What would you like - a migrate poll

Where would you like to migrate to

• The worlds we have now is fine

Votes: 13 46.4%
  • I would like world: Houston, Idaho or Juárez

Votes: 18 64.3%

• Total voters

NovaStar

What NovaStar wrote made me think what would happen if there was a New World creation server which was ultra-slow. We just had a speed server world created and it has almost run its course as it will close soon enough. Playing in the speed world gave me a different perspective on the game. I wonder how a world would play out if the max level any player could achieve actually took a few years? Is it fair to say, one of the stoppers of any world is when the players max out and that can happen in any world after some time before another new world appearsW on the horizon. - just a random off-topic thought.

At one time, people didn't "power-rush" to level. It did take longer to get to level 150 because people took more time to enjoy other parts of the game besides just fort fights or dueling. There was more a camaraderie within alliances. Team Mates worked better together with quests, crafting, etc...even now, my alliance in Idaho does just this. In general, most people got along better too, but it's something about that "don't worry another world will open in a few months mentality that has hurt more than helped people work together to "go the distance".

NovaStar

Yes, i did both. But a start could be migration opening. And if enough players do that, a world could close, if it has low player amount left.

Typically, in the past, when there is a migration...it's automatically stated that the world being migrated out of is closing. That's how it's always been announced too. "world x is closing, so here is migration" basically. There are some people unhappy in their current world, stating they are "Stuck" there are have invested too much to just delete from it. I do not disagree that perhaps those people should be offered a "way out". Not only would they be happier, but also the people playing around them would be too since they tend to spread their dissatisfaction. I don't feel that those people that are so very unhappy though should be the basis for closing the world they are unhappy in since there are many that are satisfied where they are. Perhaps, once a year or so, offer a migration for a "price" to those that feel they have invested too much to delete? Just a thought... At the same time, we have way too many worlds open right now (please, don't open World L this year). Houston is proving that a "comeback" can happen for them, Arizona has gone the distance before and I think they are in a low-period but have a chance for a come back also (this is not their first low period afterall)...there are a few other older worlds though that never did "go the distance" and doesn't look like they can. Newer worlds; however, haven't even been given the chance yet to see what they can work out ... I can easily count about 5 older worlds that look doubtful of being able to make it, but I left those worlds long ago, so I don't know these days.

Last edited:

RaiderTr

So going with reverse logic..
Just because there are some, that are not majority, "happy" peeps around.. Do we have to keep every server open?

I liked the "let's allow and try migrations first" part though.

Poker Alice

@NovaStar Thanks so much for taking the time to explain. I noticed on the speed server roadrunner the "power rush" as you defined it is the main goal of the game. Obviously that has to do with the rewards forthcoming. It was fun to see who would take the lead and in what category. Although played in fast forward what happened in roadrunner does happen in any other world.

How you and delldell56 wrote about the game certainly makes sense and will make the game more enjoyable. I can see how the exchange style of playing works well when alliance players are on the same page/team. Therefore as far as alliance type goals go it does add something extra to game play. Having long time playing is cool too. It was good though in speed server to see everyone start out on the same level.

Some players wish to try out a specific character (achievements) or do something like go after a specific craft or quests. After a while they might wish to try something else. We both know choosing a character or craft skill is something we can do only once in a world. This might apply more to people with less experience. For example, I've had to try dueler a couple of times to really determine if it is for me or not. Generally, like many players I like to stay with something but I think what happens to a lot of people is they have a change of heart or get bored and want to create a new character with other skill sets. How the game is set up determines how it might be played. What happens to worlds or equipment is out of the hands of players.

Anyway, we always need to accept how things are or become cynical and unhappy.

Last edited:

NovaStar

Some players wish to try out a specific character (achievements) or do something like go after a specific craft or quests. After a while they might wish to try something else. We both know choosing a character or craft skill is something we can do only once in a world. This might apply more to people with less experience. For example, I've had to try dueler a couple of times to really determine if it is for me or not. Generally, like many players I like to stay with something but I think what happens to a lot of people is they have a change of heart or get bored and want to create a new character with other skill sets. How the game is set up determines how it might be played. What happens to worlds or equipment is out of the hands of players.

Anyway, we always need to accept how things are or become cynical and unhappy.

For this reason, I don't like how the choices for character or craft professions are offered so early for low-levels that don't even know what they are getting involved in yet and many of them do regret their choices later (many, MANY of them, I have found). For that reason alone, some get so unhappy with their world they start wanting a way out before they even get their feet wet. I would like to see a "potion" or something offered during events to allow a 1-time change of each, ya' know? I do understand with craft professions that can be tricky, BUT with character skill choices, it shouldn't be a hard thing to accomplish, then offering to choose the crafting professions (and maybe character) at a later level... I know of players personally that quit the game altogether just because they were not able to change their character.

Poker Alice

As a newcomer while crafting and buying stuff in the towns it felt it was thee best thing I liked about the west game. The future looked bright with the prospect of settling into a new online game. I was somewhat disappointed when I learned those things were not the primary focus. Is it possible that people get bored with the game or disappointed when they can't get to the top while using these fun features? - I'll try to explain.

I'm inclined to think from another perspective. That perspective might be totally wrong for other players. It's not really about being right or wrong. There is no right or wrong in perspective just different things different folks. If I could design a western game it would be when someone got shot dead they would loose everything, even their character. Dead is dead. They would need to start again at level 1 with a new name. Duels and fort battles would be optional. If someone challenged you to a duel you could refuse. You might get something negative. COWARD! but you have that option. Duelers would have the option of killing and robbing someone anyway but look out that dueler is placed on a wanted list and runs the chance of loosing everything too while in jail or perhaps even a get hanged dead for their outlaw-ish activity.

As you see that kind of west game would be about more of a struggle to stay at the top. Starting over again would just be part of the game. I could just imagine the whining that could take place in that type of game because now you find people all upset about the equipment they are receiving. LOL

I'm so glad to have read something from the world 1 players in regard to friendly interactions with other players though because it has been like a breath of fresh air for me.

delldell56

Can we start a protest? HELL NO WE WON'T GO!!!

:lovetw: :lovetw: :lovetw: :lovetw: :'P
(Just pretend those are picket signs saying we love W1... lol)

I'm really sad about W1 closing... Reyne and Dell both wrote what I feel as well. The whole population on W1 is like a big town where everyone helps each other.

I did duel someone for a quest and apologized via tele... I blamed Inno for making me duel. lol

Seriously tho, is there any way to stop the closure of W1 and maybe open it up to others who want to migrate to it? Or start new toons there...? Of course, our helpful community will have to change a bit if anyone not so helpful were to join... :boone:

How can Inno close out a world with all the history there? That's where The Shadow City started it's reign of terror! I remember being warned not to stray too close to their county. Of course that just made me curious... lol

Don't wanna go!!!! :-(

It sure worked the first time, my crazy friendo, but I don't think it will this time. However, it's worth mentioning that old, old, really OOOOLD players who played since Adam and Eve launched The West for us to live pantless and breeze-ed, and quit a long time ago, whenever they feel like checking the game to see if they want to play again (i.e. the awesome Feathered one, the one and only Victor, the not so stealthy Ninja, etc.) the world they choose to revive their characters is World 1 and not others. That should mean something.

delldell56

As a newcomer while crafting and buying stuff in the towns it felt it was thee best thing I liked about the west game. The future looked bright with the prospect of settling into a new online game. I was somewhat disappointed when I learned those things were not the primary focus. Is it possible that people get bored with the game or disappointed when they can't get to the top while using these fun features? - I'll try to explain.

I'm inclined to think from another perspective. That perspective might be totally wrong for other players. It's not really about being right or wrong. There is no right or wrong in perspective just different things different folks. If I could design a western game it would be when someone got shot dead they would loose everything, even their character. Dead is dead. They would need to start again at level 1 with a new name. Duels and fort battles would be optional. If someone challenged you to a duel you could refuse. You might get something negative. COWARD! but you have that option. Duelers would have the option of killing and robbing someone anyway but look out that dueler is placed on a wanted list and runs the chance of loosing everything too while in jail or perhaps even a get hanged dead for their outlaw-ish activity.

As you see that kind of west game would be about more of a struggle to stay at the top. Starting over again would just be part of the game. I could just imagine the whining that could take place in that type of game because now you find people all upset about the equipment they are receiving. LOL

I'm so glad to have read something from the world 1 players in regard to friendly interactions with other players though because it has been like a breath of fresh air for me.

I understand the sentiment but even though I don't like it one bit, I also have to agree with those who claim the game is called The West and that's how the old wild west used to be: bandits everywhere, shooting, killings, ambushes, robbers. You missed those days when duelers were camping your town for days and weeks until someone managed to KO them. My friend HelenBack here was known for her very particular way to show "love" to builders when worlds were young. Everybody in my towns HATED her with passion :annoyed::roll::'P, and don't make me talk about Kidd Kalypso (to be fair, he mostly is a dueler of duelers). Don't expect that aspect of the game change anytime soon or at all.

Poker Alice

Pipe dreams. :-D But I'm good with the game in the present. Dueling gives a challenge to any building going on. The comradeship in towns and alliances against the opposing towns and alliances helps to make the game more community engaging. New worlds I think can have more conflicts happening in the early stages and so it would be challenging to see those good ole early building times last longer? If a new world where everyone is on an equal footing is presented in the future I could happily join in.

delldell56

Well, here's an update for those concerned about how much migration of World 1 players would disrupt the younger worlds. I checked all worlds from Arizona to Fairbank (for Galveston, Houston, Idaho, Juárez and Kansas you'd have to ask Helen to check those, since she is the only wacko I know that has toons on all worlds and actually plays them all).

1.- Massive XP that would affect the ranking: No need to worry. Our top ranked player would be #5 at best in most of those worlds, falling even way behind to page 5 on Arizona. Told you, we are a bunch of quiet, peaceful, bucolic people enjoying other aspects of the game with zero rushes. A lot of us already have a character in the most active worlds, so I doubt someone would delete their, say Colorado, to move their W1 there. Just as an example, my soldier in Colorado that has been a full-time, hardcore dedicated berry picker for the past 5-6 years, has more XP and earned skills than my adventurer ranked #5 on W1.
2.- Upgraded gear. Again, no worries there. I checked the top 30 players and we mostly wear Madison set or even outdated sets. The more common upgraded sets were speed (some with Miller, and one with Indian set!), Fisherman or those that boost trading. Since we have spent years with limited duels and fort battles, nobody really cared to upgrade those. You'll get a bunch of crafters and full trading, which will be good for the markets.
3.- More skills. A reminder that World 1 is a non premium world, so no skills could be bought. Also, the world may be older than Earth but remained fixed for half the time the game has been running, meaning those new quests that give skills & XP didn't exist back then. If anything, skills earned through new quests, seasonal quests and repeatable quests would amount to the same in Arizona.

We are still very grumpy and unhappy about having to move to other pastures, but it's highly unlikely that we would be a real cause of concern or disruption wherever we land.

Pankreas PorFavor

it's highly unlikely that we would be a real cause of concern or disruption wherever we land.

if you move as a group, you can only bring new life and activity. but, I wouldn't hold my breath if you continue as "a bunch of crafters and full trading" :D ;)
I can only imagine - if you appeared somewhere as a new alliance, start attacking (and taking) forts, dueling people etc. that this would be good for that world. if you split and 10 people go that way, 15 go this way, 20 go third way... there will be no change for anyone.

HelenBack

I checked all worlds from Arizona to Fairbank (for Galveston, Houston, Idaho, Juárez and Kansas you'd have to ask Helen to check those, since she is the only wacko I know that has toons on all worlds and actually plays them all).

Hey! I resemble that remark! :'P :lol:

We are still very grumpy and unhappy about having to move to other pastures, but it's highly unlikely that we would be a real cause of concern or disruption wherever we land.

I totally agree... We still do NOT want to move... W1 has been our home for so many years that we all have our comfy routines, we have our own suites in our towns, our beds have that perfect shape where we've been sleeping for so long.... :'P

What would most people do if someone tried to force you to move when you're so happy where you are? :boone:

As for wherever we migrate to... I don't think it will be a huge impact. It may just shake up the world a bit to get the current population to become more competitive again. I still think we should reopen W1 and allow more to join there... :cooln:

delldell56

if you move as a group, you can only bring new life and activity. but, I wouldn't hold my breath if you continue as "a bunch of crafters and full trading" :D ;)
I can only imagine - if you appeared somewhere as a new alliance, start attacking (and taking) forts, dueling people etc. that this would be good for that world. if you split and 10 people go that way, 15 go this way, 20 go third way... there will be no change for anyone.

True, but that's a big IF yet to be seen. A lot of us haven't made our minds up yet as to where we will go, and I doubt the whole pack will move togeher anyway. Some want to migrate to Colorado to see some action, a few want to go to Briscoe, others are pitching Idaho, etc. Like I said, those who already have characters in Arizona, Briscoe, Colorado or Fairbank (there's not much love for Dakota or El Dorado, it seems) won't likely delete those to move their W1 in. The only closure that I remember caused some conmotion so far was World 11, because the fort fighters of both leading alliances agreed to move to Arizona, and that enthusiasm faded off rather quickly. Many that liked the peace and tranquility of W1 would end up townless in the next place, the only difference that would join a battle or two more often.

NovaStar

Past experience with migrations...usually a whole pack will not move together. The pack usually splits at that point. Just my experience. Your current alliance, if you have one will diminish in all likelihood.

delldell56

Past experience with migrations...usually a whole pack will not move together. The pack usually splits at that point. Just my experience. Your current alliance, if you have one will diminish in all likelihood.
That's what happened in the past, certainly. Those who were in Arizona or Briscoe or anywhere else, and W11 or W12, already had towns, alliances, etc. They would not delete their characters to move another, unless they liked their old toons better, nor would leave their towns or alliances to join their relocated old town. There is a lot of talking on W1 about migrating as a pack, but I expect the packs will be not much bigger than maybe 20 players per world at best.

P.S. I forgot the one alliance that moved together from W6 to W12, and managed to kill a second active world by repeating their multi ways and getting the established players frustrated and bored, driving them to quit. I don't expect it to happen ever again, mostly because the leading player was permanently banned when the damage was already done, and nobody in W1 is that rotten to try to ruin the game for others.