Everyone wants to be an adventurer - the problem with character classes

Harsha..

In my town, multiple new players appear, some of them grow and others disappear. Usually, I try to give them advice as best as I can, but by the time I recruit them, they have already decided upon the most important, player defining feature - character class.

A disproportionate number of the best and most dedicated players wind up choosing the adventurer class. Inversely. there is a disproportionately low number who pick worker class.

http://prntscr.com/ly8jn4
http://prntscr.com/ly8kax

Many players, even the older ones don't seem to fully understand the class mechanics. Many dismiss workers as useless. When they are awesome in building church, gaining EXP and leveling up very quickly (a common complaint among new players is that they level up too slow) and they get godlike stats in battles.

https://imgur.com/cL2cbEZ

Most who eventually choose worker class are only the most experienced and seasoned players who actually understand the true potential of workers. The tragic thing as far as adventurers go is their bonuses look the best initially, but matter less and less as time goes by. In battles, their character bonus benefits the alliance more than the individual. They miss a lot, get hit more (when not ghosting) and gain less bonds when compared to the other classes. This leads me to two core points

A) Why are players encouraged to choose character class at level 10?

That is like asking a 5 year old kid to decide what he wants to become and whatever he chooses is permanent. Unless he is willing to be born again and go through puberty a second time, he's struck with that choice forever. What makes this even more farcical is they have to choose character class before taking part in their first battle. FFs, by far are the single most engaging thing in the game and long after doing all quests and reaching level 150, players keep on enjoying battles.

Something like level 50 or higher would be more appropriate for choosing class

B) Why is there no option to change the character class?

There are potions to reset your build, but nothing for character class. Changing build is all well and good, but character class still deeply influences gameplay and certain things in the game aren't easy if you picked the wrong class.

Another thing to be kept in mind is that you have players who have been a dueller for 8-10 years. They aren't willing to start a new toon, but are bored with the same thing over and over again. Allow them to switch, to a soldier and suddenly, that player gains a new perspective and views the game through a fresh prism and consequently becomes more active and engaged.

Resolving these questions would only serve to dramatically improve gameplay and make things much more interesting.

asdf124

How about novice experience for character classes, once you choose a class, it isn't set and done. You can accumulate class experience and that can be used to change your character's class?

Al35ul

The problem I see with this is that it's based on data collected from how many worlds? One? Two? Just because adventurers are popular over other classes in one world,that doesn't mean it's the same on the whole server. I also play on a .ro world and the majority of players there are duelers.

Most who eventually choose worker class are only the most experienced and seasoned players who actually understand the true potential of workers

I know people who have been here since the start of the game who are not workers, I still think they're experienced.

Your main focus of why people choose character class seems to be fort fighting,when this is not the case. In my all years of playing this game,I have only once chosen my character class because of forts. People choose them for various reasons,not just forts :p.

I agree that new players should be helped more with choosing their class - changing it from level 10 to 50 would actually be great :). I currently have an adventurer in briscoe, a duelist in Fairbank and a worker that I barely play in Colorado; I would love to have a soldier too but I wouldn't swap any of the character I currently have to get a soldier...nor will I bother starting a new world. So I'm not in favour of allowing a character change.

The main reason I've seen people choose workers is because of the XP bonus (being no.1 in rankings seems to tickle their feet.

This does not mean I don't like workers,I love having them in forts,I just don't think they're that underrated. The reason why there's so few of them (and any other class for that matter) is because the majority of worlds only have 500-600 active players.

Last edited:

DeletedUser35533

The problem I see with this is that it's based on data collected from how many worlds? One? Two? Just because adventurers are popular over other classes in one world,that doesn't mean it's the same on the whole server. I also play on a .ro world and the majority of players there are duelers.
Does it matter which class is truly more popular? Im sure all get a desire for change from time to time

Harsha..

The problem I see with this is that it's based on data collected from how many worlds? One? Two? Just because adventurers are popular over other classes in one world,that doesn't mean it's the same on the whole server. I also play on a .ro world and the majority of players there are duelers..

The two screenshots are from the biggest alliances on Colorado. But, since you asked. The following is from the biggest alliances on Az and Briscoe. The last one, I believe is from your own alliance on Briscoe.

http://prntscr.com/lzzvvi
http://prntscr.com/lzzw7a
http://prntscr.com/lzzwsd
http://prntscr.com/lzzwn4

But - you've missed the point of my post completely. The point is, people make premature class choices, gravitate towards a certain number of classes (dueler can be said to be the second popular choice) while failing to see the benefits of other classes. Many players I know wish they'd waited before they picked their class.

Your main focus of why people choose character class seems to be fort fighting,when this is not the case. In my all years of playing this game,I have only once chosen my character class because of forts. People choose them for various reasons,not just forts :p.

I think you do appreciate the logic behind using representative examples. By far, classes affect fort battles the most. So, I used it as an example. The same logic can be applied elsewhere in the game, for sure. Someone chooses dueller class, after a while, he decides to just do jobs and nothing else - then they will want to switch to adventurer class. But, again, like I said - at the endgame, when you are 150, the most you do is either forting or duels.

The main reason I've seen people choose workers is because of the XP bonus (being no.1 in rankings seems to tickle their feet.

This does not mean I don't like workers,I love having them in forts,I just don't think they're that underrated. The reason why there's so few of them (and any other class for that matter) is because the majority of worlds only have 500-600 active players.

Not quite. Colorado used to get many new players, and my town had dozens of them at any point. In talking with people, I easily gathered not many of them actually considered worker class and many didn't think much about them. To fully grasp that, you have to actually interact with the new guys like I did for many months. Also - becoming worker just to be no 1 doesn't cross many people's minds - they just want to get to 150 quickly.

There are a surprisingly amount of people who want class change. I do appreciate you're one of the rare ones who is content with his class, but many others genuinely want a change. After a number of years, I'm sure I'll want to switch to another class for variety. The question is why class change isn't available in the game.

Pankreas PorFavor

The question is why class change isn't available in the game.

to make it easier for you to decide to start a new character in a new world, but still keep the old one because you invested time, effort, money(?) and connected with other players. and the chance to buy nuggets and increase Innogames' income is higher...

Al35ul

"The point is,people make premature class choices"

And this is where I agreed, the majority of these people are new players who don't know the game.

"By far,classes affect fort battles the most "

Sure,if this was a few years ago. But when you have leadership soldiers deal more damage in battles than duelers (I've actually seen fort reports where a leadership soldier with a lvl 1 Lucille lasso dealt more damage in battles than duelers and even someone with a lvl 3 chef gun) and adventurers getting slaughtered on towers in one round (again, I've seen numerous examples), do classes really matter as much as you say they do? Overpowered item sets is what affects forts the most (in most situations) - classes became redundant long ago.

"Someone chooses dueler,after a while,he decides to do jobs and nothing else"

I used to have a 150 dueler on Az and I've been through every aspect of the game with it and ,for example, working was no different from what I could have done with an adventurer, simply because I had the item sets needed.

"I do appreciate you're one of the rare ones..."

I'm by no means against allowing players to change their class,I just don't see the point of it ,when there are stupid sets that allow you to , literally,do everything. But I will admit : 1. Making classes good again and reducing the use of tombola sets is something I am very much in favour of . 2. A quest around the subject of changing class is definitely something I would do.