Votes: 102 32.5%
  • No, I would not!

Votes: 212 67.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Iceman

I have noticed that there are a lot of players that exclusively duel lower level players, then they duck straight back into a Hotel to avoid retaliation

I think that the developers should introduce a Hotel cooldown period of 15 minutes for a player, after they have dueled someone
In other words: You are unable to return to a Hotel for 15 mins after you have dueled someone

That would level the playing field and stop the bullying of lower level players
It would also allow an opportunity to retaliate

Does this idea warrant consideration?

Last edited:

DeletedUser1105

I don't see why this would be a problem, as long as you could queue a sleep up and it would automatically wait 15 minutes before sleeping. That way you don't have to physically wait the 15 mins before queuing up a sleep.

DeletedUser

I do think this is probably the best solution to this problem to have been suggested so far, provided, as EM says, you can still queue sleep.

DeletedUser

They could just call it 'checking into hotel', during which time you can still be dueled.

DeletedUser1105

They could just call it 'checking into hotel', during which time you can still be dueled.

haha, I like that! but then there may be calls for it to spread to everyone sleeping in hotels, and I don't like that!

The Iceman

haha, I like that! but then there may be calls for it to spread to everyone sleeping in hotels, and I don't like that!

I am sure it could be implimented to only kick in after a duel, if a player attempts to flee to a Hotel
It is definately going to make bullies think twice about attacking workers and much lower level players, if they stand to get retaliation for their actions

If a town member chooses to be a worker, he is currently peanilised for it, by being wide open to attacks
At least it would give a town's duelers, or higher level players an opportunity to give him some protection by being able to retaliate on his behalf

DeletedUser

only thing i wouldn't want is for this to be included even if you have to walk more than 15min to the hotel. cause after dueling i often return to the hotel in my own town to regain some health.

DeletedUser1105

only thing i wouldn't want is for this to be included even if you have to walk more than 15min to the hotel. cause after dueling i often return to the hotel in my own town to regain some health.

I agree. Some automatic countdown as soon as the duel ended would be needed.

I was thinking that maybe it could be an item that is queued like any other job, only it is a 'free' queue i.e. you can still queue 2 things (or 4 with premium) AND have 'Cooldown' queued. But that suggests that the cooldown would count down BEFORE you set off to your sleep/next job. It would have to be a 'soft' count down so that you can do other things i.e you could queue up some work and it would have no effect.

The Iceman

If your travel time was over 15 minutes it wouldn't affect you, as the Hotel cooldown timer would have expired

DeletedUser

Well, the wait period is an already existing game mechanic. When a duel is cued there is a 10 minute wait period. This could be applied to the hotel as well. I would make it a global mechanic and not just after a duel. Otherwise, a player will duel an then wait a few seconds before entering the hotel, thereby rendering the wait period ineffective.

DeletedUser

Well, the wait period is an already existing game mechanic. When a duel is cued there is a 10 minute wait period. This could be applied to the hotel as well. I would make it a global mechanic and not just after a duel. Otherwise, a player will duel an then wait a few seconds before entering the hotel, thereby rendering the wait period ineffective.

no, i think it should be set up like the rejoin timer for joining towns. only difference is that it wouldn't increase over 15min, and you could queue a job, it just wouldn't be allowed to start.

DeletedUser

I disagree. In terms of game design, global mechanics are preferable to particular mechanics. Setting up global 15 minute wait for sleeping (call it "check in time" as someone else suggested) and the problem is solved. Additionally, this prevents everyone from dodging into a hotel at the last minute to avoid a duel. That's fair for all involved.

Fair game mechanics work equally for every player. Making the wait time "duel-specific" targets one group over another. If its fair for one group, it should be fair for all.

But we may disagree on this point and that's ok with me. But I seriously doubt that a game mechanic aimed at just one group will be implemented by the game designers.

The Iceman

I disagree. In terms of game design, global mechanics are preferable to particular mechanics. Setting up global 15 minute wait for sleeping (call it "check in time" as someone else suggested) and the problem is solved. Additionally, this prevents everyone from dodging into a hotel at the last minute to avoid a duel. That's fair for all involved.

Fair game mechanics work equally for every player. Making the wait time "duel-specific" targets one group over another. If its fair for one group, it should be fair for all.

But we may disagree on this point and that's ok with me. But I seriously doubt that a game mechanic aimed at just one group will be implemented by the game designers.
I am sorry but I don't follow you logic
It is not aimed at a specific group, as everyone is capable of dueling
So if a player chooses to duel, he will have to wait for a Hotel countdown timer to count down after a duel, the same as he has to wait for a dueling timer to count down
So in essense it applies to everyone in the game that chooses to duel and is not unfair to a specific group, as you appear to be implying

DeletedUser

But it only affects those who have just dueled. It doesn't affect everyone who enters the hotel. Therefore, it is targeted at a specific group. For example...

Everyone who duels suffers the 10 minute wait.

Everyone who leaves town suffers the wait period before joining again.

Everyone who enters the hotel should suffer the wait period.

Otherwise, only those who duel suffer a wait period for performing an action that others can do without a wait period. Therefore, the wait period would be targeted only at those who duel.

The existing "wait" mechanic is associated with the action...

Action: duel Consequence: Wait
Action: leave town Consequence: Wait

Action: enter hotel Consequence: Wait

What you're after is...

Action: duel Consequence: Wait before doing anything else

That would be a global mechanic. But then dueling would require waiting before and after the action. That's kind of heavy handed and targeted specifically at those who duel.

What I am suggesting is a game mechanic that is more global and associated with the specific action of entering the hotel. The real problem is entering the hotel after dueling and not starting other actions after dueling.

Once again, you may disagree with me and that's ok. I just think your focus is too specific and targeted at too narrow of a group.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Iceman

Character Class benefits are specific and not Global and could also be considered unfair to other members
Players have accepted the benefits and pitfalls of Character Classes without an outcry
So I feel sure, if this was voted on, it would be an overwhelming Yes in favor of implement it
However, we shall see, if it gets to the voting stage

DeletedUser

I actually agree with Lon Lothamer. Making it global is the fairest thing to do.

By not making it global you set up the possibility of other exploits appearing. For example, if you only implement this when staying at a foreign hotel then you can have proxy towns being built near the target, so after the duel the attacker can run to the proxy town 2 minutes away and immediately sleep, since it's his "home town".

Also, *a little forward thinking*, if they ever do change duels so you only have to travel to where your target is currently located and not their town then the defenders would have a great advantage since they'd already be in their home town when attacking back. <-- again, this only applies if the dueling is changed.

Global is the way to go.

DeletedUser

I agree with Icemans initial suggestion of a 15-minute cooldown initiated after a duel before entering a hotel. Furthermore I believe Lon Lothamer's idea to make it global for all instances of hotel usage just over complicates things. Icemans is good because it solves the problem of hit and hide tactics used by many duellers, and should encourage fairer play between the-west community.

DeletedUser

This whole thread (as well as some other threads) was started to avoid the duelers camping in your town being invincible when they continuously duck into the hotel immediately after a duel. I think it is fair therefore to only apply this 15 minute wait to duels only.

DeletedUser

i think this is a good solution. if only it would be implemented before sheriff :p or forts :p

Status
Not open for further replies.