Votes: 102 32.5%
  • No, I would not!

Votes: 212 67.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Iceman

I sincerely believe that a 15 minute countdown timer will eliminate a lot of the duel-hide, duel-hide, tactics that are being used
It wont eliminate it completely, but it will definately cut down on the frustration caused by players camping towns, without any recourse, by using underhanded methods to gain an advantage

With a 15 minute countdown timer, it will take a bit of effort to catch then and retaliate
I think that if we want to have this change, there has to be a price to be paid for it
We should be prepared to make the effort, by going after them, even if we only have a 15 minute window

Diggo11

I'd also like to make it longer, but to do so would unfairly punish the majority legitimate duellers. 15 minutes won't harm legitimate duellers but also gives you an opportunity to catch campers.

DeletedUser

I do not like the idea at all. One of the characters title is bandit. Bandits hit and hide. That is what they did in the real west, that is what they should be allowed to do in this west. The only difference I see is that you know when you have a bandit in your town. You know they are camping you. You know where they are hiding. grab your guns and go camp their town. Yes, the player that plays all the time will have an advantage, that is what you get for having a life. You can always cue up 16 hours of sleep at the very least. If you have premiums you can cue up 36. You can stay in your hotel long enough to prevent being dueled while you are out enjoying your life. Most of these duel/hide players operate on some sort of pattern, figure it out and smack them down. or every tactic in this game you can employ a counter tactic. I honestly do not see a problem with the games dueling as it stands, at least not in a way that pertains to this idea.

Diggo11

True, but you pointed out your own flaw.

Bandits hit and run, quite correct. But do you think they then went and hid in the town they murdered someone in? I doubt it! The Check In Time could be the equivalent of the time it took the bandits to retreat to their own hideout after a hit and run attack. So basically this short period of insecurity is more historically accurate than you'd first think!

DeletedUser

Well, kind of. A bandit would usually attack outside of a town then hide. It just so happens that the only place to attack is in the town so that is the way it has to be unless something is changed about where the attack can take place.

DeletedUser

Bandits would also be caught and hung. Do you then also propose that we ask the devs to introduce a means for us to do that?

I have to wonder if very many of the people who have posted against this idea, or at least against the shorter time period, have really had to address this yet. I'm not talking about 1 guy who sits for a few days (or months, for that matter). I'm talking about handfuls of fighters camping out in towns, picking off the easiest targets in a town and avoiding that towns real fighters like the plague. When your town is clearly able to knock the snot out of another town, but none of you can manage to kick in a door on a janitors closet, something is seriously wrong.

15 minutes is plenty of time to correct this design flaw and counter those who exploit it. Much longer, I think it could put a potential damper on construction workers, but I truly can't see it effecting too many other people, and I would still prefer to see this as a global implementation...but I would take it any way I could get it. 8 hours? Utterly ridiculous.

Come on guys...let's push hard for this.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser

The amount of time is not really important as long as it's greater then 10 minutes. It takes 10 minutes to duel someone because of the duel timer, so anything more then that will allow you to hit them at least once. If you are only on line once or twice a day you are not going to be able to hit them anyways even if it's like an hour or two, and then you start infringing on a duelers right to bank their earned money.

We don't want to go from not being able to hit them at all to making them a sitting duck to others.

DeletedUser

I will vote Yes on the 15 minutes cool down.

I am a member of a town that takes part in wars with other towns. That is why it can't be something ridiculous like 8 hours. It would ruin the game for players who want to have wars and enjoy that aspect of the game. Also in all the wars myself and the town has been involved with, players on both sides usually do not resort to camping for days, weeks and months. The member I referred to as doing that, constantly switched towns. He wasn't wanted anywhere because he contributed nothing to the town.

The 15 minute cool down means this. As soon as the camper leaves the Hotel, you have 15 minutes from that time to log on and and get your duel cued up. That really isn't that much time. Now the camper might be out of the Hotel for a total of 25 minutes but your duel takes 10 minutes as well.

I repeat, I will vote yes for the 15 minute cool down, because this is needed now. It is also a huge improvement over the way it is now. I am a Dueler Class, that is involved in wars, and has tried to nail a few campers. With all that I still think slightly more time would be better. Slightly being 30 minutes.

The Iceman

Please bear in mind, that if you are waiting in a duelers town for him to leave your Hotel to duel one of your members, you could potentially have 25 minutes to retaliate
10 mins for his duel timer to count down and a 15 minute countdown timer for him to duck back into the Hotel in your town

That's if you was lucky enough to spot him in the open :)

DeletedUser

Please bear in mind, that if you are waiting in a duelers town for him to leave your Hotel to duel one of your members, you could potentially have 25 minutes to retaliate
10 mins for his duel timer to count down and a 15 minute countdown timer for him to duck back into the Hotel in your town

That's if you was lucky enough to spot him in the open :)

Quite. I think some people are saying that if you are the one being hit, then you will only have the 15 mins to get the dueler, but that is rarely going to be the case as usually you will get someone else to duel him for you, after he has attacked you several times.

DeletedUser

The Iceman

The camper will be out of the Hotel for 25 minutes, that's correct, but you don't have 25 minutes to have someone else or yourself duel him.

If the camper has been out the Hotel for 15 minutes already, and you cue up your duel anytime after that 15 minutes, by the time your 10 minutes to duel him is over, he will already be safely back into the Hotel. Safe from attacks. That's why I think the window is too short, you have to get your duel cued up within the first 15 minutes that he is out of the Hotel. Even though it's only 15 minutes, I'll take what I can get though, its' better than nothing at all.

I think what is being forgotten or overlooked is: When you or someone else duels the camper in your town, It still takes you 10 minutes to complete the duel. If you start your duel after that first 15 minutes, then they get back in to the Hotel, the duel does not take place.

Of course the ones who are being targeted won't be the ones going to his town. They are usually low level targets that the camper just wants to bully. duel/hide/duel/hide tactic is to hide from the towns best duelers.

There should be some code of conduct, If everyone followed it, we wouldn't have this problem.

The Iceman

The Iceman

The camper will be out of the Hotel for 25 minutes, that's correct, but you don't have 25 minutes to have someone else or yourself duel him.

If the camper has been out the Hotel for 15 minutes already, and you cue up your duel anytime after that 15 minutes, by the time your 10 minutes to duel him is over, he will already be safely back into the Hotel. Safe from attacks. That's why I think the window is too short, you have to get your duel cued up within the first 15 minutes that he is out of the Hotel. Even though it's only 15 minutes, I'll take what I can get though, its' better than nothing at all.

I think what is being forgotten or overlooked is: When you or someone else duels the camper in your town, It still takes you 10 minutes to complete the duel. If you start your duel after that first 15 minutes, then they get back in to the Hotel, the duel does not take place.

Of course the ones who are being targeted won't be the ones going to his town. They are usually low level targets that the camper just wants to bully. duel/hide/duel/hide tactic is to hide from the towns best duelers.

There should be some code of conduct, If everyone followed it, we wouldn't have this problem.

I think you have missed my point completely
Let me make it simple

A player duels you at 11:00am, so he becomes visible after leaving the Hotel to duel
You are able to duel him, as soon as he becomes visible, any time after 11:00am

He then has to wait for 15 minutes after the duel has taken place, before he can return to the the Hotel
That gives you the 10 minutes he has to wait for the duel to take place, plus a further 15 minutes before he arrives back in the Hotel

So he is actually visible for 25 minutes, in which time you can duel him
You have to duel him within the first 15 mins of that 25 minutes, to ensure you get to duel him before he gets back to the Hotel, as you have to wait 10 minutes for your duel countdown timer too

I know it's cutting it a bit fine, but a larger time frame would probably be rejected

Besides, it would be quite an accomplishment to nail someone in that time frame :)

DeletedUser

I think you have missed my point completely
Let me make it simple

A player duels you at 11:00am, so he becomes visible after leaving the Hotel to duel
You are able to duel him, as soon as he becomes visible, any time after 11:00am

He then has to wait for 15 minutes after the duel has taken place, before he can return to the the Hotel
That gives you the 10 minutes he has to wait for the duel to take place, plus a further 15 minutes before he arrives back in the Hotel

So he is actually visible for 25 minutes, in which time you can duel him
You have to duel him within the first 15 mins of that 25 minutes, to ensure you get to duel him before he gets back to the Hotel, as you have to wait 10 minutes for your duel countdown timer too

I know it's cutting it a bit fine, but a larger time frame would probably be rejected

Besides, it would be quite an accomplishment to nail someone in that time frame :)

In a round about way that is what I said. So I didn't miss any point. It's a small window, but a window. I will take 15 minutes over no minutes. I'm just saying in prefer more. I also said I'd vote Yes for this idea, by the way.

DeletedUser

I also feel 15 minutes is very short. I typically won't notice when he comes out of the hotel (we do other stuff as well instead of continuously monitoring a camper ;)), but will only know when I see the report that I was duelled. If I now need to duel him, it will mean that I have only 5 minutes to do it (anytime after 5 minutes, with the 10 minute timer, will mean that he could already be sleeping). That is also assuming that I am camping in his town waiting to duel him, and don't need to walk there first. With the screen update bugs, I would like to see this extended to at least 30 minutes. All of that said, 15 minutes will still be better than nothing!

DeletedUser

I think 15 minutes is forever. If someone is camping your town from your hotel then go after then. Make it your business to watch and see when they come out of the hotel. I think a 5 minute delay is plenty.

You make a dueler wait 15 minutes plus the 10 minute duel time all that is going to happen is that smaller towns with less protection will be hit and you'll see them hitting the same person over and over again. If you have to wait an hour to hit someone that seems like forever when you can duel every 10 minutes. Now, if you can only duel every 25 minutes (essentially that is what it is for a camper) then you can be darn sure there will be more KO's than normal.

The camper will not have lost as much health as normal when he is available to duel the first one on his list again because he hasn't been in as many duels. Yes, that is great for the town as a whole but it is not going to stop a determined camper from just sitting there and KO'ing everyone in your town systematically.

25 minutes is ridiculous. If someone is giving you that much problem then put some effort into it to catch them. If your town can't rustle up one or two people to take care of one player then it isn't a town worth belonging to.

DeletedUser

You won't be able to duel the player right away as you need to get to their town. I wonder how you could get around that.

DeletedUser

I think 15 minutes is forever. If someone is camping your town from your hotel then go after then. Make it your business to watch and see when they come out of the hotel. I think a 5 minute delay is plenty.

Exactly what I was thinking in my post in the other thread (except that the duel happens after 5 minutes, making the whole process 10 minutes again).

DeletedUser

I agree completely. In our case, we've got so many different people watching that someone is around at nearly all times to give the rest of us a heads up. Many of us communicate via several different methods, so word will get around pretty quickly and those who are able, do. Fast. Given the games many of us have come to The West from, I've been a little surprised lately to learn how underutilized real time communication is in this game.

But back to the point...5 minutes would be plenty in most cases.

You make a dueler wait 15 minutes plus the 10 minute duel time all that is going to happen is that smaller towns with less protection will be hit and you'll see them hitting the same person over and over again. If you have to wait an hour to hit someone that seems like forever when you can duel every 10 minutes. Now, if you can only duel every 25 minutes (essentially that is what it is for a camper) then you can be darn sure there will be more KO's than normal.

You lost me here, though. Duelers would still be able to duel every 10 minutes, if I understand the proposal correctly. They just wouldn't be able to dive right back into the hotel immediately after a duel.

The camper will not have lost as much health as normal when he is available to duel the first one on his list again because he hasn't been in as many duels. Yes, that is great for the town as a whole but it is not going to stop a determined camper from just sitting there and KO'ing everyone in your town systematically.

I'll point up to my previous comment on this one, and add that the hide/hit/hide camper generally has more opportunity to recover health than those like me, who stay out in the open 90% of the time while dueling, simply because of the constant naps they take. All that ducking and hiding adds up when it's all you do.

Meanwhile, these types tend to target only the easier pickin's, rather than those who are camped out at their town looking to sort them out. So, they're usually not taking huge amounts of damage from their duels to begin with. Not always the case...but more often than not.

25 minutes is ridiculous. If someone is giving you that much problem then put some effort into it to catch them. If your town can't rustle up one or two people to take care of one player then it isn't a town worth belonging to.

I'm feelin' ya loud & clear again. I'm very competitive in games like this, and you can bet that if I've got someone in my sights I will get them eventually, no matter what they try to do to avoid it (ok they can quit being a town member or the game altogether but that's it. lol). Like minds tend to gravitate towards another, and most of the dedicated fighters in my towns are the same way. 25 minutes is forever to the likes of us, in a game like this. If you can't count on your 'mates, you need new 'mates.

You won't be able to duel the player right away as you need to get to their town. I wonder how you could get around that.

I think that those of us who are thumping the tables on this one assume that you're already in their town...camping them as they are you, and ready to go. If not directly in their town, very near...stalking their prey.

Yeah, ok...I know...relax, Alobar. It's just a game. Haha! :laugh:

:nowink: Screw that I'm here to have fun fighting...not chasing hotel inspectors in and out of janitors closets. :blink:

DeletedUser

You could do this, but you truly have no life outside of the game. I'm sorry, but I do have a life outside of this game, It's wrong to punish me or anyone else for that. You still have to log on and finally find them out of the hotel. Are you going to do this all day long until they finally come out? If you are, you may need to check in to rehab for internet addiction.

I agree it won't stop camping, it may slow it down, but won't stop it. Since it won't stop it completely maybe the idea should be scraped. I had an idea once but nobody liked it either. Limit the number of times you can stay in the same foreign towns hotel per day. ohhh but that hurts the adventure class too much, because they think they are the only ones who should have the right to camping.

I find it funny you insult the town as if it isn't good enough to handle the problem. I've seen this happen to small towns and Union alliances alike. I guess none of them are worth the bother in your opinion. It doesn't matter how good of a dueler you are, right now nobody can stop a camper. big or small. On two separate occasions I have been the one going after the camper, On both occasions I was by far the better dueler, On both occasions there was nothing I could do. On both occasions I spent too much time logging on to find some camper still sleeping. Even the Union I am with had this problem recently. We had to wait until he finally left the hotel, We nuked the rest of his town, but sure couldn't do anything about him.

DeletedUser

A 5 minute delay is enough. It gives you a chance to get the camper without handing him to you on a silver platter. It is a game. Camping is simply a strategy, it is not cheating nor against the rules. A lot of this game has to do with strategy.

Funny how my town has no problem hitting campers when we put a little effort into it. There are ways to do it, even when they only pop out for one duel, go back into the hotel then pop back out to hit again in 10-15 minutes.

I'm sure most people wouldn't mind a 5 minute delay. Anything else is just grossly out of line.

I think you are missing my point that if someone is bugging your town enough and being a thorn in your side then your town should make getting that person their priority. I don't see why you shouldn't have to put some effort into the priority.

Status
Not open for further replies.