Active Roleplayers and RPs

• Thread starter Deleted User - 819397
  • Start date

Deleted User - 819397

Just as an fyi, I've got nothing to add from Joshua's end right now in Tiran...tried to do something, it wound up just being something I feel anyone who's been around in-RP would expect from Joshua, and not one that warranted a post. In other news, hoping to get at least one more post out tonight, and be totally caught up by the end of the work week.

DeletedUser37114

I don't have a whole lot of stuff to add on Gwyll's end either Braet, so you're free to move that up if you'd like.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deleted User - 819397

As an aside, I'm locking and unsticking the Intro thread. The last few people who've been through here haven't used it, and in general it hasn't been all that useful to people (there have been exceptions but looking at the general trend). Typically if someone's gonna put the time in to get good in the section they'll do it in an actual RP, and the less reasonable of the bunch aren't going to be dissuaded by the feedback they get to be less reasonable elsewhere. It was a good idea in theory, but in practice it just wasn't something most people were taking advantage of in the manner I wanted them to, and it's not an RP I or anyone I've talked to have any sentimental interest in, plus it was a sticky and therefore pushed everything else down for something we didn't really use...

So yeah, long story short the Intro thread is done.

DeletedUser28032

Not the intro thread! Noooooooo! :eek:

Yeah that's cool guys I'll just move the story along when I next write a Tiran post, though don't forget Aut that you're still up in Keys.

Apelatia

With our new forum host and the resulting updated UI that we have here, I thought I'd spring this thread back to life with a nice discussion question. The question is: Which was the worst character that you have played to date in an RP, and why was this? (By "worst" I mean poorly designed, etc., not which was the meanest.)

I'll start... In the time I've been here, I haven't participated in a huge number of RPs, partly because the ones I am in have lasted for such a long time that I haven't felt the need to participate in new ones, unless they took my fancy of course. My worst character therefore would have to be Lectanus. The fact that I created him when I first joined the section and didn't have a particularly in-depth idea of what kind of person he was outside of his character sheet bio are only a few of the reasons why he's my "worst". My problem with my happy, depressed, self righteous, angry, kind-hearted, giving, impulsive, loving, peaceful and reclusive teenager is exactly that. It just...doesn't work. My idea of what role his person should fill has changed so many times since I first joined the RP that I honestly haven't the slightest idea what kind of a person Lecta is supposed to be. His character got a little jumbled up to the point that I questioned myself as to whether it was worth playing him as a protagonist any more and instead turn him into a villain. :p So yes, Lecta is my "worst" character. What about the rest of you? I realise some of you will have a bigger list to choose from than others!

DeletedUser31931

Oh heavens above... where do I begin. You joined with Irulia Apel and you learnt pretty quickly but my character history? It's a lot longer and a whole lot worse. I'm sure I'm not the only one in here who's had characters that they're not particularly proud of but for me it really is picking the worst of an awful bunch. I mean, the Ben Andrews/Frank Jefferson copypaste was pretty bad and they were all boring characters. If I were going to pick a character that wasn't from my early days though (And thus we're also discounting Ben Andrews in present Sentinels because he's a follow up character or he'd just win the list automatically) then I guess it would likely be Sam or Leo from Irulia. I can't remember when I had the idea about Leo's death and Sam's love but it certainly became a thing in my mind and from that point I latched onto it in a futile early teens attempt at something resembling heart wrenching drama. Of course the whole thing was poorly planned and written from the get go but that hasn't stopped me from trying to salvage it more recently but Sam and Leo are certainly the pair I'm most ashamed of. My biggest issue with Sam is that he's semi tied into the group now but he's got very little space to go as a character because of the way I've written him up until now. He's gone through so much of a character arc that should have taken far longer, he's been left with very little room to actually be as a character. So yeah, to answer your question, I also choose someone from Irulia and that person is Sam.

DeletedUser28032

I dunno about bad characters though i've created several forgettable characters. Taranis was perhaps a little too successful as i aimed to create an unlikeable character and succeeded to the point that i struggled to get him to function because everyone hated him

Deleted User - 819397

My 'worst character' would be someone from something early, way long ago...not entirely sure who. However, in the interest of picking someone most people here would have an idea about, I'll say Gemini, from Project Genesis. I had him start out as a fairly nice person, but took Braet's slow reveal of his past far too seriously and caused a massive shift in who he was and how he was played, becoming ruthless and cold almost immediately. That kind of character development with major swings without justification is something I really try hard to avoid, and it bothers me that I did that so poorly in that RP.

I actually liked Taranis Braet. Really interesting dynamic that you created with Laura, threw me for a loop and kept me interested. Not that he started that way...early on I was getting a rather...different vibe from him, though you certainly developed him in an engaging manner.

DeletedUser28032

Just as a heads up, I'm going on holiday next week so depending on whether or not I've got access to wi-fi and something bigger than an iPhone I may or may not be able to post anything whilst I'm away

Apelatia

Thanks for letting us know, Braet! Enjoy your holiday, wherever it is that you are going. Don't miss CS too much either.

DeletedUser13682

Hey guys. Sorry I popped off so suddenly without telling you all. The server switch happened right when I headed underway. We're at a port right now, but it's only for a few days. Won't really get to post anything in RPs until American Thanksgiving time. Again sorry for disappearing suddenly.

DeletedUser31931

Well Irulia hasn't moved an inch since you left really but quite a lot has happened in the other stuff. Hope all is going well so far and take care and I'll look forward to Thanksgiving!

Apelatia

We are agonisingly awaiting your return to the forum, Johann! It's definitely good to hear that you're doing OK for sure! As Zem said, we look forward to your return. Until then though, stay safe!

DeletedUser31931

I feel like I should apologise. I've felt entirely uninspired to write anything CS-wise for a while out and I've got lots of work at the moment and I can't even be bothered to edit the one post that I have written. You guys deserve better and I'm not giving it to you. DS post by Monday hopefully and I'll try and put some stuff out in other threads over the half-term period.

DeletedUser28032

Don't worry about it Zem, we've all been there, don't feel compelled to write just for our benefit. I'm sure we'll be able to entertain ourselves.

Deleted User - 819397

I'm with Braet, RL does come first. Take care of yourself and we'll be here when you can take a moment to breathe.

On my end, hoping to get mostly, if not totally, caught up this evening. Tiran, Keys, and hopefully CoA.

DeletedUser13682

Hey guys. Popping in to say hi again. Probably will be around for a few days. Then I'll be off again for another month. Hope you all are doing well.

Apelatia

I just wanted to say a big thank you to Zem for persevering with Irulia for all the years that it has been going on. Even if it had on and off times, we got through in the end. This milestone is especially remarkable for me, considering it is the first RP that I've been fully involved in to reach its conclusion since I joined the section over three years ago. I enjoyed reading the ending, and think that you, Zem, have come on a lot since you wrote the opening post for the RP!

On a more sombre note, I'd also like to apologise for my inactivity of late. Life has been busier than I can ever remember since the start of the summer months, and I've struggled to find the spare time to post on a regular basis. Hopefully, this week will be the start of a renewed period of activity from me. I look forward to continuing to RP with you all.

Apelatia

I apologise for the double post here, but I thought I'd bring over my thoughts from the count thread to here, as they are quite lengthy, and here is definitely a more apt location to house them. I just today finished my extended period of slowly reading the Rise of the Sentinels. (On page 2 of the CS forum currently, if anyone is interested.) I've written some thoughts from the RP below in response to Braet's request for my verdict! Beware of spoilers, as there are quite a few in the below text!

So, to start with... I absolutely loved the plot, just as I really appreciate that of The Sentinels: Sleeping Giants. I wouldn't have read the whole thing had I not enjoyed it thoroughly. I especially enjoyed some of Zem's moments throughout that RP - very amusing at times! Though, on a more serious note, it is fantastic to see how Zem has developed both as a writer and as a judge of "what would be appropriate for my post" from then until now. ...and whilst we lost Tiger from the section some time back, it was also nice to relive his being here through Galen, who sadly died not long ago in Sleeping Giants... (I'm still wondering whether Astarot has been chosen to be a survivor or not!)

In terms of characters, I felt that Ragnar was interesting, and whilst I appreciated his death in the context of the plot, I would have loved to have seen him receive more development. To learn more about his past would have been great and perhaps to see how his interaction with Isolla would have manifested. On a sidenote, what happened to the Jaztec (spelling may be incorrect) in the newer Sentinels? They seemingly dispersed into the far corners of the world from what I can tell...

Kaella's development from then until now is something I also really latched onto for the entire thing. Her being quite a prominent character in Illrea's side of the story now piqued my interest to see how she went from being a relatively innocent, untested, young bard to the brittle, emotionless woman that she is now. One of the things I really love about her as a character, and I mean this as a compliment, is that she really shows how good you are, Braet, at developing a character gradually over the course of an RP (...or in this case, two RPs!). It would have been easy to have a big jump from one personality state to another, but you managed to make the transition, through Ragnar's death, the journey etc. as seamless and natural as possible. I'd be curious to find out, and I hope I will eventually in-RP, what occurred to her in the interim period between the two stories!

Aside from Ragnar and Kaella, the other character(s) that I enjoyed reading on were Mark, Busana and Matheld. All very different, but they each brought something unique to the RP that made into such a good story. Having assassins, priests, thieves, warriors and trackers all working and interacting together made for an interesting dynamic, that definitely kept my attention the whole way through. I can't not mention Ben too. After all, variety is the spice of life, no?

...but yes, I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I have no regrets about reading it. My verdict is that it was good! May the second RP continue for a long time to come!