2012 U.S. Presidency

DeletedUser

Yep, right around the corner (okay, a rather big corner, but what the heck). So, let's hear it --- who do you think would be the candidates, who do you think would win, who would you prefer to win, and why?

DeletedUser

Here's the only Candidates I know of.

Barak Obama
Marc T. Apter
James M. Howard

I currently think that Barak Obama would be the best choice. With himself being respected very well(unlike past presidents) by many people I believe he is right for being President, though I do admit if some candidate that is better suited appears I would change my mind.

DeletedUser25825

I can't say I agree with you Divinity. President Obama is not very well respected, as he's currently being polled at a -11 approval index, which means there's an eleven point difference between the higher disapproval of his performance versus the lower approval of his performance. I don't think he'll ever be as disliked as Bush Jr. is, but that's it's own thread.

I can't really add much to this thread, as I'm not overly aware of the republicans that are most likely to try a run at the office. I don't think President Obama will have a serious struggle against any current Democrats for a second term. So I'm guessing Democrat ticket will remain Obama/Biden.

As for the election itself, it will be interesting to see how the Democrats do. The current mindset of the American voter as a beast, seems to be heavily "Republicans can fix all", as was indicated by this last election. Heck, even my own liberal state chose a conservative governor for the first time in twelve years.

Because of this mindset, I can't really say who might actually win the office. I'd like to see President Obama get another four years, because politics doesn't move in a day. I think we'll see the gears set in motion at the beginning of his term, two years into the next term. If he's there, then Democrats might not be confused with the bad policy set by prior administrations. If the Republicans are in office, they'll get the credit. *shrug* I'm an infant with politics really, but thought I'd at least give it a go.

DeletedUser

I can't say I agree with you Divinity. President Obama is not very well respected, as he's currently being polled at a -11 approval index, which means there's an eleven point difference between the higher disapproval of his performance versus the lower approval of his performance. I don't think he'll ever be as disliked as Bush Jr. is, but that's it's own thread.
The lower approval rate, at midterm, is par for course. Happens to every U.S. President. That has a lot to do with the "uncomfortable" or "unpopular" topics that are generally tackled in the first two years. The next two years should cover topics that are popular, and thus rejuvenate his approval index.

he current mindset of the American voter as a beast, seems to be heavily "Republicans can fix all", as was indicated by this last election. Heck, even my own liberal state chose a conservative governor for the first time in twelve years.
Yeah, I wasn't happy that the general populace fell for the Republican song and dance, but I can see what they're seeing, which is that division gives the impression less is getting done. I think the Democrats did a poor job of showing they actually passed more laws during the first two years of Obama's Presidency than any post-ww11 congress in the same timeframe, instead they focused on how Republicans were filibustering anything and everything.

Basically, the Democrats need to do what the GOP has done, hire an advertising consultant, because the Democratic Party is demonstrating to be very poor at selling themselves.

If he's there, then Democrats might not be confused with the bad policy set by prior administrations. If the Republicans are in office, they'll get the credit. *shrug* I'm an infant with politics really, but thought I'd at least give it a go.
I agree with this. Basically the Republicans have been repeatedly trying to blame the present Democratic administration for all the hardships and poor decisions made during the Bush Jr. administration. It's a sell, and the voting citizenry unfortunately bought it. More time, an opportunity for some of the implemented changes to gain steam, and hopefully there will be enough benefits to give credit where its due (assuming a Republican doesn't slip into office).

As it is, history demonstrates two-term Presidency is a given unless some dramatic event happens. Small chance of that, but who knows what the next two years can bring -- (besides the Mayan Calendar's end of world prediction, omg!)

I can't really add much to this thread, as I'm not overly aware of the republicans that are most likely to try a run at the office. I don't think President Obama will have a serious struggle against any current Democrats for a second term. So I'm guessing Democrat ticket will remain Obama/Biden.
It's not quite in the books yet, but possible Republican candidates are:
The Drama King
(Donald Trump)
This real estate magnate is just too easy to smear. I can't see him being taken seriously, but he's in the running. Expect plenty of hair jokes, hehe.

The Crybaby
(John Boehner)
Expect his name to be twisted to "boner" and his crying fits to be emphasized --- ad hominem smear campaign --- although they should really instead focus on the flood of contradictory statements he's given over the past 6 years. We'll see.

The Lying King
(Newt Gingrich)
That would be the more likely sell, of him being a constant liar. His history of bad calls and outright false statements should be the backbone of any counter-campaign effort.

Walk the Walk
(Bobby Jindal)
Yeah, it's kinda silly, but this Louisiana Governer's gait will definitely be a visual that will undermine his candidacy. If you've ever seen him walk, the guy really doesn't do himself justice. But on a more serious note of points to emphasize, He has the management of Katrina's aftermath and the BP oil spill to contend with, neither of which he handled even remotely well, so he should be an easy smear, if not an easy beat.

Man of Contradictions
(Mike Huckabee)
As a Republican candidate, the man is rife with contradictions. His reverse stances on many of the GOPs' major topics, and his painfully bad calls in the past, will more than likely undermine his bid for the candidacy. Funny thing is, if he can survive the Republican race, he might actually have a chance at winning the Presidency, because the guy is smart & witty, but his position at Fox TV will be a huge obstacle for him when it comes to swing voters. Oh, and no, I don't agree on most of the crap he says and I find him to be rather racist.

The Mormon
(Mitt Romney)
Yeah, kinda stinky, but that's his biggest negative in his bid for Presidency. The guy's a Mormon, one of the most reviled religious minorities in the U.S., second only to Muslim. His track record of late has been relatively clean, but he has some embarrassing statements in the past that won't get him elected. Still, he's the likely GOP front-runner, so go figure.

Superstaaarrrr
(Sarah Palin)
Yep, Sarah Palin's book sales have gone up, she has her own television show, and she's hamming it up with the "little people," but this young woman, who can see Russia from her home, has just no chance whatsoever. She's found her calling, and she's getting rich from it, so I doubt she'll be retaking the plunge to more embarrassment in the bid for Presidency.
That's my wet cookie take on it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The lower approval rate, at midterm, is par for course. Happens to every U.S. President. That has a lot to do with the "uncomfortable" or "unpopular" topics that are generally tackled in the first two years. The next two years should cover topics that are popular, and thus rejuvenate his approval index.

Like you said, during the first two years of Obama's Presidency, the sitting Congress passed more laws than any other since WWII. Hence, I think that it is a bit naive to think that his approval ratings will follow any standard.

FROM WIKIPEDIA:
The following individuals have either formally announced that they are running for president in 2012 and have filed as a candidate with the Federal Election Commission (FEC), or have formed an exploratory committee for a possible presidential run in 2012.

Republican Party
Jon Greenspon, businessman of Montana, has filed as a Republican presidential candidate with the FEC.

Fred Karger, political consultant and gay activist of California, has formed an exploratory committee for a 2012 run for the Republican presidential nomination.

Jimmy McMillan, a registered Democrat and founder of the Rent Is Too Damn High Party of New York, has announced he will run for President as a Republican.

The following are individuals who are or have been the subject of speculation in prominent media sources as being possible presidential contenders in the 2012 election. The speculation may stem from noted media analysts and commentators, or from actions or comments made by the individuals themselves — which suggest the possibility of a presidential run — as reported in reliable media sources.

Democratic
President Barack Obama is eligible for a second term. Since the 22nd Amendment went into effect for the 1956 election, every incumbent President eligible for re-election has been nominated by his party, with the exception of Lyndon B. Johnson in 1968, who withdrew his name from consideration in a nationally-televised speech in March. To date, the only elected Democratic President to be denied renomination by his party was Franklin Pierce in the 1856 presidential election. The most recent credible primary challenge to a sitting Democratic President came from Senator Ted Kennedy against President Jimmy Carter during the 1980 United States presidential election. Responding to speculation that he might run against President Obama in the 2012 Democratic presidential primaries, Congressman Dennis Kucinich stated in August 2010 that he would not do so. In an Associated Press-Knowledge Networks Poll taken in the fall of 2010, nearly half of Democrats indicated that they would like to see a primary challenge to the President's candidacy.
Other prospective candidates:
Former Senator Mike Gravel of Alaska
Former Representative Alan Grayson of Florida
Former U.S. Senate nominee Alvin Greene of South Carolina

Republican
None of the following has formally announced his or her candidacy for the Republican Party nomination. The following individuals are currently speculated about as possible candidates.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio of Arizona
Representative Michele Bachmann of Minnesota
Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi
Former U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations John R. Bolton of Maryland
Senator Scott Brown of Massachusetts
Businessman and radio talk show host Herman Cain of Georgia
Senator John Cornyn of Texas
Governor Mitch Daniels of Indiana
Senator Jim DeMint of South Carolina
Former Speaker of the House of Representatives Newt Gingrich of Georgia
Former Mayor Rudy Giuliani of New York
Former Senator Judd Gregg of New Hampshire
Former Governor Mike Huckabee of Arkansas
U.S. Ambassador to China and former Governor Jon Huntsman, Jr. of Utah
Former Governor Gary E. Johnson of New Mexico
Governor Bob McDonnell of Virginia
Former Governor and 2008 vice presidential candidate Sarah Palin of Alaska
Former Governor George Pataki of New York
Representative Ron Paul of Texas (Draft movement)
Former Governor Tim Pawlenty of Minnesota
Representative Mike Pence of Indiana
Former Governor Mitt Romney of Massachusetts
Senator Marco Rubio of Florida
Representative Paul Ryan of Wisconsin
Former Senator Rick Santorum of Pennsylvania
Senator John Thune of South Dakota
Businessman Donald Trump of New York

MY COMMENTS:
I think that it is very likely that there will be a Democratic challenger to Obama.

I think that of the preceding Republican persons, only the following are likely:
John R. Bolton
Jim DeMint
Newt Gingrich
Rudy Giuliani
Mike Huckabee
Sarah Palin
Paul Ryan

There is a reason Ron Paul and Mitt Romney lost last time. They're not true conservative Republicans. This is why Jimmy McMillan doesn't have a prayer -- especially now that the TEA Party is here.

DeletedUser

I want to see Nancy Pelosi run in 2012 so people can vote her in and see what she will do. just like she wanted to pass the heath care bill to find out what is in it.

DeletedUser

I should also add that Rudy Giuliani is not a true conservative either. I would love to see Paul Ryan as our next President.

Pelosi has worse approval ratings than Obama (29% compared to his 46%).

Perhaps with Republicans in the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives, oil reserves will be opened up for drilling.

gorrellart050908.jpg

While oil shale is found in many places worldwide, by far the largest deposits in the world are found in the United States in the Green River Formation, which covers portions of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Estimates of the oil resource in place within the Green River Formation range from 1.2 to 1.8 trillion barrels. Not all resources in place are recoverable; however, even a moderate estimate of 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from oil shale in the Green River Formation is three times greater than the proven oil reserves of Saudi Arabia.

che_obama_1.jpg

This is not off topic. This is one reason I would like to see a Republican win.

DeletedUser

Mike Huckabee vs Barack Obama

Small percentage win to Huckabee, worst factor: Fox News affiliation. Best factor: Most moderate & More respectable that the others.

If Huckabee were to choose Mitt Romney or Newt Gingrich as his VP, he would win, I whole-heartedly declare it.

Huckabee is the only republican politician I still like, and he's the only one that I think anyone can like. He's the only republican that has a chance at defeating Obama, yet I fear that he is also one of the republicans who will lose a primary due to members of the party having above-par stupidity, I fear.

DeletedUser

I would vote for The Rent Is To Damn High party, if that man were to run for president. My god he had a marvelous beard.

DeletedUser28121

I should also add that Rudy Giuliani is not a true conservative either. I would love to see Paul Ryan as our next President.

Pelosi has worse approval ratings than Obama (29% compared to his 46%).

Perhaps with Republicans in the White House, Senate, and House of Representatives, oil reserves will be opened up for drilling.

gorrellart050908.jpg

While oil shale is found in many places worldwide, by far the largest deposits in the world are found in the United States in the Green River Formation, which covers portions of Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming. Estimates of the oil resource in place within the Green River Formation range from 1.2 to 1.8 trillion barrels. Not all resources in place are recoverable; however, even a moderate estimate of 800 billion barrels of recoverable oil from oil shale in the Green River Formation is three times greater than the proven oil reserves of Saudi Arabia.

che_obama_1.jpg

This is not of topic. This is one reason I would like to see a Republican win.

Are u insane! u think that drilling for more oil is a way to go?!:rolleyes: True, u guys should have tapped that before blowing the Middle East to pieces, but really? What happens when those reserves r depleted? Familiar with the term Peak Oil? Do some research before u hurry of to vote thus condemning our kids to a life of misery and violence... sustainable is the way to go...

*hurries of to fill his tank while there is some frigging gasoline left*

Deleted User - 1278415

I would vote for The Rent Is To Damn High party, if that man were to run for president. My god he had a marvelous beard.

Oh so now we pick our presidents based on their radical facial hair... reminds me of a line from Monty Python...

WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become king then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake,
[angels sing]
her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur
from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I,
Arthur, was to carry Excalibur.
[singing stops]
That is why I am your king!
DENNIS:Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

:laugh:

anyway, Republicans are getting reorganized, but they are still in a rebuilding year. Its going to take some effort to get the Republican team up before the playoffs later this year.

I think it will probably be Mike Huckabee vs Obama, and Palin or some 3rd party canidate will come along and take a % of Hucklebee's votes and Obama will slide by with a win.

Though it would be interesting to see if Obama does switch his VP or not. Biden isnt the most popular choice to have as 2nd in command.

DeletedUser

Dear Lord, don't let the Republicans get in. We've just got the Tories and it's taken them 6 months to begin the utter dismantling of our country as anything other than a play pen for the corporate dogs to rape more and more cash into their hugely over-inflated nests.

Watch this space, there'll be rioting soon. The right wing simply cannot be trusted if you care about equality, fairness and people.

DeletedUser

I think the George III - Lord North ticket is being sadly over-looked by the Republican Party. There would it seem to me to be an almost perfect combination of tyrannical self-interest, nepotism, public moral self-righteousness combined with private sexual scandal, narcissism, long-term mental health problems, egotism, posturing and warmongering. However, their wish to turn the clock back a mere two centuries rather than the requisite two millennia may well be there undoing.

DeletedUser16008

Looking from the outside in it wont make a bit of difference what party wins they are virtually the same anyway, its the lobbyists that run things not some figurehead.. nothing will change same as always and promises made will never be kept.

On the other hand if someone wakes up and stops sucking on the old credit card at some point there and is prepared like in the UK to at least try to pay things down there might be some hope, somehow tho i doubt it will ever happen as that would be political suicide and whos gonna put the needs of the country above personal ambition ? not one of them I would bet.

DeletedUser

Good people who puts the country first;
Ralph Nader
Dennis Kucinich
Henry Waxman

DeletedUser

The anti-Obama. The only true fiscal conservative. A lot of Republicans call themselves fiscal conservatives, but they just want to spend money on different things than Democrats. I think Obama's been campaigning for Ron Paul for his entire presidency so far.

TAaTU.jpg