They all feel emotions.

Poker Alice

Animals have Feelings
While living in the countryside and occupied with yard work I was approached by a raccoon. It was behaving very strangely and my first thought was that of danger. Could the animal be sick, suffering from the disease called rabies?

I stood still observing its every move. It looked at me with some kind of facial expression I could not recognize immediately. It’s head was moving from side to side and its movements were confusing. Then it did the strangest thing.

Beside my property a creek flowed quietly in contentment. The animal ran to the lands edge and jumped into the water. It did not try to swim but ran it’s head underwater. I was perplexed at this behavior. Something was definitely wrong with it! Just then the neighbors dog appeared barking in my fence-less yard. It must have been watching the event as well. His playful manner indicated he was intent on performing the chase game. I was afraid for the dog.

With this canine intrusion the raccoon seemed to snap out of its strange condition, swam quickly to the shoreline, turned its head around looking into my soul with those dark eyes and darted off into the woods as any raccoon normally might do.

I didn’t think anymore of it until later when my neighbor came by to say hello. We might talk about the weather but that day he mentioned casually that some pregnant raccoon had been killed by someones car on the road very near home. That tiny bit of news sent chills running down my spine.

Tucker Blue

Baby deer rescue and release.
Now i know a lot of people use that word a tad liberally but this was literally a rescue. It just goes to show us what a Kingdom without laws is like.
In the wild, injury = sorry mate gotta leave you behind.

This can also be a good language lesson. This is savage. The animalistic idea of leaving the injured behind to inevitably be attacked by a predator but if you don't, you raise your own chances of getting attacked by a predator which in turn lowers your chance of reproducing.. It comes from the Latin word salvaticus which means "wild", literally "of the woods". It represents the lawlessness of the Animal Kingdom.

Ryan Reynolds making jokes on talk shows is not savage.
Jeff Ross roasting strangers is not savage.
Street/cage/octagon fights are not savage.
A mountain lion eating a fallen elk, savage.
A massive herd of wildebeest migrating across a countryside, savage.
A pit of snakes slithering around in a huge tangled pile, savage.
A family of beavers gnawing down trees to build a dam, savage.
A butterfly fluttering around in a field of flowers, savage

i know that's probably not what Merriam Webster Inc. would like you to think but yeah, that's what savage means, or should mean. One definition, salvaticus had one definition so why wouldn't savage? Why wouldn't any word have one meaning and one meaning alone? i know why but i'm not sure if many of you can assimilate the truth. Our language which is literally babble, not a language named English. was carefully crafted to keep our subconscious mind in a stand down state. If a person spoke English to us right now we'd think they were high, babbling incoherently. Many of our words that are based in Latin but hijacked by 14th century France literally mean the opposite of their Latin counterpart.

Wow, that's a lot to digest. That wasn't my intention. i just wanted to show you the injured deer they healed and returned. :D

Last edited: