and leave out the built defences for now. For some reason the pillbox, trenches and barbed wire seem undesirable to me. They have too many pitfalls (eg. who would want to be in a pillbox with only 3 other players, taking fire from the entire attacking team; it's a death trap). So that's my suggestion; either just try to implement a specific type of built defence or scrap that section of the idea altogether. ie. I think the natural obstacles part has the most potential to be implemented.

-I agree that forests should help the defenders and give them a sector bonus, but then it can only be in small shaded areas to only give a small portion of the attacking side a bonus. Otherwise it would be O.P.

-I also agree that mountains should make some of the map 'out of bounds.' However this could just favor the defenders, who know where the attackers will attack from and can stack HP to defend where they need to. To balance this, we might need to think of another bonus for the attackers (eg. a small 'farm' sector, where the attackers can gain a sector bonus)

-For the river obstacle, slowing movement could be done by splitting sectors up. For example, for a river sector, which would be shaded light blue, it could be split into 3 parallel, smaller sectors so moving up to the fort walls takes 3 times longer than usual). Again, this is a benefit for the defenders, so it would have to be balanced.

-I don't agree with your abuse prevention comment. The towers and wall bonuses shouldn't be lowered, since after all they are shooting from a fort with elevated position and stone/wooden walls.

Nice idea! Let's keep the discussion going!

DeletedUser

With regards to your second idea about military ranks, I think it should be given its own thread, since it will only prevent your previous fort battle idea from being implemented. I support the idea of only the original player who digs the battle getting a general rank and their town's hats getting captain ranks. However you shouldn't overcomplicate the idea. What I just said should be the only feature of the idea - and remember to post it on a new thread and delete your second comment regarding military ranks on this thread so people are not confused. :)

DeletedUser34315

The natural obstacles is neat, but atleast some of the defenses aren't good. Barbed wire making things impassable will simply mean everyone will cordon off the whole north sectors in every fort.

DeletedUser

so 15kol, would you consider removing the extra built defences part of the idea so the natural features can be put to voting soon?

Harsha..

Excellent idea :)

The current system is way too simplistic and doesn't involve realistic factors. This is why The west as a game doesn't reach a wider audience

my feedback:

- Instead of making regions of the map impassable, just make them harder to cross. For example, the attackers can climb the mountain, but it'll be a mammoth and dangerous task - if they make it to the top, the surviving attackers will get an advantage. Also, the barbed wire can be cut, but it'll slow (and wound) the attackers

- Different skills can be needed to deal with different terrains. Like swimming, toughness, stamina and fine motor skills

- The forts can be tailor-built to the terrain. (every fort will have same no of towers, length of wall, etc)

For ex - one fort can be built against a mountain, the attackers have to decide whether to attack front up or attempt the dangerous task of climbing the mountain

- Make the map much bigger. Keep the sides out of shooting range when the battle starts. To take this further, due to terrain, each party wont know the true numbers and positions of the other side. This will keep both sides second guessing on what the other side's true strength is and will bring in a lot of strategy to FFs

- animals and NPCs can be involved in some way (ie - reinforcements and faster deployment)

DeletedUser27863

ok, built defences will be taken out from idea, so natural obstacles could go on vote :)

DeletedUser

15kol would you also consider redesigning an image like the one in your original post, but with my idea about shading in certain sectors that represent a mountain, forest or river region. This would probably go better with the current fort battle interface, since actual images of forts/mountains/rivers would look very strange indeed during a fort battle. By the way, you might want to remove your comment in abuse prevention about the towers and walls bonuses going down, since your idea would be much harder to get past voting if you suggested lowering defence bonuses.

DeletedUser27863

i don't understand what was your thoughts about shading.. can you give me an example?
ok, i'll remove it

DeletedUser21816

I like it.

Just needs more thought put into how you slow people down from climbing a mountain, or going through the river area ( could also do swamp area)

DeletedUser27863

a suggestion was made that river is split into several sectors

DeletedUser20688

I support a change like this of some kind and I even suggested something similar in my beta testing feedback for The West 2.0. Certainly it would be a far off goal for 3.0 or something of that nature. However, to have a 3D based fort fight model with small 2D animated partipants would be freakin awesome.

DeletedUser

i don't understand what was your thoughts about shading.. can you give me an example?

I mean usually the fort battle map (outside the fort itself) is shaded all green, like a field. If there was a swamp/river near the fort, this could be represented by shading one or two of the larger sectors light blue and splitting those sectors up so that travel is made slower. Likewise for a forest: sectors would be shaded a darker green than usual and those in the sectors shaded dark green would receive a sector bonus. Make sense?

DeletedUser27863

oh, i see. i will made that pic before it goes on voting, yes :)