1938: A Very British Civil War

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeletedUser

"Understood." Richard replied. He watched one of the Welsh attend to Herbert.
after a short while the Welshman moved away from Herbert, who was now properly bandaged.
now that his men had been given treatment, Richard's thoughts drifted onto escaping, if he could do it, it would be difficult, but Richard and his men had sworn allegiance to Oswald Moseley, and they weren't going back on their oaths.
Richard fingered the hilt of his butchers knife, which the Irish had forgotten to take away. Perfect.
he watched one of the Welsh strayed close to the table that Richard and his men were gathered around.
in one movement, Richard leapt up, pulled out his knife, grabbed the Welshman and pointed his gun at the ceiling, the Welshman pulled the trigger, and the bullet shot up into the ceiling.
Richard wrestled away the gun, stood behind the Welshman and put his butchers knife to the man's throat.
at this point Simon and Michael leapt up and grabbed their respective weapons from a sideboard. they pulled off the safety catches and stood back to back.
the Irish, Communists and Welsh all raised their weapons, not sure what to point at.
"Let us go otherwise I'll slit his bloody throat." Richard spat as he pressed the knifeblade further into the skin of the Welshman, being careful not to press hard enough to kill him, but pressing hard enough to cause pain.

DeletedUser28032

"Its good to see you comrade" Bill said delightedly, as he shook the big bearded mans hand, he was the former foreman down at the Liverpool docks and the company commader "Aye William and its good to see you is your brother well?" he asked in his booming voice and unlike most officers was genuinely interested in his brothers welfare "he's well though we lost a couple today"
"This wars going make old men of us all William...Now to business whats the situation with the town? town" Bill scratched his head as he tried to work out what had been going on himself "Well we lost our position in the railyard but between us, the Blackshirts and the Anglicans we've completely destroyed the place so it holds no strategic value...The Blackshirts have captured by the IRA with whom we have an alliance...haven't seen teh Anglicans recently" the beared head nodded along as Bill spoke, behind him some comotion was coming from out of the farmhouse Bill would have go and see what was happening in there the rest of his squad was inside.
"Ok William heres what we're going to do, I am going to provide you with some replacements and then i want you to seize the post office, the rest of us will take the town hall and the church.."
"The church is gone, Fascists burnt it to the ground" the man swore silently under his breath "Very well the butchers shop...now lets get moving I want this place taken by nightfall" Bill watched as the Commander George Granger walked off to organise the rest of his men, Bill found it hard to think of teh jovial foreman from the Liverpool docks as an officer.
Walking back into the farmhouse Bill stoppped suddenly at the sight of the Blackshirts as they tried to negotiate their freedom with a bread knife "Fall out comrades we'll let the Irish and Welsh deal with this" Bill spoke, collecting his rifle and backing out taking the rest of his squad with him, they had a town to seize.

DeletedUser31931

Ben swore when Max got too close and the Fascist grabbed him. "Damn! Fine then. Men put down your rifles." They did "Now go and leave Max at the door. If you slit his throat then god help you because I will chase you down until you and all of your men lie dead on his earth!" With that he awaited the fascists response.

DeletedUser

They had finished the services for Phillip and buried him. It was a somber occasion. Major Fulton sat in one of the station's benches, dressed as Father Fulton. The light was dim as the sun had started its descent from the sky. There he was, like a lonely traveler waiting for a train. But a train to where? A train of destruction or salvation, a train that would preserve the Church or bury it in a tide of atheism, a train of preservation as a United land or a disunited set of bickering states? Come to think of it, why were they in Morfield? The region was contested for sure, but the town had been mostly abandoned some time ago. The station and lines of communication, they were actually insignificant to the Anglican strategy that avoided major paths like rail lines and distrusted phone lines. In all reality the rails were a vulnerable artery easily cut and the phone line was easily tapped, no good in a region in constant conflict between multiple parties.

Then it dawned on him their job was in truth to guard a supply line. The mission had not been directly stated but he noted that rumors of a special Anglican strike force forming to the east had been heard by him. The Church stood over a major thoroughfare which would have provided a shortcut for Anglican supply wagons. The wagons were know to be lightly guarded due to overstretch on the Anglican's part, convoy guards could not be spared. Instead the wagons raced down the quickest route, built up areas were known to be deathtraps for these fast moving suppliers since streets were easily barricaded and traps formed for supply wagons. The mission's exact purpose was unstated due to the forces "secret" aspects. It was a hunch but he thought it was right.

"Have all the flammables been distributed?" "Yes, sir." Four torches were tossed onto piles of dry wood, alcohol, and other detritus that were in the station. In a matter of minutes the fire had completely consumed the building. The flickering orange silhouetted the retreating Anglicans.

When they reached the square where the Church had stood they were in time to catch one of the first supply wagons. The first was always the canary on the route, if anything went wrong there were explosives attached to these wagons with orders to be detonated so as to alert the rest of the supply group of trouble. Supplies were exchanged and Jim and Ron received M1917 rifles. The Anglicans then chose to fortify themselves in the butcher's shop which had been built in an old bank constructed of brick. It was the most imposing building on the square, additionally it faced north, and they fortified it by barring openings in the lower floor with chairs, tables, and boards and secured as firmly as possible. The snipers chose their spots so as to monitor all approaches and the Maxim was set up so as to be able to sweep the square.

The supply lines would be protected as long as possible, no interference would be tolerated.

NAMES OF MEN:
Dennis Beetmaur (Maxim Gun Crew)
Alistair Kingston (Maxim Gun Crew)
Brody Miller (Martini-Henry shotgun configuration)
John Haley (same as above)
Robert Hoten (same as above)
Phillip Doley Deceased
Douglas Hotmayer (same as above)
Mel Davis (same as above)
Jim Relis (M1917)
Ron Davis (M1917)

DeletedUser

"we will leave our injured comrade here, and as i will not kill this man, i trust you not to kill my comrade, otherwise my knife might slip. i will release this Welshman when i reach the boundaries of the farm complex." Richard replied. slowly he, Simon and Michael backed away towards the front door, still holding the Welshman.
"Michael, get my rifle." he ordered. Michael picked up Richard's Enfield as they reached the door, Simon opened the door and they backed outside into the 'U' of the farm complex.
moving slightly faster now, they moved to the edge of the 'U'. as they reached the end of the farm, Richard relinquished his grip on the Welshman, and as the Welshman ran back into the farm, Richard took his rifle back from Michael.
"Come on, we have to get to a Telephone box. i think there's one up in the north-west street." he ordered, and together the three Fascists moved back towards the village.
Richard had a gut feeling that the battle had only just begun, and he needed to reach a phone box. and quickly.

DeletedUser

"Permission to speak sir?" "Yes Haley?" "How completely did we scout out communication lines out of here? According to our reports the only existing phone line was the station, and the Railroad line would only threaten us if a bunch of men as mad as the Czech Legion were laying track like they were trying to beat the devil to get here.All the roads have also been accounted for and as far as we can tell unless the enemy sends a courier to run 30 miles, which would still give the supply line time, the foe has no outside contact." "Are you sir? Could they communicate with aerial forces?" 'Nay this place is too minor to be worthy of pilots I think we need not worry about them." "And what if there are pre-war telephones installed here, with underground lines?" "We are not fighting the locals Haley the enemy know the area as well as we do. As far as I know the only ones who are going to get reinforcements are possibly the Communists. And I believe there troops are to busy for this particular spot to get more resources. Don't worry. In 48 hours we can clear out of here as long as we receive no further orders."

DeletedUser31931

Max ran back in and before he could apologise Ben said "Don't bother. Never do that again. You got too close without paying proper attention to them. Thank god they didn't kill you." He turned to the fascist man "We are going now. The Irish can do what they want with you." Then turning to the Irish "I hope you don't kill this man unless he tries to escape. He isn't harmful otherwise and there has been more than enough killing today. I'm going to go back across town to where the army were and call them into the town." With that he turned and with his men in tow ran out of the building.

DeletedUser

Richard and his men moved around the western skirts of the village, being very careful to avoid anywhere where they would be seen by the Anglicans, who were probably in the village square. most likely taking up position in the pub or the Butchers.
as Richard and his men reached the North-Western street, a solitary cyclist could be seen coming down the road towards them, Richard hid behind a wall and waited for the cylcist to get closer.
as the cyclist neared Richard saw that he was wearing BUF uniform.
he stood up, and the cyclist stopped.
"are you Sergeant Walker?" asked the cylcist.
"yes."
"what is the situation?"
" i have only two men left, Anglicans suspected in the village square, railway staton destroyed, Welsh, Irish and Commies in the southern farmhouse." explained Richard.
"Ah." replied the cyclist.
"wo in that case you wouldn't mind going back to area HQ and procuring some reinforcements would you?" asked Richard.
"Yes sir."
the cyclist turned around on foot, remounted the bike and cycled back out of the village.

DeletedUser31931

Ben moved with speed through the town. He kept two men on watch for enemy movement at all times. They reached the edge of the town where they had entered only three or four minutes after departing. He stayed at the entrance and covered the entrance whilst Max and George went to the commander. They returned with two units and said "He doesn't want to give everything yet as by the sounds of it he thinks we can just take it with these two units. Ben signalled and they moved into the town again to hunt for the Fascists.

DeletedUser

"Where do we go now?" asked Simon.
"We'll have to stay here until the reinforcements arrive. we'll take up positions in this house." Richard replied.
he opened the door of the nearest house and went inside. he walked into the kitchen, where the residents were having lunch. they stopped eating and stared at him.
"I am requisitoning this house in the name of the British Union of Facists!" he declared.
they stopped staring and continued with their meal. Richard turned back to his men. " come on, we'll wait in the cellar, we should be able to hear the reinforcements coming, from what i've heard the Area Commander has taken a fancy to deploying buglers and flag-beares with each platoon."
Richard, Simon and Michael moved down into the cellar and settled down.

DeletedUser31931

They moved through the town and just saw empty houses or people eating lunch. Ben swore under his breath as they finished checking another street. He was getting frustrated. He lead the men to a pub and said to the two squadrons "You may have had lunch but we haven't. We're going to have lunch now and you can keep lookout whilst we do." With that he knocked on the door and announced their arrival. A nervous landlord opened the door and Ben could see he was visibly frightened. "Hello sir, We are looking for a spot of lunch. They other two groups have had lunch already and are going to keep a lookout upstairs. We mean you no harm." The bartender visibly relaxed and said "Come in, come in! I'll get you food straight away. On the house of course." and they entered and one squadron went upstairs and one guarded the doors and windows of the pub.

DeletedUser

(OOC: The town wasn't vacated by civilians? Oh well I think its time for me to interact with them then.)

Beetmauer was pulling guard duty when he spotted a man approaching the front door. The man however appeared to lack the dress and uniform of the enemy and seeing as how it was a civilian area he decided to order the man to halt.The fellow was large and bald, he was wearing overalls and wore an white undershirt, surely this was no Communist or Fascist foe.

"Stay right where you are! Not a step closer to this building!" He called out to the man. "Hey! What are you doing in there?" The man called out in a thick Cockney accent. "This building has been repossessed in the name of King George and the Anglican Church!" "That's my butcher shop you be hiding in." "We will be able to return the building as soon as our mission is complete." "Bah! I don't care about your bloody little war! You already've blown up our Church, our rail station, and other parts a' town. Give it up I want my business." "Sir I assure you it will be returned intact when we're done here." "Bloody..." The man started to advance. Beetmaur indicated Alistair to fire a warning burst. "We ask again that you leave sir." "Fine I'll go. Don't be blowing up my building now you brutes." He stormed off...

Unbeknownst to the Anglicans the butcher was out to get drunk and was advancing to a pub. An eatery that fortunately for him was still intact.

DeletedUser

(OOC: you're forgetting, this is A Very British Civil War! in any other war the civvies would have legged it, but not in Britain!)

Richard looked up from cleaning his rifle. what was that he could hear? was it simply the civvies eating lunch? or was it the strangled sound of a bugler coming down the road?
he stood up and walked up the stairs and out of the cellar, Simon and Michael were following.
they walked out onto the street and looked around, marching down towards them came a cluster of BUF infantry, there was an officer, a handful of riflemen, a standard bearer and a bugler.
they stopped a few feet away from Richard and his men.
"You took your bloody time!" said Richard.
"you couldn't take the village." came the reply of the officer.

DeletedUser31931

(OOC: And what do you mean by that?!)

They had just finished eating lunch when they heard something odd. What was it? "Oi! Max what is that noise?" he asked. "I believe it's a bugle sir." he replied "I recognise it from school. Don't the Anglicans use a Bugle to signal their advance?" Ben was worried, this meant reinforcements. He dispatched one squadron to bring in the main cavalry unit to flush out the enemy and told them to avoid engagements at all costs until they had reinforcements. He paid for the meal (We are civilized British Gentlemen after all) and then left with the other squadron. They began to head towards the noise with their weapons at the ready. They were deadly quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

together the group of BUF (numbering some 26 men in total) moved down the road heading towards the centre of the village. the bugler was playing as loudly as ever until Michael hit him with the butt of his shotgun.
the group continued moving (albeit without the strangled sounds of the bugle). soon the village square was in sight and the Fascists spread out to either side of the road, opposite them across the village green was the pub and the burnt out church a small group of locals (including the vicar and church warden) were examining the smouldering remains.

DeletedUser

A bugle call. Somebody was marshaling their forces for battle. Rifles were caressed nervously as the enemy was waited for.

Fulton monitored the village square. A few of the civilians had started to peek out and some were congregating around the ruined church. Then he heard the bugle call. They have to move! It was a thought to himself as he monitored the group. The enemy was surely advancing to the square, if they didn't take cover soon they'd be in the middle of a fire fight. He didn't trust the so called "Forces of Freedom" or the Fascists and Communists to hold fire if civilians stood between them and an objective. As Anglicans his forces were obligated otherwise. He looked back to where the next supply wagon would probably approach from. He could already see it. As he watched through his spy glass he noticed something else. It was an explosives wagon. He bit his lip. He hoped the enemy wouldn't converge on the square too quickly, or else the situation could quickly become buggered up. He sweeped the square with his spyglass, in the distance he could see a cluster of forms moving up the street. He hoped they were more civilians but from the way they dispersed to the sides he doubted it.

DeletedUser

Richard looked on, but as he was working out a plan of attack the officer thrust his pistol up into the air and screamed "CHAAAAAARRRRGGEEE!" the men surged forwards into the square, and the leading troops were mown down by gunfire coming from the butcher's shop.
the civillians over by the remains of the church fled, and the BUF continued to move across the square towards the Butchers shop.
Richard looked around, only he, Michael, Simon and a pair of other Fascists had stayed behind.

DeletedUser31931

They heard gunfire in the main square and ran to it. The Fascists where fighting something in the butchers shop. "Right men. We'll take the fascists and you take the butchers shop." he said to the other squadron "Move along that row of buildings so they don't see you coming. We'll provide suppressing fire. For Wales!" he shouted and stood up and loosed off his first shot. Max and the others fired off alongside him and the fascists dropped like flies. They were taking fire from two sides and couldn't survive. They fired a couple of shots in his direction and Sam went down. "No! Sam!" he cried and knelled next to his friend "Get....the idiots (To be polite).....for me will you." he said and exhaled for the last time. Ben's vision turned red. He stood up and was a man on a mission. "For wales! For sam! he shouted so loud the whole village could hear and he fired.

DeletedUser

(OOC: Zemmy, could you not godmod so much? you charged across an open square to mow down the my BUF whilst coming under heavy fire from the butchers shop and yet you ONLY lose ONE soldier? please be slightly more down-to-earth. )

Richard watched as the welshmen opened fire into the square, the BUF forces were falling back into the buildings.
"Suppressing fire!" Richard ordered. Simon, the two BUF troopers and Richard opened fire at the buildings where the Welshmen were hiding.
the last few BUF troopers in the square managed to get under cover, some were already returning fire to the butchers shop and the Welshmen.

DeletedUser31931

(OOC: Zemmy, could you not godmod so much? you charged across an open square to mow down the my BUF whilst coming under heavy fire from the butchers shop and yet you ONLY lose ONE soldier? please be slightly more down-to-earth.)

You might want to edit your post. I did since I realised it was kind of on the god-modding border. It's now slightly changed.

Status
Not open for further replies.