DeletedUser

Have only just discovered how to read these. Some of the things people have written puzzles me. I ask a simple question and someone asks me if I've been living under a rock. Isn't that the point of asking questions, to get an answer to something you do not yet know? Strange.
I emphasise something - either in bold or in capitals - simply to emphasise that that particular word has an emphasis - (such as that there) and I get messages saying that I am shouting or being aggressive.
I know, I know. Everyone is entitled to their say. I just find it all a bit...troubling, is all.
I didn't even know I had a reputation. Now that I have found it though, I will read what people say, good or bad.
If I kept my messages all bland and emphasis-free though, they wouldn't be very interesting. It would be like talking to someone in a monotonous tone of voice.
Still, each to their own. :)

Deleted User - 1693871

Some people use the red rep to be the unfriendly side of blunt. Maybe all rep should be auto signed by the forum with the person's username.

DeletedUser

Some people use the red rep to be the unfriendly side of blunt. Maybe all rep should be auto signed by the forum with the person's username.
I agree with you there. Someone has been deliberately 'negativing' me with the most stupid and ridiculous comments that don't even make sense. I guess there will always be people like that on the internet. :(

I have 1 grey, how does one get those?
I have a few of those. If they're anything like eBay, they are 'Neutral'.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeletedUser29831

No grey ones, but got some anononymous red ones. Ah well, don't bother me. I just reckon those giving bad rep anonymously are just cowards. :donkey:

Apelatia

Grey reps come from those who don't have enough reputation or posts of their own to be allowed to give green or red reputation to other users. Don't quote me on that though... Someone who was around in the era when spreading reputation was very popular will know better... You can't give grey rep out of choice though in general, unless you find yourself with red reputation, then I suppose you could...

Make the right friends and you might find yourself with a high reputation I suppose...

This thread is used a lot for posting rep messages that have been received: http://forum.the-west.net/showthread.php?t=37710

DeletedUser33353

TBH, when this forum was started..the rep thing was important.
Now?
Meh, everyone knows everyone......so, reps are passed around as courtesy.
Someone please correct me if I am in the wrong.
(And I always sign my reps, green or red :) )

Sambee

The West Team
Forum moderator
Apelatia is correct in saying that you must have a certain number of posts or rep before being able to give green or red rep. That's so no one can just sign up to the forum and give random rep to everyone.
Rep is meant to be used for acknowledging someone's post whilst you have nothing to add to the conversation. Examples are if you want to say "+1" or "I agree/Disagree" then the colour rep required for your opinion.
The system can and has been used to troll users, such as the "wekek" saga which occurred a couple of years ago but we really discourage users from using the rep system inappropriately.
If you would like to reply to a rep you recieved go to the link in apelatia's post. Only use this thread to discuss the system.

Last edited:

Deleted User - 3853873

I had problem with the grammar police on my rep and let it get to me some,but after taking break from the forums for while because of it.I decided heck with it and just dont check it anymore lol. i do wish with that rep stuff the person leaving good or bad would have thier name posted,so as you could take it as someone knows what they are talking about or just a rude person.And if you read these forums and post enough you can tell the rude a holes lol

DeletedUser

Thanks for the posts guys. :)
I agree that it would be nice to know who posted what rep' though. Comparing it once more to eBay, (Yes, I know this is a different animal, but bear with me), on there, people leave positive or negative feedback (or neutral), but their username is listed, so you know who has said what about you and so do others.
I suppose one drawback on here might be that if someone posted a negative remark, if their name was listed, the person receiving the negative might take offence and post some nasty PM's to that person.
As has been said though, reputation isn't such a big-dog on here any longer. Just out of sheer vanity, I would like to see lots of little green squares next to my name, but other than that, let people say what they will.
I'm far too old to be bothered by some petulant child having a rant at me. :D

Deleted User - 1693871

Micky, you're a good example of why red rep at the very least should be autosigned by the forum. People get their friends to join in red repping others and it's very childish.

DeletedUser26820

Big John --

Do as I would do: Play your game, live your life, and offer your opinion as if there's no one else in the room to cast judgement.

Why do you care what someone else thinks of your opinion??

It's your opinion, bro.

Would you change your opinion if you knew beforehand what someone would think of it?
Because if that's the case, you're offering some pretty weak opinions...

Don't let red CPR push you around or change your opinion....

Don't let that happen or make excuses for it...

Apelatia

When I first joined, there were a few wekeks still being passed around, but I feel that the number was far less than what it had previously been... I haven't the slightest clue who it was that was passing them around though. I can say that at least one of the wekeks that I received came from someone with large rep power.

DeletedUser35101

There is only one way to avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, and BE nothing!

On red reputation.. try looking it in a way.. you were right on what you said, others just didn't "like it / wanted to hear it"

Many are childish and spiteful.. and no matter what you say (good or bad / right or wrong) they WILL give you red reputation just because they can, no reason on why..

Less you care about it, better for you and worse for them :p

Only say "Thank you" for both.. since both (red and green) DO mean something.. hell they spent few minutes thinking about you to give you that red reputation, didn't they?! :cool:
But do have courage to sign your name too on giving red reputation and also, do give meaningful reson on why.. without it.. it really means nothing! :p

Last edited by a moderator:

Pankreas PorFavor

It seems that auto-signing for reputation was implemented:
2s00h80.png

You just have to laugh at people like that :)