Account hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser529

Happy new Year Everyone.....

Recently I have come online into my account have I have noticed someone has been attempting to hack my account and I was wondering if anyone else has been experiencing the same problem....So far this has happened quite a few times very recently....

I know this by the fact when I log in that I get a message by THE WEST...

SAYING AS FOLLOWS,

A failed log in attempt by an IP address located at HUNTINGTON, New York.

Geographic Information about 24.46.197.95:

East Northport. Huntington, New York, NY
Region: NY
Latitude: 40.8719
Longitude: -73.4347

I went to the net and located the IP ADDRESS for that player attempting to hack my account....

I mailled THE WEST and submitted a support ticket....

I found his address with the following IP ADDRESS TRACER SITE.....http://www.whatsmyip.org/iplocation/

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

This happened to me also a few days ago. There were two failed logins and the tracker determined that it came from a proxy.
It appears as though there is a bot of some kind attempting to hack into the accounts of The West players. It is randomly checking passwords of players who might be using very simple passwords such as 123456 or similar. The best defense against this is ensure that your password is complex, using a unique combination of letters and numbers.

DeletedUser

I've gotten one or two before, but that was actually me. I entered the wrong password a couple of times lol

Bat, the notifications gave you the IP address?

DeletedUser

I've gotten one or two before, but that was actually me. I entered the wrong password a couple of times lol

Bat, the notifications gave you the IP address?

The IP of the log-in is displayed ingame:

Settings -> Account -> Management

DeletedUser544

I have been probed at least 2 times in the past 2 weeks

Dec 20, 2009 3:42:06 PM
IP: 90.198.134.176
Yorkshire Dales, Great Britain

Dec 26, 2009 6:57:53 AM
IP: 69.139.29.190

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser3543

I have been probed at least 2 times in the past 2 weeks

Dec 20, 2009 3:42:06 PM
IP: 90.198.134.176
Yorkshire Dales, Great Britain

Dec 26, 2009 6:57:53 AM
IP: 69.139.29.190

You don't think it could be Gromit do you :shock:

gromit07.jpg

DeletedUser14006

That site is useless, it shows the location where I log in as Leicester but I am in Notingham.

DeletedUser

The site shows where are located the servers of your internet provider, at least that's what I know.

DeletedUser

If they were real hackers, they would have tried more than twice. You can't use the brute force approach to password cracking with only two tries, unless it's someone who's only trying something very obvious, like using your name for your pass.

nashy19

Nashy (as himself)
If they were real hackers, they would have tried more than twice. You can't use the brute force approach to password cracking with only two tries, unless it's someone who's only trying something very obvious, like using your name for your pass.

Real hackers wouldn't have tried brute force at all, there are easier ways. I think it was someone who wanted to get our attention for the lulz.

I've had one too, didn't note the IP though.

DeletedUser529

True....

Is there a limitation in the number of tries before the hacker is stopped?

DeletedUser

A long time ago I had changed my password and forgot I changed it. I tried my old one a ton of times then started typing ones in that I might have changed it to. (I forgot what I changed it to) then just before I was gonna use my email to get it I remembered my pasword and it wouldn't let me log in for like an hour or something like that. There must be a limit to the times tried before you can't try anymore.

DeletedUser544

how do you define a "real" hacker as opposed to a "script kiddie"?

the fact that many people had the failed login attempts implies either:
1. a single individual (or group) tried all of those attempts themselves
2. an individual (or group) has some sort of automated system for attempting logins on user names for the west (call it a script, or a bot, etc)

so hackers? or script kiddies? its all a matter of opinion, but regardless of the level of skill the attacker possesses it is not an isolated incident, and I think the more people who report and speak up the better the chances of Inno catching the culprits.

DeletedUser

It is being researched, thanks for notifying us, if you experience anymore please report this in-game.

Status
Not open for further replies.