Feedback The West Classic Server for 15th Birthday

RaiderTr

It's not like we wouldn't want Forts or some other cool features pre v.2.0 but we do with what we have.. (Later versions would need much more code rework)

And as it stands it is still much more interesting/fun than tombola-click fest..

But yea.. Everyone to their own..

DeletedUser15368

There's been an update to the chat script:

https://westdb.info/js/classic.user.js

Tips: Town chat is still struggling, and you need to wait for the names on the right to fully refresh before sending your message.
It's good practice to copy a long message before trying to send it, in case it fails.
Use Tampermonkey, greasemonkey sucks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've said it before but might be good to repeat:
This script is much more than just a "Chat script"

In case some people gives up on it as they don't want Chat.
this script should work with firefox and greasemonkey, right?

I'm getting an error and I don't know enough to fix scripts

error:

Script error in [Greasemonkey script https://westdb.info//West Classic Enhancements; version 1.4.8]: ReferenceError: Bag is not defined

section it's referencing, specific line in bold:

userScript();
})();
} catch (err) {
console.error('Script error in %s:\n%s: %s',
"[Greasemonkey script https://westdb.info//West Classic Enhancements; version 1.4.8]", err.name, err.message);

DeletedUser15368

this script should work with firefox and greasemonkey, right?

I'm getting an error and I don't know enough to fix scripts

error:

Script error in [Greasemonkey script https://westdb.info//West Classic Enhancements; version 1.4.8]: ReferenceError: Bag is not defined

section it's referencing, specific line in bold:

userScript();
})();
} catch (err) {
console.error('Script error in %s:\n%s: %s',
"[Greasemonkey script https://westdb.info//West Classic Enhancements; version 1.4.8]", err.name, err.message);

RaiderTr

Well specifically said Tampermonkey
Should've bolded and used italic on it too though.

Btw it should be 1.5.0 (the update Lulu talking of) not 1.4.8
Okay apparently we can use this in Mobile too. (Thanks Diggo and Lulu)

Steps:
> Download Firefox
> From menu pick Add-ons and download Tampermonkey (via + button)

then go to https://westdb.info/js/classic.user.js and install

refresh the game page and voila.

Ps. Chrome based browsers don't seem to have the option.

Ps. nr.2 It is much more than just a chat script.

Well specifically said Tampermonkey
Should've bolded and used italic on it too though.
I see, and it works now.

I thought it was one of those terms like "google it" meaning just need to search using whatever search engine. So when tampermonkey was used, I thought it was just the script manager you used. My bad, and thanks for the clarification.

Wohali

It seems like I may be going against the grain here, but personally I think the classic game sucked, when you compare it to what we have now. Ok it was an interesting moment down memory lane and at the time it was pretty cool, but I had forgotten how bad the game was back then. For those that want the full experience again, here is a little retro theme music to go along with the game.

DeletedUser15368

It seems like I may be going against the grain here, but personally I think the classic game sucked, when you compare it to what we have now. Ok it was an interesting moment down memory lane and at the time it was pretty cool, but I had forgotten how bad the game was back then. For those that want the full experience again, here is a little retro theme music to go along with the game.
That's fair, it's a completely different game, right?
probably also fair to say that, compared to what we have now, is also why I like it much better.

Beefmeister

pretty much...it's like playing an early build of an unreleased game. the game is much better now but it lacks players. and it's not a coincidence, nobody plays browser games anymore

RaiderTr

nobody plays browser games anymore
*without mobile versions
Either way not everyone can afford absurdly expensive gaming computers.

Anyways..
Well regardless we are enjoying this very early build much more than the tombola-OP sets simulator we have.

That including Diggo, some CMs (news and ex alike) , and even the LCM herself.

I can't imagine the joy the very last version before sets - tombolas and stuff would give.

However this version isn't really for the individuals that depend only to their upgraded-OP sets and ain't up for Team-play..

Last edited:

Wohali

pretty much...it's like playing an early build of an unreleased game. the game is much better now but it lacks players. and it's not a coincidence, nobody plays browser games anymore
I still believe that there are plenty of players that play browser based games.
But you are correct there are a lack of players on most worlds. I see one main reason for this .... there are too many worlds available. Every time a new world is created, some players migrate there and end up giving up playing on worlds they were already on. You can only have so much whiskey in a bottle and if you start pouring it out into glasses, that bottle will empty out. The same is happening on here and the answer is by reducing the amount of worlds numbers will increase on each remaining world.

Harsha..

Is The West a "better game" now? - Sure, they fixed bugs, covered up the exploits and added various useful features. But realistically speaking it's not. In 2008-2011, this game was top notch, one that won "Best browser game of the year" and had endless future potential. It was like the most happening club in town where all the cool people hung out. Now in 2023 it's more like the deary old inn in an obscure part of town and almost all of the patrons have moved on to newer, more interesting places in town. Year on year, everything's mostly the same, you church build, go to FFs with same old tactics and skill build, tombolas and clicky events come and go. Some new sets might be useful, you switch clothes, then go back to doing the same old things in the game.

As a player, the reason I'm playing Classic is that it's something different from the same old old game. I'm flat out bored at this point and it's fun to engage in something where you need to use different tactics, a game that demands more team work to succeed than the modern version. It's also refreshing to see several players come active in Classic and play with zeal.

It took me some years just to get to level 99 when I started playing decades back. Most people today having tasted the speed of modern regular worlds (and especially speed servers) probably wouldn't have the patience for a truly long term classic V1.00 world. But it's still an interesting experience for however long it lasts.

RaiderTr

Most people today having tasted the speed of modern regular worlds (and especially speed servers) probably wouldn't have the patience for a truly long term classic V1.00 world.
I thought I couldn't but I've got a good team and that keeps me going..

Btw we ain't playing this just out of nostalgia. It's just one of the factors.

I haven't been playing for about 1.5 year now.. until this.

DeletedUser15368

There's been an update to the chat script:

https://westdb.info/js/classic.user.js

Tips: Town chat is still struggling, and you need to wait for the names on the right to fully refresh before sending your message.
It's good practice to copy a long message before trying to send it, in case it fails.
Update for the Chat + Classic Enhancements script: The chat is now stable, town chat works. I think we're fully functional now. Last time I'll post about it :D

Still unofficial, but very useful.